Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,536 members, 7,827,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi (1087 Views)

Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill / Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? / 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi by DebbyJose: 5:37pm On Nov 27, 2015
Feminism is a movement that has over the years been introduced and widely adopted in Nigeria and the world at large as a mechanism that seeks justice for women and end sexism in all forms. In many of its contexts, feminism seems to involve at least two claims, one normative and the other descriptive. The normative claim concerns how women ought (or ought not) to be viewed and treated and draws on a background conception of justice or broad moral position. The descriptive claim concerns how women are, as a matter of fact, viewed and treated, alleging that they are not being treated in accordance with the standards of justice or morality invoked in the normative claim.

Together, the two claims provide reasons for working to change the way things are; hence, feminism is not just an intellectual but also a political movement. This movement has been propagated by so many illustrious personalities all over Africa such as Ghanaian-British documentary filmmaker, producer, and writer, Yaba Badoe; Liberian peace activist, women’s rights advocate and Nobel Peace Laureate, Leymah Gbowee; and Nigeria’s acclaimed author, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie; who have all identified themselves as feminists and have written and given speeches on various current topics relating to women’s issues in Africa and beyond.

In a personal, eloquently-argued essay adapted from her much-admired TED talk on “we should all be feminist” and sampled by Beyonce in her track, “Flawless”, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie defined a feminist as a “person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.” Does this definition reflect its true meaning? This question continues to be a boggler while observing the situation of things currently faced by men in the society. Whenever gender inequality is mentioned, our focus is usually on women; that women should receive equal respect, opportunities, and payment as men, and have the right to choose what happens to their bodies. These are terrible problems that women face to some degree in most countries around the world. However, gender inequality is an issue that affects men too. According to Emma Watson, an actress and Goodwill Ambassador for United Nations, in a speech at the UN General Assembly, “fighting for women’s rights has become synonymous with man-hating”. I may be wrong, but feminism has been so over flogged that women in some countries are now seen as superior beings entitled to some privileges when compared to men, thus losing the true essence of equality between sexes.

For recruitment in a banking sector, statistics has shown that banks prefer attractive women (and in few cases, attractive men) for posts which involve direct interactions with medium to high-profile clients. I have never been to a bank and seen more men than women on the counter accepting money and paying cheques given by the customers. I agree that this may be uncomfortable for some attractive women in question especially those who are not aware of the hidden purpose for their recruitment. But even among those who are aware, many are offended. Only a few are concerned. On one side, the banks are not necessarily at fault for being capitalistic and business minded, but it is discrimination nevertheless because there are male graduates who are good at sales and communication but left to roam the streets with their certificates all because they are not women.

Face the facts: Nowadays, women are paid more, given more second chances, sided more and are gaining too much of advantage over men. A skinny guy can be ridiculed by girls, called a wimp, unmanly, womanly and every other thing you can imagine but if he dares open his mouth and point out a fat girl eating McDonalds, he will be flamed to high hell. When relationships fail, it’s a fact that men get tragically overlooked when it comes to getting custody of their children. According to statistics, women receive custody of children 92% of the time in cases of divorce and illegitimacy. People will argue that the children need to stay close to their mothers but this astoundingly high number means that men are being denied the opportunity to become positive role models in their children’s lives. Consider as well that the average child support payment due from women is half the amount due from men. And despite this fact, women are twice as likely as men to default on child support payments. Unlike women, society prevents men from showing emotions and vulnerabilities. While it’s perfectly permissible for women to be aggressive, the moment men let down their guard and cry they are accused of being effeminate.

They have real feelings as well, but unlike women, they don’t have the freedom to express them openly without having their masculinity and even their sexuality fall under question. Women have been in space, fought in wars and have served as heads of state, so why is it that men are termed the bad guy if they fail to hold a door open for a woman? Has it ever occurred to you that the guy who devised the “ladies first” policy may have created it just to check out his girlfriend’s ass? When it comes to equal treatment and equal rights for equal pay, women make more noise than a backfiring Bulldog. So why is it that when it comes to picking up a dinner bill, these same women suddenly become mute? Ladies can’t have it both ways. Being equal means assuming equal duties. With great paychecks come great responsibilities.

Even in television series, men are mostly depicted as grossly incompetent. From Family Guy to the Simpsons to King of Queens. According to Marge, Homer “chews with his mouth open, hangs out at a seedy bar with bums and lowlifes, blows his nose in towels and puts them back, and scratches himself with his keys”. Similarly, Family Guy’s Peter Griffin is a lovable oaf who “isn’t afraid to say what’s on his mind; usually the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time”. The women in these same series, meanwhile, project an almost saintly glow as long-suffering wives and dedicated mothers. It’s a sad fact that we’re living in the world where unsubstantiated statements can be made about men when these same claims would never be tolerated if they were directed at women.
Source: http://citypeopleng.com/feminism-a-wrong-perception-of-equality-uchegbu-ndubuisi/
Re: Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi by HungerBAD: 5:41pm On Nov 27, 2015
Following.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi by raayah(f): 5:52pm On Nov 27, 2015
Thank you for your post. I'm very glad that you brought this up! Let's discuss your main points. In regards to feminism in Nigeria.

