Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,470 members, 7,770,156 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:08 AM

Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH (24523 Views)

States’ Financial Mess Is A Ticking Time Bomb / Femi Aribisala: Buhari Is A Ticking Time Bomb With A Dangerous Agenda / Buhari Is Ticking Time Bomb By Femi Aribisala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by MizMyColi(f): 11:28pm On Dec 11, 2015
AS a new year approaches, hopes of a brighter future raised by the inauguration six months ago of President Muhammadu Buhari have gone down a notch. A report by Bloomberg that the value of quoted equities on the Nigerian Stock Exchange fell by 22 per cent between April and November coincided with yet another foreign shuttle by the President amid petrol and power shortages. At home and abroad, the message to Buhari is strident: settle down and deliver on your promise of change.

For Nigerians and the administration, time is a luxury. A presidential term is only four years and Buhari has spent a bewildering six months simply cobbling together a cabinet, during which time he has made about 15 foreign trips. Between June and now, a third round of petrol shortages is just winding down after marketers collected the latest ransom of N407 billion as subsidy, while the naira has crashed to N250 to US$1 at the parallel market, down from N185 to US$1 in April. Power supply, described as epileptic for three decades until a flawed privatisation two years ago, has become even patchier in many parts of the country.

Though the Transmission Company of Nigeria reported average generation at just 4,000 megawatts in October, problems such as sabotage of gas supply pipelines, breakdown of obsolete equipment and sheer incompetence have denied businesses and homes of power and sustained Nigeria as Africa’s largest importer of standby generators. Industrial capacity utilisation, according to the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, that stood at 59.5 per cent in June, has dipped a few percentage points, leading to further job losses in an economy grappling with a 24.1 per cent jobless rate. The National Bureau of Statistics says 1.5 million jobs were lost in the five months to November.

The government appears to be running primarily on the personality of the President, not on clearly set-out policy or an overall plan. Though important, this is not sufficient. Modern governance is built around institutions and processes, not on the integrity of a single person. It is more worrying that even after the cabinet was finally inaugurated, there has been no discernable sense of urgency or a new policy direction to concretise the administration’s promise of change. Like their principal, ministers appear tentative.

Buhari must therefore regain the momentum generated by his dramatic victory in the March presidential election that won national and international acclaim and encouraged foreign investors and governments to lean favourably once more towards Africa’s largest economy. Whereas the NSE’s All Share Index surged 12.5 per cent two days after the result was announced, the flight by portfolio investors has since resumed with about N47 billion leaving in November.

After running for the top job four times since 2003, we had expected Buhari to hit the ground running. It is time to dump his snail’s pace and get cracking. Oil prices dipped dangerously low to $37 per barrel midweek after an Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries meeting in Vienna, Austria, broke up without an agreement on production cutbacks to stem over-supply. The tentative budget proposals unfurled by the National Planning Minister, Udoma Udo-Udoma, reveal tough times ahead. The budget envisages borrowing of about N1.9 trillion and a hefty deficit. Meanwhile, government’s finances are in a bad shape, having taken severe bashings from falling oil prices and the brigandage of the departed government. Buhari should squarely face the enormous challenges at home and drop his new-found taste for foreign trips. There are some trips he should delegate to the Vice-President or ministers.

After enduring the careless, inattentive government of Goodluck Jonathan, Nigerians deserve a hands-on government. We expect Buhari and his ministers to undertake regular working visits to project sites. The President should be the chief mourner when natural or man-made disasters occur. Presidents Barack Obama and Francois Hollande will never be too busy and will promptly abort foreign trips to be on hand when terrorism or floods occur in the United States and France respectively. That is an irreducible requirement of responsible leadership.

Nigerians expect action. When Alberto Fujimori won power in Peru in 1990, inheriting a country wracked by economic crisis and armed insurgency, he immediately concretised his election slogan of “Cambio” or change into liberal economic reforms and, according to The Economist, “succeeded in restoring Peru to the global economy” witnessed in investment inflows, privatisation of state enterprises and a GDP growth rate of 13 per cent by 1994, the world’s fastest then.

Paul Kagame did not waste time when he became Rwanda’s president in 2001, but quickly initiated reforms in education, finance, and agriculture, enabling the civil war-ravaged landlocked economy to become Central Africa’s services and IT hub and Africa’s top performer in the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Index. Brazil’s Luiz Lula Da Silva similarly set to work when he became president after three attempts and before he left office, had led the South American country to become a rising economic power and dragged 20 million Brazilians out of poverty.

Buhari needs to inject such verve into his administration. Even the anti-corruption war, his major electoral asset, lacks a clear direction. Through delays and failure to start the cleansing at the judiciary, lawyers and judges are resorting to their old tricks of frustrating the trial of highly politically exposed persons.

The President should settle down in finding solutions to Nigeria’s socio-economic problems. He has enough good hands in the cabinet; he should get to work and design supply-side reforms geared towards production of goods and services that can compete globally, create jobs and reduce poverty.

http://www.punchng.com/buhari-the-clock-is-ticking/

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by dunkem21(m): 11:30pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nigeria is the best as it is now .. Buhari has salvaged and enthroned the country to envious heights ..

