Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,484 members, 7,840,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? (17155 Views)

Easiest Way To Schedule Text Messages To Send At A Later Date / With New Data Prices, The FG Wants Us To Start Sending Text Messages Again / How To Retrieve Deleted Text Messages On Android (working Method) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by U90INDIVERSIT(m): 12:32pm On Jun 02, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
[i][/i]

Illiteracy plays a vital role in people's lack of interest in sending sms. Social media have/has unraveled those who can't read and write in our society today

I prefer sms to calls!
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by ekmike(m): 1:30pm On Jun 02, 2016
I really don't text anymore.. neither do I engage in long chats, I prefer talking on the phone. I dont dial a number more than twice either. I expect everyone to return any missed call on their phones esp from known persons...Life is simple!
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by UuzbaGuuzba: 1:35pm On Jun 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

My angst is with folks that call from Nigeria and don't leave a voice mail sad

Are you from France or Iceland?
Over here in Nigeria, it is not our culture to leave voice mails.

The reason is because - It is not our culture. Finish.
Deal with it and be happy.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by UuzbaGuuzba: 1:43pm On Jun 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 02, 2016
Op I tell you really. Not only being busy to pick calls, but sometimes you are stressed and you feel it's stressing you more to talk on phone. At this time only text is what you want!
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by sdavirus: 1:50pm On Jun 02, 2016
Sleekyshuga:
Growing up, I have learnt that calling a particular number twice without getting a response indicates that the receiver is busy or indisposed, and at such, a text message should follow immediately..

Why should I continue calling someone who has refused to take his/her calls at the moment, when every hand set has an 'SMS feature?'

Funnily, I barely call grin, save the matter is very critical.. Since the invent of WhatsApp and BBM, making calls have been a herculean task..

Reasons why a caller keeps calling even after the receiver sends a message:

• Matter of urgency: Yeah!! Sometimes, the urgency @ which a message should be delivered continually gives the caller an edge to call, irrespective of your been busy or not..
An example is a person you gave an invitation to your office, house etc, and along the line, you got busy.. The person, being a first timer continually needs you on the phone for a better direction.. An SMS at this point is worthless cheesy..

• Verification of an info: Most peeps continually call to verify an info, especially in a do or die affair grin.. Your been busy matters little to them until you have heard them out..

• To gossip or to report a case that was physically seen/witnessed: Gossips are better done verbally grin.. You hear peeps say, 'Babe oo.. Wait make I call you.. This tory too long to type..'
. Just the way I see it
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 02, 2016
UuzbaGuuzba:

Nope. Unacceptable, they will be educated.

I've taken it as my sworn duty grin
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Sleekyshuga(f): 3:32pm On Jun 02, 2016
Femich18:

You nailed it totally...I owe you 2wraps...
Owe me 2 bundles of crispy notes jare grin..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Alezy(m): 4:02pm On Jun 02, 2016
asuustrike2009:

That's because voice calls are a bit faster in terms of getting response. Secondly sms doesn't bring that closeness compare to voice calls. For example Imagine someone bending down to greet while on fone even when the receiver isn't there which we all know to be psychological. Sms is for used when you didn't get reply from your caller, it is used when you want to share info that might be secretive and lastly it was created for the handicapped e.g deaf and dumb to assist communication.
i agree with your call aspect but I don't think sms was made for the handicapped as stated.

Sms speaks alot. There are things u can't say directly to some people when u call but will better be explained via sms.

There are people that would never take your call not because they don't wanna take it but because they are busy. or only take calls of those they know.

I believe you have met some top personality that wil tell you, don't call please, just send a text. They have too many things running at a time but with the sms there, they can always get back when free.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 02, 2016
Alezy:
i agree with your call aspect but I don't think sms was made for the handicapped as stated.

Sms speaks alot. There are things u can't say directly to some people when u call but will better be explained via sms.

There are people that would never take your call not because they don't wanna take it but because they are busy. or only take calls of those they know.

I believe you have met some top personality that wil tell you, don't call please, just send a text. They have too many things running at a time but with the sms there, they can always get back when free.
yeah. how would a deaf and dumb communicate? are they not handicapped especially in relation to communication?
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by UuzbaGuuzba: 5:04pm On Jun 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Nope. Unacceptable, they will be educated.

I've taken it as my sworn duty grin

HOW TO LEAVE VOICEMAIL IN PHONE AND CORRECTION OF OTHER NIGERIAN BACKWARDNESS - Comprehensive Primary School, Lagos.

Abi?

Start the school na. I go do gate man.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 02, 2016
iAmCharis:
Haha when I saw the thread on fb, the first thought that came to my mind was Kachisbarbie not knowing it's her thread sef. grin

what do you mean? angry
You done call me before I no pick? angry angry

EgunMogaji:

lols.
Leaving voice mails is alien to us. I don't think I know how to leave a voicemail sef.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by hartfriday(m): 5:25pm On Jun 02, 2016
from my survey 80% of those saying they prefer textmsg than call are economising there airtime, (u spend I spend) and 50% of those guys study economics

my cousin who study econs will say why buying ragolis water for 150 whn u can buy 30 pure water and put inside the ragolis bottle, that's to say u are buying the empty ragolis bottle for 120 and the water for 30

bt we all know that both water are nt of the same quality
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Damfostopper(m): 5:51pm On Jun 02, 2016
asuustrike2009:

