Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,942 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:15 PM

Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' (1126 Views)

Korean Lady Known As Mama Adaobi Having A Great Time In Her Husband’s Village / 'Doctors Told My Wife She Can't Conceive A Baby But Look At Us Now'. Photos / Why Do Women Shave Their Baby's First Hair. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' by Asapdenny: 9:19pm On Dec 12, 2015

When your baby first utters the word “mama” your heart melts. You feel so proud and happy all at the same time. Yet, why do babies all over the world say the word for ‘mum’ or ‘dad’ as their first word?
Scientists now think they have the answer.

Repetitious words

Each culture has created easily pronounceable words for mother and father and the repeated nature of this words make them easy for children to pronounce.

According to a research published in the Journal PNAS. Researchers took brain scans of 22 newborn (2-3 days old). While they listened to a recording of words ending with repeating syllables such as ‘mubaba’ and ‘penana’ or had different ending such as ‘cubage’ or ‘penaku’. When the babies heard the words with repeating syllables their brain activity increased in the temporal and left frontal areas. The other words sparked no response whatsoever.

The researchers say this suggest that ‘mama’ and ‘dada’ are words which are chosen over time to teach a baby to learn how to speak. It also points to humans’ ability to easily recognise repetitive sounds, and this is evident in languages worldwide.
Re: Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' by ladycomfort(f): 9:21pm On Dec 12, 2015
Have always wondered too?
Re: Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' by AyeeIdris(f): 12:03am On Dec 13, 2015
My baby 's first words were no no no no......

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' by twosquare(m): 10:38am On Dec 13, 2015
AyeeIdris:
My baby 's first words were no no no no......
lol... Perhaps you were cheating the angel of his/her choicest breast milk.... Sharp guy... No no no, mum... I won't take that.... grin
Re: Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 13, 2015
Not always. Their first words are usually the ones they hear most.

1 Like

Re: Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' by Haywhymido(m): 6:38pm On Dec 13, 2015
Joavid:
Not always. Their first words are usually the ones they hear most.

u rite jare
Re: Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' by Lolaabokoku(f): 10:13pm On Dec 13, 2015
Exactly ... Lol mama and dada
Re: Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' by bolseas(f): 8:18am On Dec 14, 2015
My baby screamed Baaba Once! Afterwards, it has been Taati I.e Daady.

I have never heard him say mama Abi mumy... he is a year plus o.

Though his first word was Kaa..... I.e. Kai. When we want him to stop doing something that is wrong, we shout Kai!
Re: Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' by PresVA: 8:42am On Dec 14, 2015
Not always true... my cousin's first words were 'UP NEPA'.. it wasn't coherent but we could understand what she was saying.. she was just jumping with her brother saying uuuppp neeppaaa grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Important Advice For Intending Couples / Are Some Nigerian Men Responsible For Their Woes With Ladies? / The Ultimate Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.