Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? (872 Views)

Isiaka Adeleke Died Of Drug Overdose – Sahara Reporters / Buhari’s Ministerial Nominees Revealed- Sahara Reporters / Governor Udom Emmanuel Builds House Just 4 Months In Govt - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by Sodiq3(m): 8:34am On Dec 07, 2015
I got myself largely acquainted with Sahara reporters news agency in 2009 because of its reporting style on the health status of late president Umaru Musa Yaradua. Sahara reporters coverage and reportage of Yaradua’s illness, plus the political fracas played then was unmatched by any Nigerian news media. An Online news agency, based in New York City, Sahara reporters was founded in 2006 by Nigerian political activist, Omoyele Sowore (Wikipedia). Sahara reporters has since then become significant in reporting social issues, more importantly, their media intelligence when it comes to investigative journalism is a force to reckon with.

Hitherto as I am putting this down, I have not seen any Nigerian news organization that can stand par with Sahara Reporters when it comes to pragmatic investigative journalism’- an aspect of journalism which most news media lack in Nigeria. To be candid, I am part of Nigerians who erstwhile hauled insults on Sahara reporters whenever a report from them does not favour my political views. It came to an extent that I vowed not to believe anything from them anymore. But today, my perception of the online news medium has changed. Though, I still show some skepticism whenever I come across some of their reports. But, in whatever way you presently espy Sahara reporters, the fearless news medium deserves shower of accolades for revamping Investigative journalism in Nigeria.

As a media student, I can say I have copious knowledge on how our media organizations work. Most of them, whether Newspaper, Magazine, TV or Radio largely depend on press releases and news conferences to break information to the public. Their thirst for investigative journalism died long ago. It is indeed a show of shame on the well respected field of journalism to have reporters and editors who for known reasons find it difficult to dig up issues and get to the root of matters that affect public interest. Instead of that, our dear journalists only crave to attend press conferences where ‘’brown envelopes’’ are shared aftermath.

In today’s world, a free, aggressive, open and bold press is part of spiritual core for a sustainable democracy. This is because investigative journalism helps to inform, unleashes and reveals to us the happenings in our society. It is critical to the advancement and preservation of a country’s democratic institution. It involves exposing corruption in high places and peering into neglected corners of society. It epitomizes the popular ideal of the news media as the fourth estate of the realm playing a role as a watchdog on society and its institutions. I have heard of series of training organized for journalists in Nigeria regarding investigative reporting, but practically we have nothing to show for it. Journalism in Nigeria has turned to a trade. Journalists in Nigeria have already compromised their integrity and professionalism for monetary gains. It is indeed a digression from the ethical principles of journalism.

In a paper presented by the former president of the Nigerian Guild of editors, Alli Hakeem in 2014, titled “investigative journalism: The endangered genre’’, he said a content analysis Nigerian newspapers shows that adverts and straight stories occupied prominent displays’’. This shows that Nigerian journalists have no interest in throwing light to unanswered questions in a story. The ‘’why’’’ and ‘’How’’ has been left to citizen to find out themselves. The main reason I doff my hat for Sahara reporters.

Sahara reporters have exposed so many political ills ravaging our country which most turned out to be true. The latest expose articles written by Sahara reporters on the ‘’arms deal’’ investigation speaks a lot of its journalism tenacity. Many of its reports have made government set up investigative panels to look into the allegations and punish those found guilty, i.e EkitiGate scandal. I am not giving my 100 percent to Sahara reporters but in all emphasis, they worth the onion. Regarding Sahara reporters as the ‘”wikileaks of Africa’ is absolutely not out of place. Nevertheless, some of their reports may not be totally true. This is not unexpected in journalism since journalists get information from wide range of contacts and sources. A contact could give misleading information. It’s left for the journalist to investigate more and reach a reasonable conclusion.

The owner of Sahara reporters brought himself to limelight through in-depth investigative reporting even though some people are of the opinion that he was able to do so because he located his office out of the shores of Nigeria. With all sense of humor, I wouldn’t mind if all the news media organizations in Nigeria can relocate to abroad and bring to our forefront quality, well research and in-depth investigative reports.

However, before I put down my pen, I wish to acknowledge the doggedness of the premium Times newspaper for a job well done by creating a center for encouraging and training Nigerian journalists on the skills required for effective investigative reporting. With all due respect to all home based media organizations, you have been beaten at your own game. To me, Sahara reporters is the face of modern investigative journalism.

http://my9jafan..com.ng/2015/12/opinion-sahara-reporters-face-of-modern.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by Blizzy9ja: 8:35am On Dec 07, 2015
Face of propaganda journalism
Re: OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by Sodiq3(m): 8:54am On Dec 07, 2015
Blizzy9ja:
Face of propaganda journalism
That is what you think. Those guys are vibrant journalists. Taking journalism to the next level.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by Blizzy9ja: 9:01am On Dec 07, 2015
Sodiq3:

That is what you think. Those guys are vibrant journalists. Taking journalism to the next level.
Which level? I like their method of investigative journalism but it has more often than not been aimed at pulling people down.
Re: OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by SweetSoup(m): 10:33am On Dec 07, 2015
Blizzy9ja:
Which level? I like their method of investigative journalism but it has more often than not been aimed at pulling people down.
Yes, people who deserve to be pulled down.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by Kyase(m): 10:47am On Dec 07, 2015
Sahara reporters are equivalent to "Daily Planet"

Smallvile
Re: OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by Sodiq3(m): 12:43pm On Dec 08, 2015
SweetSoup:
Yes, people who deserve to be pulled down.
Please, tell him.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by themilanway(m): 1:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
Sahara reporters has my support any day any time.They don't know whose ox is gored and they certainly don't want to know.

Though,I disregard just 2 percent of their news,the rest,I'm willing to take to bank.

Its only bias and mischievous people who are quick to term them"Tinubu or APC propanganda tool"when the news isn't favourable to them,then jump at them once its suits and massage their over bloated egos.

The day they will lose my respect is the day they reports that I removed Zahra Buhari's tattoed name from my body tongue tongue cheesy
Re: OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by ajepako(f): 1:36pm On Dec 08, 2015
Mouthpiece of APC

Anything against APC is just to throw the masses off and make us think they are objective.

I will believe them when they unveil dirts on Tinubu, Atiku and Buhari..

Except they believe those dudes are saints from heaven
Re: OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by Sodiq3(m): 7:49pm On Dec 08, 2015
ajepako:
Mouthpiece of APC

Anything against APC is just to throw the masses off and make us think they are objective.

I will believe them when they unveil dirts on Tinubu, Atiku and Buhari..

Except they believe those dudes are saints from heaven
Same old story bro! Say something else'..
Re: OPINION: SAHARA REPORTERS- Face Of Modern Investigative Journalism? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 08, 2015
Sahara reporters is d best

(1) (Reply)

Ex-militants Vow To Resist Military Invasion Of Bayelsa State / Pictures Of The People And How Dasuki Allocated Stolen Billlions Buhari Included / Best Thing Is Pay The Military/police N20,000 Extra Monthly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.