Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,212 members, 7,846,024 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Wole Soyinka Blasts F.G - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Blasts F.G (621 Views)

Herdsmen Invade Wole Soyinka's Residence In Ogun / Evander Holyfield Fights Bola Tinubu In Lagos, Wole Soyinka Is Referee-pm NEWS / Soyinka Blasts Buhari Over Herdsmen Killings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Blasts F.G by LiveFromNaija1: 1:16pm On Nov 24, 2015

Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka speaking yesterday, November 23 showed his exasperation over pupils who wear school uniforms that depict their religion in Nigeria.

he made this stand at the inauguration of a N750m school built by the Osun State Government in Ejigbo. The school was named after him. Professor Soyinka warned against dividing the pupils along religious lines by allowing them to wear uniforms that portrayed their religious distinctions. furthermore, he pointed out that the feeling of holier than thou was one of the factors that brought about the abduction of the Chibok girls by Boko Haram militants.

Soyinka also chastised the federal government for not being able to rescue the kidnapped Chibok girls since they were abducted by Boko Haram. He described it as a “shame” on the federal government.

He said;

“One of the ways we can reduce this fatalistic sense of holiness is to reduce the element of difference. I wish to implore that we do not distinguish our children by their religions. In schools, we need not distinguish our children, the fatalistic religious holiness and the holier-than-thou attitude must be reduced among our pupils. It is a shame that the nation cannot account for over 200 girls in Chibok. I sympathize with the religious policy of governments in school; children must not be brought up feeling that religion inhibits knowledge.”

Source: http://blog.livefromnaija.com/2015/11/24/wole-soyinka-lashes-out-on-the-fg/

cc Lalasticlala
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts F.G by palladin: 1:27pm On Nov 24, 2015
I don't think there is anything this govt can do to separate religion from the peoples lives. That might heat up the polity.

Someone whose religion is Elegun (masquerade) should simply put on his 'eku' (gown) and go to school. smiley smiley

Check my signature.

(1) (Reply)

A New Leader Has Been Born - The True Modern Leader / The Sylva We Know Is Emerging? / Nairalanders Please Answer This Question(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.