Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,896 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba (15449 Views)

10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 10:08pm On May 31, 2009
@gaggi, bloody fool, I can't blame you. Your family gets return from King or what-so-ever. The blood of the majority will fight back. Your oba trained as laywer why can't him use what he has to pursue his career go? Ass hole, if not for mordernity would you be on this forum to spill your hatred and and rant like you about to die in a minute. You ain't my type and you area fool. I rest my case!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sparkle3: 10:33pm On May 31, 2009
Wow! Such venom from a lot of people! Where is the love guys? Nigeria is one and we will remain one NOT through intolerance of other cultures but through acceptance. Accept the things u can't change and play ur own role in developing Nigeria. We shall overcome in Jesus' Name
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 10:48pm On May 31, 2009
simply threw decorum to the wind. Lyk i previously stated,u'l do well to enlighten us.

silence cloud the air.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sley4life(m): 11:03pm On May 31, 2009
@okokomeji, u spoke well. Leave that a*s hole alone. He should be ashamed of himself. I wish he was a twin & existed during the era where twins where slaughtered he would have joined them all because he supports the myths of this old folks that call themselves monarch.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 11:03pm On May 31, 2009
@sparkle. There is still love in Nigeria I promise, but I know you would be surprised with commotion going on, it's meant to happen like this sometimes. So that the beneficiary of old superstition, would know that there is a renew interest in modernity. If the so called Gagi or garri could proof to me beyond a doubt the evils that palm fruits bring? Then we would forget about all these rant and raves. We used to be the largest producer of palm oil in the world, due to calumny harbingers like this; we lost the holder to Malaysia whom we introduced the seeds to in 70s. Put ban on killing or using human parts for business, kidnappings, armed robbery, embellishment of public funds and underserved royalties. Now you are talking, smiley
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 11:13pm On May 31, 2009
the sooner we Ban all these glorify demi god the better for us all and our development, go to Lagos every nook and cranny now have one stupid yeye person called oba , fully paid by the state govt which in turn is a drain on our meagre revenue.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by kosovo(m): 11:22pm On May 31, 2009
Bullsh*t! I happen to be in Benin during that period and I know that resistance to the dredging project came as a result of the huge resources that the then govenor (Lucky) wanted to expend on it. I don't remeber cow running into river. . .
RETARD!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by kosovo(m): 11:28pm On May 31, 2009
the sooner we Ban all these glorify demi god the better for us all and our development, go to Lagos every nook and cranny now have one stupid yeye person called oba , fully paid by the state govt which in turn is a drain on our meagre revenue.
IF you think the oba of benin is equal to those hungy obas'sss you have in lagos then you are obviously dumb!
  GO and  ask people what happened to the predesessor of LUCK IGBENEDION, when he said he was not going to recognize the oba and his chiefs,
  Himself and his genration has already been wiped out, even after countless Apologies. grin

remo keep making noise,
what a waste!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by spoilt(f): 11:28pm On May 31, 2009
So how are those who sell palmfruit supposed to eek out a living? Display their wares in a dark store room to whom?
Its bizzare!!! This is 2009!!!!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by kosovo(m): 11:36pm On May 31, 2009
So how are those who sell palmfruit supposed to eek out a living? Display their wares in a dark store room to whom?
Its bizzare!!! This is 2009!!!!
stop making NOISE!
if you don't know the road to the Oba's palace, i can leave my work and take you there.
PM me when ready.

yes This is 2009 and Nigeria looks like 1834,

what a waste of bandwidth!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 11:39pm On May 31, 2009
@ kosovo

your oba of Benin  either a  fist class oba  or not uphold some of those traditions we need not in Nigeria of today , so you can keep praising them for all you like. as of now i will resist name calling.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by kosovo(m): 11:45pm On May 31, 2009
your oba of Benin either a fist class oba or not uphold some of those traditions we need not in Nigeria of today , so you can keep praising them for all you like. as of now i will resist name calling.
\

good.

