Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,499 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing (45284 Views)

Obaseki’s Use Of Concrete Opens New Vista For Roads In Edo- Vanguard / Reps To Increase Fuel Price By N5 For Roads / I Budgeted N200 Billion For Roads Unlike Jonathan’s Paltry N18 Billion – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by realjoker(m): 3:02pm On Dec 08, 2015
*Sets Lagos-Ibadan expressway,
*Second Niger bridge as top priority

The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola (SAN), has officially unveiled his short term plans to address housing deficits, provide good roads and urgently increase power generation in the country with extra 2, 000 megawatts.
Fashola said, during his maiden press briefing in Abuja that the Lagos-Ibadan expressway which has been under construction and the second Niger Bridge are of great importance to the current administration, thus would get urgent attention.

He said year 2002 was the last time the sum of N200 billion was budgeted for road constructions in the country.

The Minister further disclosed that work would soon commence on all roads that link the 36 States of the federation, adding that major roads which had been suspended due to paucity of funds and are vital to boost social economic activities in the country would be quickly revisited.

It was Fashola’s maiden briefing since his resumption to office.

He spoke on plans to partner with the private sector and fully privatise the power sector in order for the country to witness genuine development like the telecommunication.

Part of his plans is also to immediately restore the jobs of construction workers who were laid off by local and international construction companies in the country.

His words: “The records that have been made available from previous budgets show that the last time Nigeria budgeted over N200 Billion in a year’s budget for roads was in 2002. It seems that as our income from oil prices increased over the last decade, our spending on roads decreased.

“As far as status reports go, the federal government budgeted N18.132Billion in 2015 and the Ministry of Works got N13Billion for all roads and highways in 2015, although it has contracts for 206 roads, covering over 6,000km with contract price of over N2 Trillion.”

‎However, Fashola stated that government’s ability to achieve connectivity of Inter-state roads would largely depend on capital spending in the 2016 budget.

He said it became imperative to pay contractors and get them back to work as soon as possible.

“Our short term strategy will be to start with roads that have made some progress and can be quickly completed to facilitate connectivity. We will prioritize within this strategy by choosing first the roads that connect states together and from that grouping start with those that bear the heaviest traffic.

“As at May 2015, many contractors have stopped work because of payment, and many fathers and wives employed by them have been laid off as a result.

“Some of the numbers from only four companies that were sampled, suggest that at least 5,150 workers have been laid as at March 11, 2015; and if we realize that there are at least 200 contracts pending, on the basis of 1(one) company per contract,” he said.

Analysing the unfortunate situation, Fashola explained that, “If each contractor has only 100 employees at each of the 200 contract sites, it means at least that 20,000 people who lost their jobs can return to work if the right budget is put in place and funded for contractors to get paid.

“The possibility to return those who have just lost their jobs back to work is the kind of change that we expect to see by this short term strategy.”

“In order to make the roads safer, we intend to re-claim the full width and set back of all Federal roads, representing 16% and about 36,000km of Nigeria’s road network by immediately now asking all those who are infringing on our highways, whether by parking, trading, or erection of any inappropriate structure to immediately remove, relocate or dismantle such things voluntarily. This will be the biggest contribution that citizens can offer our country as proof that we all want things to change for the better,” Fashola added.

Source:http://thenationonlineng.net/fashola-unveils-agenda-for-roads-power-and-housing/

97 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by xreal: 3:04pm On Dec 08, 2015
2016 budget has already started working.

I believe Fashola will do something positive.

229 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 08, 2015
in Fashola I trust.

#FasholaforPresident2019

162 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by OZAOEKPE(f): 3:07pm On Dec 08, 2015
WE THEY WAIT.....

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 08, 2015
Where is lalasticlala sef?

Great understanding of the left-overs of PDP and their 16 years of mis-rule. shocked

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by Jaymaxxy(m): 3:09pm On Dec 08, 2015
Loving BRF everyday.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by BIGERBOY1: 3:10pm On Dec 08, 2015
With a budget of over 6 trillion nothing is impossible. Am impressed by the government prioritising 2nd Niger bridge. Let my brothers in the east learn to be patient with this government, note roads and bridges in the northeast have been devastated by the conflict there yet the government is prioritising outstanding projects before embarking on new ones. You won't hear northeasterners crying marginalisation.

At over 70 baba has got nothing to lose he's going to jail those jailable and do the works workable. Dazzall

203 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by docadams: 3:11pm On Dec 08, 2015
Hmmmmmmm

At jeje speed we don't move backward and we ain't likely to crash.

