Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? (69774 Views)

Slums From World Major Cities That Shows All That Glitters Is Not Gold (PHOTOS) / What ECOWAS Countries Have You Visited? How Do They Compare To Nigeria? / Sad Images From Nigerian Railway Corporation Eastern District (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by paramakina202: 11:53pm On Nov 30, 2015
Abiriba1stson:

This is a very wrong statement bro, I'm from Abirba but I and most Abians always pray for Aba to develop because Aba is home for all of us, that was the reason why we Abians hated TA Orji so much because he did noting in Aba. During TA Orji tenure, I use to tell people that we should give an Ngwa man power because they are original owner of Aba and as the owner he will try to deleop Aba for our own good because Aba is very important to us.
Never mind that Akpagworo,he is a very divisive
Person and he is trying to bring his madness to Abia state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by basilo101: 11:59pm On Nov 30, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Which Igbos in PH are they disconnecting from the rest??..what are you implying..if you dnt have any meaning contribution you better keep calm and read comments.

PH is Ikwerre and Ikwerre aint Ibo.Ikwerre is Ikwerre...Iboland stops in Imo, and Abia..you can sit behind your PC and type your fantasies but you can test your claims by walking into a meeting in any Obiri/Oviri allover Ikwerreland and greet them by saying "Ibo Kwenu".....come back and share testimony.
Lol, let ikwere man go to ibadan or Kano and say my name is Azubuike Chidi and see weda he is nt Omo yeebøo or Inyamiri. Bunch of jokers

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Leopardd(m): 12:00am On Dec 01, 2015
HopeAtHand:
Afam4Eva, you did the reasonable thing to leave out PH..u were careful not to upset me...i need to point out a lil about Aba.

Aba is an eyesore..dirty, smelly, godforsaken...They say a child is amongst others, influenced by his environment..that urban filth called Aba breeds children, who later grow into adults with skewed reasoning ability, miserable outlook to life and utter disregard for social values..there is practically nothing positive a child can gain from Aba as his environment.

Being born and bred in Aba where there is zero regard for sanity is the reason those riffraffs crossed the Imo river into PH to protest Nnamdi Kanus arrest like Nnamdi Kanu was held in PH..those unambidextrous idiiots from Aba are a reflection of the failed Igbo value system ..a system that is careless, carefree, where anything goes.

Aba and its inhabitants should be bombed to the ground as a lesson to filthyness of an environment that infects the psyche and the mind.

I will cure your madness one day.
Bastard.

7 Likes

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by kmariko: 12:36am On Dec 01, 2015
Abagworo:

I took all those controversial areas into consideration. Illiteracy is a bad disease that needs serious curbing among some of you. Igbos are not East as wrongfully asserted nor are they at the Southern tip nor in the West. Igboland is completely at the centre of Southern Nigeria.

It is not nice referring to someone on this forum as "illiterate" because you might be pointing the other four fingers at yourself........I would rather use the term " misinformed"...please tell us again the main cardinal points on the basic geography book...then look at the map of Nigeria, ..draw a vertical line through the center and a horizontal line to intersect it at the center...then use that as the bases to define what N,S,E,W....NE,NW,SE,SW,.SSE,NNE, and etc

But if you are into ethno- geography that's a total different subject besides the directional NSEW

2 Likes

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by kel4soft: 5:06am On Dec 01, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Which Igbos in PH are they disconnecting from the rest??..what are you implying..if you dnt have any meaning contribution you better keep calm and read comments.

PH is Ikwerre and Ikwerre aint Ibo.Ikwerre is Ikwerre...Iboland stops in Imo, and Abia..you can sit behind your PC and type your fantasies but you can test your claims by walking into a meeting in any Obiri/Oviri allover Ikwerreland and greet them by saying "Ibo Kwenu".....come back and share testimony.

Bros calm down, is their thread. If you want to join, you play by their rules even though they dont reciprocate when they visit ours. I believe you understand what they meant by eastern Nigeria. Just let the sleeping dog lie and go ahead with your few cents here.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by FreeGlobe(f): 5:41am On Dec 01, 2015
AnamCity:
Enugu and Calabar are old cities that have been overtaken by the most modern architectures. Uyo, Awka, Asaba, Owerri, Umuahia and Yenogoa are newer thereby coming up with newer designs and even better infrastructures.
Enugu has better modern infrastructures than those cities.. Enugu is still developing. A centenary city in the works. Enugu has never been overtaken and will not in the next 10 years

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by SpaceTour: 6:18am On Dec 01, 2015
Afam, did you see why I warned you about this thread? Did you read this? I still don't know why you created this thread and now see it? Shut down this thread before it degenerate into what you will even regret.

HopeAtHand:
Afam4Eva, you did the reasonable thing to leave out PH..u were careful not to upset me...i need to point out a lil about Aba.

Aba is an eyesore..dirty, smelly, godforsaken...They say a child is amongst others, influenced by his environment..that urban filth called Aba breeds children, who later grow into adults with skewed reasoning ability, miserable outlook to life and utter disregard for social values..there is practically nothing positive a child can gain from Aba as his environment.

