Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,438 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Customs' Duty Suspension - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Customs' Duty Suspension (4946 Views)

How To Calculate Customs Duty Charge In Nigeria. / How To Confirm If Your Customs Duty Is Correct From Their Website / How Much Will The Customs Duty On This Car Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs' Duty Suspension by Lexit: 6:47pm On Apr 10, 2017
Hello house, now that Customs has suspended its purported vehicle duty, are we free to drive on the road? I plan to travel to my village this week and not sure of the authenticity of my custom paper. I already sent the details to the provided short code; yet no reply for more than 3 days now.

Anyone disturbed on the road yet after the suspension?

Oga Gazzuzz, autojosh, nurey and other contributors, your contribution is craved please.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 7:26pm On Apr 10, 2017
Lexit:
Hello house, now that Customs has suspended its purported vehicle duty, are we free to drive on the road? I plan to travel to my village this week and not sure of the authenticity of my custom paper. I already sent the details to the provided short code; yet no reply for more than 3 days now.

Oga Gazzuzz, autojosh, nurey and other contributors, your contribution is craved please.

Nothing is suspended. My friend was gbabed last week. He coughed out 700k on 2010 corolla

1 Like

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by nurey(m): 7:27pm On Apr 10, 2017
it depends on where you are travelling to and what car you driving

They plenty well well for east

i have driven to osun from lagos and not a single custom on the road

I have driven from lagos to the north also (kano) there are customs but my car wasn't seize worthy grin also i was a corper but customs never stopped me for once corper or no corper i believe my car wasn't worth it.

if you have the custom papers, just drive with it but if you are afraid, just enter public transport

1 Like

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Nobody: 7:41pm On Apr 10, 2017
Lexit:

Just take a further step by calling the number provided. Text messages doesn't work. It took less than 10 mins for my papers to be confirmed when I called the number.

2 Likes

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 7:42pm On Apr 10, 2017
greenhulk:

Just take a further step by calling the number provided. Text messages doesn't work. It took less than 10 mins for my papers to be confirmed when I called the number.

Which numbers did you call
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by esanju: 7:45pm On Apr 10, 2017
greenhulk:

kindly hlp wit dre nos pls, nid to confirm mine too
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Lexit: 8:35pm On Apr 10, 2017
nurey:

I have driven from lagos to the north also (kano) there are customs but my car wasn't seize worthy grin also i was a corper but customs never stopped me for once corper or no corper i believe my car wasn't worth it.

if you have the custom papers, just drive with it but if you are afraid, just enter public transport
I am actually travelling to Ondo State with a 2006 Rav 4.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by nurey(m): 9:09pm On Apr 10, 2017
Lexit:

I am actually travelling to Ondo State with a 2006 Rav 4.

Pester greenhulk to give you the number and put you through. You can also drop number here

Calling 10mins = 30/min equals #300

Public transport to and fro = #20,000

Custom impound payment cant be less than #700,000

The ball is in your court.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Lexit: 9:40pm On Apr 10, 2017
nurey:

Pester greenhulk to give you the number and put you through. You can also drop number here

Calling 10mins = 30/min equals #300

Public transport to and fro = #20,000

Custom impound payment cant be less than #700,000

The ball is in your court.

thanks
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by stlken: 9:59pm On Apr 10, 2017
nurey:

more update
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by davit: 9:19am On Apr 11, 2017
I eventually spoke to one of their agents this morning who confirmed that my duty paper is fake. Just wondering if I should travel with the car since Nurey said no custom agents on the road to Osun from Lagos. I can leave the car in Ilesha.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 11, 2017
OlugbengaE:

Which numbers did you call

Sorry for the delay. The number is +234 9 462 1597.
I've helped 3 people call this number and they normally answer in less than 1 minute, get ur papers verified within 5-10 mins.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 11, 2017
esanju:

kindly hlp wit dre nos pls, nid to confirm mine too

It is the same number u SMS. +234 9 462 1597
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by stlken: 10:00am On Apr 11, 2017
greenhulk:

It is the same number u SMS. +234 9 462 1597

i av lost the custom paper, can I confirm with my car VIN ?
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 11, 2017
stlken:

i av lost the custom paper, can I confirm with my car VIN ?

I don't know oh. The first thing they ask u is ur c number which is on the customs paper. But there's no harm in trying... Call tell them u lost ur customs papers see if there's anything they can do.

