Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,916 members, 7,824,843 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? (17125 Views)

Easiest Way To Schedule Text Messages To Send At A Later Date / With New Data Prices, The FG Wants Us To Start Sending Text Messages Again / How To Retrieve Deleted Text Messages On Android (working Method) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 07, 2015
This might sound trivial, but it's a very serious and annoying matter grin. I want to sample a wider view, thus my creating this thread.

Ever had that very busy/quiet moment when you are not disposed to pick calls, yet this person keeps calling? You take out time to send that "please send a message, in a meeting/class/busy" sms ...Hell no! He/she keeps calling_ why? ? ? angry
I know sometimes it might be an urgent issue, but I discovered most times it's not!

If you are guilty of the above, what reason can you honestly say applies to you? More than you love to admit?

Cc: Dechandel, Dygeasy, Mizmycoli, Cupidhero, Lanicky, Truckpusher, Godmother, Nickymezor, Sleekyshuga, Acharis, kilokeys, Ronald4lif, Chisco82, BreezyRita, Wristbangle, Yinkeys, Crocz,Lero15,Sammyblaq... everyone

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 07, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
[i][/i]
That's because voice calls are a bit faster in terms of getting response. Secondly sms doesn't bring that closeness compare to voice calls. For example Imagine someone bending down to greet while on fone even when the receiver isn't there which we all know to be psychological. Sms is for used when you didn't get reply from your caller, it is used when you want to share info that might be secretive and lastly it was created for the handicapped e.g deaf and dumb to assist communication.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Winna01(m): 3:59pm On Dec 07, 2015
well, i dont know about you guys but i prefer text messaging.

20 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Youngpo413: 4:05pm On Dec 07, 2015
Winna01:
well, i dont know about you guys but i prefer text messaging.
seconded

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 07, 2015
asuustrike2009:

That's because voice calls are a bit faster in terms of getting response. Secondly sms doesn't bring that closeness compare to voice calls. For example Imagine someone bending down to greet while on fone even when the receiver isn't there which we all know to be psychological. Sms is for used when you didn't get reply from your caller, it is used when you want to share info that might be secretive and lastly it was created for the handicapped e.g deaf and dumb to assist communication.
I understand the above, but when the person is indisposed_ why not drop a message? He/she would call back as at when due.

The emboldened is very funny. You have any proof?

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Sleekyshuga(f): 5:17pm On Dec 07, 2015
Growing up, I have learnt that calling a particular number twice without getting a response indicates that the receiver is busy or indisposed, and at such, a text message should follow immediately..

Why should I continue calling someone who has refused to take his/her calls at the moment, when every hand set has an 'SMS feature?'

Funnily, I barely call grin, save the matter is very critical.. Since the invent of WhatsApp and BBM, making calls have been a herculean task..

Reasons why a caller keeps calling even after the receiver sends a message:

• Matter of urgency: Yeah!! Sometimes, the urgency @ which a message should be delivered continually gives the caller an edge to call, irrespective of your been busy or not..
An example is a person you gave an invitation to your office, house etc, and along the line, you got busy.. The person, being a first timer continually needs you on the phone for a better direction.. An SMS at this point is worthless cheesy..

• Verification of an info: Most peeps continually call to verify an info, especially in a do or die affair grin.. Your been busy matters little to them until you have heard them out..

• To gossip or to report a case that was physically seen/witnessed: Gossips are better done verbally grin.. You hear peeps say, 'Babe oo.. Wait make I call you.. This tory too long to type..'

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

I understand the above, but when the person is indisposed_ why not drop a message? He/she would call back as at when due.

The emboldened is very funny. You have any proof?
That is because of the perception most Nigerians have about sms. There is the tendency that someone else will read the message before the receiver and so they prefer to call the person than text. That's not to say voices can't be tampered with,with the level of technology, things are changing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by tukurjoda2(m): 5:46pm On Dec 07, 2015
Bros not for people like me. And please somebody should recommend a sms package for me.[quote][/quote]
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by TheRealAdonye(m): 6:08pm On Dec 07, 2015
How I contact someone, Ideally.

1. Phone Call
2. Text Message
3. BBM, Whatsapp

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by augster(m): 7:27pm On Dec 07, 2015
I prefer sms
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by MizMyColi(f): 7:38pm On Dec 07, 2015
For me, there are those times when I find it so hard to reply calls, messages or even FB, tweets and NL mentions.

It will look as if someone tied 2kg blocks to my fingers.

Generally, I prefer texting.
I'm better able to convey my thoughts and emotions using that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by JoeCutie(m): 7:49pm On Dec 07, 2015
I prefer texts to every other means of communication. I could have up to 250 'conversations' with someone via text. I just love it smiley

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by XtraSmooth404: 8:29pm On Dec 07, 2015
WhatsApp and BBM can serve. Like you rightly said, SMS comes in when a faster means is needed eg, in a meeting. If you try to tell someone you're in a meeting via WhatsApp, the person might be like you got time to chat but you can't pick the call.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by lacasera14(m): 8:42pm On Dec 07, 2015
I've been pondering on this for a while. people really find it hard texting and for an introvert like me I love texting more than calls. You are in a noisy environment or the line is breaking, you text the person or tell him or her to text you they won't listen they'll keep calling. At times you'll send an important message to people esp girls instead of them replying they'll stay mute or call back and it's so annoying having your messages not replied, at a point I gave up texting Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Sammyblaq(m): 11:47pm On Dec 07, 2015
#Mobile ethics.
1. If ur call/dial get busied at the other end, stop calling at the moment or better pass the information by sms.
2. If u call up to the 3rd time and the callee never picked; pause calling or better sms the person.

I apply to the above ethics.

I prefer voice call over text messaging but it is limited at bal 0.00. So text messaging plays alternative there.