Being born and bred in Aba where there is zero regard for sanity is the reason those riffraffs crossed the Imo river into PH to protest Nnamdi Kanus arrest like Nnamdi Kanu was held in PH..those unambidextrous idiiots from Aba are a reflection of the failed Igbo value system ..a system that is careless, carefree, where anything goes.

Aba and its inhabitants should be bombed to the ground as a lesson to filthyness of an environment that infects the psyche and the mind.
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by wiseone28: 6:56am On Dec 01, 2015
DerideGull:

Blind as a fool. Everything is not about idiotic and deceitful geopolitical crap only found in the zoo called Nigeria. It is true that zoo has flowing followers.
what is this one saying

1 Like

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by achi4u(m): 7:48am On Dec 01, 2015
Nonsense thread!
Any assignment of Eastern cities without ABAKALIKI of Ebonyi state is nothing but a trash.
This shows that u are really enjoying the katakata btw chino and Abagworo and their likes in this forum.
Afam u are from Nkanu East LGA of Enugu state, how is the road leading to ur area looks like especially Nkerefi side?
This ala-yoruba u are staying have affected ur number 6.

14 Likes

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Afam4eva(m): 8:32am On Dec 01, 2015
achi4u:
Nonsense thread!
Any assignment of Eastern cities without ABAKALIKI of Ebonyi state is nothing but a trash.
This shows that u are really enjoying the katakata btw chino and Abagworo and their likes in this forum.
Afam u are from Nkanu East LGA of Enugu state, how is the road leading to ur area looks like especially Nkerefi side?
This ala-yoruba u are staying have affected ur number 6.
Lol, guy calm down. If you have anything to add just go ahead instead seeing everything as an attempt to malign Ebonyi. I intentional listed cities that I have visited. Btw, i am from Enugu South and not Nkanu East.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:51am On Dec 01, 2015
FreeGlobe:

Enugu has better modern infrastructures than those cities.. Enugu is still developing. A centenary city in the works. Enugu has never been overtaken and will not in the next 10 years
God bless you for the truth. I wonder how sb can lie over Enugu's glaring modern infrastructures. Is it the roads,with attendant widespread traffic signs and lights , street lights; transport systems with specific bus stops, well planned streets, or housing architecture both in and out of estates. I give it to that city
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:54am On Dec 01, 2015
Afam4eva:

Lol, guy calm down. If you have anything to add just go ahead instead seeing everything as an attempt to malign Ebonyi. I intentional listed cities that I have visited. Btw, i am from Enugu South and not Nkanu East.
Lol
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 01, 2015
My dear, I really don't know where you got that fact that Enugu and calabar lack modern architecture. I travel frequently to those cities and I can tell you with certainty that your assertion is wrong. First, Owerri is as old as Enugu and Calabar. Then, the only cities in your list that are coming up with modern architectures are Uyo and Owerri. Even Abakaliki is far ahead of Yenegoa in terms of what a city represent.
Yenegoa is too messed up my dear, and Bayelsans are not even willing to redesign and do aggressive development of yenegoa even as Bayelsa is at 4th position
on federal Allocation. For instance, how can Dickson invite GEJ to commission a mere fly over, ah! He went to build flyover at far less busy NNPC mega filling station Junction when Tombia Junction is a nightmare to both motorists and pedestrians. Yenegoa can be transformed like Uyo within 4 years, they have a very lovely, clean, white soil, all that is needed is seriousness on the part of the governor.

Tho' Awka has poor Road network, infrastructure, public facilities, poor planning, I think Obaino is serious about transforming Awka, he's still working quietly just like Sullivan Chime did, no noise. So we await the outcome of his work. I just wish he could clean up onitsha.
Uyo is a promising city, I love that city as much I love Owerri and Enugu. With right leaders, Uyo will be a city Nigerians could be proud of. Akpabio really worked in Akwa ibom, not just in Uyo, ikot Ekpene is a beautiful town, made possible by Akpabio. There's this beautiful skyscraper-like structure, an entertainment centre, he built in ikot Ekpene. Most indegenes of Akwa ibom are cool headed, quiet and naturally clean, You may not hear much about development there, but a lot is happening in Uyo. However, make no mistake of comparing Enugu or calabar with Uyo, they are still ahead of Uyo. And in general Uyo is yet to have good, sophisticated, beautiful architecture scattered around streets and avenues like it's obtainable in cities like Owerri, Enugu, Calabar.

