Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law (1088 Views)

Buhari Gets Accolades At Uk House Of Lords, As Troops Nab Sect Leader / A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) / Sahara Reporters And Ben Murray-Bruce 'Fight' Over Social Media Bill(Tweets) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by uchedydy: 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
I have observed with great dismay the outburst against the social media bill as presented by the Nigerian Senate. I make bold to say that Nigerians have been misinformed on this bill.

This bill does not in any way prevent meaningful post on social media, nor does it restrict the right of expression of citizens, it only tries to REGULATE it, thus ensuring that what ever someone post is factual( thus they said for alleagtions, attach an affirdavite to it).

What we have presently is a situation where people malign, slander peoples character based on falsehood, only for the maligned to use productive time to try to redeem his/her image. A situation where a blogger just for the sake of having traffic into his blog fabricate untruth, malicious and most time defamatory post about another citizen( be it a govt official or not) is completely wrong and should be checked. This is what his law stands for. Maybe this would make sense if you imagine your picture on the social media with a caption...' Lagos based businessman/woman in hot romance with minor' and before you say jack, major blogs are carrying it. Meanwhile, its all falsehood.

Finally, before we criticize based on sentiments and misinformation, plz note that Britain and USA all have Social Media legislation in place that regulates their social media.

Plz see link for UK social media law... http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201415/ldselect/ldcomuni/37/3704.htm
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by adedayourt(m): 1:27pm On Dec 08, 2015
undecided
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by evy1(m): 1:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
Huh.
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by ernesty20(m): 1:46pm On Dec 08, 2015
What pains most of us is that apc used lies and propaganda to win elections, why are they now trynna regulate what helped them during elections? Is that not the hieght of wickedness and dictatorship?
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by uchedydy: 1:46pm On Dec 08, 2015
Hello Mod,

If u feel this is a good point as postulated, plz move to front page. Lets educate our people, its heartbreaking wen post that dnt have much impart on our intellect make front page and well articulated post lay fallow on the sections.

Cc: seun, Lalasticlala
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by uchedydy: 1:50pm On Dec 08, 2015
ernesty20:
What pains most of us is that apc used lies and propaganda to win elections, why are they now trynna regulate what helped them during elections? Is that not the hieght of wickedness and dictatorship?

Bros, I feel ur pulse, and i identify with u, but to be objective, its a worthy cause, least another party tomorrow wakes up ans decides to still use lies and propaganda to win election.

Again, think of your own right, untill these bloggers or some person post trash about you and it starts trending, thats wen you'll know that social media freedom of expression does not warrant one to malign me with falsehood.
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by nobilis: 2:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
OP, read through that link and you posted, even as long as it is, and read through a copy of the social media bill of our dear Nigerian senators and you will see how different both of them are.

So I think u are the one misinforming yourself, sir.
Or maybe you've been paid by the legislature to infiltrate the social media on their behalf.

1 Like

Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:46pm On Dec 08, 2015
ernesty20:
Are all the senators in the NASS members of APC?

1 Like

Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by uchedydy: 2:50pm On Dec 08, 2015
nobilis:
OP, read through that link and you posted, even as long as it is, and read through a copy of the social media bill of our dear Nigerian senators and you will see how different both of them are.

So I think u are the one misinforming yourself, sir.
Or maybe you've been paid by the legislature to infiltrate the social media on their behalf.

See you are resorting to mild insults, but i will excuse u on that cos u have a point coming...have u bothered to look at the Senate social media law as proposed. Tell me any thing that restricts any Nigerian from posting or tweeting, or even face booking.

Listen up now, the bill only request that for you to make an allegation, you should get an affidavit to be held responsible for your allegation. A situation where someone throws baseless allegation, lies around and expect me to react to it is wrong. How about malicious defamation going around on social media.

Again, I repeat, tell me how that law restrict a Social media user from expressing his views that are true. Am waiting !!

1 Like

Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:56pm On Dec 08, 2015
stop worrying yourself, the bill will be passed.
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 08, 2015
Seriously I will like the bill to be passed. I don't like seeing Sahara reporters the originator of false stories to keep living like kings of Nigerians...
Including the president, down to senate president, to senators,to governors, civil servants, and other group of people.
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by newbornmacho(m): 4:07pm On Dec 08, 2015
[/quote]whoever is defamed has the option of the courts. Why introduce a law that can easily compound the situation if it's even slightly misinterpreted? Besides is that piece of legislation our most urgent priority?[quote author=uchedydy post=40807987]

See you are resorting to mild insults, but i will excuse u on that cos u have a point coming...have u bothered to look at the Senate social media law as proposed. Tell me any thing that restricts any Nigerian from posting or tweeting, or even face booking.

