Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,781 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: (3796 Views)

How To Keep Your Jobs In A Difficult Economy - Entrepreneurs Advise Workers / How Best Do I Start An IT Consulting Company In Lagos. / Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by sley4life(m): 11:49pm On Jul 28, 2009
anytime
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by suresam: 11:56pm On Jul 28, 2009
:Dhey guys this topic is really interesting. The little conribution I have is that nigerians dont have money for research and the internation research institutes that we have around dont enjoy any grant from the government or weathy in the individuals, so they get weary and fustrated, especially when there is little or no supply of electricity for such organisation, they spend much to generate power yet they are non profit organisation, eventually they run away from our land to some neighbouring country that we even supply electricity. a good example of such organisation is IITA.
what I think we can do as youth is to see how we can empower ourselve to be financially free then and only then will meaningful invention take place in nigeria. though I am working on such youth empowerment program. tongue
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by v3: 9:01am On Jul 29, 2009
@Post

A nice topic i must say, it's only when a govt decides to invest in its people, that a nation'll grow, take a look @ whats happening around the world (technology wise) Asia, America and europe are pace-setters in every strata of science &technology, where does Nigeria fit into that list of "scientifically minded" nations. . .FUCKING nowhere!!! angry

I've been to NASA (USA) about 50 percent of their Jet propulsion scientists, physicists n all are bloody Nigerians!!. . .Phillip Imegwali (hope i pronounced that right) put us on the I.T map by designing a program that could calculate up to a million numbers in a fraction of a sec. . But for SOME bloody reason has drop plans coming back home. . . And why'd he wanna do that, 9jah is way to corrupt to EVEN let the best minds think "creatively". . .

The ones that do get to invent something here ONLY have self-interests and NOT the interests of nigerians in general. . .

As a graduate of Computer Science, I assembled a team and we're currently working on a project. . .that hopefully when it comes out, will do well. . . .

The question STILL and will ALWAYS remain, what scares the best minds (nigerians) in diaspora away
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Nezan(m): 9:55am On Jul 29, 2009
v3nom4eva:

@Post

A nice topic i must say, it's only when a govt decides to invest in its people, that a nation'll grow, take a look @ whats happening around the world (technology wise) Asia, America and europe are pace-setters in every strata of science &technology, where does Nigeria fit into that list of "scientifically minded" nations. . .FUCKING nowhere!!! angry

I've been to NASA (USA) about 50 percent of their Jet propulsion scientists, physicists n all are bloody Nigerians!!. . .Phillip Imegwali (hope i pronounced that right) put us on the I.T map by designing a program that could calculate up to a million numbers in a fraction of a sec. . But for SOME bloody reason has drop plans coming back home. . . And why'd he wanna do that, 9jah is way to corrupt to EVEN let the best minds think "creatively". . .

The ones that do get to invent something here ONLY have self-interests and NOT the interests of nigerians in general. . .

As a graduate of Computer Science, I assembled a team and we're currently working on a project. . .that hopefully when it comes out, will do well. . . .

The question STILL and will ALWAYS remain, what scares the best minds (nigerians) in diaspora away

Closely related is the issue of piracy. Naija piracy laws (if at all they exist) are hardly implemented
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Epiphany(m): 11:34am On Jul 29, 2009
Lets all have a look at a few of the Nigerians abroad who are doing well:

Although they are all involved in formal research programs and are all academically oriented, this does not mean that those who are less academically oriented cannot be innovative and invent world recognized products. Like previous posters have shown, some of the earliest inventions - which are still in use today - were invented by those who either dropped out of school or were laughed at when they told people about what they were trying to achieve.

http://nigeriaworld.com/columnist/ajayi/030607.html

There are a few excerpts:

We have Professor Sunday Fadulu, a medical researcher on sickle cell anemia. His emphasis is on Medical Mycology, Sickle Cell Anemia, and Clinical Trial of Hemogenol. A drug to cure Sickle Cell Anemia/Thalassemia has earned him very high reputations in the field of science. Professor Fadulu was able to isolate the anti-Sickle properties as a medicine for sickle cell. One of his works is of the Orin Ata, Chewing stick. Nigerian Government has signed an agreement with a US-based pharmaceutical company, Xechem International Incorporated to produce sickle cell drugs utilizing the facilities of the Gateway Pharmaceutical Company, Ikangba, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.

