Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,628 members, 7,816,588 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? - Investment (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? (122745 Views)

3 Easy Ways To Survive The Present Financial Meltdown In The Nigerian Economy / Beware Of Wonder Banks, CBN Warns / The Meltdown Of The Nigerian Capital Market: Causes And Consequences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Jarus(m): 9:06am On Jun 22, 2009
I dnt know when u were at Ife, whether u had the oppurtunity to lead people,at political/faculty/deptal levels.Pple will always throw careless comments around.My 5yrs at U.I were spent being a president of XYZ association or the other,develop a thick skin and like a friend of mine that finished from Ife will say

Much as this is not a prerequisite for getting jobs, it could be of great help in interview process that greatly emphasizes PAST TEAMWORK EXPERIENCE like Mobil's and Shell's.
I was also quite active in all those stuffs while in school, from departmental to religious to NGO level, but I dared not move near campus politics(Ife campus politics was not for the feeble minded like me grin )

But the one I prefer to quote is my being pioneer member and later President/Team leader of Students in Free Enterprise(SIFE), OAU chapter.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by BummieAji: 9:23am On Jun 22, 2009
Jarus, so u were a member of SIFE, u guys are doing a great job. Pls i would like to speak with you as soon as posible. let me know aw that can be possible.
Awaiting your reply
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Jarus(m): 9:24am On Jun 22, 2009
@Bummie,
See my PM.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by BummieAji: 9:44am On Jun 22, 2009
Finished from Ife too, wrote vetica capital management interview and would be going for the test tomorrow, can u please enlighten me on the likely questions that i can be faced with.
thanks
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by seunallday: 11:26am On Jun 22, 2009
@ T-cann, well said, just heard about the BGL/Savannah bank thingie , dont have much info on it.

@ Jarus, neva went to ife, dont know u from adam so i tink u should listen to me, no mind dem jop, just do ur thing, u bring value to a lot of pples lives sharing wat u know, there is not pompous about flauntin genuine knowlegde, nice one one the test formats.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Jarus(m): 11:37am On Jun 22, 2009
Bummie Aji:

Finished from Ife too, wrote vetica capital management interview and would be going for the test tomorrow, can u please enlighten me on the likely questions that i can be faced with.
thanks
Interview before test? When did they start that? Test normally comes before interview now?
In any case see my PM.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by BummieAji: 11:58am On Jun 22, 2009
Hello,
wanted to write that i have written the test and would be going for the interview tomorrow. Can u give me any hint on the interview?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by BummieAji: 12:05pm On Jun 22, 2009
yea, i have written the test and i have been called for interview
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 12:30pm On Jun 22, 2009
@jarus.
i was asking u about political involvements way back at the Uni, just to prove a point-Develop a thick skin to critics comment.political 'erepa' at shl may have taught u some precious lessons on critics ignoring techniques

tkb417:

ol boi, forget it
even if we didnt meet while in school. David and Banwo ur fellow First class people grin told me about u
ure what Dbanj called ogbona feli feli grin
ride on brother, the sky is the limit
nothn do you

What more can we say?
, and lest i 4get,ogbona feli feli is the yoruba translation of 'genius' , grin grin, so u cant afford to be bias towards me, allowing some pple to call u somthing while u marginalise 'our' genius prefix, so your request's denied in the interest of fairness. wink grin

What's ur PM and i 4got to include my IM addy d other time- teecannrecruiting@yahoo.com
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 12:56pm On Jun 22, 2009
Bummie Aji:

Hello,
wanted to write that i have written the test and would be going for the interview tomorrow. Can u give me any hint on the interview?

Hi bummi,
Welcome to NL thread on finance,IB general issues specifically.judging from ur posts,i'm tempted to believe that u re new around NL,except u re one of our shadow friends behind the thread veil reading along religiously posts on the thread,never mind,i was once like that some yrs ago. grin grin
congrats on ur test,so lovely to know that u scaled the test stage,na only UI and Ife guys fit do that[/font] grin grin, I am aware u want some hints from Jarus, and am sure he'll reply u soonest, but per chance u may disappear behind the veil again, i will like u to allow the thread thousands of young applicants like us hoping to involve in the process u re involved in now and with the type of coy-vetiva , u re gunning for, to share from how u started it from the beginning,
what specialized trainings do u have(both from Ife and after u left ife)
How did u apply to vetiva
what does the test look like.
Any other things u think might be of usefulness to young pple here.

The reason this thread was set up is to dismystify to a large extent, the lack of infomation to bridge the knowledge gap for so many applicants trying to fulfil destiny,in an area(IB) inwhich most pple were never introduced to in shl.

