Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,910 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba (15450 Views)

10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by otokx(m): 10:00am On Jun 01, 2009
Its these same palm trees that are bringing billions of dollars to malaysia; the same ones they took from Nigeria.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 10:16am On Jun 01, 2009
@kosovo, you have lost your marbles.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 10:20am On Jun 01, 2009
@Oxone. Yes, I am from Lag. Wake up from your slumber, the Oba of Benin had never at any point in time rule anywhere other than Benin Kingdom. The one and only almighty Oyo empire was the strongest empire throughout the whole west Africa. It’d ruled the whole south, togo, benin republic and part of Ghana. It’s apparent destruction was due to intercine wars among Yoruba villages and followed by invasion of Arab wars led by Usmas Dan Fodio (Sokoto Caliphate) and Afonja (Yoruba from Kwara state). They would never even break in to that extent. Lugard and British supply ammunitions for Usmas Dan Fodio. There after, the Lugards set up confederate camp throughout the north and later conquer the whole south too. Then, that gave birth to amalgamation of 1914 muthersucker, who the hell thought you history when you don’t even know your history.

Okokomeji, you're full of shit! are you trying to rewrite the Nigerian history?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by agboifo(f): 10:22am On Jun 01, 2009
I guess a traditional ruler needs to test his popularity once in a while.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sley4life(m): 10:50am On Jun 01, 2009
Gaggi abi na garri, u don drink garri too much that u cant open ur eyes to see the truth. Thats why u will always remain in dark age. U are a foolish slave of the idotic monarch. U are the most idio tic person ive come across in this forum even insa*ne people around are much better than u
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 11:01am On Jun 01, 2009
Sley4life, what is your problem?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Myself2(m): 11:17am On Jun 01, 2009
Tradition my foot.The Oba and his chiefs should wake up.There are other meaningful aspects of our culture worth dwelling on,this is just one ridiculous pronouncement.Now we know those that have been sabotaging the efforts of NIFOR to bring Nigeria at par with Malaysia as far as palm oil production is concerned
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 11:25am On Jun 01, 2009
Tradition my foot.The Oba and his chiefs should wake up.There are other meaning aspects of our culture worth dwelling,this is just one ridiculous pronouncement.Now we know those that have been sabotaging the efforts of NIFOR to bring Nigeria at par with Malaysia as far as palm oil production is concerned
Nonsense! the Oba and his chiefs knows the full value of this plant. They started the farming and exporting of palms to the west hundreds of years ago before the Creation of Nigeria.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by QuardCore(m): 12:02pm On Jun 01, 2009
I dont know if  Seun is watching this. Its becoming messier than I had expected when I started following this threed since yesterday. If I were a moderator or have a way of h-a-c-king NL, I would block or better still, delete this thread.
@ all
Why not try and be matured about our opinions on this issue. Respect  other people's opinion. I don't think Seun's philosophy of setting this online community is what is gong on now. This should have been an avenue of exchaging ideas. I must confess, most of the things I know today, I did not learn from the four walls of university. Even with all my trainings in IT, there are a lot I was not taught by my tutors. I learnt them online and some from NL.I can see  a lot of misunderstanding here. The problem is when some body already has a mindset, he will narrow his perception, conclusions and the way he relates wit others along that line.
For Christ's sake, the Omo 'n Oba nedo, Uku akpolo akpolo, Oba Erediauwa II(sorry if there is any error in the spelings) is a living legend. Well, its sad to say that Africans don't respect their living legends, until after they've gone.
He needs to be held in high esteem. Be that as it is, I do not concour with him on the ban.
It will suprise you to know that some of his children are christans. Three of his queens are christians too. When I say christians, I don't man church goers. I mean committed, Holy Ghost Filled, tongue talking and believes in the miraculous in he Name of Jesus Christ.
   There are some ceremonies in the palace, that they don't partake in. The Omon Oba has not killed them. I believe that it is because of his level of education and dynamism.
@Osisi
I don't think Gaggi is mad because people are against the edict or ban. He has said he is not in support of it. He is furious because he felt the Oba was insulted by your rhetorical question,", is the Oba an illiterate". There are certain comments you will make to certain people, it will not mean any thing, put to others, because of their status in society, asking such a question could mean that you are drawing a conclusion. The Oba is very well read, including his kids
@Gaggi
I think you should take it easy. If you display more furry, some people will in the end, not be enlightened. You know the human mind is negatively programmed. It is the poring of  vituperations that they will have on their minds instead of what you set out to achieve by educating them.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Krayola(m): 12:19pm On Jun 01, 2009
sapeleguy: Please don't come on and quote vague urban myths. Name the country and ethnic nationality and provide evidence. I am willing to bet you what you have described is not sanctioned by any culture or tradition. It is criminality and child abuse, pure and simple.