Dr. Nelson Oyesiku is a board certified in Neurological Surgery and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Oyesiku's clinical interests are pituitary and brain tumors and stereotactic radiosurgery. His laboratory has identified unique aspects of pituitary tumor gene expression and is developing a new modality for imaging and targeted therapy of pituitary tumors. He is also Professor of Neurological Surgery and Director of the Laboratory of Molecular Neurosurgery and Biotechnology

Dr. Augustine Esogbue, an Advisory Board member of NASA, Member, NASA's senior panel: Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel earned NASA Public Service Medal in 2006. He is a Professor in the School of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He is also the Director of the Intelligent Systems and Controls Laboratory which is currently investigating a hybrid approach to intelligent control via fuzzy sets, neural networks, and reinforcement learning theories as well as its application to various large-scale, nonlinear and uncertain dynamical systems. He is the first Black Professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Amjustme: 11:36am On Jul 29, 2009
Naija! Naija!!

All these wahala, na d time we all dey innocent we for dey invent! For sure our leaders opened our eyes to see how we can steal and loot and datz just wot most of us are up to; satisfy our greed.

D worst thing 2 eat up a nation is corruption; it disorganizes everything. May GOD show us a way out of the mess we've made of ourselves.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by debosky(m): 3:37pm On Jul 29, 2009
I have a theory on why have not been developing (or inventing) as much as we should, and a lot of it has to do with our history and climate. It’s not completely original but a result of conversations I’ve had with people and my personal observations. We live in perhaps the most friendly climate for subsistence living. Crops grow year round, you need minimal shelter to survive and don’t need a lot of clothing either since the climate is not harsh.

This general ‘ease of living’ makes it mostly unnecessary to innovate or develop further. We managed sizable populations with this level of innovation/invention, managed to wage wars and win, secure supplies of resources and land for agriculture. In that sense, we haven’t really needed to innovate as a people. Now when there are genuine threats to your life regularly, e.g. harsh winters, small landmass, wars and terrible diseases like the plague and chicken pox, you are forced to innovate and develop solutions. In addition, when such calamities happen and there is a strong collective ‘memory’ of these things, there is a push to continue to innovate and develop further. Without these natural ‘pushes’, I don’t think we would have had as much development as we’ve had today.

On an individual level, when there is a need to stand out (e.g. in a foreign land where you don’t get recognised unless you are exceptional) then we as a people are able to overcome that inertia and innovate.

In the end, as long as our political class can continue to sustain themselves on oil receipts there will be no push to innovate as a nation. Most of the innovation/development that has occurred in Asian economies has arisen from deliberate attempts/drives from the leaders to achieve this.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by AjanleKoko: 4:17pm On Jul 29, 2009
debosky:

I have a theory on why have not been developing (or inventing) as much as we should, and a lot of it has to do with our history and climate. It’s not completely original but a result of conversations I’ve had with people and my personal observations. We live in perhaps the most friendly climate for subsistence living. Crops grow year round, you need minimal shelter to survive and don’t need a lot of clothing either since the climate is not harsh.

This general ‘ease of living’ makes it mostly unnecessary to innovate or develop further. We managed sizable populations with this level of innovation/invention, managed to wage wars and win, secure supplies of resources and land for agriculture. In that sense, we haven’t really needed to innovate as a people. Now when there are genuine threats to your life regularly, e.g. harsh winters, small landmass, wars and terrible diseases like the plague and chicken pox, you are forced to innovate and develop solutions. In addition, when such calamities happen and there is a strong collective ‘memory’ of these things, there is a push to continue to innovate and develop further. Without these natural ‘pushes’, I don’t think we would have had as much development as we’ve had today.

