Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,072 members, 7,953,276 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:24 PM

10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know (26574 Views)

Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. / New Solar Device Removes Carbon Dioxide From The Atmosphere / Some Scientists You Probably Don't Know But Probably Should. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Krystalzkris(f): 3:01pm On Nov 27, 2015
cool post... Am happy it made front page
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 27, 2015
Nice one OP.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 27, 2015
ELgordo:
HOW ABOUT WHEN YOU MESS?

The gas then settles in the Mesosphere.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by dfolan: 3:02pm On Nov 27, 2015
TimothyNkenu:
How does this stop Buhari from travelling like a German tourist?
this is most stupid and dumb comment of the week. Someone just took his time educate us on something very pivotal to your existence on earth rather than asking intelligent questions or be objective with your comment all you could come out with is this rubbish. Hello there, you are not programmed comment on every thread if you have nothing to contribute please don't comment. Knowledge is power, I implore you to get yourself enlightened to fill seemingly vacuum in your mind
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by deewhone(f): 3:04pm On Nov 27, 2015
Educating...love these kinda topics, anytn geography or earth related
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by braimeddy: 3:07pm On Nov 27, 2015
mrphysics can u explain why windows are not opened in top floors of a skyscrapers?
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by darlenese(f): 3:21pm On Nov 27, 2015
Interesting piece , I'm sure bullhari will like it too grin

When he returns from malta , His next visit will be to TROTOSPHERE
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 27, 2015
mrphysics:
Am a physicist(Geophysics/Meteorologist), I put up this writing to educate my fellow nairalanders, I hope u enjoy it.
feel free to ask your questions after reading, and ignore any typographical error
Let's get started

10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE ATMOSPHERE

5: THE HIGHER YOU GO, THE COOLER IT BECOMES? TRUE OR FALSE?
It is true in the layer of the atmosphere where we live. The earth’s atmosphere is divided into five layers: TROPOSHERE, STRATOSPHERE, MESOSPHERE, THERMOSPHERE and EXOSPHERE. The statement is true only in TROPOSHERE (0-15KM above sea level) and in MESOSPHERE. A process called LAPSE RATE (the decrease in temperature with height). Outside these two layers, inversion occurs (the higher you go, the hotter it becomes)
[/b]

This is not true bro, this condition changes with day and night, such that the condition changes adiabatically.

At night, even from 6 pm, the ground is cooler and it gets hotter as you go higher, this is because the ground begins to release the absorbed heat energy from the sun, but in the afternoons, it gets colder as you go higher, this is because the sun heats the earth surface, and radiation occurs. So the further from the surface, the cooler.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 27, 2015
braimeddy:
mrphysics can u explain why windows are not opened in top floors of a skyscrapers?
The same reason you don't open the windows in a plane. Pressure up there is very low for our body system. Like he rightly said, we have fewer air molecules compared to the elevation up there.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by LEXYCOM: 3:38pm On Nov 27, 2015
I wish I understood all u have just written........I hated geography while in school
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Ups01(m): 3:39pm On Nov 27, 2015
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 27, 2015
Good one Mr Njoku, continue to represent us well.

#ProudlyaPhysicist #ProudlyaSuperlioness
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 3:46pm On Nov 27, 2015
END TIME ATMOSPHERE
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by arnold123: 3:48pm On Nov 27, 2015
Osirimononaye:
Honestly I Love Your Write Up...Very Educative
*No End Time*..
Na u knw
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by deebrain(m): 3:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
TimothyNkenu:
How does this stop Buhari from travelling like a German tourist?

Receive Sense in Jesus Name.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by pus22: 3:59pm On Nov 27, 2015
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 4:00pm On Nov 27, 2015
Segadem:
Atmossphere is divided into 5, which one the plane will fly beyond?
all our air transportation is within the troposphere, it does not go beyond this layer of the atmosphere.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by BobNeli(m): 4:02pm On Nov 27, 2015
Njoku Chukwudi, these explanations follows that, from datu level to the highest hights we see air planes fly, is not not above 15km?
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by bibiazim1: 4:03pm On Nov 27, 2015
Fantastic write-up OP. Number 3 however is a bit off. Green house gasses are called that because of the green house effect, a phenomenon known to occur in green houses.Green houses are built to shelter vegetables in growing season.They are designed in such a way as to let light in for photosynthesis of the vegetables, the problem with green houses is that, when sunlight enters, it brings heat energy which reflects off the floor. In reflecting, the sunlight loses energy and cannot re-penertrate the transparent roof of the green house, becoming trapped along with the heat energy. This raises the temperatures within the green house to fatal levels for the vegetables, killing them. This is the same principle global warming works on.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 4:04pm On Nov 27, 2015
Ikegift4real:
hightension . hw was life in carva building?
brother I sight you. very tough oooo. but God helped us. how r u doing sir
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Segadem(m): 4:08pm On Nov 27, 2015
mrphysics:
all our air transportation is within the troposphere, it does not go beyond this layer of the atmosphere.
ok, Thanks
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 4:09pm On Nov 27, 2015
ELgordo:
HOW ABOUT WHEN YOU MESS?