When I called they asked for my c number, the year it was cleared and port it was cleared from. After checking they gave me the last 4 digit of my vin which matched my car.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by nurey(m): 10:07am On Apr 11, 2017
davit:
I eventually spoke to one of their agents this morning who confirmed that the duty paper is fake. Just wondering if I should travel with the car since Nurey said no custom agents on the road to Osun from Lagos. I can leave the car in Ilesha.

I think the travelling was done in january before the proposed custom wahala, i cant say how the road will be now, they may have changed but i think customs only stay in smuggling routes, there are some within city roads you would encounter them if care isnt taken but also depends on whether they have time to confirm authenticity or not.

2 Likes

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by davit: 10:14am On Apr 11, 2017
OlugbengaE:

Nothing is suspended. My friend was gbabed last week. He coughed out 700k on 2010 corolla

Where was your friend arrested? The grace period given by NCS before the suspension is even yet to expire tomorrow.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by SmartchoicesNG: 10:17am On Apr 11, 2017
davit:
I eventually spoke to one of their agents this morning who confirmed that the duty paper is fake. Just wondering if I should travel with the car since Nurey said no custom agents on the road to Osun from Lagos. I can leave the car in Ilesha.
At times I can't help ​but wonder what people​ use their brains for...

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by davit: 10:21am On Apr 11, 2017
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by SmartchoicesNG: 10:28am On Apr 11, 2017
davit:

Really?
I wish I can lay my hands on you​ physically....

One of the most effective customs command in Nigeria is the Ogun command and Oyo State Command is not slacking either... Yet you're​ still asking silly question whether you should travel with an unregistered or duty non-paid vehicle?

Sorry what do you use the space between your ears for?

I really don't want to insult you.
No amount of publication will prevent them from doing their Constitutional​ duties..

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by davit: 10:32am On Apr 11, 2017
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by autojosh: 11:31am On Apr 11, 2017
Lexit:

Call them. You will get an instant response. Note: They've been seizing vehicles before that policy surfaced.. so the seizing continues despite the suspension of the policy
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 11, 2017
What happens if the vehicle was actually in customs database but duty was underpaid?
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by autojosh: 11:49pm On Apr 11, 2017
adeolaademuluyi:
What happens if the vehicle was actually in customs database but duty was underpaid?

It depends on how much was underpaid but they usually don't seize such vehicles especially if the underpaid amount was approved by customs and the documents are genuine.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Itulah(m): 11:57am On Apr 12, 2017
Lexit:

You may proceed if you have close to 600-700k to bail yourself and pay for new Duty.
17th of last month, I took my two weeks old newly registered Camry 2007 Muscle from Zaria to Lagos, the journey was sweet and smooth, two days later, while making a return from Lagos, I decided to travel through Benin Edo state so I can buy those fresh oil and garri at Ewu junction, it was at Ondo-Ore road that those merciless lawless Custom dude nabbed my ride, drove me and the vehicle from that Lagos highway to their office in Akure. I had to pass the night in Akure cause it was Sunday. The following day, Monday, guess how much I was billed? N600k, penalty and Duty Certificate. Actual duty is 250k only God knows where the rest of the money went to.

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Nobody: 12:21pm On Apr 12, 2017
Itulah:

You may proceed if you have close to 600-700k to bail yourself and pay for new Duty.
17th of last month, I took my two weeks old newly registered Camry 2007 Muscle from Zaria to Lagos, the journey was sweet and smooth, two days later, while making a return from Lagos, I decided to travel through Benin Edo state so I can buy those fresh oil and garri at Ewu junction, it was at Ondo-Ore road that those merciless lawless Custom dude nabbed my ride, drove me and the vehicle from that Lagos highway to their office in Akure. I had to pass the night in Akure cause it was Sunday. The following day, Monday, guess how much I was billed? N600k, penalty and Duty Certificate. Actual duty is 250k only God knows where the rest of the money went to.

This one loud oh. Na the work wey Dem dey do
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by hiremyminivan: 1:38pm On Apr 12, 2017
I spoke of my friend

His BMW 7 Series 2006 model was released to him without a single kobo exchanging hands.

You need to know the law, you need to be ready to leave the car, you need to be willing to confirm figures separately from what any rogue on the road tells you.

So he came back and found that the law applies to vehicles dating back 7 years (is it from the date of manufacturer) or its coming into the country? Cannot say for sure.