U will find favour in ur interview(amen) Go giv it to em,cheers.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by jaybee3(m): 1:26pm On Jun 22, 2009
When i grow up, i def want to be like Jarus. Ride on bro

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 1:52pm On Jun 22, 2009
T-Cann:

@tkb
As regards other mamoth deals that u ve dug ur teeth into or that have come to ur notice in the course of ur work,we can at least know the names of the coys involved in the transac, i can tell u authoritatively from a legal point of view that u will not be contravening any provision of any non-disclosure doc u might have signed with ya employers,by mentioning parties to a deal.These CF deals info,most times, are within the purview of public domain and info on them can always be gotten from several sources.
Bros,lets share from the fountain of ur practical experience and exposure,nothing do you o!-LOL

What say you to the above?
Welcome from Ibadan and how was the wedding?,
Am loving that town! smiley
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 2:03pm On Jun 22, 2009
seunallday:

@ T-cann, well said, just heard about the BGL/Savannah bank thingie , dont have much info on it.

@ Seun
u re in the biz now smiley, try and find out more specifics and report back to the house, it will be nice to know.

Seun, i am personally impressed & i  appreciate ur contributions to this thread,but for a very wonderful pple like u and others,both posting and non-posting friends,it may nt have happened here. keep up the good work!!
Cheers.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Jarus(m): 2:18pm On Jun 22, 2009
@ Bummie, find below TIPS on Vetiva interview.

Just the normal interview. Most times it's panel interview, with three or four unit heads interviewing you, but in rare cases, it's a one-on-one interview.
As a fresher, you are not expected to know much, but I will advise you demonstrate basic knowledge of capital market/investment banking. Let this reflect in your interactions, but don't say what you don't know nor go deep because they are experts in the field and if you try to prove too-know(maybe after reading some theory about IB), be ready to meet people that are genius in the business and you will be cut to size.

So you need not know more than:
-What is capital market?
-Differences between IPO, rights issue, offer for subscription etc
-Recent capital market events

And if you are lucky, the direction of the interview may not go this way.

Their interview questions are usually the common interview questions, so for sure, expect these questions:

1, Tell me about yourself? or Who are you? or Let's meet you? etc
HINT: Master your CV before you go. Just summarize the PERSONAL INFORMATION section of your CV. I am XXXXXX, I was born on XXXXX I had my secondary education in Iyanfoworogi High school, where I finished in 1900 as . . . (if you have any achievement in that school, say best student), I later proceeded to University of XYZ where I read Accounting and graduated in XXXX as . . . .(if you have any achievement, state). I qualified as a chartered Accountant in XXXX or I am currently a student member of ICAN/CIS or whatever bla bla bla. Keep it brief so that you will not have to be stopped, but ensure you say relevant things.

2, What do you know about us?
Do a research on the company. Visit their website. Print important pages. Try to get yourself familiarized with their operations - Stockbroking, Wealth management, Corporate finance. You will surely be asked this. They will surely know you went to their website, so don't deny it, it's normal.

3, Why do you want to work with us?
It depends on your goal, but personally, I approach this question thus: I have always wanted to become an investment banker and I believe Vetiva offers a great platform for me to achieve this. Moreover, from I'm really impressed with the phenomenal growth of this company, and I want to contribute my best and be part of the success story. This was a company that came into existence less than seven years ago(It was started 2002 or 2004, can't remember exact) and today it's a reference point in investment banking in Nigeria, up there with those taht had been around decades ago. Appear passionate and demonstrate you know what you are saying.
This response may give rise to another question: What or how do you know about investment banking? I personally answer this question thus: My brother has been an investment banker for some time, and through reading his company's annual reports since when i was in secondary school, I got to know one or two things about the profession, plus what I read in newspapers. But this answer may not be suitable for you, but you may say something like: 'A top investment banker came to deliver a lecture when I was in University about investment banking and i became interested in the career. That actually ignited my interest, from then I have been following the investment banking system in Nigeria through reading newspaper reports etc. . . . just say something relevant.

What challenges have you faced in your life?
Have an example to give beforehand, so that you wont be caught napping. Different people, different challenges, but I remember telling my interviewers that 'the most challenging part of my life was when I was in my final year in the varsity. I was President of a number of associations and at the same time my GP was close to dropping from my target grade and it was my final semester. I wanted to deliver in my responsibities and commitments to these associations and at the same time, I did not want it to jeopardize my academics. I had to plan my time to juggle between the two goals, it wasn't easy but thank God(smiling) at the end of the day, I led my team to emerge regional champions in SIFE competition and at the same time had my dream grade! It was a very difficult period. Come see how my interviewers dey nod their head . . . . not knowing the story get some patchpatch grin The message I passed across was :I can be multitasking! The story was actually doctored. Although I was actually President of a number of associations and truly led OAU SIFE to emerge regional champions, no GP was on borderline. After all, I didn't know and don't think I had faced presentable challenges as at that time. But now I don get enough o. grin Given accounting job with no prior knowledge of accounting is number 1 now! But that will be for future interviews.