that area becomes "Messophere" grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 4:15pm On Nov 27, 2015
braimeddy:
sir, at such high elevation, the building may not withstand pressure and force from the wind, it's just same reason while plane windows are always closed. the motion of wind is complicated and it can cause the building to loose balance. just in a language that everyone can understand, hope it helps.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 4:20pm On Nov 27, 2015
YesIam:

This is not true bro, this condition changes with day and night, such that the condition changes adiabatically.

At night, even from 6 pm, the ground is cooler and it gets hotter as you go higher, this is because the ground begins to release the absorbed heat energy from the sun, but in the afternoons, it gets colder as you go higher, this is because the sun heats the earth surface, and radiation occurs. So the further from the surface, the cooler.

I can't help but laugh. sir the process you are talking about is what we call land and sea breeze. it's secondary school topics. Anyway, in the stratosphere, they exist the ozone layer, this layer absorbs light rays from the sun, when this happens, the molecules of this layer heats up and it is the reason why temperature increases with height. this process is called INVERSION I.e temperature inversion. oga, we have gone very far.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 27, 2015
mrphysics:

I can't help but laugh. sir the process you are talking about is what we call land and sea breeze. it's secondary school topics. Anyway, in the stratosphere, they exist the ozone layer, this layer absorbs light rays from the sun, when this happens, the molecules of this layer heats up and it is the reason why temperature increases with height. this process is called INVERSION I.e temperature inversion. oga, we have gone very far.

Sorry man, no need, best you should do is enquire, I even wonder why you're laughing. Because you bagged a BSc?
So you mean inversion doesn't happen? What do you know about stable and unstable atmosphere? AQI? Lapse rate?
Anyways, you tried, but sometimes you need to take corrections.
Go read up again and tell me temperature inversion never occurs.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 4:26pm On Nov 27, 2015
bibiazim1:
Fantastic write-up OP. Number 3 however is a bit off. Green house gasses are called that because of the green house effect, a phenomenon known to occur in green houses.Green houses are built to shelter vegetables in growing season.They are designed in such a way as to let light in for photosynthesis of the vegetables, the problem with green houses is that, when sunlight enters, it brings heat energy which reflects off the floor. In reflecting, the sunlight loses energy and cannot re-penertrate the transparent roof of the green house, becoming trapped along with the heat energy. This raises the temperatures within the green house to fatal levels for the vegetables, killing them. This is the same principle global warming works on.
I here you sir, from your words it shows you understand it. the gases I mentioned there are all green house gases. this gases follow your explanation. thanks anyway
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 4:31pm On Nov 27, 2015
YesIam:

Sorry man, no need, best you should do is enquire, I even wonder why you're laughing. Because you bagged a BSc?
So you mean inversion doesn't happen? What do you know about stable and unstable atmosphere? AQI? Lapse rate?
Anyways, you tried, but sometimes you need to take corrections.
Go read up again and tell me temperature inversion never occurs.
oga let's not argue. but the truth remains that in stratosphere, thermosphere, exosphere, temperatures increase with height. you may be a meteorologist, but it's the truth. am not laughing at your post, its my of life. thanks
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Homguy(m): 4:42pm On Nov 27, 2015
mrphysics:

6: DOES PLANEs FLY BEYONG THE TROPOSHERE
Negative, our planes does not fly beyond this layer of the atmosphere, perhaps because it cannot withstand the pressure of the nearest layer of the atmosphere. .[/b]
you said , and its generally known that pressure drops with Height , what do you mean by " Planes do not fly above the Troposphere because they can't withstand pressure at that height, what do you mean? Or are you referring to negative pressure?
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Angama(m): 4:47pm On Nov 27, 2015
menesheh:
Nice one.

Bringing scientific knowledge to the doorpost of the unscientific Nigerian youths who still think that those natural phenomena are being propel by the hand of god.
Who made the atmosphere? You?

Lalasticlala
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by babatgtr: 4:50pm On Nov 27, 2015
Nice one, its educative
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 27, 2015
mrphysics:

oga let's not argue. but the truth remains that in stratosphere, thermosphere, exosphere, temperatures increase with height. you may be a meteorologist, but it's the truth. am not laughing at your post, its my of life. thanks

Well, we've gone back and forth all for knowledge, and its good. I did my MSc thesis on Air quality management.
You did great bro, keep it up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Www.whatsapp.com| Download Whatsapp On Android, On Ipad / The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. / Leopard Saves Baby Baboon After Killing its Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.