i wana sleep, and i need you to do same.
GO to BED!
you might be day dreaming, who knows?.
i will be back by month ending.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by 190: 11:47pm On May 31, 2009
never heard that sometin like dis eva happened in benin
where did this newspaper get such info from!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 11:50pm On May 31, 2009
i know your type will not resist the little jab  and the soft elbow whatever the ref says but nonetheless a word is enough for , you heaaaaaaaaaaar.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 11:50pm On May 31, 2009
@sley4life: Thank you my brother, I don't disrespect people. But Garri thinks he has guts to insult anybody because of their opinions. He just kept yelling at Osisi and one other guy because they were on contrary with king superstition. I wish he was born before Mary Slessor came to Nigeria to abolish killing of twins. Did you know how many millions of innocent twins sent to untimely death in the name of so called tradition? They said giving birth to twins it's a precursor of evil omen. One British textbook says more than 3 millions of Yoruba twins were sent to early death. Reason, it says in the whole world out of all tribes in the face of the earth, the Yorubas have the highest rate of giving to twins up to this present age. It says twins are not sign of omen but a blessing from Supreme Being.
Why people of Southwest give birth to twins frequently? It says first of all, they like eating diary food which account for high rate of fertility and again many ladies that have had kids already still give birth in their thirties.
The third one is due to the advancement in technology; you can do implantation to have twins or more than that.
Thank bros!! This informative age it's hard to say sometimes and nobody will have few opinions about it, I don't think so. We are all on this forum to share our opinions and gain more perspectives. Rather than some people to think, it’s an avenue to lash out anybody that does not conform to their ideology or perspective.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 11:50pm On May 31, 2009
Your father and generations unborn are illiterates. You bitch.
How dare you open your mouth to insult an Oba of Benin. Thank your stars for modernity. You'd be dead by now.
The Oba has more education than your worthless generation. Fool.
Perhaps its your mothers worthless head that is used for sacrifice. Fool.
BTW Osisi means gun in the bini language and thats what will kill you if you don't apologose. to all binis.

@ogaga

all your abuse,back to sender in Jesus's name Amen! cool
see how stupid you sound defending a grown man who is scared of palm kernels
tradition my calloused feet.
no wonder Benin looks like the village of umuofia in 1666

This is the reason I said the Oba and his subjects have a couple of nuts missing.
Keep displaying the stuff you're made of tongue
may the oba carrying a palmfruit pursue you for night
I should apologise to the Oba or the oba should apologise to Nigerians for making a foolish statement in 2009
part of his former empire is being bombed to oblivion by the Nigerian army and he's seeing palm nuts in the dream
What a joker?

@osisi,
As a rugged lord, i know what a gun can do. please beware !!!

Empty threats from a good for nothing oba's town crier
I know thuggery dey run for una blood
unfortunately e  no dey pass new bini market tongue
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 12:07am On Jun 01, 2009
When will all these madness stop in Nigeria?
Sapeleguy, you come across as though you might be educated, but you seem to be playing stupid all in the name of showing support for some old-age culture and tradition. There is nothing wrong in upholding some things from our cultures, but do we have to remain backward and allow medieval values to deprive us of development and civilization?
I am still yet to read any rational / objective arguments from you as to how this measure from the Oba will contribute to the well-being of the Edo people. So long you are not forth-coming with such, this only makes it more obvious that this measure is crap.

Don't mind the idiots.
An educated idiot is still an idiot nevertheless.
What is the oba's contribution to his "subjects" ?
What has he done to relieve the poverty,thuggery,robbery and prostitution in Edo state or Nigeria as a whole ?
The average man in Edo like the rest of Nigeria lives in abject poverty and he's talking about palm fruits and his gods.
What a fetish man.
May the fire of the Holy Ghost consume that devilish tradition of his.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 12:11am On Jun 01, 2009
kosovo:

IF you think the oba of benin is equal to those hungy obas'sss you have in lagos then you are obviously dumb!
GO and ask people what happened to the predesessor of LUCK IGBENEDION, when he said he was not going to recognize the oba and his chiefs,
Himself and his genration has already been wiped out, even after countless Apologies. grin

remo keep making noise,
what a waste!

You are now using your only contributrion to the state of Nigeria
I mean your various god that receive chicken and human heads to threaten people who disagree with you.
May you fall into the hole you dig for others.
What has these powers that the oba uses to finish his enemies contributed to the welfare of Edo state.
Don't those gods know how to provide people with food and good jobs and save the young girls from going to Italy?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 12:11am On Jun 01, 2009
$osisi:

@ogaga

all your abuse,back to sender in Jesus's name Amen! cool
see how stupid you sound defending a grown man who is scared of perm kernels
tradition my calloused feet.
no wonder Benin looks like the village of umuofia in 1666

This is the reason I said the Oba and his subjects have a couple of nuts missing.
Keep displaying the stuff you're made of tongue
may the oba carrying a palmfruit pursue you for night
I should apologise to the Oba or the oba should apologise to Nigerians for making a foolish statement in 2009
part of his former empire is being bombed to oblivion by the Nigerian army and he's seeing palm nuts in the dream
What a joker?

