Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,809 members, 7,817,346 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Point Of Correction!!: Ojukwu Did Not Start Or Cause The War! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Point Of Correction!!: Ojukwu Did Not Start Or Cause The War! (536 Views)

Mbe Nwaniga Compares Ojukwu's Biafra To Kanu's Biafra / BIAFRA: I’m Doing Same Thing Ojukwu Did, I Deserve Respect – Ngige / Breaking!! 2016 Budget Has Been Found. pics Will Shock or cause u heart attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Point Of Correction!!: Ojukwu Did Not Start Or Cause The War! by kingzizzy: 9:16am On Nov 30, 2015
[b]It is with a sense of nostalgia that I constantly read this erroneous assumption that Ojukwu started or caused the civil war. Nothing could be further from the truth. I blame this misinformation on the Goverment for not educating the younger generation on their history. I have read over 20 books about the civil war and recieved first hand account of the hostility from my own father who was a Captain in the Biafran Army so I think I'm in a position to discuss this issue.

To blame Ojukwu for the war is like trying to blame the Wright brothers (Inventors of Air planes) for all the people that have died from plane crashes.

Ojukwu watched as over 50,000 of his fellow easterners, men,women and children were massacred all over Nigeria in cold blood. Just this alone was enough reason for him to declare Biafra,after all, Nigeria in its self was the illegal creation of the White man. However, Ojukwu, despite the overwhelming demand for secession by the easterners, still sat down with Gowon in Aburi, Ghana for the sake of peace. Both men agreed that the best thing for Nigeria was a confederation. Both men signed the agreement and shook hands in front of the president of Ghana and Ojukwu pledged that as long as Gowon kept to the agreement, he (Ojukwu) would accept the leadership of Gowon in a united 'one Nigeria'. Gowon returned to Nigeria and broke the agreement he signed by abolishing the regions, creating States, taking away resource control and introducing unitary rule. Ojukwu was left with no choice than to declare Biafra. Gowon could have returned to the negotiating table, Gowon could have called for a referendum, Gowon could have done many things to avoid war. But what Gowon did was to order troops down to East to start a killing spree that was to last 3 years. Gowon started shooting first, therefore, he started the war.

So my dear people, stop this misinformation that Ojukwu started a war when it was Gowon that came looking for Ojukwu. Stop this talk that Ojukwu led his people to be slaughtered when the same easterners were being slaughtered long before Ojukwu came on the scene. If anyone should be blamed for the war, the blame lies squarely with Gowon and his power hungry Northerners.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Point Of Correction!!: Ojukwu Did Not Start Or Cause The War! by Misternas89(m): 9:17am On Nov 30, 2015
undecided
Re: Point Of Correction!!: Ojukwu Did Not Start Or Cause The War! by ticking: 9:46am On Nov 30, 2015
This is exactly as it happened. All these yolobastards don't read. I thank my father for introducing me to books at an early age as I was able to read so many books written by locals and foreigners about the civil war.

@Op, point of correction: More than 60,000 Igbos (and the rest ran back to the east) were killed before Ojukwu declared Baifra not 50,000.
Re: Point Of Correction!!: Ojukwu Did Not Start Or Cause The War! by DaBullIT(m): 9:54am On Nov 30, 2015
You really thought you are making sense

To blame Ojukwu for the war is like trying to blame the Wright brothers (Inventors of Air planes) for all the people that have died from plane crashes.
sic

It's the wrongest of all wrong comparims

Ojukwu started the war , As a military leader , if he reprimanded those who were involved in the first coup , his kinsmen to be precise , The north would have stopped retaliating

When Ojukwu was invited to a meeting in an African country , all he needed was a little patience , agree the terms set aside and come back home peacefully , Ojukwu said no

When Ojukwu got back, he declared Eastern Region as Biafra , without referendum, without any formal or legal support from anyone in the world

Ojuwku called every Ibo to come back home in Eastern region cum Biafra ,

You can't declare a republic just like that , it's never done , there's due process which is why Nigerian Army was forced to Invade

Bottom line , Don't declare a republic without legal support

1 Like

Re: Point Of Correction!!: Ojukwu Did Not Start Or Cause The War! by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 30, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Pope Francis On Condom To Prevent Hiv Says It Complicated / Bayelsa Guber Poll And Sponsored Survey- Sunnews Paper / #600 Days Of Chibok Girls’ Abduction!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.