Listen up now, the bill only request that for you to make an allegation, you should get an affidavit to be held responsible for your allegation. A situation where someone throws baseless allegation, lies around and expect me to react to it is wrong. How about malicious defamation going around on social media.

Again, I repeat, tell me how that law restrict a Social media user from expressing his views that are true. Am waiting !!
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by Farnsworth: 4:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
Regulate? that is a fancy term, for blocking free speech, especially in a place like Nigeria, any law the penalizes free speech in Nigeria, it going to end up a disaster, no matter how well intentioned it maybe...

In Turkey for instance, President Erdogan had a 14 year old boy arrested and prosecuted for criticizing the president on his Facebook page...

https://news.vice.com/article/turkey-is-prosecuting-two-kids-for-ripping-down-posters-of-president-erdogan
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by uchedydy: 4:22pm On Dec 08, 2015
Farnsworth:
Regulate? that is a fancy term, for blocking free speech, especially in a place like Nigeria, any law the penalizes free speech in Nigeria, it going to end up a disaster, no matter how well intentioned it maybe...

what do we call free speech? Insult or someone's personality? Like I said before, the problem we have in Nigeria is that people just hear things at the periphery and they run with it...there is no part of that bill that prevents citizens frpm using facebook as much as what ypu are writing about is true.

The bill says, get an affidavit if u must make an allegation just to make u responsible, so whats the big deal there if someone is sure his post is true.
The problem is that our bloggers and other social media users depend on lies to build their blogs. That is wrong and must be checked. Enof of all the 'sources said' , sources who pleaded anonymity and all.............again, have u readthe bill, the show me where it restrict freedom of speech.
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by mazzi: 4:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
For where? When the were enjoying it against jona you never came up with this trash,now the table has turned and you guys are nowreminding us of british law.kam'nukwa!
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by drss(m): 4:29pm On Dec 08, 2015
uchedydy:

I have observed with great dismay the outburst against the social media bill as presented by the Nigerian Senate. I make bold to say that Nigerians have been misinformed on this bill.

This bill does not in any way prevent meaningful post on social media, nor does it restrict the right of expression of citizens, it only tries to REGULATE it, thus ensuring that what ever someone post is factual( thus they said for alleagtions, attach an affirdavite to it).

What we have presently is a situation where people malign, slander peoples character based on falsehood, only for the maligned to use productive time to try to redeem his/her image. A situation where a blogger just for the sake of having traffic into his blog fabricate untruth, malicious and most time defamatory post about another citizen( be it a govt official or not) is completely wrong and should be checked. This is what his law stands for. Maybe this would make sense if you imagine your picture on the social media with a caption...' Lagos based businessman/woman in hot romance with minor' and before you say jack, major blogs are carrying it. Meanwhile, its all falsehood.

Finally, before we criticize based on sentiments and misinformation, plz note that Britain and USA all have Social Media legislation in place that regulates their social media.

Plz see link for UK social media law... http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201415/ldselect/ldcomuni/37/3704.htm
op is one of the liars trained by liar mohammed to misinform d public. How is d uk social media law similar to d demonic anti social media law proposed by d senate
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by uchedydy: 4:30pm On Dec 08, 2015
mazzi:
For where? When the were enjoying it against jona you never came up with this trash,now the table has turned and you guys are nowreminding us of british law.kam'nukwa!

Bros or Sis. This is not objective at all, cos sincerely, it might be your turn to have your name defamed and maligned falsely tomorrow.

Besides, I am not a party member, i dnt have a political affiliations, am only a social commentator who says tins as it is. But what is good is good...i nugo.
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by uchedydy: 4:31pm On Dec 08, 2015
drss:
op is one of the liars trained by liar mohammed to misinform d public. How is d uk social media law similar to d demonic anti social media law proposed by d senate

Can you point out one thing that makes this one demonic plz. am waiting plz.
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by Farnsworth: 4:39pm On Dec 08, 2015
uchedydy:

what do we call free speech? Insult or someone's personality? Like I said before, the problem we have in Nigeria is that people just hear things at the periphery and they run with it...there is no part of that bill that prevents citizens frpm using facebook as much as what ypu are writing about is true.