Empty threats from a good for nothing oba's town crier
I know thuggery dey run for una blood
unfortunately e  no dey pass new bini market tongue

Lol.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 12:19am On Jun 01, 2009
was shock and suprised to hear this from educated people ( if really they really went through education or education went through them). i respect oba but i believe his advisers should think very well before making such law. Majority of death is due to human Errol. look at the bad roads, the government seems to turn blind eyes. some of the driver are not making things easy by driving reckless without caution on the pot holes we have on our major roads. There is nothing like evil spirit or evil course. what they ( oba`s and his adviser ) do, let them speak to the government to make all our road accessable, make traffic law, recruit more traffic corp, check the standard or MOT of those cars if they are really road worthy, education the driver about safely of driving on the road and some other road safely law. I think some of those thing will reduce road accident and death than ban palm fruit which are source of some people in come. even in European which are more advance than Nigeria, their is still accident and death but we can only reduce road accident as some are human and mechanical Errol. Live and let live. God bless you all.

I don't know about now but the stretch of road fronm Benin to Ore used to be the most dangerous in Nigeria.Thousands upon thousands of innocent souls have perished on that route and a whole Oba is talking of palm kennels bringing him bad luck.
These traditional rulers,[b]I mean all of them need to be left to fend for themselves and stop sucking the government dry.[/b]Some of them make these statements from too much belleful.If they were pushing truck at Ekeanwan or New Bini  and Idumota they won't have mouth to talk rubbish.
Someone should tell me what they contribute to Nigeria that they should be on our payroll.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 12:26am On Jun 01, 2009
the sooner they all go tot he museum of history the better.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by romeo(m): 12:34am On Jun 01, 2009
Is that Oba an (edudated) illiterate? What a useless generatation of the Obas, the Igwes, the politiacians of present day Nigeria
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 12:35am On Jun 01, 2009
With all the education and enlightenment, it still amazes me how some people could be so block headed and blind sighted.Look at some posters defending the Oba's statements as if their lives depends on it.

If this Oba is so powerful,so educated,so ommipotent, why is Edo State backward?Why haven't the gods of the palmfruit done something to remove corruption in the land (bloody numbskulls).It's exactly because of this backward mentality,nigeria remains the same.Nobody has the guts to challenge and elder who is a big a THIEF (YES, THEY ARE THIEVES) simply because they have white hair on their heads.If you belong to this category of people, you are either a dunce or a fellow thief benefiting from them.

This "Do not question the elders" mentality is the reason why nobody can drill Obasanjo to explain how $16 billion dollars went missing with no electricity.$1 million dollars is N1.7 billion naira and we are talking about $1 million dollars into 16,000 places.My brain or computer cannot dare count that much.NOBODY can challenge him because he is "an elder".He knows "better".You dont know what "he has seen".Elders my dirty black ass.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 12:40am On Jun 01, 2009
@Kosovo or Russian, the falling of Igbinnedon is not the spell casted my Oba , it’s he’s inability to fulfill the promise to the people of Benin. He did some little significant thing I can see, but he should have done better than that. Then he celebrated his father birthday all over the world in USA, London, South Africa and Australia. He then presented a brand new customized phantom rolls Royce worth’s one million dollars. And a lot of people in Benin City who live less than a dollar a day seen all that. Don’t get it wrong, nothing wrong with getting your daddy a gift and for the caliber of Igbinnedon family I think they worth more than that. But for the fact that, he was the governor at that time, even though he might not have taken the money from Government’s pocket, people would think he did. That was the first thing against him. Secondly, he got indicted by EFCC for embezzlement of public funds that put a commas on his character. Last, the Igbinnedon family got into tussle with Anthony Aneith family over succession of power to Aneith family.
I won’t argue with you about Obas because they all the same and we sitting down here defending the ones we like. If am to choose two richest Obas in Nigeria; I would choose the main Oba of Lagos and Eze of River state. Because, Lagos state GDP (nominal) PPP has net $35 billion dollars, and River state because of Oil royalties collecting by the king.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 12:43am On Jun 01, 2009
okokomeji:

