Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,371 members, 7,822,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom (30099 Views)

Otedola Bridge Lagos Tanker Fire: Man Narrates How He Escaped / Lady Narrates Near Crash Experience Onboard An Arik Flight From Lagos To Ghana / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 19, 2015
Dear humans of Facebook, I am tired and have locked myself in this room until I get all my work done. But, I am also waiting for my beautiful flatmate to come back because I need to sit her down and explain certain things to her. I will be very nice, because she’s cute.

Let me tell you why I’ll be having that talk with her so no one thinks I’m a bully.

A few weeks ago, I decided to cook Jollof rice and I wanted to use fresh peppers for it so badly so I went downstairs to a Sainsbury’s store and asked for it. They gave me peppers alright, but sweet peppers. I explained to these fine people that I wanted peppery pepper, not the sugary kind, still they looked at me like I was yanning dust.

Eventually, one of them said I had to go to the bigger Sainsbury’s to find “things like that”. If you’re lost, it’s PEPPER I was looking for like this o, ose!

Anyway, so I started the journey to this bigger store and it took me about 15mins to get there.

I looked around and all I could find were the same “sugary pepper” I found in the smaller store. Hia, I cannot trek this long distance and go home empty-handed o, I thought. So I asked the staff there to gather round, they did. Then I asked them if they had ever seen HOT PEPPER as in PEPPERY PEPPER as in PAINFUL PEPPER as in the kind of pepper that after touching, you dare not touch your eyes with it?

One started going through his computer, probably checking for “peppery pepper”. Another one kept picking up the sweet pepper, examining and putting it back. Then the third one said she was going to ask another colleague. I waited.

After about five minutes of standing and waiting, one man walked up to me and asked “did you mean chilli?” I said chilli o, pepper o, anyone, as long as it’s peppery hot biko, give it to me!

So they went to a different corner and brought their “chilli”, the chilli bu our Nigerian pepper. Odiegwu.

I literally bought all the packs on that rack because this journey cannot be wasted and I wasn’t prepared to make it a second time soon.

Now, can you see what I had to go through to buy that pepper? Okay. So I just walked into the kitchen now to cook noodles, opened the fridge and couldn’t find my peppers. Then my eyes just randomly went to the dustbin, and behold, there lay my hard earned packets of pepper AKA chilli. I swear, tears ran down my eyes.

I put my hand in the dustbin, brought them out, opened them all and put in the sink. I washed, put them into those kitchen bags and back in the fridge.

My beautiful flatmate must have been doing me a favour because the expiry date on the pepper packs said 14th Dec. Everything here has an expiry date, including carrots and onions and tomatoes. I honestly don’t blame her but this talk must happen, because this is exactly the kind of favour I don’t need in my life right now.

She needs to know that where I come from, peppers and tomatoes and onions don’t just expire, no they don’t. Highest, they’ll get soft. And when they get soft, we blend and still use them. There’s such a thing as awalawa, for my Igbo brethren. I’m sure they exist in other tribes too.

Oh and did I mention that each pack of that chilli cost 4pounds? Please do the calculation. My God, what else will she throw away now when I’m not in the kitchen? My stockfish? My okpa? Ogbono m? Chineke ekwekwana!

So, I am sitting patiently, waiting for her beautiful self to walk in. Bye bye nu.

-Uzoamaka Doris Aniunoh

This Story has been described by foreknown author Pa Ikhide R. Ikheloa as an “Effortless Luscious Writing’ and a story which can never be seen on books, but on Facebook.
http://starttells.com/2015/12/19/nigerian-lady-narrates-experience-shopping-for-peppers-in-united-kingdom/

105 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 19, 2015
Starttells reports interesting stories of the Social Network.
Op is living in Birmingham for those asking

2 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Rawani: 12:18pm On Dec 19, 2015
Hilariously true. That's why there are African and other ethnic shops all around the UK.

22 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by politricks: 12:24pm On Dec 19, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
Buhari MAKA WHY
It will reach a point where they will ask you your name and you will say Buhari.

112 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by MrLankeeee(m): 12:27pm On Dec 19, 2015
Lolz.

I like part you said everything there has expiring date.

Please tell ur flatmate that Nigerians don't get affected by expired stuff.

We are strong people...

50 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Usjimy(m): 12:49pm On Dec 19, 2015
Weti pepper dey give sef?
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by tpiar: 12:49pm On Dec 19, 2015
The expiry date on the peppers would probably be because of the chemicals they were washed and preserved with.

plus, they are imported.

peppers are available in african or ethnic stores.

9 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by damton(m): 12:49pm On Dec 19, 2015
No place like Home.

4 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by hakeem4(m): 12:49pm On Dec 19, 2015
Sweet pepper ke?

Expiry date for pepper ke ?

I'm not going to london again grin

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by sandrajazmin(f): 12:49pm On Dec 19, 2015
Chai! Nnem i understand exactly ow u feel,

The day ma lil nephew poured my salt in2 a
Bowl of water thinking twas detergent, was the day i understood how
Horrible egusi soup tastes witout salt

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Shortyy(f): 12:51pm On Dec 19, 2015
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by chesterlee(m): 12:53pm On Dec 19, 2015
Chai Bubu!!!!

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by DirtyGold: 12:54pm On Dec 19, 2015
When in Rome....
How many of yankee "food" have you really felt real pepper?
Next time, try chilli

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by liveyourlife: 12:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
okkkk
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by frankzone: 12:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
Beautiful story! Made me smile... nice rendition

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Chidoks(f): 12:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
Hilarious!especially the "buhari maka why" part.
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by kennyman2000(m): 12:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
Hmmmmmm....
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by wellmax(m): 12:56pm On Dec 19, 2015
Hilarious
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by killercute16(m): 12:56pm On Dec 19, 2015
No place lyk home mehn!!
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by sunsky29(m): 12:56pm On Dec 19, 2015
Now this part got me laughing.I could imagin d faces of those oyinbos when they heard "v you ever seen hot pepper,as in peppery pepper, as in the type when u handle,u dare not touch ur eyes wt it.kai...I don rotflmao

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by Larablink(f): 12:57pm On Dec 19, 2015
LOL.this so hilarious.

1 Like

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by dustydee: 12:57pm On Dec 19, 2015
A simple trip to Morrisons and she'd have found scotch bonnet (what some Nigerians call ata) there.

6 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by NobleAky(m): 1:00pm On Dec 19, 2015
That's small red pepper from Nsukka eeeee... (ose Nsukka together with Okpeyi Nsukka, Mmanu and Okpa Nsukka)The thing dey very peppery die and i no get expiry date... When i wan travel abroad, i must find a way of taking it abroad as i no wan stress myself in the name of searching for Chili that get expiry date

4 Likes

Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by lonelydora: 1:03pm On Dec 19, 2015
Boss I see you. So na here you dey I go dey find you for cartalk. Lol.
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by doveda: 1:07pm On Dec 19, 2015
Not funny

The author must be CLUELESS
Re: Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom by cycline404(m): 1:09pm On Dec 19, 2015
Nn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos-Based Woman Slumps, Dies At Motor Park In Uyo - Pictures / Nigerians Stranded At Seme Border After Shutdown By Soldiers, Immigration / Refusal Of Entry Clearance (uk Visa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.