Enugu remains my best city in the East, it has its many challenges, water issues, water table is quite low. Enugu red soil makes streets and avenues appear dirty even when they are neat, a lot was invested in the state's waste management board, ESWAMA, and they are very effective. On the bright side of Enugu, you can't help but appreciate its Road network, its beautiful layouts, its amazing skyline and topography and the rate it's expanding at the moment is beyond the state control in term of providing basic Amenities but not in terms of proper layout to Avoid congestion in future. I can bet, a lot of Enugu residents, not to talk of visitors like Afam4eva, don't have a clue the extent Enugu has expanded, not only in terms of physical structures but in terms of business, services and industries, mostly medium scale industries. However, I still have fears of Enugu turning into another PH, in terms of congestion, if the Enugu planning Authority relent. A lot of roads in Enugu needs expansion.
Nevertheless, the current governor is following former Governor's style of maintaining the state facilities. If the current state Government can shun corruption and work with at least the same tenacity Sullivan chime's Administration did, I think Enugu will amaze Nigerians.

As for Owerri, my second loved city in southeast Nigeria , and my third in eastern nigeria, after Enugu and calabar. I see Owerri as Las Vegas of the East. No south East state can beat Owerri in sophistication of hotel architecture. Its Lovely gray soil leaves the owerri roads neat and beautiful. However, the state government needs to work more on road, both in making it motorable and in improving the road network, hold up can be terrible. Arguably, Owerri has the most beautiful girls among these cities, those fair beautiful demons grin sex tourism in quite high in Owerri, night life is good too. Since Imo state isn't high on the current chart of HIV prevalence in Nigeria Means those pretty things are really very smart like Afam4eva noted.

Asaba is messed up, big time. I say big time because I know how much enters Delta state as Federal Allocation, I think Delta should be on 2nd or 3rd position in federal Allocation. Poor Road network, very poor drainage, once it rains the roads are flooded, even tho' it's underground drainage in most Roads. To a great extent, Onitsha is a blessing to Asaba, even tho' Onitsha still short change Asaba in many ways tongue Asaba is a unwinding spot for most Onitsha business men. May be the present Governor, Ifeanyi, who is from Asaba side may channel development to Asaba and revamp the town, Otherwise most development in Delta is, unfairly, left in Warri.

Calabar is a beautiful city, everyone knows that. I still hold Donald Duke to high esteem for his style of Governance, similar to that of Sullivan Chime. He forms a major part of what Calabar is today, especially on carving out a niche in tourism. But it worries me, and should worry their state Government because as it stands, oil has been taken away from Cross River by Cameroon through Nigeria and by Akwa ibom, so the State Allocation is heavily down. And they also suffer serious deplorable state of Federal roads just like south East states. Unless, good governor takes the wheel of governance in Cross River, Calabar may not grow at the same rate.

Aba isn't a state capital, so it hasn't received the attention other state capitals get. However, I must commend Aba people for their incredible fabrications, now they export their products, and locally, we now send our measurements from Enugu to Tailors in Aba, and in few days our fine designed cloths are sent back. Those Guys in Aba may not be as refined, educationally, as guys in Owerri, like Afam4eva noted but you must appreciate their industrious power. They just need government support, both from federal and state, but mostly from state. Governor Ikpeazu, is making some effort is in Aba, however, he should reduce his media presence and noise, and concentrate on action and work. I read he brought some Europeans to Aba, he is also constructing Roads in Aba but I seriously think it's not enough yet, Otherwise, Afam4eva would have noticed the works in Aba.

AnamCity:
Enugu and Calabar are old cities that have been overtaken by the most modern architectures. Uyo, Awka, Asaba, Owerri, Umuahia and Yenogoa are newer thereby coming up with newer designs and even better infrastructures.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by AnamCity: 12:10pm On Dec 01, 2015
I least agreed with your list. Firstly Onitsha is not a state capital but presently it very clean with the pumping of infrastructural development in the city it is been repositioned. With the instroduction of road sweepers and gardeners the city is focused for the 21st century. Awka on the other side is a city to watch, haven concluded the city planning with focus on Dubai and Kigali models it is set to upturn other cities in the country to stamp it's feet among Nigeria's frontline cities. The ongoing skyline flyovers and other ambitious projects will no doubt place it side by side with other newest Nigerian cities of Abuja and Uyo. Awka has some of best hotels and beautiful girls too, most of Onitsha and Nnewi guys unwind there every weekend and festive seasons. Besides that Awka has some of the best housing estates well laid out.

I again seek to disgree with you on Enugu, it is really over-hyped. Most of those roads some of you flaunt about are bad at the moment and does not reflect the reality on the ground presently. Enugu is a town of over 100years but what we keep hearing is the same story of how few existing roads in the urban centers were resurfaced and all of a sudden it became your whatever. I do not want us Igbos to wash our dirts here further but you don't throw stone in the market as you like. One would expect that Enugu would by now rival PH, Kano even Calabar which are its comtemporaries but alas there is nothing of such but usual unnecessay hype that does not reflect reality. What about the rural parts of Enugu State? You cannot claim to be developed when at 92% of the entire state is still largely undeveloped without even an access road nor health center to start with. We all know this reality about Enugu state but we kept under wraps for brotherhood sake.

I made reference to Asaba, Uyo, Umuahia and even Owerri because I know what I have seen in those areas particularly Asaba and Uyo. Forget about the usual Nigerian stats that does not reflect reality.

