Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Kogi Supplementary Elections: When The Law Becomes A Burden - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kogi Supplementary Elections: When The Law Becomes A Burden (447 Views)

Kogi Supplementary Election Results / Tinubu Insists On Faleke For The Kogi Supplementary Election / APC Will Only Substitute Audu For Kogi Supplementary Election - Attorney General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kogi Supplementary Elections: When The Law Becomes A Burden by princeSammyz: 8:42pm On Nov 24, 2015
INEC has decided to go on with supplementary elections to conclude the Kogi election, and APC has been permitted to import a fresh candidate to inherit Prince Abubakar Audu’s votes. Deciding to conclude the ongoing Kogi election was based, in part, on Section 221 of the Constitution which interprets that the votes that were cast were cast in favour of the APC and not the candidate.
I see this as hiding under the veil of corporate personality to perpetuate injustice. Injustice against democracy, against the electorates, against the other political parties and against the people at large. A party does not emerge as governor, only a candidate does? So, people, in actual sense, vote for the candidate through the platform of the party. If you would permit me to crudely say, APC holds the votes in trust for its candidate. Allowing the APC to randomly select a candidate of their choice to continue with the supplementary Kogi election automatically robs the people of their fundamental right to choose their own leader and hands it to some privileged, probably non-indigenous excos of the APC. What Constitution robs its own people? I feel the Law, by virtue of this decision, sympathizes with, and hence favours the APC, at the expense of the people. This seems to me like a circumstantial ambush on the electorates; the Law has just given room to choose a side after the coin is tossed. I wonder what would have been so wrong with a fresh election, which to me would have been the fairest and most just.

(1) (Reply)

Politics / Buhari Leaves For S-africa Today To Discuss Railway, Power Projects / An Advice To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.