May the country continue with this speed and pace, Amen.

..Nobody should ban me, abeg.

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by Opinedecandid(m): 11:31pm On Dec 11, 2015
Does he know?

I doubt and really doubt if he knows.

He might have even known only his age, without knowing what Nigeria and indeed Nigerians think or want.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by baralatie(m): 11:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
smiley
God bless Nigeria

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by MizMyColi(f): 11:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
StOla

You need to come and defend Sai Baba ASAP from Punch. They are also clamoring for timely delivery of good governance

The Punch, in this objective editorial made me feel a ray of hope for Nigerian Journalism.

The gave all the punches to the right parts. The PDP of old was not spared either.

However, Buhari was worst hit.

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by dunkem21(m): 11:41pm On Dec 11, 2015
youngval1388:
pls am new here. I don't why people are rushing to comment first. will nairaland company pay anybody Dat comments first in any thread?

First to coment is just busybody and doesnt attract payment ..

..they only pay people that deactivate their account ..

12 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by MizMyColi(f): 11:41pm On Dec 11, 2015
When the writer of this piece was talking about enough good hands, I hope Amaechi the ex-governor cum world record holder of the most beautifully designed, expensive and incomplete monorail of all time wasn't among those on his mind?

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by lionness(f): 11:43pm On Dec 11, 2015
This is the bitter truth. Bubu is been extremely busy jetting around the globe. Sit at home for atleast 90 days and start putting things in order. Telling your ministers to give you weekly progress reports, and know they are earning their money. There is nothing wrong with sacking a minister if found wanting...I read in one of Steve Jobs book: 'My biggest priority in Apple is to put the best people in every department of Apple, and to ensure they know I want their BEST at every single moment!'
Baba should just stop this trips, its yeilded little or nothing. China and the US dont give a rat a$$ about us. They wont stop Bokoharam, they wont refund looted funds, they wont sell us weapons, they wont freeze corrupt politicians assets that is buttering their economy, because they dont even care about a country called Nigeria...its all up to us to fight our demons and battles.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by NwaNimo1(m): 11:44pm On Dec 11, 2015
End Time Clock . . . . .

5 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by youngval1388(m): 11:44pm On Dec 11, 2015
dunkem21:

swear it!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by dahaz(m): 11:47pm On Dec 11, 2015
I think people dont know the personality of the president.He does not rush and takes his time to plan.I urge people to go back to history and find out about the buhari ptf years.He spend his first year absolutely doing nothing.But three years after that we could see the positive effect of ptf.
Am urging nigerians to calm down.change shall come beginning from next year.but for now,we must recover the 'yams' people like dasuki ate which will be used for development

16 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by oduastates: 11:49pm On Dec 11, 2015
Portfolio investors can get out.
We need manufacturer, factories to produce what we consume,brick and mortar investors and not speculators

4 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by digoster(m): 11:53pm On Dec 11, 2015
You are a full blooded pig
adeyemi2015:
And they expect Buhari to perform miracle?
The rogue Goats had almost finished the Yams before the Farmer could return back to the Barn!
We can't blame the Farmer for the shortage of Yams in the Market, rather we should be patient with him and support him to figure out solutions to the mess caused by the Goats!

25 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by Nobody: 11:53pm On Dec 11, 2015
And they expect Buhari to perform miracle?
The rogue Goats had almost finished the Yams before the Farmer could return back to the Barn!
We can't blame the Farmer for the shortage of Yams in the Market, rather we should be patient with him and support him to figure out solutions to the mess caused by the Goats!

19 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by themilanway(m): 11:54pm On Dec 11, 2015
The Buhari I campaigned and voted for will more than deliver in less than 4yrs.

The mess left behind by the previous government is just too enormous for some to see that Nigeria under Buhari is forging a new path and pain stakingly rebuilding Nigeria from the ruins and rubbles PDP reduced it.

Quote me,I have an absolute and unshakable trust and confidence in Buhari.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by DAvIt0(m): 12:06am On Dec 12, 2015
MizMyColi:
When the writer of this piece was talking about enough good hands, I hope Amaechi the ex-governor cum world record holder of the most beautifully designed, expensive and incomplete monorail of all time wasn't among those on his mind?

C'mon, definitely hopefully not

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by digoster(m): 12:10am On Dec 12, 2015
NwaNimo1:
End Time Clock . . . . .
gerrarahere

1 Like

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by ZKOSOSO(m): 12:11am On Dec 12, 2015
It's one thing to be a dullard and it's another thing to know it. Buhari is not aware of anything ecomonic indicators or performance.
As a fulani cattle herdsman, the country is doing just fine!

Jumping up and down the world to advertise his cool, illiterate, humble and Most Honest Man in the world that he feel he is is what matter!

Afterall the battle to northernise and islamise the entire country is in full gear!

Fighting corruption is all about Dasuki and PDP infidels who have been stopping him since 2003 from been crown the Sultan of Nigeria!

