Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,536 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! (804 Views)

Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Excited Masquerade Poses With Catholic Priest After Meeting Him On The Road.PICS / History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! by Zazee31: 12:06pm On Dec 05, 2015
Hello everyone

Please help, I'll be traveling to Nigera Delta State Ogwashi-ukwu for the first time this December to meet my husbands family (Dad, siblings 13,14 years boy and girl) and aunts and uncles etc.

I'm from South Africa I'm just scared there might be clash of cultures although I've learnt and I'm still learning how Nigerians do their thing.

What gifts are appropriate especially for my father inlaw? Do I buy for everyone like aunts and uncles and their children? What do I wear amongst them, dresses and skirts or are pants fine? Do I cover my hair/head? Do I call my father inlaw Sir or daddy? I know the greeting for him is Onowu... How do I greet elders? Do I bow or go on my knees or handshake or must I hug?

Do I try make them food? I only know stew, jollof, fried rice and not too good Nsala soup.

When visiting people's houses and I'm not familiar with the food and don't wish to eat what do I say?

Please I need as much tips as I can get in staying for a whole month I'm scared they won't like me. But my husband says I'm over thinking everything.

Thanks
Re: Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! by knightsTempler: 12:15pm On Dec 05, 2015
undecided

Make it real simple, be your real self, no pretense, no eye-service and every other will fall in place.

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! by menix(m): 12:31pm On Dec 05, 2015
Hope u sabi wash cloth with hand cous u will wash ur Inlaws cloths nd Curtains because during xmas season cloths must be washed.

Then be urself, they will understand the rest.

Remember to buy Hollandis wrapper for ur Mother In-law..

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! by CharlyNick: 12:34pm On Dec 05, 2015
There's no problem BRO......... The ONLY problem is if u don't have VIsa, Start processing one NOW cheesy
Re: Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! by politricks: 12:36pm On Dec 05, 2015
Just buy biafran flag for them and dash them biafran currency.
Re: Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 05, 2015
When you greet you can genuflect slightly, no need for hugs and handshake except offered to you then receive it.
When offered things you don't want, just smile and turn it down politely with "thank you" else you will drink ogogoro (local gin) and kolanut...
Dress normally without revealing things, you can leave your hair open... no one cares

They are very welcoming and don't expect much from you, your husband should help you with gifts for his folks don't bother your head.
If they greet or insult you in their language, just smile...

Be thinking of the mosquitoes, the large number of people that will be coming to see you on daily basics, the people that will wake u up in the morning that they came to welcome you, the walk to the stream, the staring of a foreigner...

Like your husband said "you are overthinking things" we are more welcoming to foreigners than locals

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! by makazona(m): 12:53pm On Dec 05, 2015
For the sake of clarity,its IGBO and not IBO...generally, feel free and don't form what you are not.

They expect you to make certain mistakes which they would laugh over.
So don't try to be perfect.it takes d shine off you

2 Likes

Re: Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! by Zazee31: 1:49am On Dec 06, 2015
Makazona thank you I appreciate.
Re: Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! by OPCNAIRALAND: 12:41pm On Dec 06, 2015
Zazee31:
Hello everyone

Please help, I'll be traveling to Nigera Delta State Ogwashi-ukwu for the first time this December to meet my husbands family (Dad, siblings 13,14 years boy and girl) and aunts and uncles etc.

I'm from South Africa I'm just scared there might be clash of cultures although I've learnt and I'm still learning how Nigerians do their thing.

What gifts are appropriate especially for my father inlaw? Do I buy for everyone like aunts and uncles and their children? What do I wear amongst them, dresses and skirts or are pants fine? Do I cover my hair/head? Do I call my father inlaw Sir or daddy? I know the greeting for him is Onowu... How do I greet elders? Do I bow or go on my knees or handshake or must I hug?

Do I try make them food? I only know stew, jollof, fried rice and not too good Nsala soup.

When visiting people's houses and I'm not familiar with the food and don't wish to eat what do I say?

Please I need as much tips as I can get in staying for a whole month I'm scared they won't like me. But my husband says I'm over thinking everything.

Thanks

Queen,
Clash of culture is the last thing you should be scared of grin grin. Anyway, let me shutup... lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

Ethiopian Semitic Languages / Tradition In Enugu State That Makes Any Woman Who Commits Adultery Mad / Embattled King, Dr. N. N. Kelly Okalakwu Of Igbariam Is Gone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.