I disgree with most of your point totally

centje:
My dear, I really don't know where you got that fact that Enugu and calabar lack modern architecture. I travel frequently to those cities and I can tell you with certainty that your assertion is wrong. First, Owerri is as old as Enugu and Calabar. Then, the only cities in your list that are coming up with modern architectures are Uyo and Owerri. Even Abakaliki is far ahead of Yenegoa in terms of what a city represent.
Yenegoa is too messed up my dear, and Bayelsans are not even willing to redesign and do aggressive development of yenegoa even as Bayelsa is at 4th position
on federal Allocation. For instance, how can Dickson invite GEJ to commission a mere fly over, ah! He went to build flyover at far less busy NNPC mega filling station Junction when Tombia Junction is a nightmare to both motorists and pedestrians. Yenegoa can be transformed like Uyo within 4 years, they have a very lovely, clean, white soil, all that is needed is seriousness on the part of the governor.

Tho' Awka has poor Road network, infrastructure, public facilities, poor planning, I think Obaino is serious about transforming Awka, he's still working quietly just like Sullivan Chime did, no noise. So we await the outcome of his work. I just wish he could clean up onitsha.
Uyo is a promising city, I love that city as much I love Owerri and Enugu. With right leaders, Uyo will be a city Nigerians could be proud of. Akpabio really worked in Akwa ibom, not just in Uyo, ikot Ekpene is a beautiful town, made possible by Akpabio. There's this beautiful skyscraper-like structure, an entertainment centre, he built in ikot Ekpene. Most indegenes of Akwa ibom are cool headed, quiet and naturally clean, You may not hear much about development there, but a lot is happening in Uyo. However, make no mistake of comparing Enugu or calabar with Uyo, they are still ahead of Uyo. And in general Uyo is yet to have good, sophisticated, beautiful architecture scattered around streets and avenues like it's obtainable in cities like Owerri, Enugu, Calabar.

Enugu remains my best city in the East, it has its many challenges, water issues, water table is quite low. Enugu red soil makes streets and avenues appear dirty even when they are neat, a lot was invested in the state's waste management board, ESWAMA, and they is very effective. On the bright side of Enugu, you can't help but appreciate its Road network, its beautiful layouts, its amazing skyline and topography and the rate it's expanding at the moment is beyond the state control in term of providing basic Amenities but not in terms of proper layout to Avoid congestion in future. I can bet, a lot of Enugu residents, not to talk of visitors like Afam4eva, don't have a clue the extent Enugu has expanded, not only in terms of physical structures but in terms of business, services and industries, mostly medium scale industries. However, I still have fears of Enugu turning into another PH, in terms of congestion, if the Enugu planning Authority relent. A lot of roads in Enugu needs expansion.
Nevertheless, the current governor is following former Governor's style of maintaining the state facilities. If the current state Government can shun corruption and work with at least the same tenacity Sullivan chime's Administration did, I think Enugu will amaze Nigerians.

As for Owerri, my second loved city in southeast Nigeria , and my third in eastern nigeria, after Enugu and calabar. I see Owerri as Las Vegas of the East. No south East state can beat Owerri in sophistication of hotel architecture. Its Lovely gray soil leaves the owerri roads neat and beautiful. However, the state government needs to work more on road, both in making it motorable and in improving the road network, hold up can be terrible. Arguably, Owerri has the most beautiful girls among these cities, those fair beautiful demons grin sex tourism in quite high in Owerri, night life is good too. Since Imo state isn't high on the current chart of HIV prevalence in Nigeria Means those pretty things are really very smart like Afam4eva noted.

Asaba is messed up, big time. I say big time because I know how much enters Delta state as Federal Allocation, I think Delta should be on 2nd or 3rd position in federal Allocation. Poor Road network, very poor drainage, once it rains the roads are flooded, even tho' it's underground drainage in most Roads. To a great extent, Onitsha is a blessing to Asaba, even tho' Onitsha still short change Asaba in many ways tongue Asaba is a unwinding spot for most Onitsha business men. May be the present Governor, Ifeanyi, who is from Asaba side may channel development to Asaba and revamp the town, Otherwise most development in Delta is, unfairly, left in Warri.

Calabar is a beautiful city, everyone knows that. I still hold Donald Duke to high esteem for his style of Governance, similar to that of Sullivan Chime. He forms a major part of what Calabar is today, especially on carving out a niche in tourism. But it worries me, and should worry their state Government because as it stance, oil has been taken away from Cross River by Cameroon through Nigeria and by Akwa ibom, so the State Allocation is heavily down. And they also suffer serious deplorable state of Federal roads just like south East states. Unless, good governor takes the wheel of governance in Cross River, Calabar may not grow at the same rate.

