Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? (4980 Views)

How Petrol Attendants Cheat You In Filling Stations And Precautions / Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? by aaidel(m): 2:30am On Nov 28, 2015
please what can possibly go wrong when an engine is filled with too much engine oil? my kazeem put in 4.7 liters of engine oil into my engine and claims that is the correct amount i however read online that it should be 3.7 liters if filter wasn't changed and 4 liters if filter was changed. wondering should i leave the car as it is or should i drain a little of the engine oil the car is a 2005 toyota corolla american version
Re: Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? by inihood(m): 4:36am On Nov 28, 2015
foaming?
ineffective lubrication?
Not a recommended procedure?!

4L (0.3L above recommended) would have been manageable? but 1L above recommended, is a bit on the high side!

The biggest enemy an engine has is "foaming" of the oil, which occurs when there is too much oil for the pump to handle effectively. Instead of pumping a fluid stream of oil, the pump delivers a foam, made mostly of air, mixed with oil. When that occurs, the viscosity (thickness) of the oil is reduced, basically to the thickness of water, and is squeezed out from the bearing surfaces. Even 1/2 quart overfilled CAN produce this effect, especially in today's faster RPM engines. - Glenard Munson, ASE Certified Tech since 1971
Re: Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? by kingreign(m): 7:59am On Nov 28, 2015
aaidel:
please what can possibly go wrong when an engine is filled with too much engine oil? my kazeem put in 4.7 liters of engine oil into my engine and claims that is the correct amount i however read online that it should be 3.7 liters if filter wasn't changed and 4 liters if filter was changed. wondering should i leave the car as it is or should i drain a little of the engine oil the car is a 2005 toyota corolla american version

Reduce the oil, it could cause damage to catalytic converter.
Re: Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? by Piyke: 8:42am On Nov 28, 2015
aaidel:

Asides the listed, it will increase crankcase pressure and predispose your car to developing leaks.
Re: Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? by aaidel(m): 1:00am On Nov 29, 2015
thank you all is it something i can do myself or i should go back and ask for a little to be drained out?
Re: Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? by kingreign(m): 7:17am On Nov 29, 2015
aaidel:
thank you all is it something i can do myself or i should go back and ask for a little to be drained out?

Are you DIY savvy, if Yes, feel free, but from your question, I feel you're not DIY person, take it to another mechanic to drain it till it reaches the right gauge.

1 Like

Re: Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? by blackfm: 12:04pm On Nov 29, 2015
What's the best way to do this going DIY, removing the oil sump?
kingreign:

Are you DIY savvy, if Yes, feel free, but from your question, I feel you're not DIY person, take it to another mechanic to drain it till it reaches the right gauge.
Re: Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? by kingreign(m): 12:42pm On Nov 29, 2015
blackfm:
What's the best way to do this going DIY, removing the oil sump?

No, drain plug.
Re: Side Effect Of Over Filling Of Engine Oil??? by aaidel(m): 7:47pm On Nov 29, 2015
kingreign:

ok thank you very much i got someone to drain it took out two litres and then added back 1 litre now the engine oil gauges between the two notches on the drain stick

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

For Lady Fans Of The Range Rover Sport - Would You. . . / My Nissan Premera 2.0 Is Consuming More Fuel ? / Customs' Duty Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.