Meanwhile, can IPODs like Sincere9gerian inform us if the Niger bridge has been completed and opened to traffic as promised by GEJ?
This is to ensure that we are not being 'hoodwinked' by Fashola and PMB is not claiming the 'glory' of another man.

If, however, the bridge is still as it was during GEJ 'glorious' era, can inSincere9gerian tell us if GEJ has gone on exile?

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 08, 2015
Did APC promise extra 2000 megawatts or total of 20,000 megawatts?

Anyway, we're waiting!

11 Likes

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by LordMecuzy(m): 3:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
E be like say Fashola wan work hard for 2023. well we all watching cos we've been used to several promises in the past...

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by alaoeri: 3:15pm On Dec 08, 2015
Fashola will surely deliver, tested & trusted. cool

90 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by jlinkd78(m): 3:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
Wishing Fashola well. U can see dat d Ipob protest has forced d FG not to abandon d 2nd Niger Bridge.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by johnie: 3:17pm On Dec 08, 2015
Good.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 08, 2015
God ll uphold u BRF. U re only hope APC has to offer

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by baralatie(m): 3:19pm On Dec 08, 2015
You better wait for the budget before you commit your self

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by forgiveness: 3:21pm On Dec 08, 2015
They should remember Aba- Uyo road, Aba - Port Harcourt road, and the rest. PL

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by sukkot: 3:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
awon ti oduduwa ni yen

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by allanphash7(m): 3:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
My mentor

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by OnankpaBa(m): 3:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
that's my man

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by IAMTHEHERO: 3:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
They are continuing the policies and projects initiated by the former administration, Goodluck Jonathan.
These include: Lagos-Ibadan expressway, 2nd Niger Bridge, full power privatization.
Nice one by Babatunde Fashola.I must commend you for the blueprint

Twale Sir!!!

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by chesterlee(m): 3:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
Only God knows how many billions he will steal this time around

BTW he doesn't sign cheques...

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by tolexy007(m): 3:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
cheesy Fasola my man, the man that dosent sign cheque

9 Likes

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by allanphash7(m): 3:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
That is biafra now
forgiveness:
They should remember Aba- Uyo road, Aba - Port Harcourt road, and the rest. PL

13 Likes

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by BRYTEstoreNG: 3:25pm On Dec 08, 2015

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by obaobirin: 3:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
Better Papa
Better Pikin

Good Analysis from BRF cool

Oya over to you wailers

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by manutdrichie(m): 3:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
He is back with propaganda again
This Fashola sef, ok continu

Lagos Ibadan Expressway was not awarded in 2002

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by ellabooz(f): 3:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by dammytosh: 3:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
Thats my man.

WAILERS wil still have something to say.

LEt me guesss oooooo

"So just road, why can't we use water to link the 36 states " grin grin grin

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by bisdam9086(m): 3:27pm On Dec 08, 2015
Baba niyennnnnnnnnn

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by Nobody: 3:27pm On Dec 08, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
Did APC promise extra 2000 megawatts or total of 20,000 megawatts?

Anyway, we're waiting!
this one is still in the business of wailing.

Campaign between candidate of party ABC and that of party DEF, both of whom are igbo men.

Campaign of party ABC's candidate

ABC

"Up ABC, up ABC, up ABCcccccccccc......my people, I can see your sufferings. I can see the things you lack which you truly suppose to have. I have come to put an end to bad governance in this state of ours. My intention is to construct an highway from east LG to the west LG so as to ease the stress you all face when travelling. This road will also open up commercial activities in the areas along the road cos I promise to build schools, hospitals, and give some of the lands to foreign investors as incentives to build industries so as to tackle employment problems....pls vote for me.

Campaign of party DEF's candidate

DEF

"My people oooooooooo, how are you all? They have come again o, the people that betrayed us. Don't vote for that other man cos he belongs to yoruba party where they eat amala and ewedu. Those people betrayed us during the war; they starved your children. Now, that short man has gone to join them. They are saying they want to give you feed. Will you eat it? Will you vote for an hausa party? We must show them by not voting them in. Let's kick against yoruba and hausa collaboration by voting me as the gofanor of this state cos that's the only way we can revenge against them. Will you vote for meeeeeeeee?

INEC Election Result

ABC: 6032 votes

DEF: 786,592 votes

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fashola Unveils Agenda For Roads, Power And Housing by masseratti: 3:29pm On Dec 08, 2015
Setting priority right is one of the best way to success.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu: ''Why I Called Nigeria A Zoo, Threaten War'' / Uzodimma Clashes With Enugu Government House Security / Isaac Fayose Donates Ibadan Hotel To Peter Obi For Political Campaigns.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.