Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. (3873 Views)

Kendra Jumbo: First Class ABSU Med. Lab. Science Best Graduating Student (Photos / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech / Is Leaving Med School At 26 Too Late? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by RexKexMilann: 9:38am On Dec 15, 2015
Television loves medical shows. Between ER, Grey’s Anatomy, Scrubs, and whatever Mindy Kaling is doing now, you can’t change the channel without seeing two
doctors bang it out in the on-call room or make witty banter about a patient with a light bulb stuck up his ass.

You know what no one makes TV shows about? Medical school. You’d think that a bunch of smart fresh out of college future docs would make for a great Netflix binge, but there’s a reason this hasn’t happened yet. It’s because med school sucks.

Being a doctor is awesome, but everyone seems to ignore the path to getting there. This is probably for the best, because there’s a lot about med school that no one tells you until it’s too late:

1. It’s more like high school than college:

An average med school class has roughly 150 students, so chances are everyone is going to know everything about everybody. Spending almost every day with these people in a high stress environment is a recipe for disaster. By the end of first year, the web of hookups and breakups is so complicated you need a professional cartographer to actually map it out. It’s like band camp, except with fewer flutes.

2. You lose the ability to communicate like a normal human:

Don’t get me wrong, med students love totalk about med school. This is more a function of necessity than passion. We actually have nothing else to talk about. It
also doesn’t help that the majority of words I use in conversation now are ones I’ve learned in the last two years. I’m not antisocial, it’s just that if we had a
conversation, I would have absolutely nothing non-medical to contribute. Along the same lines…

3. Your idea of a typical conversation is actually horrifying:

When every day consists of learning about what can happen to human bodies, it’s easy to forget that most people are perfectly content with an “ignorance is bliss” approach to disease and dying. You might think there’s nothing strange about sitting in the hospital cafeteria telling other med students exactly how far you watched blood spray in the ER this morning, but now the nice family at the table next to you is about to have an uncomfortable conversation with their two young children explaining what the word “exsanguinate” means.

4. It’s difficult to meet people outside of school:

Women are attracted to doctors. In their eyes, being a doctor equates to having money, prestige, and great genetics. In reality, being a med student equates to
having crippling student loan debt and little to no free time, neither of which are panty- droppers. If you’re a girl in med school, there’s a 98% chance that you’re more successful and intelligent than the guy buying you drinks, so have fun dealing with his bruised ego.

5. It takes a long time before you actually know things:

I’ll let you know as soon as someone asks me a question I can answer off the top of my head. Usually I just stand there doing my best Eli Manning impression, hoping if I stand still long enough they’ll forget what they asked me and go away.

6. You only have a 50% chance of being above average:

Technically this is true about everything in life, but if you’re smart enough to get into med school, chances are this statistic has never applied to you before. In med school, everyone is smart. Really smart. Also, no
one who gets accepted is used to not being the best at whatever they do, which leads us into…

7. Asking for help is admitting weakness:

No one likes admitting they need help, much less asking for it. Add this to the fact that anyone who can help already views you as competition and the situation starts to look worse. No one wants to be the Peeta Mellark of med school, so most of the time we just shut up and pray that Wikipedia will save the day one more time.

8. Your friends grow up around you:

By now, all your friends have adult jobs with real paychecks and you’re still paying (out the ass) to be in school. While your friends are realizing all the fun things they can do with their new income, you’re in roughly the same financial position as your freshman year of high school. Pledge class trip to Vegas? Sure, I’ll just gamble away my loan money. That sounds like an awesome idea.

9. Everyone will ask you for medical advice:

In the three months between graduating college and starting med school, the way people perceive you will change dramatically. The moment you put on that white coat everyone seems to forget you’re the same asshole who got into a drunken Twitter fight with a bar owner on a Monday night and instead start asking for
your advice. They have absolutely no clue what a terrible idea that is. While you can certainly impress bore friends and family with your mediocre understanding of biochem and physiology after first semester, the truth is you have no idea whether the
rash Uncle Randy is trying to show you in the bathroom after Christmas dinner is just dry skin or something he picked up on one of his “business trips” to Thailand. Go see a real doctor, you pervert.

10. Bullshitting your way through things won’t cut it anymore:

It doesn’t mean anything if you can cram well enough to pass an exam, because the knowledge you just regurgitated onto a Scantron sheet may be the difference between someone living or dying. Let that soak in for a minute. Considering I’ve seen a significant portion of my future doctor classmates vomit in public, this is terrifying.