On an individual level, when there is a need to stand out (e.g. in a foreign land where you don’t get recognised unless you are exceptional) then we as a people are able to overcome that inertia and innovate.

In the end, as long as our political class can continue to sustain themselves on oil receipts there will be no push to innovate as a nation. Most of the innovation/development that has occurred in Asian economies has arisen from deliberate attempts/drives from the leaders to achieve this.

Nice POV, debosky.
I tend to agree with your theory.
Sort of explains why the slavery and colonisation went the way it did, and also why South America is a good simile (although not as bad) with Africa.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by ibelab(m): 5:14pm On Jul 29, 2009
i think somehow inventing new things seems to be a big problem  in Nigeria:: but let start from the simlple ones,  for example smileyGermans import 85% of there friuts but still! still 1 liter of juice,( cost 0.50cent.)Nigeria have all the raw material but we still import juice and wine? why it,z doesn,t need alot of captial but the government failed to enlight people. The rich prefer to keep there money in banks.why not invest simple in a small company,  employ peolpe , lets people get busy, go to the universities get in touch with students employ them part time(we can invent if we ain,t got no stress, i,m a witness)let them put there head  together and invent,(juice mechines aint hard to build)  i know we still got hot brains out there smiley end of the month u got hope ur money is coming, u will be cool and study hard, why can,t we start from the little ones .oooh! what a Government  we have!!! here students  invent different kind of things every year,  . diferents school  show case what the achieves( for the year, ).   some people we complain about light,  yes that,z why the topic is all about invent,  Do  u know u can create enough energy from motor engine with out  heavy noise to power a company,  i saw it with own eyes, ( soundless, other noiseless) students invented it here, they don,t even need it,cause power never fail,  we need it most,  i wish the Government will listen,  i can go on till tomorrow,  smiley we are really behind the world,  i
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 29, 2009
Nobody should used the same old hackneyed excuse of climate to excuse lack of invention. The Indians have a similar climate yet they lead the world in computer programming.

Furthermore, contrary to what some may think, countries like Brazil  in South America have made tremendous progress in original scientific research in recent years.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by ForConsult: 5:28pm On Jul 29, 2009
The Best time to Invent is Now!

Infact, whenever you get the
idea that keeps you awake
all through the night.

When you can't sleep
because you got something
hot on the inside of you
you want to release ==>

That is the best time to Invent!
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by ubine(m): 5:32pm On Jul 29, 2009
Well i think alot of personalities here have spoken well about this topic
But i still strongly believe that if the government do not given its citizens the support it need
to invent we will still be crowling in the field of importation and selling the Great nation's honor.

Just as some good posts have read: there are very good scientists outside this country who are actually
doing perfectly well for the economy of other nations through inventions. WHY? because the government here dont see thier importance.

and others here who are not opportune to either study abroad or go abroad. will remain here and face frustration from both government and other citizens, since any information you want to get for the sake of your reseach has to be paid for.

So evry one will prefare to be where the money is: POLITICE,BUSINESS,SPORT AND ENTERTAINMENTS.  
Most youths take the entertainments and sport while the adults take politics and business

So less regard is given to invention.

We can start solving this problem by HAVING GOOD LEADERS FIRST.
who will lead for the sake of development and mot for the sake of politics
who will be ready to betray godfathers etc.

And this can begin from the youth by refusing to be used as a tool of riging elections and letter start complaining about the government.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by debosky(m): 5:39pm On Jul 29, 2009
tensor777:

Nobody should used thesame old hackneyed excuse of climate to excuse lack of invention. The Indians have a similar climate yet the lead the world in computer programming.

Furthemore contrary to what some may think countries like Brazil South America have made great progress in original scientific research in recent years.

