Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,109 members, 7,814,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character (29813 Views)

61-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 40 Years In Marriage. Photos / Marry and Grow In Love Or Marry The Person You Love, Which One Is Better? / DEBATE: Mother And Father Who Is More Important In The Family And Why ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by DedeNkem: 4:40pm On Dec 02, 2015
If one MUST choose one, I'll choose character any day and time because I don't want love from a prostitute or someone who farts in public with impunity or quarrels with everyone I know or beat the crap out of me (even though I don't hit a woman) or cheats on me or create problems everywhere or in fact, a terrible woman. When a bad person loves you, it doesn't worth the love, trust me.

When you get a person with a great character then you work on love, which most people already do without even knowing.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by utuk: 4:47pm On Dec 02, 2015
ops does the lady loves you? Are both of you in love?
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Mixty: 4:48pm On Dec 02, 2015
DedeNkem:
If one MUST choose one, I'll choose character any day because I don't want love from a prostitute or someone farts in public or quarrels with everyone you know or beat the crap out of you or cheats on you or create problems everywhere or in fact, a terrible woman. When a bad person loves you, it doesn't worth the love.

When you get a person with a great character then you work on love, which most people already do without knowing.
grin grin grin
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Favolly(f): 4:50pm On Dec 02, 2015
olowoba:
I need advise from the married folks here.
There is this lady that i have been dating for over 3 years. She's pretty, her character is almost flawless, neat, domesticated, hardworking, respects and loves me a lot. In short, she will most likely be a good wife. However, I like her but do not love her from the depth of my heart. I have tried hard to love her because shes is a good gal but it just isn't there. However, I am still considering her because she has the best character i have seen amongst all the women I have met. My greatest fear is if i will be able to endure a loveless but relatively peaceful marriage.

On the other hand, I am beginning to fall in love woth someone else that i hardly know. She appears friendly, maybe not as pretty as current girlfriend but her smile can melt my heart. I am very fond of her and I just tend to like eveything about her. I have only known her for a short time and I am almost ready to go ahead with marriage. She's nice but not as loving as my gf. My fear is - what if she turns out to be a lazy, nagging and hateful wife. Will i be able to endure a bad wife that I love so much?

So which is more important to a successful marriage? Love or character?
Which should be the foremost in choosing a wife? To marry a good and loving gal, or to marry a girl I love that may turn out to exhibit some very bad characters?

Only for the married folks please....they have the experience.
If you marry your current girlfriend whom you do not love, it's obvious you'll cheat on her at some point
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 02, 2015
bros sorry for my advice cos it may sound as an abuse or insult but take it as advice... from all d story so far i can see dat u are fed up of d first lady u claimed to be in a relationship for three gud years,am so sure u love d girl throughout d first year,second year,third year. but av u forgotten ur words of approaching d girl from day one u met??. because u av seen one girl with a gud smile u now tink of u dont love d first girl...i dont buy such idea.. i dated my wife for gud 5years and she is d one am happily married to.from d heart of d first girl she will tink she must av seen a faithful guy to marry not knowing he is opposite,do u know d number of men d girl must av rejected dere offer because of u... guy if i know u in person i will need to give u a dirty slap..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by urobochiali: 4:56pm On Dec 02, 2015
Bro what I see u have for the second girl is lust since u have already called the other one ur girlfriend. So my man I advice u to cool down the tempo for her and settle down for ur girlfriend.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Favolly(f): 4:57pm On Dec 02, 2015
Tamakay:
Let me also add this, u can never get the true character of a woman until three things happens to u. They are; 1. When a man is broke 2. When there are issues(children). 3. When u cheat on her. When all these happens and she is still with u then know that her character is stable and the marriage will last. Don't forget also character is made up of so many components. She might have a good xter in respecting u but she might have a bad character in preparing ur meal not on time.
Really though?? undecided
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by JoeCutie(m): 5:04pm On Dec 02, 2015
Not minding the story, I'm going to go straight and answer your question.

Love is overrated. What exactly is love actually? A woman who has a good character, the character of a good wife to her husband and a good mother to her kids is already showing the greatest love. Forget those "baby I love you" crew. Show it.

To me, character takes it. Through your character, you show whether or not you love me.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by ndsissy: 5:07pm On Dec 02, 2015
olowoba:
There is this lady that i have been dating for over 3 years. She's pretty, her character is almost flawless, neat, domesticated, hardworking, respects and loves me a lot. In short, she will most likely be a good wife. However, I like her but do not love her from the depth of my heart. I have tried hard to love her because shes is a good gal but it just isn't there. However, I am still considering her because she has the best character i have seen amongst all the women I have met. My greatest fear is if i will be able to endure a loveless but relatively peaceful marriage.