What is your stock-in-trade?
I wasn't asked this question, but a colleague that resumed together with me said she was asked this question. Guess what: She told me that she told them bluntly that she didn't know the meaning of stock-in-trade, and they explained to her.Yet this lady came first in interview( we saw the results when we later got in). I think her being honest paid here. But interviews are somehow subjective, what our interviewers saw as 'honesty' could be seen by another set of interviewers as 'unpardonable ignorance' and so disqualified for the job. If you are asked this question, you are expected to tell them your skills and competence. It can also come in the form of: What can you bring to the table? What do you have to offer? Why should I give you this job?

The final question is: Do you have any question for us?
I will advise you make up your mind on what question you want to ask before going for the interview. Try to craft your question, make it reasonable and sensible.
Any of these is OK.
- This organization has risen meteorically in few years of operation and I'm really impressed. Could you educate me on what you actually did to achieve this feat?(appear serious and passionate). This was my question. Come see how they were smiling as I dey praise them . . dem no no say na job I det find grin

Other good questions:
-The recent meltdown left a serious damage in global economy and we saw heavyweights like Lehman brothers, AIG etc (don't say this, if you don't anything about their collapse pls) freely falling. The Nigerian economy was not spared either. Sirs, how did your company weather the storm or were you insulated?

-As a young fresh university graduate hoping to establish a career in investment banking, what advice do you have for me?

-I can see that this company is not a subsidiary of any bank, like any of its major market competitors, yet it remains on top of this business, despite the advantage it's competitors have to leverage on their parent companies. This is very impressive. How are you able to achieve this?

Try to wear a serious and passionate face while asking your question, and you may nod your head at regular intervals while you are being answered, adding some smile, so as to show you are getting them.

BOTTOMLINE:
Again, don't prove you know too much. Don't argue with them. They don't expect you to know very much as a fresher, but be confident. All the best

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by BummieAji: 4:21pm On Jun 22, 2009
@ Jurus: thanks a bunch, i am so grateful
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 5:06pm On Jun 22, 2009
What say you to the above?
Welcome from Ibadan and how was the wedding?,
Am loving that town!

thank you
Ibadan was fine and as regards giving names of clients and the projects?
NO

In as much as i havent mentioned where i work on this blog, then you shldnt expect me to give full details of deals going on.
Just like you said, some of them you can find on the webpages of these IBs, that i think shld be enuff.

you knw im tkb417 here, not my real name so lets still try to keep some anonymity while we at trying to educate one another
cheers
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by seunallday: 5:15pm On Jun 22, 2009
@TBK, we know where u work!!!! grin grin grin,

@T-cann
T-Cann:

@ Seun
u re in the biz now smiley, try and find out more specifics and report back to the house, it will be nice to know.

Seun, i am personally impressed & i  appreciate ur contributions to this thread,but for a very wonderful pple like u and others,both posting and non-posting friends,it may nt have happened here. keep up the good work!!
Cheers.

on the Bgl/savannah, i know as must as a pedestrian, would love to see their model and how they plan to resuscitate savannah in such a cutthroat competitive environment, competitive bankin env, competition for scarce funds,

on d comment, y u dey make my head swell, i have learnt wayyyy more dan i have brought!!!
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Jarus(m): 5:35pm On Jun 22, 2009
Bummie Aji:

@ Jurus: thanks a bunch, i am so grateful
You're welcome. We hope you will also come here one day and give prospective jobs seekers useful tips like this.