Handles took over sms... I believe sms is currently applied in time of urgency cos I don't know the last time I composed a message.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by parrotibaba(m): 11:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
I think to achieve the desired effect you want on someone. For example if someone owes you money and hasn't paid, phone calls usually delivers the threat accordingly cos when you send a text, he/she can pretend that he/she didn't receive the message and let's face it, if you are calling the person owning you money and she/he doesn't pick up after continuous calls then you know she/he is definitely dodging you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Sammyblaq(m): 12:01am On Dec 08, 2015
Why people call and call?
They are not calling with their number. They want to talk to you as possible to return the phone.
#Reason. I hardly return calls to unknown numbers.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Lero15(m): 6:40am On Dec 08, 2015
Hehe. Funny but true, really.
When I call twice and no response, especially in an urgent situation, I text you.

Shikena.

But some peeps sha. They will call tire embarassed
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by daveP(m): 8:03am On Dec 08, 2015
Sleekyshuga:
Growing up, I have learnt that calling a particular number twice without getting a response indicates that the receiver is busy or indisposed, and at such, a text message should follow immediately..

Why should I continue calling someone who has refused to take his/her calls at the moment, when every hand set has an 'SMS feature?'

Funnily, I barely call grin, save the matter is very critical.. Since the invent of WhatsApp and BBM, making calls have been a herculean task..

Reasons why a caller keeps calling even after the receiver sends a message:

• Matter of urgency: Yeah!! Sometimes, the urgency @ which a message should be delivered continually gives the caller an edge to call, irrespective of your been busy or not..
An example is a person you gave an invitation to your office, house etc, and along the line, you got busy.. The person, being a first timer continually needs you on the phone for a better direction.. An SMS at this point is worthless cheesy..

• Verification of an info: Most peeps continually call to verify an info, especially in a do or die affair grin.. Your been busy matters little to them until you have heard them out..

• To gossip or to report a case that was physically seen/witnessed: Gossips are better done verbally grin.. You hear peeps say, 'Babe oo.. Wait make I call you.. This tory too long to type..'
(watches as she explains as though on a live tv show)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Panshow(m): 8:12am On Dec 08, 2015
I prefer you send me text message than calling me.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Sleekyshuga(f): 8:36am On Dec 08, 2015
daveP:
(watches as she explains as though on a live tv show)
grin grin grin Journalism at its peak

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Elxandre(m): 9:01am On Dec 08, 2015
Factually speaking, we text alot more than we used to years back.
With too many IMs available nowadays, texting is at it's peak.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 11:07am On Dec 08, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
[i][/i]
It's very annoying.
I never do that, no matter how urgent or serious the issue may be.
All i do and expect the person to do is to resend a message to me and brief me on why he/she is calling or the urgency as the case may be.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by daveP(m): 11:34am On Dec 08, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

grin grin grin Journalism at its peak
lol

show name: Loosen Up with Jenny

Showtime: 8pm-9pm, bi-monthly

quality:....

Erm, i wasnt supposed to do this(exhales and hits head in air) Jenny how you doing? grin
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Sleekyshuga(f): 12:18pm On Dec 08, 2015
daveP:
lol

show name: Loosen Up with Jenny

Showtime: 8pm-9pm, bi-monthly

quality:....

Erm, i wasnt supposed to do this(exhales and hits head in air) Jenny how you doing? grin
Now, you ain't serious grin.. 'Keeping Up with Shuga' will do..

I am doing well.. Hope same?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 08, 2015
lacasera14:
I've been pondering on this for a while. people really find it hard texting and for an introvert like me I love texting more than calls. You are in a noisy environment or the line is breaking, you text the person or tell him or her to text you they won't listen they'll keep calling. At times you'll send an important message to people esp girls instead of them replying they'll stay mute or call back and it's so annoying having your messages not replied, at a point I gave up texting Nigerians.

The matter dey tire me. The rate at which they would be calling, like it's so urgent_ the moment you ask them to text you 'cos you're busy at the moment, they won't.
They prefer to keep calling or go mute, only to resume the calls later.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Segadem(m): 2:06pm On Dec 08, 2015
Mr. man, the primary purpose of this machine call "phone", is to make calls,and every other purpose is secondary.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by daveP(m): 2:21pm On Dec 08, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Now, you ain't serious grin.. 'Keeping Up with Shuga' will do..

I am doing well.. Hope same?
intended.

The Kardashians have that tag already, choose another tongue

good to hear. Sure im good. Harmattanic everywhere.

This your siggy... Deepthinking, inspired! grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nickymezor(f): 4:08pm On Dec 08, 2015
I rarely even call ppl except its very urgent.... I do more of text messaging.... wen I do call someone lik twice or so n d person sends a msg I follow suit... I think some ppl dont jst dig d text messaging stuff dey prefer speaking directly to u hence d numerous /¥ continuous calls... Datz ppl fr u smiley
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by lanicky(f): 4:53pm On Dec 08, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

The matter dey tire me. The rate at which they would be calling, like it's so urgent_ the moment you ask them to text you 'cos you're busy at the moment, they won't.
They prefer to keep calling or go mute, only to resume the calls later.

Like seriously, some people can be so annoying.

When a person calls repeatedly, all you need to do is to block his/her number on your phone.
You can do that by downloading a call blocking application on your mobile app store. You can unblock such person when you like.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by ritababe(f): 5:17pm On Dec 08, 2015
Because u get quick reponse from call than sms, and call is much more secure than sms.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by samsard(m): 8:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
I don't do SMS, pick my damn calls already. tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

$1.2bn Debt: New Investors Take Over 9mobile In 6 Months / OPERA Launches It's Own Free VPN. / Amazing Things You Can Do With Samsung Phone Or iPhone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.