For recruitment in a banking sector, statistics has shown that banks prefer attractive women (and in few cases, attractive men) for posts which involve direct interactions with medium to high-profile clients. I have never been to a bank and seen more men than women on the counter accepting money and paying cheques given by the customers. I agree that this may be uncomfortable for some attractive women in question especially those who are not aware of the hidden purpose for their recruitment. But even among those who are aware, many are offended. Only a few are concerned. On one side, the banks are not necessarily at fault for being capitalistic and business minded, but it is discrimination nevertheless because there are male graduates who are good at sales and communication but left to roam the streets with their certificates all because they are not women.

The main reason why most women are chosen in fields like this is because women are better than men when it comes to customer service.
men are recruited into manual labour and armed forces because they tend to possess more physical strength on average than most women.
Now OP, would you let a female mechanic or electrician or plumber fix your assets? I'm pretty sure you might refuse in the real world even though the female may be skilled.
Isn't this discrimination against women?
Let's face it, men and women have strengths in different areas.

Face the facts: Nowadays, women are paid more, given more second chances, sided more and are gaining too much of advantage over men. A skinny guy can be ridiculed by girls, called a wimp, unmanly, womanly and every other thing you can imagine but if he dares open his mouth and point out a fat girl eating McDonalds, he will be flamed to high hell.

This is a straw-man argument. Both male and female are capable of being insensitive to any genders.
Research has shown that most of the women are ridiculed for their weight, are being ridiculed by other women.

In social media, especially in Nigeria. Thin girls are ridiculed with words like pelenge , flat yansh etc. While curvy women are praised.

When relationships fail, it’s a fact that men get tragically overlooked when it comes to getting custody of their children. According to statistics, women receive custody of children 92% of the time in cases of divorce and illegitimacy. People will argue that the children need to stay close to their mothers but this astoundingly high number means that men are being denied the opportunity to become positive role models in their children’s lives. Consider as well that the average child support payment due from women is half the amount due from men. And despite this fact, women are twice as likely as men to default on child support payments. Unlike women, society prevents men from showing emotions and vulnerabilities. While it’s perfectly permissible for women to be aggressive, the moment men let down their guard and cry they are accused of being effeminate.

Sadly, there are few to none child custody battles in Nigeria. Its not really a thing.
Besides, we can almost all agree that in Most Nigerian family settings, the woman is more active in her children's life than their dad.
That's why when we have issues where house-helps vandalize the kids, Career women are blamed. Its rarely the father's fault.

They have real feelings as well, but unlike women, they don’t have the freedom to express them openly without having their masculinity and even their sexuality fall under question. Women have been in space, fought in wars and have served as heads of state, so why is it that men are termed the bad guy if they fail to hold a door open for a woman? Has it ever occurred to you that the guy who devised the “ladies first” policy may have created it just to check out his girlfriend’s ass? When it comes to equal treatment and equal rights for equal pay, women make more noise than a backfiring Bulldog. So why is it that when it comes to picking up a dinner bill, these same women suddenly become mute? Ladies can’t have it both ways. Being equal means assuming equal duties. With great paychecks come great responsibilities.

In as much as I hate this. Ladies first has a long history. The reason why women are exempted from war most times or why ladies go first in case off emergencies is because, If for example , only one man survives in an island with 20 women. The island will be able to re-populate and grow back. But if 20 men survive and one woman, the island goes. This is where the term ladies first began.
I haven't met anyone termed a bad guy for not opening doors or holding doors for people. Its really not that popular.
Most people courteously hold doors open for others behind them.

About men and their feelings, you will agree with me that most men who are attacked for showing their feelings are usually attacked by other men. Try hugging your male friend and they will say stop being gay or feminine.

Even in television series, men are mostly depicted as grossly incompetent. From Family Guy to the Simpsons to King of Queens. According to Marge, Homer “chews with his mouth open, hangs out at a seedy bar with bums and lowlifes, blows his nose in towels and puts them back, and scratches himself with his keys”. Similarly, Family Guy’s Peter Griffin is a lovable oaf who “isn’t afraid to say what’s on his mind; usually the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time”. The women in these same series, meanwhile, project an almost saintly glow as long-suffering wives and dedicated mothers. It’s a sad fact that we’re living in the world where unsubstantiated statements can be made about men when these same claims would never be tolerated if they were directed at women.

