Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,535 members, 7,837,052 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Letter To President Buhari Over The Zaria Killings Of Shiites By The Army - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letter To President Buhari Over The Zaria Killings Of Shiites By The Army (629 Views)

Policemen Abort Rally To Remember Murder Of Shiites By Soldiers In Zaria(Pics) / Protest In India Over The Killing Of Shiites By Nigerian Army In Zaria(photos) / Protest In London Over The Killing Of Shiites By Nigerian Army In Zaria (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter To President Buhari Over The Zaria Killings Of Shiites By The Army by Onyocha: 4:41pm On Dec 16, 2015
“The appropriate thing to do, according to the law, was for the police to carry out investigations and charge him (Mohammed Yusuf) to court for prosecution, but they killed him, his in-law was killed, they went and demolished their houses. Because of that, his supporters resorted to what they are doing today." ~ Muhammadu Buhari, June 2, 2013

Zaria Massacre: A Letter To President Muhammadu Buhari

Dear Sir,

I write to register my displeasure, as a concerned citizen of Nigeria, over the killing of defenseless citizens of this country by the Nigerian Army at the weekend in Zaria.

I am sure you received a briefing from your National Security Adviser over the incident. I know, in your daily bulletin, internal and external security challenges were captured, with pictorial attachments to boot. I know on your press clippings, your media office highlighted major issues for you. As addict of international Hausa radio services, you may have heard their lead stories regarding your country. I'm sure you know, more than anybody else, what happened in Zaria.

By way of rehashing, may I inform you that armed soldiers laid a siege on the residence of the leader of Shiite movement in Nigeria, Ibrahim Elzakzaky, killed hundreds of people, demolished his house and bombed the group's sanctuary at the weekend.

I know they told you the killing of the hundreds was precipitated by the Shiite adherents' effrontery, as they denied the convoy of your Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, passage through the area. Yes, it is true.

Permit me to tell you that my heart bled when I spoke with a friend working at Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Shika. He told me 172 bodies including women and children, were registered in that hospital alone, adding that dozens other bodies were deposited in other hospitals.

I know your commitment towards fight against terrorism, but despite that I doubt, just doubting, if Nigerian troops had killed 172 Boko Haram insurgents, in spite of your spirited efforts in the last six months.

Sir, the magnitude of the Zaria crackdown tells one that such operation could not be executed without the express orders of the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.

May I kindly remind you about the principle of rule of tacit admission, hinged on an ancient maxim of common law that says "silence gives consent".

Dear Mr. President, your deafening silence, is construed as admission to even some of your fanatical supporters.

Sir, I am surprised that as a person who repeatedly condemned killings of civilians, particularly in the North East, such atrocities are happening under your watch – and even command – as a C-in-C without uttering a word.

Your Excellency, a few years ago you remember how we supported and defended you when you criticized your predecessor and cautioned the military on rules of engagement and violation of citizens' rights.

Sir, when you were hosted to that popular radio programme, "Bakonmu Na Mako" on Liberty Radio on June 2, you reechoed your standpoint on human rights violation and rules of engagement.

I hope I won't bother you a lot if I reproduce some of your words during the interview, criticizing late Umaru Yar'Adua of killing members of Boko Haram without subjecting them to trial.

“The appropriate thing to do," you said during the June 2, 2013 interview, "according to the law, was for the police to carry out investigations and charge him (Mohammed Yusuf) to court for prosecution, but they killed him, his in-law was killed, they went and demolished their houses. Because of that, his supporters resorted to what they are doing today."

Your Excellency, you never denied saying these foregoing words, advocating justice to even those who took firearms and explosives against the state.

Yes, we have seen pictures of the Shiites bearing cudgels, slingshots and machetes but we have not seen one picture showing them bearing a gun, even a dane gun.

My fear is (as you noted in 2013) the after-effect of violent repression that lead to the death of prominent members of the Shiite group and demolition of their house and shrine.

I must agree with you that the excesses of Shiite members are becoming refractory, out of hand, but I must disagree with you that such bloody crackdown by your government is the solution.

Whenever I remember past events and noose them together with current events, I shook my head and smiled.

I remember joining you to criticize your predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan, for silence and failure to act over the abduction of over 200 school girls.

I shook my head in disbelief that you are silent days after at least 200 people were massacred in Zaria.

Accept my warmest regards, please.

Sincerely,

Jaafar Jaafar

2 Likes

Re: Letter To President Buhari Over The Zaria Killings Of Shiites By The Army by OZAOEKPE(f): 4:52pm On Dec 16, 2015
WHO KNOW YOU
Re: Letter To President Buhari Over The Zaria Killings Of Shiites By The Army by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 16, 2015
Lovely write up...lovely
Re: Letter To President Buhari Over The Zaria Killings Of Shiites By The Army by Nobody: 4:54pm On Dec 16, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
WHO KNOW YOU

Learn to read, it's a wonderful article...

Op, nice one jor
Re: Letter To President Buhari Over The Zaria Killings Of Shiites By The Army by Chubhie: 5:05pm On Dec 16, 2015
PMB is so insensitive. So cold and devoid of any human feeling that can only be likened to Suni jihadis terrorist fighters of ISIL.

His silence could be interpreted as a green light to turn Nigeria into a battle ground for shia vs sunis madness. How did this guy end up as a general that saw war? Holy spirit of my ancestors!!!!!
Re: Letter To President Buhari Over The Zaria Killings Of Shiites By The Army by jamex93(m): 5:17pm On Dec 16, 2015
Lemme read
Re: Letter To President Buhari Over The Zaria Killings Of Shiites By The Army by nwaanambra1(m): 5:47pm On Dec 16, 2015

(1) (Reply)

The Richest Man In My Village / A Government Of Sadists - By Femi Fani-kayode / Boko Haram Terrorist Nabbed By Security Agents While Trying To Carry Out Suicide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.