The bill says, get an affidavit if u must make an allegation just to make u responsible, so whats the big deal there if someone is sure his post is true.
The problem is that our bloggers and other social media users depend on lies to build their blogs. That is wrong and must be checked. Enof of all the 'sources said' , sources who pleaded anonymity and all.............again, have u readthe bill, the show me where it restrict freedom of speech.

Well, it is hard to get affidavit, if you are a whistleblower going against the government, don't be navie about the politics behind such moves, lawyers in bed politicians can block people from releasing evidence of fraud and corruption, in a place like Nigeria, a judge that comes across such files can contact politicians for favours as payment to block such publications... there are numerous evils that such a bill could unleash on free speech... In Turkey for instance, President Erdogan had a 14 year old boy arrested and prosecuted for criticizing the president on his Facebook page...

https://news.vice.com/article/turkey-is-prosecuting-two-kids-for-ripping-down-posters-of-president-erdogan
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by uchedydy: 4:46pm On Dec 08, 2015
Farnsworth:

Well, it is hard to get affidavit, if you are a whistleblower going against the government, don't be navie about the politics behind such moves, lawyers in bed politicians can block people from releasing evidence of fraud and corruption, in a place like Nigeria, a judge that comes across such files can contact politicians for favours as payment to block such publications... there are numerous evils that such a bill could unleash on free speech... In Turkey for instance, President Erdogan had a 14 year old boy arrested and prosecuted for criticizing the president on his Facebook page...

Nice one sir, but if you are want to post or make allegation, shouldnt you have proof ready before making allegations? Do you first write before looking for evidence? That would be putting the cart before the house.

This incesant and indiscrinate throw of allegations isnt what grows a country at all.
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by naijapips02: 4:59pm On Dec 08, 2015
lalasticlala this deserve front page.

like I've always said....freedom of information doesn't mean abuse of information.

I support the social media bill 100%.
Quote me and go to jail!
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by Farnsworth: 5:08pm On Dec 08, 2015
uchedydy:

Nice one sir, but if you are want to post or make allegation, shouldnt you have proof ready before making allegations? Do you first write before looking for evidence? That would be putting the cart before the house.

This incesant and indiscrinate throw of allegations isnt what grows a country at all.

[size=15pt]it is possible to beware of a crime with having sufficient proof... for instance, if you are the only witness to a crime, you don't have video or other evidence, just you memory to relay on, that may not be sufficient evidence for the country...

But even if you have sufficient evidence, if the judge decides to deny you the affidavit because he or she is corrupt, you'll still get to go to jail for posting it, this is especially possible in a place like Nigeria, because our public officers are easily corruptible...

The Law, I would propose to for this false attacks by Newspapers, which is obviously the problem, not social media, is that any news organisation that publishes false allegations (i.e. has passed through their editorial) should be fined by a regulatory organisation, it will encourage the Newspapers to clearly investigate claims they make, or specify when they are just speculating.[/size]
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by sheymaziggy: 5:59pm On Dec 08, 2015
If anyone is falsely accused they should go to court, that's d function of a civil court, it's a civil matter that shouldn't be linked to d criminal court .the main purpose of this bill is to shut everyone up, so they can loot with peace of mind cos who wan blow d whistle , even if evidence dey it would backfire against u at d end .
Re: Senate Social Media Bill..a Look At UK Social Media Law by nobilis: 8:49pm On Dec 08, 2015
uchedydy:

There is nothing insolent about what I said earlier.

Do you know what the Right to Freedom of Speech means??

The constitution didn't say Right to Freedom of True Speech.

The Social media laws u were referring to in the UK are actually libel laws.
If someone makes an untrue statement about someone else, the offended person sues for libel. It's as simple as that.

The social media bill in Nigeria is not even talking about libel. It is like a gag order. And everybody knows that journalism, for instance, isn't only about writing true, happening events. It is also about making speculations for the future. And naturally, such speculations might be true or false. It is all part of journalism.

And everybody in the world knows the dictum: "don't believe everything u read in a newspaper". .it is simple common sense.

I didn't insult you. I just asked you to go through the UK social media laws and compare with the nigerian version and show me just one similarity between the two of them.
And you've not been able to do that.

If they want to be so saintly as to impose a gag order on Nigerians through a crooked means, they should backdate the law because we have some records of false statements made by some of the present members of the FEC and NASS some months ago.

APC is just a gang of thieves.

(1) (Reply)

Summary Of Appeal Court Judgements On Rivers State National Assembly Elections / Picture Of Bukhari Muhammed Bello, Killed In Army/shiite Clash In Zaria / Dasukigate: Buhari Collected $300,000 Compensation From Dasuki.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.