Aba isn't a state capital, so it hasn't received the attention other state capitals get. However, I must commend Aba people for their incredible fabrications, now they export their products, and locally, we now send our measurements from Enugu to Tailors in Aba, and in few days our fine designed cloths are sent back. Those Guys in Aba may not be as refined, educationally, as guys in Owerri, like Afam4eva noted but you must appreciate their industrious power. They just need government support, both from federal and state, but mostly from state. Governor Ikpeazu, is making some effort is in Aba, however, he should reduce his media presence and noise, and concentrate on action and work. I read he brought some Europeans to Aba, he is also constructing Roads in Aba but I seriously think it's not enough yet, Otherwise, Afam4eva would have noticed the works in Aba.

This is the first of it's kind at least in the Eastern region. You know a city with focus in 21st century when you see one.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Afam4eva(m): 12:21pm On Dec 01, 2015
Apart from the fact that Calabar is neater than Enugu and probable more beautiful and green, can someone highlight other areas where Calabar beats Enugu especially in the area of infrastructure.
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by SpaceTour: 12:56pm On Dec 01, 2015

1 Like

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Dec 01, 2015
Well, you will disagree with my points, and even disagree with well researched facts which I presented in pictures since they didn't support the dislike you have for Enugu. Like I said earlier, a lot of people don't know the extent of Enugu, including you. I find it disturbing when people send out falsehood even when the truth is glaring, what do you intend to gain. In my write up, you did notice I clearly stated few of the weakness and greatness of these places, but you rather went all out to degrade Enugu with falsehood. Am in Enugu at the moment and am yet to see most of the roads in deplorable state. Enugu still has the best road built to correct standard, in the south east, with modern road markings, street lights, traffic lights, and regular maintenance.

I like discussing cities, that's why I would reply you... in terms of size, Ph is just very marginally bigger than Enugu, and also economically more advanced than Enugu, those are truth, and they are expected when you compare the federal allocation of Enugu State to that of Rivers state, Rivers state has oil, Enugu don't. But Ph is mostly filled with bungalows while Enugu has more of Igbo high rising houses, Enugu layout is far better than that of Ph, power supply is far better in Enugu. Am yet to comprehend Where 92% underdeveloped came from. The whole of Enugu is developing at a great pace, just like every Nigerian state. Enugu rural doesn't have road but a road in rural Udi of Enugu state is helping motorist get to Anambra since the Enugu-Onitsha federal highway broke down. Enugu rural areas may not be as built up as rural Anambra because it's the truth that on a general scale Anambra has richer people than Enugu, but rural enugu is still far better than most Nigerian States. I say the truth my dear, no matter who is involved, even when it doesn't favour me. If you were hurt by good facts from Enugu, let's review more of it. Enugu has the best Estates in the south east, beats calabar hands down in areas of estates, and Enugu remains the best south east city, that remains the truth for now, if other south east cities measure up to Enugu, then we can review that statement. Enugu remains the melting point of igbos, almost all the top igbo musicians have their roots from Enugu, almost all the igbo elites and politicians have their residence in Enugu. I really don't get you people's beef on Enugu, Enugu, in the last 5years, is making serious progress, and this progress are being engineered by all igbos. I don't get it when people beef Enugu and send out wrong information about Enugu.

My dear, we would have passed this level of development in Nigeria if our leaders can be honest. For now, I can only find pockets of such honest leaders.

AnamCity:
I least agreed with your list. Firstly Onitsha is not a state capital but presently it very clean with the pumping of infrastructural development in the city it is been repositioned. With the instroduction of road sweepers and gardeners the city is focused for the 21st century. Awka on the other side is a city to watch, haven concluded the city planning with focus on Dubai and Kigali models it is set to upturn other cities in the country to stamp it's feet among Nigeria's frontline cities. The ongoing skyline flyovers and other ambitious projects will no doubt place it side by side with other newest Nigerian cities of Abuja and Uyo. Awka has some of best hotels and beautiful girls too, most of Onitsha and Nnewi guys unwind there every weekend and festive seasons. Besides that Awka has some of the best housing estates well laid out.

I again seek to disgree with you on Enugu, it is really over-hyped. Most of those roads some of you flaunt about are bad at the moment and does not reflect the reality on the ground presently. Enugu is a town of over 100years but what we keep hearing is the same story of how few existing roads in the urban centers were resurfaced and all of a sudden it became your whatever. I do not want us Igbos to wash our dirts here further but you don't throw stone in the market as you like. One would expect that Enugu would by now rival PH, Kano even Calabar which are its comtemporaries but alas there is nothing of such but usual unnecessay hype that does not reflect reality. What about the rural parts of Enugu State? You cannot claim to be developed when at 92% of the entire state is still largely undeveloped without even an access road nor health center to start with. We all know this reality about Enugu state but we kept under wraps for brotherhood sake.

I made reference to Asaba, Uyo, Umuahia and even Owerri because I know what I have seen in those areas particularly Asaba and Uyo. Forget about the usual Nigerian stats that does not reflect reality.

I disgree with most of your point totally

This is the first it's kind at least in the Eastern region. You know a city with focus in 21st century when you see one.

6 Likes

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by AnamCity: 3:06pm On Dec 01, 2015
All you have said are your opinion and does not reflect the reality, you can jumping from here to Jericho but the truth will still stare you in the face. I said Enugu state does not measure up with it contempories like PH, Kano, Calabar etc, these are the towns that were created as at the time Enugu was created but they have all left Enugu behind.