So 2006+ 7 = 2013, so my friend should not have been stopped in the first place!

So why stop him if not in a bid to extort.

Secondly, the vehicle was brought in new by Coscharis, and Coscharis does not bring in BMW 7 series without paying duty, appropriate for the ride

Thirdly, my friend brought his receipt prove that he bought it directly from Coscharis, he did not bring custom duty papers

Forth, my friend asked why did you not reach out to Coscharis, your major business partner?

Some people in uniform remind one of the nephilims of the Bible that only know how to oppress others and gloat in the misfortune of others, and what is more, turn such misfortune into personal fortune(s), am sure you know whom these words refer to.

Just in case you are wondering, the order to impound came from the top - An assistant comptroller or whatever designation that I do not recall but it contains the word assistant, the boys on the road do returns to the top!

Does that sound like a word that begins with c and ends in n?

Don't you say I said it oooo!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 4:22pm On Apr 12, 2017
That you bought your car brand new doesn't mean you dont need to have custom paper. You must have. Our deputy MDs car was bought new from one of the major dealers of Toyota in Nigeria. The car was impounded by customs for non payment of customs duty.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 4:34pm On Apr 12, 2017
Itulah:

This is what happened. Normally if you had discovered your car had no duty and opted to pay. They will calculate you duty which is that 600k then give you a 60% rebate or discount you will pay around 250k. So instead of giving you the 60% discount they gave themselves the discount. Next time ask for discount. But on a good day the duty on 07 camry is not up to 600k.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by davit: 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2017
hiremyminivan:
I spoke of my friend

His BMW 7 Series 2006 model was released to him without a single kobo exchanging hands.

You need to know the law, you need to be ready to leave the car, you need to be willing to confirm figures separately from what any rogue on the road tells you.

So he came back and found that the law applies to vehicles dating back 7 years (is it from the date of manufacturer) or its coming into the country? Cannot say for sure.

So 2006+ 7 = 2013, so my friend should not have been stopped in the first place!

So why stop him if not in a bid to extort.

Secondly, the vehicle was brought in new by Coscharis, and Coscharis does not bring in BMW 7 series without paying duty, appropriate for the ride

Thirdly, my friend brought his receipt prove that he bought it directly from Coscharis, he did not bring custom duty papers

Forth, my friend asked why did you not reach out to Coscharis, your major business partner?

Some people in uniform remind one of the nephilims of the Bible that only know how to oppress others and gloat in the misfortune of others, and what is more, turn such misfortune into personal fortune(s), am sure you know whom these words refer to.

Just in case you are wondering, the order to impound came from the top - An assistant comptroller or whatever designation that I do not recall but it contains the word assistant, the boys on the road do returns to the top!

Does that sound like a word that begins with c and ends in n?

Don't you say I said it oooo!

You are likely right about the years. I eventually travelled today with the car knowing full well that the said duty paper is not in their database. I met customs guys at different locations on the road. Guess what, none of them stopped my car. Those at Ibadan looked very serious and ready for any show. Even the police there didn't stop me. same at before getting to IFE. But I observed that some of the cars they stopped are still looking sharp and clean. They must be newly registered. I'm the 4th user of my car!
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by OlugbengaE: 4:51pm On Apr 12, 2017
davit:

You are likely right about the years. I eventually travelled today with the car knowing full well that the said duty paper is not in their database. I met customs guys at different locations on the road. Guess what, none of them stopped my car. Those at Ibadan looked very serious and ready for any show. Even the police there didn't stop me. same at before getting to IFE. But I observed that some of the cars they stopped are still looking sharp and clean.

They've made alot of money already they dont vare about you but I can assure you the will stop you o your way back to Lagos and you will pay 650k but please ask for discount.
Re: Customs' Duty Suspension by Itulah(m): 5:31pm On Apr 12, 2017
OlugbengaE:

This is what happened. Normally if you had discovered your car had no duty and opted to pay. They will calculate you duty which is that 600k then give you a 60% rebate or discount you will pay around 250k. So instead of giving you the 60% discount they gave themselves the discount. Next time ask for discount. But on a good day the duty on 07 camry is not up to 600k.

250k is actual duty, then 350k went in for penalty. It was a very sad experience.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Golf 4 / Is Volvo A Good Buy? I Need Your Advice Please / Do You Obey Traffic Lights At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.