Why not ask Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism to justify their religious beliefs?

This religious practice has always been in existence, more importantly it is not hurting anybody so find another crusade.

"Semen ingestion has also had central importance in some cultures around the world. In Baruya culture, there is a secret ritual in which boys give MouthAction to young males and drink their semen, in order to "re-engender themselves prior to marriage".

"In Kenya, FGM (Female Genital Mutilation) and FGC (Female Genital Cutting) are practiced. This is to be done before marriage. There are three types of practices. There is clitoridectomy which is the removal of the clitoral hood with or without the removal of all or part of the clitoral hood. The second type is excision of the clitoris together with part or all of the labia minora (the inner vaginal lips). The last type is excision of part or all of the external Instruments and stitching of the vagina opening, leaving a very small opening, allowing for the flow of urine and menstrual blood. The girl’s legs are tied from the hip to the ankle so she remains still for about 40 days to let scar tissue form.

Some of the tribes that participate in this rite of passage are: Kisii, Masai, Kalenjin, Taita and Taueta, Meru/Embu, Kikuyu, Kamba, and Miji Kendal/Swahili. Kenya’s two largest groups in the far west, the Luos and the Lubuyas do not practice these methods."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Are you still willing to bet? There are more examples. . .  young boys being made to lay on ant hills, etc. look it up yourself if you are really curious. .  stop accusing people of quoting myths and urban legends simple because they provide info that is new to you.

Just because something is tradition does not mean it makes sense. I'm not saying this is on the same level as the case in Benin, but your argument of something being tradition, thus permissible is just not adequate. You have to give a better reason.

This debate isnt about Christianity, Islam , or Judaism,  maybe if it was I would ask them to do the same.

I'm not on a crusade. . . I'm just stating facts, and you are accusing anyone that disagrees with you of making stuff up, rather than investigate for yourself and enlighten yourself. Tradition is not a good enough reason to do things that don't make sense. . .
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Jakumo(m): 1:11pm On Jun 01, 2009
Meanwhile Nairaland's newshounds report from the ancient city of Benin that specially formed squads of Palm Fruit Police have begun felling all suspicious-looking trees found within the kingdom, and seizing all hoards of palm-fruit found in enemy hands, to be re-sold later in Lagos so as to generate funds for the prosecution of this glorious spiritual war.

In a related development, a light aircraft was shot down over Benin City at 23-hundred hours zulu time last night, and on inspection was found to be laden with enough weapons-grade RED palm-fruit to bomb the entire kingdom of Benin to kingdom come.  Ground forces with shoot-to-kill authority are as we speak scouring the area where the pilot was seen making a parachute decent, with orders to terminate him with extreme prejudice on capture.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Benin. who woke up one fine day to find themselves surrounded by deadly green acres of hostile palm trees and their satanic fruit, all bent on destroying African tradition as we know it today.  I take this opportunity to appeal to the federal government that the time has come to fire a few small nuclear warheads into the nearest palm tree plantations to Benin, just to keep the enemy on the back foot while a hasty war plan is devised by military top brass.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by asha80(m): 1:17pm On Jun 01, 2009
Jakumo:

Meanwhile Nairaland's newshounds report from the ancient city of Benin that specially formed squads of Palm Fruit Police have begun felling all suspicious-looking trees found within the kingdom, and seizing all hoards of palm-fruit found in enemy hands, to be re-sold later in Lagos so as to generate funds for the prosecution of this glorious spiritual war.