All the best.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by babalawo(m): 6:17pm On Jun 22, 2009
@ tkb417

hello u promised to add my addy? still waiting , ntemitope@yahoo.com
Thanks
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 6:27pm On Jun 22, 2009
done
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 22, 2009
@tkb417

Bros you sound like a top boss, always take time to read your posts anywhere you post on this forum. Please, i have just one request; Give me a job!!! It will be a good move for your organization, trust me
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 9:18am On Jun 23, 2009
@tkb417

Bros you sound like a top boss, always take time to read your posts anywhere you post on this forum. Please, i have just one request; Give me a job!!! It will be a good move for your organization, trust me
top boss? No

the top bosses i know on NL are maybe Ajanlekoko, Oyb and Debosky. Sagamite too.
some you wont know until you start reading their posts. Jaybee is another one

as for me, i be employee grin

Give you a job? i dont have such powers o
The reason why T-cann opened this thread is to bridge that gap and give insightful info on how you can do the right things and get the expected rewards. Just link up with people like T-cann to share strategies and know how, then im sure you wont look to far.

as for me, im still begging God to make me a boss o, till then, my hands are tied.

also, you shld read Jarus's posts and i bet it, you'll take home stuffs

cheers
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 23, 2009
tkb417:

top boss? No

the top bosses i know on NL are maybe Ajanlekoko, Oyb and Debosky. Sagamite too.
some you wont know until you start reading their posts. Jaybee is another one

as for me, i be employee grin

Give you a job? i dont have such powers o
The reason why T-cann opened this thread is to bridge that gap and give insightful info on how you can do the right things and get the expected rewards. Just link up with people like T-cann to share strategies and know how, then im sure you wont look to far.

as for me, im still begging God to make me a boss o, till then, my hands are tied.

also, you shld read Jarus's posts and i bet it, you'll take home stuffs

cheers

ok oh egbon, i hope you'r not just using dodging techniques sha, thanks for the advice anyway wink
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by smooooooth: 4:09pm On Jun 23, 2009
does anyone know how much these IBs pay at the moment, with the recent slow activities that is being experienced in the capital market.

thank you.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by nezpablo: 9:08pm On Jun 23, 2009
tkb417:

thank you
Ibadan was fine and as regards giving names of clients and the projects?
NO

In as much as i havent mentioned where i work on this blog, then you shldnt expect me to give full details of deals going on.
Just like you said, some of them you can find on the webpages of these IBs, that i think shld be enuff.

you knw im tkb417 here, not my real name so lets still try to keep some anonymity while we at trying to educate one another
cheers
bros u re getting the whole stuff wrong, ok sha, let's respect ur reservatns to keep some things under the cloth, for whatever it worth. grin grin. No probs,ok, just gud intentions re meant here, to enlighten others!!!

seunallday:

@T-cann

on the Bgl/savannah, i know as must as a pedestrian, would love to see their model and how they plan to resuscitate savannah in such a cutthroat competitive environment, competitive bankin env, competition for scarce funds,

on d comment, y u dey make my head swell, i have learnt wayyyy more dan i have brought!!!

No qualms, u and others like bros TKB,Jarus etc deserve the accolades all the same, we ve all tried in contributing our little info to the demystification of the IB world generally in Naija. kip it up.

Jarus:

You're welcome. We hope you will also come here one day and give prospective jobs seekers useful tips like this.

All the best.
Jarus,
i hope our friend will come back to give to the house where she has taken, for the benefits of others.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 9:13pm On Jun 23, 2009
soorry guys,the above post is for me,i mistakingly sent it in on another person's acct.
It is a sorry mistake

T-CANN
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 3:54pm On Jun 24, 2009
@T-Cann
did you write Mobils test today?

for those interested in applying for the post of a trainee accountant in a telco, send ur email and ill forward the stuff to you

cheers
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by seunallday: 4:17pm On Jun 24, 2009
tkb417:

for those interested in applying for the post of a trainee accountant in a telco, send ur email and ill forward the stuff to you

cheers

have a friend dat is defnly interested, expectin soonest, tanks brov
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 4:29pm On Jun 24, 2009
take ur email away, ive sent it.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 4:34pm On Jun 24, 2009
tkb417:

@T-Cann

cheers

thanks bro, saw it when the vacancy came out but intentionally withdrew from applying, some of my funny decisions. a colleague of mine at my place of work attended though, i ve not seen her to hear to full gist of how it went. thank you for having my back,it 's lovely to know. cheers.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 4:45pm On Jun 24, 2009
thanks bro, saw when the vacancy came out but intentionally withdrew from apply, some of my funny decisions. a colleague of mine at my place of work attended though, i ve not seen her to hear to full gist of how it went. thank for the having my back,it 's lovely to know.
aww. my sis called me after she wrote the tests.

its cool. Ill be on the look out for guys so no worries
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by gyde(m): 5:28pm On Jun 24, 2009
tkb417:

@T-Cann

cheers

tkb417,
please do forward the details to my box

thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

MMM Nigeria: 'I Am Doomed; I Need My Money Back...' Tears, Wailings Trail 'crash / MMM Blocks Withdrawal Of Funds For One Month! / Get Help Worldwide Is In Its Last Days. Beware!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.