Tensor I feel you didn't finish reading my comments - India has had focused governance bent on improving the country's inventive spirit/innovation and are not simply rent seeking like the Nigerian government. In addition, threats to it's existence by China and Pakistan, as well as invasions over the centuries have engendered a strong sense of independence and a need to defend itself.

Brazil is a mish mash of European settlers, former slaves and indigenous people. In addition, it has also had more focused leadership than we have had.

Those are by no means the only reasons behind our failings, but are significant. Leadership and vision play very important roles in a country's development.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Beaf: 11:54pm On Jul 29, 2009
debosky:

Tensor I feel you didn't finish reading my comments - India has had focused governance bent on improving the country's inventive spirit/innovation and are not simply rent seeking like the Nigerian government. In addition, threats to it's existence by China and Pakistan, as well as invasions over the centuries have engendered a strong sense of independence and a need to defend itself.

Brazil is a mish mash of European settlers, former slaves and indigenous people. In addition, it has also had more focused leadership than we have had.

Those are by no means the only reasons behind our failings, but are significant. Leadership and vision play very important roles in a country's development.

Please, please, please! Invention has absolutely nothing to do with climate and it isn't worth your time beating a dead donkey.
Like some of us have said here, we are talking from experience.
While in Nigeria, I was inventing things but without any outlet and to a lot of derision from friends and neighbours. People were always going on about how "White people havent done it and yet you think you can?". In the meantime, you are left absolutely without support by govt; each time you enquire, there's the distinct feeling that someone is sniggering as soon as your back is turned. There is nothing worse than feeling locked in and unvalued. I have left Nigeria, but now I have levels of support I would never have in a thousand years in Nigeria.

Leave out esoteric arguments about climate. The system we practice kills intellectual expression; Wole Soyinka had to go abroad or he would never have won a Nobel prize. It is our system killing brainy output, not the weather.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by debosky(m): 12:13am On Jul 30, 2009
Beaf:

Please, please, please! Invention has absolutely nothing to do with climate and it isn't worth your time beating a dead donkey.
Where is your evidence to support this? How come the colder regions of the Northern Hemisphere are by far more developed than elsewhere?

Like some of us have said here, we are talking from experience.
While in Nigeria, I was inventing things but without any outlet and to a lot of derision from friends and neighbours. People were always going on about how "White people havent done it and yet you think you can?". In the meantime, you are left absolutely without support by govt; each time you enquire, there's the distinct feeling that someone is sniggering as soon as your back is turned. There is nothing worse than feeling locked in and unvalued. I have left Nigeria, but now I have levels of support I would never have in a thousand years in Nigeria.

I never said there was NO inventive ability in Nigeria and it is clear that lack of systemic support is a major factor behind our backwardness. That said, there is a greater desire for innovation in other regions of the world than ours.

Leave out esoteric arguments about climate. The system we practice kills intellectual expression; Wole Soyinka had to go abroad or he would never have won a Nobel prize. It is our system killing brainy output, not the weather.
Again, you haven't presented any evidence to say our climatic conditions are not a factor.

You can look at the Northern US and Southern US and see a similar but less pronounced weather effect, even comparing Northern to Southern Europe as well. Weather/Climate definitely has a part to play in how much adaptation and modification you need to live a basic life.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by debosky(m): 12:26am On Jul 30, 2009
Something to read if you have time - obviously an old book that contains a lot of the conventional thinking at the time, but still points to some salient effects of weather/climate on invention and economic output.

Civilization and Climate by Ellsworth Huntington.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=F2sUe1K-Le4C&dq=Civilization+and+Climate+by+Ellsworth+Huntington&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=-U8mqO8QFj&sig=mVqm7LpY57SMrh5Fm6rfRVwal8Q&hl=en&ei=UdlwSvbPKIWNjAeDwtWVDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 30, 2009
I've been to NASA (USA) about 50 percent of their Jet propulsion scientists, physicists n all are bloody Nigerians!!.

NASA was started by whites- mainly an attempt to "one up" the USSR during the Cold war era. Also heavily influenced by WWII rocket technology (remember the bombardment of London). A number of Nazi rocket scientists ended up as NASA employees.

