Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Ghanaian Recipe: Okro Stew - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Ghanaian Recipe: Okro Stew (869 Views)

Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! / Apostle JD Kosita-Madu Prepares Okro Soup With N500 In Port Harcourt / Ghanaian Recipe: Okro Stew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ghanaian Recipe: Okro Stew by ellatohsure(f): 3:52pm On Dec 15, 2015
Living in Ghana for over a year now has made me not only love the country but also love the food. Okro stew and banku is a favorite meal of mine, a week does not pass by without me eating it. Okro stew is made with palm oil, pepper, okro, tomatoes and onions.

Okro stew is a favorite dish in the Greater Accra region but you can find this dish in almost all areas in Ghana. You can make Okro stew with goat meat, beef, pork, fish or any other meat of your choice. Follow these steps below to prepare your delicious okro stew.

Ingredients
Fish
Chopped okro
One can of tomato puree (tin tomato) or 4 medium fresh tomatoes
1 large onion
½ tsp ground hot pepper
3/4 cup Palm Oil
Maggi

Procedure

Heat the Palm oil in a pot.

Add the chopped onions and fry until they are soft and begin to turn brown (this should take about a minute or two).

Add the pepper and wait 5 seconds and then add the tomatoes.Let it cook until the liquid evaporates.

When you begin to see the palm oil rising to the top, you may add the fish or your meat of choice to the pot.

In a separate pot, put the chopped okro.
Add about 1 ½ to 2 cups of water and a ½ of teaspoon of baking soda and let it come to a boil.

Stir frequently until it gets really thick and slimy. The reason for the baking soda is to get the okra thick and slimier.

Add the okro to the pot of tomatoes and stir until everything is mixed together.

Lower the fire and leave to simmer for about 1 – 3 minutes.

Your okro stew is ready. Serve with Nigerian fufu or banku.

I hope you get to try this out.

(1) (Reply)

How To Drink Cassava Flour (garri) Without Catching Lassa! / Awesome Health Benefits Of Eating Avocado Pear / ........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.