In a related development, a light aircraft was shot down over Benin City at 23-hundred hours zulu time last night, and on inspection was found to be laden with enough weapons-grade RED palm-fruit to bomb the entire kingdom of Benin to kingdom come. Ground forces with shoot-to-kill authority are as we speak scouring the area where the pilot was seen making a parachute decent, with orders to terminate him with extreme prejudice on capture.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Benin. who woke up one fine day to find themselves surrounded by deadly green acres of hostile palm trees and their satanic fruit, all bent on destroying African tradition as we know it today. I take this opportunity to appeal to the federal government that the time has come to fire a few small nuclear warheads into the nearest palm tree plantations to Benin, just to keep the enemy on the back foot while a hasty war plan is devised by military top brass.

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2009
The principle of this thread seems to be the role of the people when an age-old tradition meets modern day scientific evidence, cash potential, and interference with other people's way of life.
I disagree that it's affront to African culture, instead, it's an opportunity to update and modernize many of cultures and tradition based on ignorance.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by QuardCore(m): 1:34pm On Jun 01, 2009
@ Jakumo
Jakumo:

In a related development, a light aircraft was shot down over Benin City at 23-hundred hours zulu time last night, and on inspection was found to be laden with enough weapons-grade RED palm-fruit to bomb the entire kingdom of Benin to kingdom come.  Ground forces with shoot-to-kill authority are as we speak scouring the area where the pilot was seen making a parachute decent, with orders to terminate him with extreme prejudice on capture.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Benin. who woke up one fine day to find themselves surrounded by deadly green acres of hostile palm trees and their satanic fruit, all bent on destroying African tradition as we know it today.  I take this opportunity to appeal to the federal government that the time has come to fire a few small nuclear warheads into the nearest palm tree plantations to Benin, just to keep the enemy on the back foot while a hasty war plan is devised by military top brass.
[quote][/quote]
You dey joke over a serious matter. You think say we come here to play?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by otokx(m): 1:38pm On Jun 01, 2009
This is a shame to every Nigerian and moreso the Bini people to think that such an imagination can be concured speaks volume.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by donjon: 1:56pm On Jun 01, 2009
Men, i don laugh tire! *running back to fone section*
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 2:00pm On Jun 01, 2009
otokx:

This is a shame to every Nigerian and moreso the Bini people to think that such an imagination can be concured speaks volume.

You make another good point. How can millions of people swallow an Oba's instruction without any type of objection, complanits, or even resistance
History has told us that these royalties are also human, they do become sick just like everyone of us. King Edward became mentally deranged, because of porphyuria, and was opposed by some of his subjects, do we even have a mechanism for telling a superstitious Oba to keep abreast with modernity?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 2:04pm On Jun 01, 2009
Okokomeji, you are still full of shit, Step out of it.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Oxone(m): 2:11pm On Jun 01, 2009
Quard Core:

@ Jakumo

You dey joke over a serious matter. You think say we come here to play?

he's always doing that, cant help himself  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

naijaking1 link=topic=278029.msg3958523#msg3958523 date=1243861220:

You make another good point. How can millions of people swallow an Oba's instruction without any type of objection, complanits, or even resistance
History has told us that these royalties are also human, they do become sick just like everyone of us. King Edward became mentally deranged, because of porphyuria, and was opposed by some of his subjects, do we even have a mechanism for telling a superstitious Oba to keep abreast with modernity?

am wondering same undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 2:48pm On Jun 01, 2009
Okokomeji, If you do not know what full of shit means, then you are indeed an ape.
It means: totally unfounded, not credible, or ridiculous, usually refers to something somebody just said.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 3:11pm On Jun 01, 2009
Guys, guys, can we focus on the principles involved here?
Benin people are not the only ones with "ancient traditions" that needs to be updated. Igbos, Ijaws, Yorubas, Nupes, Tivs, etc have cultures/traditions that have been passed down from generation to generation.
These cultures, at the time they were inacted served some sort of purpose.
The problem is being able to keep up with new understanding of science. I know Igbos had cultures that were based on poor understanding of science, eg, killing of twins, superstitions about the clouds and thunder, etc. Today, we know that twins commit no evil acts, and that their existence is purely explained by science. Subsequently, I can't imagine an Igbo ruler issuing a decree to kill twins today, because "that's our tradition"
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 4:11pm On Jun 01, 2009
Gaggi:

@Osisi,

[s]Its good to know you don't have the guts to refer to me. I don't know who ogaga is, but i'll do him a favour and help reply you bitch.
That the Oba is nuts? Is that what you are saying? I'm sure your worthless father would even caution you if he hears that. [/s] Its obvious you're Ibo or Igbo, we all know they don't regard stupid elders.
[s]Everybody replied with a light hearted response till you came along. You fool, a MERE WOMAN at that.
Does being the offspring of a LovePeddler qualify you for lousiness?
You better start reading Psalms now, perhaps it will save you from the gun that will send you to your demise.