Some schools of thought believe war is the only thing that fosters invention. However, necessity does as well.

Besides, westerners dont mind borrowing ideas and inventions from other cultures, building on them and then taking the credit. Blacks generally are too embroiled in ethnic, religious or other issues, to concentrate on non-essential things.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Beaf: 12:45am On Jul 30, 2009
@debosky Sorry, I have not had any of these "climatic" experiences; my mind was even sharper back home.

Lets not whip a dead donkey, maybe on some other topic, I'm not interested this time.

Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 30, 2009
@ debosky

You really have to get away from this idea using climate as an excuse for lack of invention in Nigeria. It really is completely irrelevant.

Furthermore, Europe, for your information, went through the dark ages of more than 1500 years betwwen the fall of the Greek Empire and the Italian Renaissance. During this period there was virtually no scientific progress to think of despite their temperate climate. In fact the greatest  scientific/technological progress in this period occurred in China and Arabia.

What kick-started scientific research and invention  in Europe was the Renaissance and the Reformation when existing scientific and  cultural orthodoxies began to be challenged.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by debosky(m): 9:51am On Jul 30, 2009
tensor777:

@ debosky

You really have to get away from this idea using climate as an excuse for lack of invention in Nigeria. It really is completely irrelevant.

It is not an excuse, but it remains a factor - to say it doesn't is to deny the obvious. Civilization cannot occur without geographical/climatic impacts making an influence.

Note I am not talking about what is happening right now, but taking a long-term view as to why we haven't had as much innovation over thousands of years compared to other climes.

Furthermore, Europe, for your information, went through the dark ages of more than 1500 years betwwen the fall of the Greek Empire and the Italian Renaissance. During this period there was virtually no scientific progress to think of despite the temperate climate. In fact the greatest  scientific/technological progress in this period occurred in China and Arabia.

As I said earlier, climate, population pressures and diseases influenced civillizations in addition to other factors. There were high and low periods of civillization in Europe just as there was elsewhere - I haven't made an argument that climate leads to uninterrupted/exclusive innovation and development, merely that it is a factor that shouldn't be discounted when looking at development throughout history.

What kick-started scientific research and invention  in Europe was the Renaissance and the Reformation when existing scientific and  cultural orthodoxies began to be challenged.

Is that all? Did the plagues and other widespread diseases that killed millions not drive medical advances and searches for vaccines and improvements in sanitation? A multitude of events were involved not just the renaissance and reformation.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by babygurl19(f): 10:39am On Jul 30, 2009
when africans cant innovate, they must blame somebody, the government, instead of talking why not start by making something

when my husband did his final thesis as an engineer, he made a crane which can function as a lever or lift/elevator, this is done in just a university campus but what do they teach in nigerian universities? only to calculate physics till Jesus comes,nothing practical.

but all these people who have once innovated something,were they helped by the government or it was done in their backyard or garage for years and when something comes up,they announce it to the world

and on the contrary the government too might be of great help,like scientist who find cure to diseases are paid continously to keep doing research,testing it on one mouse or the other till they come up with some sort of treatment that will help cure a particular disease threatening the human race,

all i am saying in a nutshell is that pls stop blaming the government 100 percent on everything that happens.

is it all black nations that are economically bad? and how many black has innovated something, abeg leave the inventions for the white pple jare, lets just support and do what we do best which is rapping and entertainment
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by debosky(m): 11:42am On Jul 30, 2009
@ babygurl

Obviously the problem isn't simply 'making something' as beaf and others have shown, people do make things but get stifled and are not supported to create more and continue in that line.

I don't think this is a case of 'looking for who to blame' - without proper analysis of WHY we are not as inventive/innovative, we cannot comprehensively fix the problem.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by ubine(m): 11:46am On Jul 30, 2009
@ debosky
Well, Climate may to an extent effect invent but its not upto 10% compared to other factors in Nigeria
I guess thats why some personalities here are really reacting to your post

IN NIGERIA
The people are SKILLFULL,CREATIVE some have even tried to be PRODUCTIVE
But how can all this give the country its maximum honor is the government dont see the need simply because thier are no leaders reather politicians.