On the other hand, I am beginning to fall in love woth someone else that i hardly know. She appears friendly, maybe not as pretty as current girlfriend but her smile can melt my heart. I am very fond of her and I just tend to like eveything about her. I have only known her for a short time and I am almost ready to go ahead with marriage. She's nice but not as loving as my gf. My fear is - what if she turns out to be a lazy, nagging and hateful wife. Will i be able to endure a bad wife that I love so much?

Which should be the foremost in choosing a wife? To marry a good and loving gal, or to marry a girl I love that may turn out to exhibit some very bad characters?

. Though, I am not married yet. But common sense tells me that Character comes first in "everything u do". If u want to have a good home marry someone that u Like as time goes on d love develope naturally.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 02, 2015
After 3 good years of dating....
My fellow broda,you are so inhuman.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 02, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/olowoba
"My greatest fear
is if i will be able to endure
a loveless but relatively
peaceful marriage."
Loveless you call it after 3 good years all because you are lustful after someone you don't really know!
No make me swear for you.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Aseneshii: 5:26pm On Dec 02, 2015
The other girl love you the most that's why she has a good character, while you love the other one. Single guys here would tell you to go for the one you love but married men will encourage you to go for the one with good character. Experience is the best teacher, make your choice.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Neverquit(f): 5:31pm On Dec 02, 2015
Please Lord, deliver us (both men and women) from time wasters.

So, you have been dating a woman of marriageable age (I presume) for 3 solid years angry, and still uncertain whether you want to marry her? Ah! shocked

Please let her go. Break up with her, so that she'll have the opportunity to find someone that will truly love her.

Olowoba, break up with the gf, and date the one you love. Part of the adventure of dating is discovering each other. Take that risk. Say NO to double dating

1 Like

Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by mistyebby(f): 5:32pm On Dec 02, 2015
How do people even fall in love with someone with a bad character? Bad character is a no go area for me, no love at all!
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Mixty: 5:33pm On Dec 02, 2015
IHate9ja1:
https://www.nairaland.com/olowoba
"My greatest fear
is if i will be able to endure
a loveless but relatively
peaceful marriage."
Loveless you call it after 3 good years all because you are lustful after someone you don't really know!
No make me swear for you.
So are you saying that he should marry someone just because he has dated her for 3 years?
A broken relationship is way better than a broken marriage.

1 Like

Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by HopeAlive14(m): 5:34pm On Dec 02, 2015
[b]1 Corinthians 13 - New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Excellence of Love...Love Is the Greatest.

1. If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

2. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

3. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body [a]to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

4. Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,

5. does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,

6. does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;

7. bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8. Love never fails; but if there are gifts of [c]prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

9. For we know in part and we prophesy in part;

10. but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

11. When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I [d]became a man, I did away with childish things.

12. For now we see in a mirror [e]dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

13. But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the [f]greatest of these is love.

1 Like

Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 02, 2015
Otsealu1:
Its character. There is a stage in marriage according to my mum where love is no where to be found. Its character that sustains it at this stage. One will have to calm down for peace to reign.

very true. there r times when my parents disagree to an extent that i ask myself 'do these two love each other?' but my mom's gud character has kept d home intact..she is very humble, doesnt raise her voice at my dad when trying to make her point during d course of any disagreement and makes my dad feel like a king even during heated arguements....I hav learnt frm my parents that there will definitely come a time in d marriage when one partner wont feel 'love' towards d other person..In all, I hav realized that love isnt everything, but understanding and a good character keeps a marriage working...

3 Likes

Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by spicyhoney(f): 5:40pm On Dec 02, 2015
datguru:
Let me put you in the right frame of mind bro.

Love and character work together, the reason you love a person is because of certain characters the person portray that attracts you and makes to want to be with that person. If you claim to love someone, it means you like the person's character.

Now, talking about love, it's a mental thing. Love is like a sickness and we recover from it with time. Love is necessary but not too important in a relationship or marriage, because it's like malaria, it comes and goes. The only thing you need to sustain any marriage or relationship is TOLERANCE.
Sometimes we see people who were deeply in love before getting married but 6 months after the marriage, they are talking of divorce, it's because there's no tolerance

You can only tolerate someone whose character you like. So I in this context, I think character before love

Well 'said'!

Tolerance is the key word for sustaining a relationship or marriage.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Mekzy02(m): 5:41pm On Dec 02, 2015
datguru:
Let me put you in the right frame of mind bro.

Love and character work together, the reason you love a person is because of certain characters the person portray that attracts you and makes to want to be with that person. If you claim to love someone, it means you like the person's character.

Now, talking about love, it's a mental thing. Love is like a sickness and we recover from it with time. Love is necessary but not too important in a relationship or marriage, because it's like malaria, it comes and goes. The only thing you need to sustain any marriage or relationship is TOLERANCE.
Sometimes we see people who were deeply in love before getting married but 6 months after the marriage, they are talking of divorce, it's because there's no tolerance

You can only tolerate someone whose character you like. So I in this context, I think character before love
mehn I owe u 3 bottles of ORIGIN!!
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by calberian: 5:45pm On Dec 02, 2015
Seriously, 3 years vs short period. Character + pretty + loving vs love.