Using american tv shows to describe Nigerian feminism again? You will notice that most Nigerian movies always paint women as nagging, prostitutes and runs girls in the university. Who later have regrets.
Even the working class women always tend to have some kind of weird relationship with their oga's.

Most men are shown to be in a position of power or extremely rich and being used by the females.

These are very biased stereotypes also. Why aren't you talking about this?

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi by Tallesty1(m): 5:58pm On Nov 27, 2015
raayah:
Thank you for your post. I'm very glad that you brought this up! Let's discuss your main points. In regards to feminism in Nigeria.
You're the lady who said that No Nigeria Man Is working for the success of his marriage bah?
Re: Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi by Stephansmily(f): 6:03pm On Nov 27, 2015
Summary pls
Re: Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi by raayah(f): 6:11pm On Nov 27, 2015
Re: Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi by Tallesty1(m): 6:21pm On Nov 27, 2015
raayah:

Some!
Read it again.
raayah:
How many of you have ever heard of men fighting for their marriage? None! Its only women fighting because they know that they are nothing without a man. How can you as an adult exist for someone else?
Re: Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi by raayah(f): 6:26pm On Nov 27, 2015
#
Re: Feminism: A Wrong Perception Of Equality – Uchegbu Ndubuisi by salauwale(m): 7:00am On Jul 26, 2016
raayah:

The main reason why most women are chosen in fields like this is because women are better than men when it comes to customer service.
men are recruited into manual labour and armed forces because they tend to possess more physical strength on average than most women.
Now OP, would you let a female mechanic or electrician or plumber fix your assets? I'm pretty sure you might refuse in the real world even though the female may be skilled.
Isn't this discrimination against women?
Let's face it, men and women have strengths in different areas.

This is a straw-man argument. Both male and female are capable of being insensitive to any genders.
Research has shown that most of the women are ridiculed for their weight, are being ridiculed by other women.

In social media, especially in Nigeria. Thin girls are ridiculed with words like pelenge , flat yansh etc. While curvy women are praised.

Sadly, there are few to none child custody battles in Nigeria. Its not really a thing.
Besides, we can almost all agree that in Most Nigerian family settings, the woman is more active in her children's life than their dad.
That's why when we have issues where house-helps vandalize the kids, Career women are blamed. Its rarely the father's fault.

In as much as I hate this. Ladies first has a long history. The reason why women are exempted from war most times or why ladies go first in case off emergencies is because, If for example , only one man survives in an island with 20 women. The island will be able to re-populate and grow back. But if 20 men survive and one woman, the island goes. This is where the term ladies first began.
I haven't met anyone termed a bad guy for not opening doors or holding doors for people. Its really not that popular.
Most people courteously hold doors open for others behind them.

About men and their feelings, you will agree with me that most men who are attacked for showing their feelings are usually attacked by other men. Try hugging your male friend and they will say stop being gay or feminine.

Using american tv shows to describe Nigerian feminism again? You will notice that most Nigerian movies always paint women as nagging, prostitutes and runs girls in the university. Who later have regrets.
Even the working class women always tend to have some kind of weird relationship with their oga's.

Most men are shown to be in a position of power or extremely rich and being used by the females.

These are very biased stereotypes also. Why aren't you talking about this?

After all is said and done, both parties have a say and you both have raised very good points. The goal here is equality and not really whom does the gender bias favors most. We should actually be looking towards solutions and not playing the blame game because at the end of the day, you being a male or female would have a loved one who would be a male or female that could be a victim of this bias so we can't afford the blame game about this things for personal interest. "Equal opportunities without a preference for gender and compensation based on productivity not gender".
I grew up in a household where the guys had a different chore than the girls which I realise now that is wrong. At my cousins however, everybody took part in every chore. I remember my aunt telling my mum one time when she critiqued her for making my male cousin stir amala. She said " would he stir it with pe*** or does he need a va**** to do it". Because we as a society already have a skewed notion of roles and what duties male and female could perform, it's definitely going to affect equal chances for both at such roles when in reality it doesn't affect productivity. Similar thing applies for the double standard too.
Personally, I think we need a major change in our perceptions to some issues in our society, Most of which have roots in the mixture of religion and culture. Most cultures naturally put the place of women below par to men, some religions too. Our way of life they say, well the simple truth is we can't afford to live in the past and change is inevitable. Our parents lived in a time when the whole village used to gather round at night to share folklores, I lived in time when we would get back from school and play around the street this days children just stay indoors and watch Dora and co. It's a new world, don't be left behind, we need a change. EQUALITY for all regardless of your gender,skin colour, nationality, tribe, sexuality, religious views etc. We are all humans first remove the case and check the bone structure . #1love

(1) (Reply)

See The Dos And Don’ts At Eyo Festival 2017 / Tension In Kwale/okpai Over The Killing Of A Crocodile / The Attack On The Igbo In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.