@Okokomeji or whatever,
You're as silly as your name. I read all the BS you've written. You write like a swine.
It may interst you to know your Masters (the whites) have their own superstitions. Go read about it.
Funny, your masters you're claiming saved the world brought nothing both anarchy and sorrow to Africa. Thats why imps like osisi can spew trash.
You're a victim of Neo-Colonialism. Funny, your Masters still see you as a monkey. grin[/s]

The only thing you got right was the highlighted part.
A mere woman is now your nightmare cool
Oya stop crying and be a man
ewu
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by tunku(m): 4:34pm On Jun 01, 2009
What the hell? What the hell with it? Kosovo is in L.A.? And judging by his writing he is a programmer that is spewing some of the most idiotic, intellectually bankrupt, and morally dubious defense of an idiotic tradition. These asshole points to the fact that some Western countries have monarchs: England, for example, does indeed have a monarch--with no power whatsoever. The queen cannot make decrees and expect Britons to follow them as if imbued with a mandate from heaven. No, Hundreds of years ago guys called Pitt "The younger" went to war against monarchist and established a parliamentary republic that did not suffer the flits of a mad monarch. Louis XV got his head chopped off once it became clear that the monarchy wasn't serving the interests of the people. Whatever remains of the monarchy in the west is nothing more than a vestigial figure-head, a living museum, or to put it more crudely a national mascot slightly more elevated than the likes of Mario, Sonic, and Princess Peach--to bring it to the level of  the idiot kosovo going to e3. You keep asking those who disagree with this feudal system to go to the palace and say this to the king; shouldn't the question be why are you in L.A. if you so ardently believe in the wisdom of the King? As a true-believer shouldn't you be the one prostrating yourself before the man? Or at the very least shield his eyes from the evil Palm Fruits that doth offend his highness so much. You chastise logic as the way of the Oyinbos, Logic is not the exclusive domain of any race, but I find it ironic that in living in America you are championing the elevation of monarchy above all else, you protect ignorance as culture, and label dissenters heretics. I am more than willing to let you keep throwing stones from this precariously built,or programmed glass house, when it crashes down on you I will be outside laughing.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 4:45pm On Jun 01, 2009
What is the most popular crop for the Benin people? Let's say it's cocoa. Just imagine where another closely related tribe holds that cocoa is evil and must not be displayed in the city. Do you see a clash of tribes? I do.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by donjon: 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2009
Lordy lord!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 4:56pm On Jun 01, 2009
naijaking1:

What is the most popular crop for the Benin people? Let's say it's cocoa. Just imagine where another closely related tribe holds that cocoa is evil and must not be displayed in the city. Do you see a clash of tribes? I do.
I think there is a misunderstanding here, The palace chiefs did not say that palm is evil. embarassed
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by biina: 4:58pm On Jun 01, 2009
tunku:

What the hell? What the hell with it? Kosovo is in L.A.? And judging by his writing he is a programmer that is spewing some of the most idiotic, intellectually bankrupt, and morally dubious defense of an idiotic tradition. These asshole points to the fact that some Western countries have monarchs: England, for example, does indeed have a monarch--with no power whatsoever. The queen cannot make decrees and expect Britons to follow them as if imbued with a mandate from heaven. No, Hundreds of years ago guys called Pitt "The younger" went to war against monarchist and established a parliamentary republic that did not suffer the flits of a mad monarch. Louis XV got his head chopped off once it became clear that the monarchy wasn't serving the interests of the people. Whatever remains of the monarchy in the west is nothing more than a vestigial figure-head, a living museum, or to put it more crudely a national mascot slightly more elevated than the likes of Mario, Sonic, and Princess Peach--to bring it to the level of  the idiot kosovo going to e3. You keep asking those who disagree with this feudal system to go to the palace and say this to the king; shouldn't the question be why are you in L.A. if you so ardently believe in the wisdom of the King? As a true-believer shouldn't you be the one prostrating yourself before the man? Or at the very least shield his eyes from the evil Palm Fruits that doth offend his highness so much. You chastise logic as the way of the Oyinbos, Logic is not the exclusive domain of any race, but I find it ironic that in living in America you are championing the elevation of monarchy above all else, you protect ignorance as culture, and label dissenters heretics. I am more than willing to let you keep throwing stones from this precariously built,or programmed glass house, when it crashes down on you I will be outside laughing.
Please read up Royal prerogatives before making such claims

