Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,068 members, 7,828,782 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain (723 Views)

Pension Scam: I Made $544,000 Selling Pure Water — Defendant / Adesola Amosun Proposes Plea Bargain / Stolen Funds: No Plea Bargain — FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by MrDavidson: 7:29pm On Dec 14, 2015
Justice Abubakar Talba of the Federal Capital Territory High Court, Gudu, Abuja, on Monday, December 14, 2015, warned counsel to the accused persons in the ongoing trial of a syndicate that allegedly swindled the Federal Government to the tune of N1.2 billion in a pension scam not to broach the idea of plea bargain in his court.

The accused persons-Ibrahim Ahmed Mazangari, Muhammed Sani Sulaiman, Hajia Fatima Mazangari and Saleh Yerima Tsojon- are being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on a 29-count charge bordering on conspiracy and collecting by false pretense.
The accused persons, who were offered a biometric contract by a former Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Steve Oronsaye, to regularize names of pensioners on the pensions’ payroll, allegedly smuggled in names of fake pensioners and collected unearned pension.
Counsel to the first and fifth accused persons, Sale Sule, had informed the court that his clients had opened a plea bargain discussion with the prosecution.
However, Justice Talba forbade him from broaching the subject of plea bargain in his court, saying, “Don’t mention plea bargain here. I don’t want to hear about it.’’
At the resumed hearing today, counsel to the second accused person, Haruna Eze, pleaded that the case be stood down, as the lead counsel, Sule, had not yet arrived the court before the proceedings started.
Also, counsel to the third accused person wrote a letter to the court, saying that he was ill.
However, prosecution counsel, Atolagbe, told the court that “I just received the letter, asking for adjournment. Given the nature of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, Section 396 (3) and (4), which stipulates speedy trial in any criminal matter, I urge my Lord to adjourn the matter to tomorrow because our witnesses are available. Also, on the issue of stand down, I don’t see it as necessary.’’
Justice Talba adjourned the matter to February, 23 and 24, 2016 for continuation of trial.

www.saharareporters.com/2015/12/14/n12bn-pension-scam-court-kicks-against-plea-bargain
Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by HungerBAD: 7:29pm On Dec 14, 2015
wow.

1 Like

Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by oluwazino(m): 7:33pm On Dec 14, 2015
Hummmm getting more interesting we dey watch
Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by BCISLTD007: 7:34pm On Dec 14, 2015
Ok ooo
Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by Naijacitizen(m): 7:35pm On Dec 14, 2015
And who said the "Change" haven't begun?

2 Likes

Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by Nobody: 7:39pm On Dec 14, 2015
Last Days best 9ja action film ever!
Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by omokab: 7:45pm On Dec 14, 2015
Prison straight. Awon ole oloriburuku. I have working for almost ten years now,I have not seen one naira in my pension account. No go better for for all nna wey no wan me get my pension,especially that their oga stephen orosanole

2 Likes

Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by theV0ice: 7:45pm On Dec 14, 2015
Very Good indeed!!
Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by omokab: 7:46pm On Dec 14, 2015
Prison straight. Awon ole oloriburuku. I have been working for almost ten years now,I have not seen one naira in my pension account. No go better for for all nna wey no wan me get my pension,especially that their oga stephen orosanole

1 Like

Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by Okanokan(m): 8:02pm On Dec 14, 2015
Thank you Justice Talba!

1 Like

Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by oduastates: 8:04pm On Dec 14, 2015
Give that judge a bottle of Fanta
Prison and strip him of every traceable properties.
Also give him a life ban from ever holding public office
Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 14, 2015
Nigerian Judiciary rising up to the occasion since the last time PMB was Head of State
Re: N1.2bn Pension Scam: Court Kicks Against Plea Bargain by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 14, 2015
Nigeria Judiciary rising up to the occasion since the last time PMB was Head of State

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Joins Islamic Alliance To Fight Terrorism / Inconclusive! / Oil Prices To Stabilize At $40-$50/bbl By Mid-2016: Lukoil CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.