And the youths who are actually suppose to influence the change have ''silently accepted the corruption'' since every one is afraid to DIE,LOOSE JOB,LOST WEALTH ect.

But i tell you if Nelson Mandela of South Africa thought thesame way till date i think South Africa may not have gotten thier independence.

For use Nigerians to Start Invention, We can only change the system cos if the system is changed, thier may not be skill full and creative nigerians, but the fact that the government promote the subject we will begin to see good results in this respect.

But its unfurtunate, believe it or yes we are in the endtimes so it takes Just the grace of GOD through we nigerians for a CHANGE
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by ubine(m): 12:04pm On Jul 30, 2009
@ babygurl
I think u r missing something here: 'leave the inventions for the white pple jare' as u said is what laid nigerians to where they are today. And am really sure its the mentallity of the govermnet.
Those who are blaming the governmet are not blaming them 100% as u wrote rather they have MAJOR FUNCTION TO PLAY. a very big one I will stress.

You make mention of your husband as an engineer made a crane which can function as a lever or lift/elevator, which is done in just a university campus. But the government of that country made those facilities available for that purpose.
its so unfurtunate that Nigerian Universities are no where to but found in Africa not to talk about its standard in other developing countries.

The system of government need to change to effect other sectors. Presently The Universities in Nigeria are on strike in respect to it challenges in the education sector. But its so funny that the government is still unready to Reply but this is a sector that is not suppose to be taken for a joke,
GOD help use
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Epiphany(m): 12:10pm On Jul 30, 2009
Impressive! Now i am reading some good stuff on this thread. These are the points and arguements that people build on to support their research and theses.

Let us not also forget that Asia (India, China, Taiwan, Japan, etc) started out by copying the products made in the West. I remember those days when buying electronics, toys, clothes made in China/Taiwan/Korea etc was a taboo. Everything that was bought had to be made in Europe or The US. This was until the Asians started improving upon their products and started making them smaller, lighter and of course, cheaper - until it became possible to buy new things instead of repairing them (in parts of Europe of course). Look at the automobile market too. Who would have thought that the asians will take over the world with their cars and machines? Today, new entrants like Kia are everywhere and so is Daewoo. Tata from India, is now gaining ground, esp with their new 'cheapest car in the world' about to make its debut. Old school guys like Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda are the best sellers the world over esp in the US where people are now trying to cut down on their fuel use. It is a well known thing that most American made cars are fuel guzzlers and the Asian made cars are very efficient (efficiency, being the Asians innovative contribution)

This is no far from how the Igbo's started. I am also old enough to remember the times when things were being made in Onitsha or Nnewi or the east in General. Where those boys could copy anything such that there were jokes that one day, they would make a human being. Where has all that gone now? NOWHERE. Everyone is trying to survive now such that many of those boys who would have been 'encouraged' to continue innovating are now traders - buying and selling spare parts INSTEAD OF FINDING WAYS TO MAKE THEM AND IMPROVE UPON THEM.

However, i still see some of those things around today. Makes such as KASSIO instead of Casio. SONNY instead of Sony and so on and so forth. Maybe encouraging those guys is not out of place. Encouragement in what sense?? Maybe patronizing them, opening up channels (other parts of Africa) for them to flourish in - I dont know!

Can we also suggest ways to encourage these guys?
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 30, 2009
@ debosky

I really don't get your point about diseases and poulation pressures in Europe driving technological progress. Such factors exist and have existed in both tropical and temperate climes from time immemorial.