I said that 92% of Enugu state is still rural because it is the truth. A little drive away from the few urban roads in enugu will hit you with primitive and backward communities without even roads to start with. I want to see a wholly developed Enugu state and not showing us few urban roads as enugu state. You think all the rural roads were constructed by individuals in Anambra? You don't get bro, it's tiny 5% that were done by individuals.

People had their residences in enugu not because enugu is better but because enugu was the former capital of eastern region. Today it is changing very fast thereby leaving enugu to its own indigenes who cannot do much. People are now going to their places to develop and reside. On the issue of more people staying in Enugu state, is enugu state more populous than Anambra or Imo or even Abia state? The simple indices of knowing where more people reside is population indices. Enugu does not have the best estates, there are even better and more modern estates in Asaba, Awka, Owerri, Umuahia and even Uyo. Stop deceiving yourself because we all know the truth. Enugu is an old town and remains at that nothing more. Enugu is not melting point for anybody, it is only melting point for enugu state people and nothing more. You guys should stop embarrassing yourselves here. Enugu does not have any better roads than others, all those few roads that were once being flashed on NL have all gone bad with potholes. Be sincere to yourself.

I do not hate Enugu state people but you cannot run down another state just to uphold yours. I do not support bad-blood. I still want to know why enugu state is lagging behind in developing holistically like other SE states so that pressure in the little landmass of enugu urban can be spread.

centje:
Well, you will disagree with my points, and even disagree with well researched facts which I presented in pictures since they didn't support the dislike you have for Enugu. Like I said earlier, a lot of people don't know the extent of Enugu, including you. I find it disturbing when people send out falsehood even when the truth is glaring, what do you intend to gain. In my write up, you did notice I clearly stated few of the weakness and greatness of these places, but you rather went all out to degrade Enugu with falsehood. Am in Enugu at the moment and am yet to see most of the roads in deplorable state. Enugu still has the best road built to correct standard, in the south east, with modern road markings, street lights, traffic lights, and regular maintenance.

I like discussing cities, that's why I would reply you... in terms of size, Ph is just very marginally bigger than Enugu, and also economically more advanced than Enugu, those are truth, and they are expected when you compare the federal allocation to Enugu State with that of Rivers state, Rivers state has oil, Enugu don't. But Ph is mostly filled with bungalows while Enugu has more of Igbo high rising houses, Enugu layout is far better than that of Ph, power supply is far better in Enugu. Am yet to comprehend Where 92% underdeveloped came from. The whole of Enugu is developing at a great pace, just like every Nigerian state. Enugu rural is not doesn't have road but a road in rural Udi of Enugu state is helping motorist get to Anambra since the Enugu-Onitsha federal highway broke down. Enugu rural areas may not be as built up as rural Anambra because it's the truth that on a general scale Anambra has richer people than Enugu, but rural enugu is still far better than most Nigerian States. I say the truth my dear, no matter who is involved, even when it doesn't favour me. If you were hurt by good facts from Enugu, let's review more of it. Enugu has the best Estates in the south east, beats calabar hands down in areas of estates, and Enugu remains the best south east city, that remains the truth for now, if other south east cities measure up to Enugu, then we can review that statement. Enugu remains the melting point of igbos, almost all the top igbo musicians have their roots from Enugu, almost all the igbo elites and politicians have their residence in Enugu. I really don't get you people's beef on Enugu, Enugu, in the last 5years, is making serious progress, and this progress are being engineered by all igbos. I don't get it when people beef Enugu and send out wrong information about Enugu.

My dear, we would have passed this level of development in Nigeria if our leaders can be honest. For now, I can only find pockets of such honest leaders.

5 Likes

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Afam4eva(m): 3:12pm On Dec 01, 2015
^^ Is this Odenigbiaroli or nri priest?
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Ponponkon: 3:30pm On Dec 01, 2015
centje:

Enugu remains my best city in the East, it has its many challenges, water issues, water table is quite low. Enugu red soil makes streets and avenues appear dirty even when they are neat, a lot was invested in the state's waste management board, ESWAMA, and they are very effective. On the bright side of Enugu, you can't help but appreciate its Road network, its beautiful layouts, its amazing skyline and topography and the rate it's expanding at the moment is beyond the state control in term of providing basic Amenities but not in terms of proper layout to Avoid congestion in future. I can bet, a lot of Enugu residents, not to talk of visitors like Afam4eva, don't have a clue the extent Enugu has expanded, not only in terms of physical structures but in terms of business, services and industries, mostly medium scale industries. However, I still have fears of Enugu turning into another PH, in terms of congestion, if the Enugu planning Authority relent. A lot of roads in Enugu needs expansion.

