Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,904 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

My Thoughts On Solving Nigeria's Infrastructure Challenges. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Thoughts On Solving Nigeria's Infrastructure Challenges. (616 Views)

Fed Govt Ready To Tackle Nigeria’s Infrastructure Challenge, Says Osinbajo / Yemi Osinbajo Attends Nigeria Infrastructure Summit In Houston, Texas (pics) / VP Prof Osinbajo At The Nigeria Infrastructure Houston, Texas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Thoughts On Solving Nigeria's Infrastructure Challenges. by naijaedutech: 10:17am On Dec 10, 2015
If things continue this way in Nigeria, then in 100 years from now we will continue to trail the western world in every area of development. Our population is increasing geometrically and if we continue to develop our infrastructure arithmetically then the Malthusian theorem will be our case.

A budget of N6Tr with only 30% for capital expenditure will take us nowhere.
According to Fashola, last year the FG awarded road contracts of over N2 trillion meanwhile only 13billion naira was released.
Out of Nigeria's 198,000 kms of roads, less than 20% are paved and over 65% are in bad condition Out of 40,000 megawatts of electricity required to power the nation, less than 10% (4,000 mw) is being currently generated

For us to be able to match these western countries we should be ready to take on serious sacrifices. I proffer the following solutions.
1. Government should stop sponsoring Hajj and Pilgrimage. Nigeria is a secular state and has no business spending money for these.

2. Concession all our Federal roads, contractors should be granted licenses to construct their own roads. Let them collect tolls on such roads for a specified period of time to recover their money. (Lekki Concession company a case study)

3. Only Basic education should be made FREE. The idea of FREE education for tertiary education is balderdash and not obtainable anywhere in the world (IMO STATE; a case study).

4. There's absolutely nothing wrong with borrowing money for capital projects (infrastructure) Let us borrow as much as we can to fix our infrastructure problem. It will pay in the long run.

5, Most importantly, governance should be made less attractive. There is just so much money in the hands of these guys that it makes me sick. More than 70% of our our budget is used to service the ever-growing insatiable needs of our Politicians.

You agree with these? What other solution do you have?

Let's discuss!

www.martinuwakwe.com

@lalastica

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts On Solving Nigeria's Infrastructure Challenges. by seunt4ut(m): 10:44am On Dec 10, 2015
naijaedutech:
If things continue this way in Nigeria, then in 100 years from now we will continue to trail the western world in every area of development. Our population is increasing geometrically and if we continue to develop our infrastructure arithmetically then the Malthusian theorem will be our case.

A budget of N6Tr with only 30% for capital expenditure will take us nowhere.
According to Fashola, last year the FG awarded road contracts of over N2 trillion meanwhile only 13billion naira was released.
Out of Nigeria's 198,000 kms of roads, less than 20% are paved and over 65% are in bad condition Out of 40,000 megawatts of electricity required to power the nation, less than 10% (4,000 mw) is being currently generated

For us to be able to match these western countries we should be ready to take on serious sacrifices. I proffer the following solutions.
1. Government should stop sponsoring Hajj and Pilgrimage. Nigeria is a secular state and has no business spending money for these.

2. Concession all our Federal roads, contractors should be granted licenses to construct their own roads. Let them collect tolls on such roads for a specified period of time to recover their money. (Lekki Concession company a case study)

3. Only Basic education should be made FREE. The idea of FREE education for tertiary education is balderdash and not obtainable anywhere in the world (IMO STATE; a case study).

4. There's absolutely nothing wrong with borrowing money for capital projects (infrastructure) Let us borrow as much as we can to fix our infrastructure problem. It will pay in the long run.

5, Most importantly, governance should be made less attractive. There is just so much money in the hands of these guys that it makes me sick. More than 70% of our our budget is used to service the ever-growing insatiable needs of our Politicians.

You agree with these? What other solution do you have?

Let's discuss!

www.martinuwakwe.com

@lalastica

To make this easier. I think Government should give the housing project to private sector. Where company build and sold to individuals just like in Asia. It will decongest , it will enhance security and improve basic needs such as Water, Electricity, clean Environment. What they need to do is to allocate lands for investors. We have strong land that can carry can condominium , it will save us a lot of land and materials.

(1) (Reply)

A Gift Nairalanders Will Appreciate For Newyear From Mr Seun / Factors That Will Shape Re-run Between Senator David Mark And Hon. Daniel Onje / Abacha’s Loot Balance Is $26m, £19m – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.