My point about the Renaissance is that from this period European scientists started to make significant progress. Why?
Because this was a culture that encouraged asking questions about what was observed, examined existing theories  proposed alternatives and actively carried out experiments to test the validity of these new theories. This is what drives scientific progress and not 'climate'.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 30, 2009
I have to say I am in complete agreement with Babygurl. Instead of looking for someone to blame, pointing the finger or even shaking the fist, make something or encourage others to make something. Don't just talk.
Don't stifle the creativity and imagination of your kids, by forbidding them from asking questions or by chastising them for getting the 'wrong' answer.
More positively buy them the sort of educational toys that would actually stimulate their scientific curiosity.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by cashful(m): 3:34pm On Jul 30, 2009
nice topic
the replies are also okay it confirms that there are many factors which are necessary for innovation to strive.

national innovation drive
factor1
political situation of the country
take a look at the daily headlines and stories on Nigerian papers they are mostly politically based and focused
#2007 elections,tribunal
#2009 elections
#EFCC corruption etc
#niger delta etc
#sectarian and religious violence
and related issues

these are the main issues driving the nation now and i guess until they are dealt with no time for other things
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Nnenna1(f): 8:15pm On Jul 30, 2009
Debosky, Beaf and company,

Do you think that the Nigerian environment (familial, academic, social, spiritual, etc) is condusive enough for children to grow up into becoming problem solvers, critical thinkers, inventors, and discoverers?

Be honest.

Let's look inwards, people.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by AjanleKoko: 8:52am On Jul 31, 2009
@Beaf,
I think what we refer to as climatic factors is not the negatives of the climate, it's actually the positives. The indians have harsher weather: heat, tropical rainstorms, monsoons, hurricanes, and what have you. You find that a number of these nations plagued with severe natural disasters have a propensity to innovate, as opposed to climes like ours, where things are relatively peaceful, and the environment is rich in resources.

I think a number of factors are responsible: The usual ones, such as slavery, colonialism, which seems to have instilled a generational complex in Africans, and has made us lose our sense of being. You might want to argue that. But I think there is something deeper, something which I find plausible from debosky's view; we as Africans have never actually had to battle the elements and face the survival challenges most other nations have had to face. A few examples I would list:

- Great powers, like the Egyptians, Alexander, the Romans, Vikings, Huns, Mongols, etc, etc, never made it down here. Maybe if they had done what they did elsewhere in Europe and Asia, it might have been a different story. And I'm not talking Usman Dan Fodio and Sokoto Jihad here.

- We seem to have been largely isolated from the wider world for thousands of years, unlike the known world of Europe and Asia. There is definite value in interdependence. Even the Romans that conquered people all over the world, borrowed a lot of practices from other places. E.g When Zeus crossed the Aegean sea and arrived in Italy, he became known as Jupiter. Asides the Portuguese showing up somewhere in Calabar in the seventeenth century or so, there is obviously a gap between us in the dark continent and the outside world.

Even in Europe, you find that there is always some sort of ideological shift to herald a new age when it comes to innovation, or even innovative thinking. Remember the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, the Industrial Age, and the Enlightenment period? I'm no history scholar but I have never heard of any such shift in ideology when it comes to African history. That may be your issue right there.
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 31, 2009
"
Re: When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 31, 2009
@ajanlekoko

You have to stop flogging this 'dead donkey' called  climatic factors. Actually there is no historical basis for it.

First of all civilization and scientific  discovery in Europe emanated in the very benign mediterranean area(Greece and Italy).  Areas in northern Europe, until the middle ages were very backward scientifically, culturally and economically.  So harsh was their environment that they used to resort to robbery and plunder of the more advanced southern europe not to mention piracy on the high seas.

Technological developments gradually spread northwards and enabled Northern Europeans to better cope with their harsher winters.

Also, the point we are making about countries like Brazil and India  is that they have a similar to climate to Nigeria(heat ,humidity,tropical rainstorms) yet they are at the forefront of new technological developments. (Biofuels and software engineering)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Judges Petitioned Over Harassment Of Lawyers By Court Security Officials / Shell Vs Kpmg / *BENEFITS of SHEA BUTTER*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.