Anyways, our elders say he who lets go of the tail of an animal he's caught in order to catch the head always ends up with nothing.

Be well advised bruh.

1 Like

Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by openmine(m): 5:52pm On Dec 02, 2015
you can't talk about love without character and vis versa...both are extremely needed in a marriage
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 02, 2015
oba999:
bros sorry for my advice cos it may sound as an abuse or insult but take it as advice... from all d story so far i can see dat u are fed up of d first lady u claimed to be in a relationship for three gud years,am so sure u love d girl throughout d first year,second year,third year. but av u forgotten ur words of approaching d girl from day one u met??. because u av seen one girl with a gud smile u now tink of u dont love d first girl...i dont buy such idea.. i dated my wife for gud 5years and she is d one am happily married to.from d heart of d first girl she will tink she must av seen a faithful guy to marry not knowing he is opposite,do u know d number of men d girl must av rejected dere offer because of u... guy if i know u in person i will need to give u a dirty slap..
No I did not. I was initially attracted to her because of her beauty but couldn't let go of her because of her outstanding character. There were times in which we broke up but I always find a way of bringing her back because she meets my specs character-wise and socially. Aside that, I do not romantically have feelings for her. I like her but I'm not in love with her. I can spend days without thinking about her at all.
However, I'm falling in love with the other girl.

1 Like

Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Bluffly: 6:16pm On Dec 02, 2015
Character comes first because humans always get attracted by something to build love. Some get attracted to the physique, some the intellect, and some character before they start talking about "I Love You" So good character is very important in saving/keeping a marriage.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by preetyb(f): 6:17pm On Dec 02, 2015
My dear both are very important. If u love someone with a bad character, that love will eventually turn to hate and when you marry some one that has a good character but you don't love, you will end up making both of ur lives miserable which may also lead to a strong hate between u 2.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by muelzik(m): 6:17pm On Dec 02, 2015
Kingsasian:
I can't live with someone I don't love so I prefer no.1. I know how to tame a woman with a bad character

Just a few question. For how long into eternity would you continue to tame a woman with a bad character? 10 years in the marriage? 25? 30? 50?

For how long would u live with a beautiful loving and caring woman you don't love? How long? If it take you more than 21days living with such yet no sign of you loving her, then you may have to check yourself.

My dear, you can live to grow for a good wife, but may die taming a woman with a bad character.

For me, I will go for the first. Love is powerful.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Matty33(m): 6:27pm On Dec 02, 2015
olowoba:

My bros I'll u to go for love; when love is in place every other short coming is overlooked. Love in marriage is the in-thing, u'll keep smiling every other day n live longer. Don't be deceived please.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Matty33(m): 6:27pm On Dec 02, 2015
olowoba:

My bros I'll advice u to go for love; when love is in place every other short coming is overlooked. Love in marriage is the in-thing, u'll keep smiling every other day n live longer. Don't be deceived please.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by AfroKnight: 6:28pm On Dec 02, 2015
zoelife:

But the tendency for him to cheat in such a marriage is higher.

Or don't u think so?

Hmmm, yes. You're right. But if he knows what is good for him, he won't do that to a her. It's not everyday a guy meets such a woman.

1 Like

Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by Lakeland4321: 6:48pm On Dec 02, 2015
Kingsasian:
I can't live with someone I don't love so I prefer no.1. I know how to tame a woman with a bad character
Wrong answer!
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by doubleportion: 6:51pm On Dec 02, 2015
Your case can be likened to. Somebody that dabbled into FOREX and was given a demo account to practice with,after three month he made some profit and he sttart jubilating. Don't go into marriage with that calculation you may gett your hand burnt. Marriage nowadays is a game,and in most time women are smater,the only time you have to make a change is before you say I do, anyone you make you make after that will leave an indelible mark(wounds).
My advice to anyone regarding this is to leave love out of this. It is emotion that is killing us.Love is not a fix asset in this generation, it is avariable asset.
Re: Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character by doubleportion: 7:03pm On Dec 02, 2015
Matty33:
My bros I'll u to go for love; when love is in place every other short coming is overlooked. Love in marriage is the in-thing, u'll keep smiling every other day n live longer. Don't be deceived please.

When your parent ask you 'what do you know about love?' You will never know that it is a million dollars question untill realitty down on you. Don't get me wrong I know what love is.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is Not A Sin If Your Wife Cheats On You, You Should Be Happy & Learn - Rev. Lutt / Why Do Men Do DNA Test ? – Lady Asks / My Younger Sister Has This Entitlement Mentality. Help I'm Scared For Her.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.