Calabar is a beautiful city, everyone knows that. I still hold Donald Duke to high esteem for his style of Governance, similar to that of Sullivan Chime. He forms a major part of what Calabar is today, especially on carving out a niche in tourism. But it worries me, and should worry their state Government because as it stands, oil has been taken away from Cross River by Cameroon through Nigeria and by Akwa ibom, so the State Allocation is heavily down. And they also suffer serious deplorable state of Federal roads just like south East states. Unless, good governor takes the wheel of governance in Cross River, Calabar may not grow at the same rate.

Don't mind the lying Op Afam4eva he did not come to Aba at all
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by AnamCity: 3:35pm On Dec 01, 2015
Afam4eva:
^^ Is this Odenigbiaroli or nri priest?

I am not Odenigbo
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by kmariko: 3:36pm On Dec 01, 2015
@ centje, that's a very nice observation. Great report, unemotional and straight to the point....

You need not get into any argument with anyone here, let them travel and give us their perception of these cities

Thanks
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 01, 2015
I never ran any place down. I never said individual build road in Anambra, I referred to houses. There's no pressure on Enugu land mass. Enugu measures up to Ph, Calabar, Kano and Abuja in many ways. All the best, bro.

AnamCity:
All you have said are your opinion and does not reflect the reality, you can jumping from here to Jericho but the truth will still stare you in the face. I said Enugu state does not measure up with it contempories like PH, Kano, Calabar etc, these are the towns that were created as at the time Enugu was created but they have all left Enugu behind.

I said that 92% of Enugu state is still rural because it is the truth. A little drive away from the few urban roads in enugu will hit you with primitive and backward communities without even roads to start with. I want to see a wholly developed Enugu state and not showing us few urban roads as enugu state. You think all the rural roads were constructed by individuals in Anambra? You don't get bro, it's tiny 5% that were done by individuals.

People had their residences in enugu not because enugu is better but because enugu was the former capital of eastern region. Today it is changing very fast thereby leaving enugu to its own indigenes who cannot do much. People are now going to their places to develop and reside. On the issue of more people staying in Enugu state, is enugu state more populous than Anambra or Imo or even Abia state? The simple indices of knowing where more people reside is population indices. Enugu does not have the best estates, there are even better and more modern estates in Asaba, Awka, Owerri, Umuahia and even Uyo. Stop deceiving yourself because we all know the truth. Enugu is an old town and remains at that nothing more. Enugu is not melting point for anybody, it is only melting point for enugu state people and nothing more. You guys should stop embarrassing yourselves here. Enugu does not have any better roads than others, all those few roads that were once being flashed on NL have all gone bad with potholes. Be sincere to yourself.

I do not hate Enugu state people but you cannot run down another state just to uphold yours. I do not support bad-blood. I still want to know why enugu state is lagging behind in developing holistically like other SE states so that pressure in the little landmass of enugu urban can be spread.

1 Like

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by AnamCity: 4:25pm On Dec 01, 2015
centje:
I never ran any place down. I never said individual build road in Anambra, I referred to houses. There's no pressure on Enugu land mass. Enugu measures up to Ph, Calabar, Kano and Abuja in many ways. All the best, bro.

Enugu is not measured up with it's comtemporaries like PH, Calabar and Kano. Calabar is the delight of holiday makers and carnivals, PH is a major cosmopolitan city which is the delight of job seekers, oil/gas etc, Kano is a major commercial city in the mold of Onitsha. I am yet to know the selling point of Enugu aside the usual online hype brohaha. I am yet to see those things that will move somebody to go to Enugu unlike the above mentioned cities. Let us not go there because you cannot hold on bro. This was the same reason I stated earlier that newer cities are overtaking it because it has nothing else outstanding to its name. There is nothing bro. Ndo!
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Dec 01, 2015
I would like to weigh in sha. Although am late because I was banned by mods

Anambra: development is even. The only eastern state with the highest number of cities. Although the capital is in shambles, I like the fact that Obiano is doing something about it. Awka has grown really fast. Even my village has a library...that says a lot. This state brag with 3 shopping malls in its 3 cities..3 shoping malls. Education, health care gives anambra bragging rights

Enugu: yes enugu metropolis is grand, developement seems magical but that's it. Only 4 local government is viable out of the 17 local governments. Enugu capital was designed and developed by whites although expansion is huge in the metropolis, it's painful to see other places in shambles. See nsukka, the hospitals there are messed up, you have to travel to enugu metropolis for treatment..its a shame. That used to be the second city in enugu, now it's dead like Oji died as well. Education and healthcare is nothing to write home about in enugu. Sullivan did not even donate hand gloves to hospitals throughout this period. Only roads don't make a city. Anambra seems to be even because there's development everywhere not because there are more millionaires in the state

Ebonyi: abakaliki the state capital is growing massive Road constructions like enugu but look beyond. Education, health care like in enugu are in shambles. Afipko in ebonyi is being developed now to be the tourist destination in the state. Ebonyi was starting to pick up under the previous admin, hope the new admin can catch up.

Imo: owerri is using its selling points properly, Wch is the luxury life. But that's that. One thing about a luxury city is if there's crisis in that city, it crashes and grinds to a halt.