Lalasticlala ……..undecided

The truth is, if there were anything you’d rather be than a doctor, you wouldn’t put yourself through four years of this. As for me, I’m sticking it out and hoping that giving up the good part of my twenties will pay off later as a really kickass retirement.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 15, 2015
So you're in medical school? I thought it was six years
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Theyveedo(m): 10:00am On Dec 15, 2015
X
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by RexKexMilann: 10:05am On Dec 15, 2015
Crystal5:
So you're in medical school? I thought it was six years
4 Years for Most western Schools + 4 years in a Pre-clinical Course & 6-7-8 Years for Nigerian Schools.
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 15, 2015
RexKexMilann:
4 Years for Most western Schools + 4 years in a Pre-clinical Course & 6-7-8 Years for Nigerian Schools.
You're not in Nigeria?
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by lalasticlala(m): 10:17am On Dec 15, 2015
RexKexMilann:

OP are u the writer?
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by RexKexMilann: 10:23am On Dec 15, 2015
Crystal5:
You're not in Nigeria?
Am in Nigeria.
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by MedicalSamwise(m): 10:25am On Dec 15, 2015
Tested and confirmedsad
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by RexKexMilann: 10:26am On Dec 15, 2015
lalasticlala:

OP are u the writer?
No Sir.
Kindly help insert the link, Couldn't do that undecided.
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by RexKexMilann: 10:26am On Dec 15, 2015
lalasticlala:

OP are u the writer?
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Omotayor123(f): 10:45am On Dec 15, 2015
Hmmm Nice write up!
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by damton(m): 10:50am On Dec 15, 2015
Na wa o.

so much for learning a profession.

kudos to the medical Doctors around
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by ishiamu(m): 10:52am On Dec 15, 2015
Okay
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Aminat508(f): 10:53am On Dec 15, 2015
Okay
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Emodeee: 11:12am On Dec 15, 2015
Lalasticlala don CUMment, this thread go make front page.
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by uzeba(m): 11:24am On Dec 15, 2015
If 5 seconds of smile can make a photograph more beautiful then just imagine, if you keep always smiling, how beautiful your life will be.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Richiy(f): 11:39am On Dec 15, 2015
Nothing good comes easy smiley smiley smiley

One day at a time smiley smiley

Btw, expect an avalanche of pms for this article tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Ray360: 11:44am On Dec 15, 2015
Indeed! the zeal to become a medical doctor is one that had burgeoned from childhood for some people, so much pride comes with behind a medical doyen. The game is worth the candle.
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by KingTom(m): 12:40pm On Dec 15, 2015
Brilliant article, although in Nigeria its an entirely different kettle of fish. wink
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Chrisx1x(m): 1:19pm On Dec 15, 2015
If this thread is to make front page,then u must include d links
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by RexKexMilann: 5:38pm On Dec 15, 2015
Richiy:
Nothing good comes easysmiley smiley smiley

One day at a time smiley smiley

Btw, expect an avalanche of pms for this article tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Lol.

True @ Bolded.

Kindly CYMundecided
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Lipzlikeshugar(f): 8:12pm On Dec 15, 2015
No 9 : so so true,
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Michellla(f): 8:53pm On Dec 15, 2015
so much competition.thats so true
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Michellla(f): 8:56pm On Dec 15, 2015
Ray360:
Indeed! the zeal to become a medical doctor is one that had burgeoned from childhood for some people, so much pride comes with behind a medical doyen. The game is worth the candle.
so its about pride and not about helping people?
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by SurefireAsoOke: 9:28pm On Dec 15, 2015
Since they don't graduate bein jobless

For AsoOke, Check my Signature
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Lagusta(m): 10:13pm On Dec 15, 2015
KingTom:
Brilliant article, although in Nigeria its an entirely different kettle of fish. wink

it's the same all over bro....
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Ray360: 7:53am On Dec 16, 2015
Michellla:

so its about pride and not about helping people?
I did not say that. as a matter of fact, helping people is the most virtuous pride. the medical field encompasses that.
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Michellla(f): 10:49am On Dec 16, 2015
Ray360:

I did not say that. as a matter of fact, helping people is the most virtuous pride. the medical field encompasses that.
much better
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 16, 2015
The article is based on medical school experience in foreign country. In Nigerian medical school it's entirely different.
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Ray360: 7:57pm On Dec 16, 2015
Michellla:
much better
aye!
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Ssathugit: 10:10pm On May 15, 2021
I'm looking for a tutor for my child. He dreams of going to medical school but he has no knowledge base
Re: 10 Things No One Tells You About Med School. by Heyllle(m): 10:16pm On May 18, 2021
If you are looking for a tutoring service with a focus on the medical base, then I would suggest that http://medicmind.co.uk/ one of the best. The reason is that they teach in small batches, which makes it easier for students to keep track of each class. And there is also the opportunity to create a training scheme yourself

(1) (Reply)

The Role Of Philosophy In International Relations / University Of Ibadan Executive MBA Programme / How Can I Reprint My Jamb Slip Without Going To The Cafe Please?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.