Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,601 members, 7,827,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Fraud: British Judge Frozes N17 Billion Meant For Etete - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fraud: British Judge Frozes N17 Billion Meant For Etete (702 Views)

Reps Summon Adeosun Over N17 Billion ‘office Equipment’ Contract Scam / Nigeria To Withdraw OPL245 From Malabu And Dan Etete / $1.1b Fraud: British Judge Questions GEJ's Integrity, Stops Etete From Getting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Fraud: British Judge Frozes N17 Billion Meant For Etete by MRSPEAKER1(m): 7:55pm On Dec 15, 2015
Justice Edis of Southwark Crown Court on Tuesday refused to release $85 million (N17 billion) to Malabu, a fraudulent company controlled by Nigeria’s former petroleum minister, Dan Etete.

According to a British judge, the Southwark Crown Court had failed to follow proper procedures in securing the freezing. Justice Edis said he was not sure the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan acted in Nigeria’s interest when it approved the transfer of the money to Malabu.

“That investigation is not complete (and appears to be still at quite an early stage). Precisely because I cannot reach firm factual conclusions, I cannot simply assume that the FGN which was in power in 2011 and subsequently until 2015 rigorously defended the public interest of the people of Nigeria in all respects,” the judge said.

Earlier, the Jonathan administration controversially approved the transfer of $1.092 billion from Nigeria’s JP Morgan account in London to Nigerian accounts controlled by Malabu.

The former attorney general of the federation, Mohammed Adoke, and the former minister of state for finance, Yerima Ngama, signed the documents approving the transfer to Malabu.

The money was paid by global oil giants, Shell and ENi, for Africa’s richest oil bloc, OPL 245.

Antonio Tricarico of Re:Common said: “$85 million paid by Eni and Shell for the benefit of Dan Etete’s company Malabu remains frozen in London. The time has come that Eni and Shell come clean about what they knew about this deal and who else this money was intended for.”

The fraudulent deal, shaded in various layers of corruption, has been condemned by Nigerians and international transparency advocates and is being investigated by authorities in four different countries. Details on Premium Times.

1 Share

Re: Fraud: British Judge Frozes N17 Billion Meant For Etete by MRSPEAKER1(m): 7:56pm On Dec 15, 2015
Re: Fraud: British Judge Frozes N17 Billion Meant For Etete by evy1(m): 7:57pm On Dec 15, 2015
huh
Re: Fraud: British Judge Frozes N17 Billion Meant For Etete by iamodenigbo1(m): 7:59pm On Dec 15, 2015
OK
Re: Fraud: British Judge Frozes N17 Billion Meant For Etete by Abduljohn(m): 8:01pm On Dec 15, 2015
I am getting tired of this daily revelations yet economy is not improving
Re: Fraud: British Judge Frozes N17 Billion Meant For Etete by MRSPEAKER1(m): 8:16pm On Dec 15, 2015
Abduljohn:
I am getting tired of this daily revelations yet economy is not improving

you took the words from my mouth.....bro undecided
Re: Fraud: British Judge Frozes N17 Billion Meant For Etete by Mynd44: 8:33pm On Dec 15, 2015

(1)

Nigerian Troops Killed In Boko Haram Ambush In Borno / No One Dare To Burn The Sacred Symbol Of The Super Power , Even In Anger! / James Faleke Is In Big Trouble – Olufemi Aduwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.