The Royal Prerogative is a body of customary authority, privilege, and immunity, recognized in common law and, sometimes, in civil law jurisdictions possessing a monarchy as belonging to the Sovereign alone. It is the means by which some of the executive powers of government, possessed by and vested in a monarch with regard to the process of governance of their state, are carried out.

In the UK in question:
The Royal Prerogative includes the powers to appoint and dismiss ministers, regulate the civil service, issue passports, declare war, make peace, direct the actions of the military, and negotiate and ratify treaties, alliances, and international agreements (However, a treaty cannot alter the domestic laws of the United Kingdom; an Act of Parliament is necessary in such cases).
The monarch is commander in chief of the Armed Forces (the Royal Navy, the British Army, and the Royal Air Force), accredits British High Commissioners and ambassadors, and receives diplomats from foreign states. It is the prerogative of the monarch to summon, prorogue and dissolve Parliament.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 5:06pm On Jun 01, 2009
biina:

Please read up Royal prerogatives before making such claims

The Royal Prerogative is a body of customary authority, privilege, and immunity, recognized in common law and, sometimes, in civil law jurisdictions possessing a monarchy as belonging to the Sovereign alone. It is the means by which some of the executive powers of government, possessed by and vested in a monarch with regard to the process of governance of their state, are carried out.

In the UK in question:
The Royal Prerogative includes the powers to appoint and dismiss ministers, regulate the civil service, issue passports, declare war, make peace, direct the actions of the military, and negotiate and ratify treaties, alliances, and international agreements (However, a treaty cannot alter the domestic laws of the United Kingdom; an Act of Parliament is necessary in such cases).
The monarch is commander in chief of the Armed Forces (the Royal Navy, the British Army, and the Royal Air Force), accredits British High Commissioners and ambassadors, and receives diplomats from foreign states. It is the prerogative of the monarch to summon, prorogue and dissolve Parliament.

Don't mind some people here na too know, de worry them.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by tunku(m): 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2009
Biina you misguided fool, are you really trying to argue that the Monarchy in the U.k. is nothing but a figure-head? That its functions isn't merely ceremonial? Hahaha, Yeah, Lizzy is the one who decides who runs the country, the PM your mps chose is dismissed at the whims of the queen. Oh god, thanks for the laugh. You idiots really are something else. And here I thought Tony Blair/Brown  and Labour have been the ones running the U.K. for the past 12 years. Apparently its "heeellloooo" Elizabeth. Next you'll claim that the Kennedy are descendants of Arthur.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2009
beystwin:

I think there is a misunderstanding here, The palace chiefs did not say that palm is evil. embarassed
Yes, there's a misunderstanding here; on your part. Please read the whole story again. It started with a ban on displaying palm fruit, to recalling how the fruit had been believed to cause bad omen and blood letting, to advising farmers and sellers on how to handle the fruit. If you don't understand 'causing bad omen and blood letting' as evil, then I don't know what it is.

Let's not get carried away by sementics, the essence of this story is that the cultural practice of Benin people may be infact retarding agricultural production of palm fruits.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 5:19pm On Jun 01, 2009
these are key words:
The Palace of the Oba of Benin, has banned the open display of palm fruit bunches in markets

While noting that the palace is aware of the economic potentials and values of palm fruits

pick the palm-fruits from the bunches before transporting them to different locations for milling purpose of selling them to the consumers.
The Oba did not ban palm fruits in Benin.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 01, 2009
What if the palm fruits were actually banned? Would you still take sides with the Oba?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Having Visitors Without Prior Notice: Your View / Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? / The Traditional Culture Of Greeting In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.