We yet to feel the effect of his anointed ministers who themselves are yet to believe that Buhari could select them at all.
Capturing Rivers, Bayelsa, akwa-Ibom and Taraba is far more important than good governance. Afterall nearly all the judges of the appeal court are fulanis. So going after PDP govs, PDP senators and Rep's is made easy with nullification of everything PDP courtesy of Muslim judges of Norther extraction.

Naija don suffer!! Thank God I never did and will never Vote for Buhari....

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 12, 2015
digoster:
You are a full blooded pig

You've just said it all about yourself! If you ain't matured to comment or counter-comment without cursing or abusing then it's left for Lalasticlala, Myndd44 or any available Mod to do the needful with your moniker!
Thanks!

BTW: it's so funny you opened your account on the 10th of this Month and first thing you learned on Nairaland is to curse or abuse?!
SMH for U!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by porka: 12:32am On Dec 12, 2015
Shouldn't Buhari have been made the EFCC Chairman instead?

It seems that's the only thing he actually wanted to do.

12 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by vladimiros: 12:44am On Dec 12, 2015
dahaz:
I think people dont know the personality of the president.He does not rush and takes his time to plan.I urge people to go back to history and find out about the buhari ptf years.He spend his first year absolutely doing nothing.But three years after that we could see the positive effect of ptf.
Am urging nigerians to calm down.change shall come beginning from next year.but for now,we must recover the 'yams' people like dasuki ate which will be used for development

[size=14pt]the same PTF that had $2 Billion missing under Buhari

you people ehn
[/size]

28 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by chinchum(m): 12:45am On Dec 12, 2015
Nigeria is in tough times, it is a mono economy that is primarily oil based, oil is now 35usd/barrel,we are in oil doom, a lot of things will suffer, and i predict that the next 6 months we will still face challenging and tough period. That some people choose to gloat over the situation and attribute the current crisis as to because Buhari won at the presidential polls is the highest unit of pseudo intelligence. The current govt will strive to manage this trying times, and if it does it well, which i believe it will, the next 6-9 months, we will gradually get out of the quagmire.

The previous govt had all the opportunity to make a whole lot of difference in an oil boom, but it flunked, it is now in the past. The 2016 budget , the first of this new govt is on its way, the ministers are less than 30 days, but they are showing quite promising signs.

Woe betides any one who wants this current govt to fail, because GEJ lost at the polls angry angry

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by nnachukz(m): 12:50am On Dec 12, 2015
dunkem21:

grin grin grin pay people that deactivate their account? kai my brother you bad gan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by nnachukz(m): 12:56am On Dec 12, 2015
Is the writer not in Nigeria or what? They said we are better of now than before. That he has performed beyond expectations. They writer must be a wailer according to Buhari's zombies.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by TimeManager(m): 1:15am On Dec 12, 2015
I WAIL FOR WAILERS!
Government's Fiances Are In Bad Shape Having Taken Severe Bashings From OIL PRICES And The BRIGANDAGE Of The DEPARTED GOVERNMENT- Let This Sink In!
Pdp Had Been Able To Internalise Us With Their Insanity Thereby Making "Doing It Right" Alien To Us. The Countries The OP Mentioned From Peru To Rwanda, No One Inherited TERRORISM From The Previous Ones, A Major Challenge He Failed To Factor in, Thereby Using Words Such As "IMMEDIATELY" And "QUICKLY" Loosely. What More Can Brighten Our Hope Than To See The Security Agencies Strengthened, Judiciary Empowered, TSA Implemented, Revenue-generating Agencies Sanitized. The Foundation Hitherto Set, Let The Buildups Begin. Naysayers Want CHANGE To Be Sudden But Fortunately Or Unfortunately, CHANGE Cannot Be SUDDEN But SYSTEMATIC. CHANGE IS HERE, CHANGE IS HOME.
The Truth Has Spoken!

8 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by 1wolex85: 1:20am On Dec 12, 2015
Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by Blackfire(m): 1:46am On Dec 12, 2015
Kneels down to pray again.
Sango abeg wake ya brother amadioha, make una call una cousin, zeus... I get one request anybody or bodies wey campaign or voted for this change/Apc/buhari, but e come be say he/she/they dont they complain, i take devil beg una, make una use thunder with Russia pump action fire that person or persons..... U can send mamiwater or alusi okija to confirm.... And everybody say....

4 Likes

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by appini: 3:46am On Dec 12, 2015
MizMyColi:

I now understands why Amaechi was appointed the minister of transport. I can't stop laughing!!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH by ObiOkpor(m): 5:30am On Dec 12, 2015
Our democracy don mature. If he refuse to perform optimally as expected,come 2019, we will boot him out using the ballot paper.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Nairalander And His Fellow Apc Comrades Already Celebrating Obaseki Victory / Appeal Court To Deliver Judgement On Osun Governorship Election Tomorrow / Edo 2020: Emmanuel Agbaje Dumps Obaseki For Ize-Iyamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.