Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,691 members, 7,955,593 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:09 AM

Brain Or Heart , Which Is Most Important ? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Brain Or Heart , Which Is Most Important ? (770 Views)

Is This Anxiety Or Heart Problems / 9 Reasons Why Breakfast Is The Most Important Meal Of The Day / Must Read: Avoid These 14 Foods If You Have High Blood Pressure Or Heart Proble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brain Or Heart , Which Is Most Important ? by 2odd(m): 12:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
Which is more important - the heart or the brain?
This question comes up from time to time, sometimes
in the midst of a serious discussion but more often
than not as part of a lighthearted conversation. It
often gets disputed when cardiologists and
neurologists get together! In fact, I remember
wondering about it as a child watching the Wizard of
Oz!
Certainly the brain is much more complicated than the
heart. In fact, the brain is simply an amazing organ.
To say that we have barely scratched the surface of
our understanding of the brain is an understatement.
Even with the incredible advancements in research over
the last 50 years, we still have a very limited
understanding of the brain and the its workings. I
never cease to be amazed at the ability of the brain
to control functions that we take for granted, things
as simple as walking and movement.
The heart on the other hand is a much simpler organ.
Its complexity pretty much pales in comparison to the
brain. It has one very straightforward job to do, and
that is to pump blood. Nevertheless, the heart is
pretty amazing in its own special way. In fact, I
never cease to be amazed every time I look at a
beating heart. To think we have an organ inside that
never stops pumping, never takes a break and can
continue on for 80 or even 100 years in some cases is
truly amazing.
When you get down to the question of which is more
important, obviously they both are. In fact, I think
it's probably a useless argument to try to rank one
above the other. In fact, it may be useless to try to
rank any organ in the body above another - we need
them all!
Another way to argue the question might be the
following: Which one can you live without? Well,
technically speaking, your body can still be alive
without a brain. On the other hand, it's pretty
difficult for your body to be alive without a heart. In
either circumstance, the quality of life is pretty poor
without one or the other!
Interestingly, technology has advanced to the point in
the last 15 years or so that truly artificial hearts do
exist. Artificial hearts have been implanted in adults
for some time, and recently the first total artificial
heart was successfully used in a pediatric patient for
160 days until he was able to receive a living heart
transplant. An example of a totally artificial heart is
shown in the picture on the right.
So, as a cardiologist, I'd certainly like to think of
the heart as more important than the brain, but this
is probably not really the case! Certainly we are
nowhere near a brain transplant or a totally artificial
brain!
c: lalasticlala, seun, Freiburger and r231,rashme
Re: Brain Or Heart , Which Is Most Important ? by madridguy(m): 1:00pm On Nov 29, 2015
From head to toe everything is very essential.
Re: Brain Or Heart , Which Is Most Important ? by Cutehector(m): 1:07pm On Nov 29, 2015
Lets practicalize this op... Finds a gun... I will shoot u in the head and in the chest and we will see if u r still alive cheesy
Re: Brain Or Heart , Which Is Most Important ? by 2odd(m): 1:19pm On Nov 29, 2015
have u heard of the term "brain dead"
Re: Brain Or Heart , Which Is Most Important ? by dammywapes(m): 1:40pm On Nov 29, 2015
I think d heart is more important because it pump blood all over the body but one can still live with a dead brain and live.
Re: Brain Or Heart , Which Is Most Important ? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Nov 29, 2015
Hmm brain and heart, I already done my research and here's what I found.

Using a car analogy, The engine is the brain and power house of a car, without the engine the car with its aesthetic body is useless but then again, for the power house to fuction, it needs to be ignited.

The battery of the car does the ignition, without the ignition, engine is as good as useless too so battery is very important.

Relating all of that to the human body, the human heart is the battery that supplies oxygen to the brain which is the power house. So the heart is the MOST IMPORTANT.

Proof---There are brain dead people still alive but inactive but no such thing as heart dead people inactive.
Re: Brain Or Heart , Which Is Most Important ? by 2odd(m): 2:06pm On Nov 29, 2015
aaronson:
Hmm brain and heart, I already done my research and here's what I found.

Using a car analogy, The engine is the brain and power house of a car, without the engine the car with its aesthetic body is useless but then again, for the power house to fuction, it needs to be ignited.

The battery of the car does the ignition, without the ignition, engine is as good as useless too so battery is very important.

Relating all of that to the human body, the human heart is the battery that supplies oxygen to the brain which is the power house. So the heart is the MOST IMPORTANT.

Proof---There are brain dead people still alive but inactive but no such thing as heart dead people inactive.
have u heard of artificial brain ?? cos there is artificial heart
Re: Brain Or Heart , Which Is Most Important ? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 29, 2015
2odd:

have u heard of artificial brain ?? cos there is artificial heart
Funny, I would take this as you being a funny clown or you seriously ignorant. Heart and brain shapes your life and give you a sense of existence, Now when they failing, it only means your vital signs are failing too that why you hear that beep on that machine in the hospital. If there was artificial vital signs to heart and brain, The rich wouldn't die.

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Lassa Fever / Ghanaian Boy Dying Of Cancer Gets His Last Wish; To See The Insides Of An Aeropl / Quack Doctors At an Health Centre in Ijoko.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.