@sley4life: Thank you my brother, I don't disrespect people. But Garri thinks he has guts to insult anybody because of their opinions. He just kept yelling at Osisi and one other guy because they were on contrary with king superstition. I wish he was born before Mary Slessor came to Nigeria to abolish killing of twins. Did you know how many millions of innocent twins sent to untimely death in the name of so called tradition? They said giving birth to twins it's a precursor of evil omen. One British textbook says more than 3 millions of Yoruba twins were sent to early death. Reason, it says in the whole world out of all tribes in the face of the earth, the Yorubas have the highest rate of giving to twins up to this present age. It says twins are not sign of omen but a blessing from Supreme Being.
Why people of Southwest give birth to twins frequently? It says first of all, they like eating diary food which account for high rate of fertility and again many ladies that have had kids already still give birth in their thirties.
The third one is due to the advancement in technology; you can do implantation to have twins or more than that.
Thank bros!! This informative age it's hard to say sometimes and nobody will have few opinions about it, I don't think so. We are all on this forum to share our opinions and gain more perspectives. Rather than some people to think, it’s an avenue to lash out anybody that does not conform to their ideology or perspective.

Thank you!
These idiots want us op swallow nonsense because some traditional ruler on the payroll of the federal republic of Nigeria says so.
There's no telling what may happen to an innocent trader transporting his fruits on an okada.
Some of the Oba's touts may strangle him,behead the Okada man and burn the palm fruits because it'll bring them badluck not knowing that they are the bad luck themselves and we wonder why Nigeria is backward.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 12:43am On Jun 01, 2009
@okokomeji

Guy i dey feel you jare.Tell them the facts.Na to dey blindly defend leaders wey no give 2 shits about the slaved up ass dem sabi.Bloody fanatics.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 12:46am On Jun 01, 2009
Their mythical story of creation says that Edo is the cradle of the world {“Edo ore Isi Agbon”}. They say that when God Almighty was creating the world, he also created the kings who were to rule the various parts of the world. These kings before descending from heaven to earth were asked to make their choices of whatever gifts they wanted god to endow them with. While other chose wealth, wisdom or magical powers, the king of Benin had nothing left other than a dirty snail shell containing sang the story says that when the king of Benin got to the world, which was, water logged then, he poured the sand on a point now known as Benin which came to be a dry land. The other kings who had been hovering around without a dry land to settle upon had to ask the Benin king for land. This is the origin of the saying that “Oba yan oto se Evbo Ebo” Meaning that Oba owns the land up to European country.[/quote

i found this on benin website, i challenge the oba to decree on the last sentence, if he does have the power.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by MrCrackles(m): 12:48am On Jun 01, 2009
Na wa ooo! grin
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 12:49am On Jun 01, 2009
Na so dem go dey defend "elders" wey no send them.Lucky use state funds by roll royce of $1 million.Dem blind eyes no go see that one.Na to dey defend wetin dem no sabi.That na why dem call us slaves.Anybody wey dey support this kain rubbish na slave (Especially that gaggi boy wey need re-orientation).Bloody  fanatic angry
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 12:50am On Jun 01, 2009
Mumu "elder" worshiping fanatics.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 1:01am On Jun 01, 2009
Ekiadolor Community in Benin kingdom recently witnessed a traditional ritual during which the Oba’s representative led other traditional chiefs in placing a curse on all those involved in perpetrating bloody cult wars at the state owned Ekiadolor College of Education.

no be today for benin now. this was 23. sept 2005.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 1:05am On Jun 01, 2009
Personally, i believe the Oba is trying to show his revelance and "power" in society by bringing up the palm fruit crap.I'm from a very traditional family and i know how easy it is to use superstition to blind fold people to have your way.Blind sighted Africans love myths.They would rather die than be convinced that the fables their grandfather told them just aint true.It's people like that Gaggi boy that run to native doctors anytime something goes wrong with their lives because they believe the "gods" must be angry at them or someone is "manipulating" their lives by remote control.My people, i take God beg una, OPEN UNA SENSE ABEG.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Having Visitors Without Prior Notice: Your View / Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? / The Traditional Culture Of Greeting In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.