Abia: aba industry is the bragging rights for the east. Although road is there problem there, apart from that..I don't see anything wrong with that city.

5 Likes

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 01, 2015
My dear, I tire o. People can't be objective for once, just that I love discussing cities, that's why I engage in such argument.

kmariko:
@ centje, that's a very nice observation. Great report, unemotional and straight to the point....

You need not get into any argument with anyone here, let them travel and give us their perception of these cities

Thanks
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Afam4eva(m): 5:01pm On Dec 01, 2015
centje:
My dear, I tire o. People can't be objective for once, just that I love discussing cities, that's why I engage in such argument.

Your analysis are spot on and in consonance with how I've always weighed those cities. Never mind people who have made up their minds to hate. They don't change. Imagine someone calling Enugu an old Town. Then what will the person call Ibadan and Benin.
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by AnamCity: 5:04pm On Dec 01, 2015
^^

Nobody hates you nor your people but the reality is what is being said here. Afterward you opened this thread and we are here to tell you the truth. It is the truth but I know it is hurts but you have to live with it because your narrow view cannot hold and supersede the majority views.

Okay!

eaglechild:
Thanks for all who are trying to revive this thread.

Please one thing the governor needs to improve on is sanitation.
Some parts of Enugu are simply neglected when it comes to road sweeping.

I wonder why Agbani road cannot be swept daily down to Gariki park. That place is also an entry point into Enugu and always looks very unkempt. It just says welcome to a dirty city.

Even mkpokiti road has heaps of dust dotting the roadside.
I wonder what it takes to sweep these roads.
It is not enough to sweep only highbrow areas. It really pains me to see those heap of dusts, it literally tips me into depression and tells me welcome to Nigeria a land where the most basic and cheapest of chores are taken for granted.

Gburugburu biko dododo, ayiyo ka'm n'ayo gi debee Enugu Ocha. You can employ cheap Labour to sweep ALL major streets and dual carriageways. A dirty street doesnt count.
It is not enough to dispose of the dumpsters the streets MUST BE SWEPT TOO DAILY.

There is something about an unswept city road it just reeks of neglect. Take a drive from Gariki down Agbani road and look at the roadsides it is an eyesore. It shouldn't be so, this is 2015 no city is taken serious if basic things like this cannot be solved.

Meanwhile I hope the government will also do some Christmas decorations. They can take it up a notch this year by laying emphasis on entrance/exit points into the city not just the traditional routes.

Before you all say no money. The decoration can be done in moderation.
A clean city makes for good psychological wellness.
Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Dec 01, 2015
centje:

stop being irrational.Sullivan chime built 500km roads in enugu. http://www.politicoscope.com/sullivan-iheanacho-chime-biography-and-profile/
Although they look grander but it's still same.

Peter obi built 800km roads in anambra.
http://dailypost.ng/2013/09/12/we-have-completed-over-800km-of-roads-in-anambra-governor-obi/ But they don't look so grand. Enugu's development is concentrated on the metropolis and road in udi (sullivan's village). Abia development spreads across

1 Like

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by SpaceTour: 5:28pm On Dec 01, 2015
What is going on here? Ok, you people should all come here and tell me what you all are dragging or I will start whipping these adults.

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by FreeGlobe(f): 5:39pm On Dec 01, 2015
AnamCity:
[s]All you have said are your opinion and does not reflect the reality, you can jumping from here to Jericho but the truth will still stare you in the face. I said Enugu state does not measure up with it contempories like PH, Kano, Calabar etc, these are the towns that were created as at the time Enugu was created but they have all left Enugu behind.

[/s]

This your entire post reeks of hate and belongs to the dustbin. Enugu is the best city in Eastern Nigeria (including uyo, ph, and calabar).. If you like rant from now till tomorrow, it won't change anything. There is no estate in The entire SS/SE that is better than independence layout. None

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/02/enugu-34-others-emerge-rockefeller-100-resilient-cities/

5 Likes

Re: How Do Eastern Cities Compare With Each Other? by SpaceTour: 5:43pm On Dec 01, 2015
Freeglobe stop attacking people and prove him wrong word by word. He made a point that Calabar, PH and Kano has all left Enugu behind and that is the truthful point I got from him, that those were the states created at the same time. Let us look at development State-wide and not a small space of land built on. I didn't see anything in Enugu state that makes it look better than others only that you are too emotional.

I warned about how Afam created this thread to run Aba to the ground with his opening statements. If this is the sort of thread we should be opening so be it..

[s]
FreeGlobe:

This your entire post reeks of hate and belongs to the dustbin. Enugu is the best city in Eastern Nigeria (including uyo, ph, and calabar).. If you like rant from now till tomorrow, it won't change anything. There is no estate in The entire SS/SE that is better than independence layout. None
http://www.100resilientcities.org/cities/entry/enugu#/-_/
[/s]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago / 18 Passengers Roasted Alive In Enugu Accident (Graphic Photos) / Drone Shots Of Aba Commercial City In Southeast Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.