That's because voice calls are a bit faster in terms of getting response. Secondly sms doesn't bring that closeness compare to voice calls. For example Imagine someone bending down to greet while on fone even when the receiver isn't there which we all know to be psychological. Sms is for used when you didn't get reply from your caller, it is used when you want to share info that might be secretive and lastly it was created for the handicapped e.g deaf and dumb to assist communication.
so messaging was for handicapp...... So whatsapp msgs n bbm texting r for handicapp..... U made sense up till secretive.... After secretive the next words are like a morron talking
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Maxvasia(m): 6:12pm On Jun 02, 2016
Just how many Nigerians read their text messages? In cases of emergency, u use text messaging, u r on ur own. In the western society, yes text message can work but not here in naija. U go old. tongue
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Alezy(m): 7:16pm On Jun 02, 2016
asuustrike2009:

yeah. how would a deaf and dumb communicate? are they not handicapped especially in relation to communication?
Yes they are handicapped and they will communicate via sms but it wasn't made for dem. its like saying Auto drive was made for the handicapped.

its made for all and they are beneficiaries
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by cupidhero(m): 8:45pm On Jun 02, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
[i][/i]
I don't know about girls but most men i know will still prefer to call more than 20 times than to text their fellow man. One of my close pal frowns at the idea of me texting him because he believes texting is reserved solely for his girlfriend and girlfriends. For some men is all about masculinity. Sisters,lovers and girls who are friends send more text to each other in a month than most brothers or a group of homeboys will do in a year. Texting has been romanticised beyond the extent of it being seen as something that is specifically used by LOVERS,Boy lovers or two female BFF. It also appears informal and less official for two people working in the same company. You don't seal a deal with a text or reach out to an important figure with a text message. Mails or better yet a BBM message appears more official than a text. Due to it being somehow cheap Nigerians who take everything serious will always not take you serious if you try to pass an important info through a text instead of a call. The length of the info is also a problem.....na only things like figures or person death you fit send through a text which involves socially accepted abbreviations of some English words which most people can't decode or write with so to avoid confusion SMS is seldom used.
Most people also believe you have to actually be more than a colleague or acquaintance to actually text them.
A gossip is more secure when passed through a call than a text. Some folks feel it takes much longer to compose a text so they just keep calling till their calls gets picked saving them energy and time.

More and more messages will always get ignored when delivered because you will waste half of your day doing nothing if you choose to check every messges wey dey enter your phone.....our message box nowadays na MTN,GLO,AIRTEL and Etisalat advert screen so the chances of you checking the message is quite thin.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 02, 2016
Damfostopper:
so messaging was for handicapp...... So whatsapp msgs n bbm texting r for handicapp..... U made sense up till secretive.... After secretive the next words are like a morron talking
if you don't haven't constructive criticism don't quote me
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Codyt(m): 12:12am On Jun 03, 2016
iAmCharis:
You know it's end time when Kachisbarbie spells iAmCharis as Acharis. sad

In the last 6 months, I think I've sent an sms just once and it was because I called several times but the owner of the phone didn't pick up and I needed to explain certain things to him.

If I call twice and you don't pick up, I'll wait and call back in maybe two or three hours time. Depending on the urgency. If it's not important, I won't call back. Sms is just not my thing. The only condition that'll warrant me sending an sms is if I want to communicate something important to you and you bounce my call, an sms will follow.
This is complete ignorance... I pray you will never encounter silence at an early stage in life.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Nobody: 12:16am On Jun 03, 2016
Codyt:

This is complete ignorance... I pray you will never encounter silence at an early stage in life.
What do you mean?
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Codyt(m): 12:16am On Jun 03, 2016
solasoulmusic:
Voice calls for me are a faster way to get my point across and it's also more personal and shows your value in my life texts are cool but very informal for me.

Clients I call if they request a text instead I will send ...people are different and adapting is worth it in today's business climate

Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Codyt(m): 12:28am On Jun 03, 2016
iAmCharis:
What do you mean?
Don't take me seriously.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by Winna01(m): 9:29am On Jun 07, 2016
buksaylor001:

Broke up with my fiancee because she can't reply text messages,sent her one and couldn't get a reply.I refused calling waiting for her to reply,she called and I refused picking because I want to get her used to texting but she still couldn't reply-stalemate up till now,getting to two months.She didn't reply and I refused to pick her call till she sends the text-
wow thats serious, dude tink of wat u're doing
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by donhils: 12:04pm On Jun 07, 2016
It's simple. Text msgs are boring.
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by oluwadaemilola: 1:32pm On Jun 07, 2016
i think some people don't know how to spell that is why they prefer talking
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by oluwadaemilola: 1:37pm On Jun 07, 2016
buksaylor001:

Broke up with my fiancee because she can't reply text messages,sent her one and couldn't get a reply.I refused calling waiting for her to reply,she called and I refused picking because I want to get her used to texting but she still couldn't reply-stalemate up till now,getting to two months.She didn't reply and I refused to pick her call till she sends the text-
are you sure that is the only reason why you broke up with her
Re: Why Do Most People Hate Sending Text Messages? by buksaylor001: 6:55pm On Jun 09, 2016
oluwadaemilola:
are you sure that is the only reason why you broke up with her

Yeah-that's it.she s too lazy even to type text messages.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thanks To Infinix, I Saw Davido Concert Live At 02 Arena / [Updated] All type of Phone brand & their Price in Nigeria / Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro 16mp + Snapdragon processor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.