Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,323 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. (45381 Views)

11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make / Don't Fall For This Cheap Scam By A Nigerian Car Dealer. / Toyota Unveils First Nigerian Toyota Vehicle Assembled In Lagos(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by Nobody: 1:17am On Dec 21, 2015
LordReed:

Nigerians on the street are not really gonna respond to esoteric figures, tell them how comfortable it is to drive in a Lagos holdup that will get their attention.

There are astute autoists in Nigeria.

They don't live in Lekki so you might never get to see them.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by maxtamazin: 1:57am On Dec 21, 2015
Very good concept. ...pls include Nigeria made cars too.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by LordReed(m): 9:21am On Dec 21, 2015
EgunMogaji:

There are astute autoists in Nigeria.

They don't live in Lekki so you might never get to see them.

In terms of numbers the non-motor enthusiasts out number the enthusiasts so adding another layer of perceived elitism would not help the show. Since they started out with the popular cars Nigerians drive they should establish some base benchmarks with say the 406 and Camry and say how much better or worse a car is than the benchmark cars, these are ways Nigerians can relate. Raw torque numbers won't get the hype they need especially if they don't want to be perceived as elitist.

1 Like

Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by holacorp(m): 10:04am On Dec 21, 2015
LordReed:

Nigerians on the street are not really gonna respond to esoteric figures, tell them how comfortable it is to drive in a Lagos holdup that will get their attention.

please be informed that Lagos is not Nigeria and that even in an eight hour traffic like those we experience in Lagos it is important to know that my car is efficient enough to perform without breaking my bank
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by holacorp(m): 10:07am On Dec 21, 2015
LordReed:

please be informed that Lagos alone is not Nigeria and that even in an eight hour traffic like those we experience in Lagos it is important to know that my car is efficient enough to perform without breaking my bank
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by mikkyphp(m): 10:20am On Dec 21, 2015
Is the full episode on Youtube yet? i watch VoD only.

1 Like

Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by mikkyphp(m): 10:48am On Dec 21, 2015
@Denn: is it a Celeb interview show there they MAY discuss about their cars?
I know the celebs are there for the ratings and Maybe the numbers, but which audience was this concept developed for? Car enthusiasts, everyday car owners, or celebrity lovers?

1 Like

Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by captalex(m): 10:57am On Dec 21, 2015
I want to see how they turn this around for better viewings.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by Denn(m): 11:09am On Dec 21, 2015
maxtamazin:
Very good concept. ...pls include Nigeria made cars too.

The Peugeot 508 was assembled in Nigeria.

The oldies too...Volkswagen beetle and 504.

We would try to get many more with future episodes.

Thanks for your inputs
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by LordReed(m): 11:39am On Dec 21, 2015
holacorp:

please be informed that Lagos alone is not Nigeria and that even in an eight hour traffic like those we experience in Lagos it is important to know that my car is efficient enough to perform without breaking my bank

That was just an example and the point if you missed it, is to relate raw figures to real (Nigerian) world experience or it will not be well received. Another example will be to say how well it would navigate potholes or how fast, fuel efficient and comfortable it would be on a road trip.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by holacorp(m): 1:09pm On Dec 21, 2015
LordReed:

That was just an example and the point if you missed it, is to relate raw figures to real (Nigerian) world experience or it will not be well received. Another example will be to say how well it would navigate potholes or how fast, fuel efficient and comfortable it would be on a road trip.

Mr Lordreed i am certain that you failed to comprehend my initial post. This claim is evident in your last sentence above.. nairaland is full of smart as well as dumb people please don't let me believe that you are among the 'later mentioned' (no pun intended) you can't criticise me by quoting me indirectly. when u talk of how fast a car is you must mean power and touque and if that's too complex to understand for anyone then the person should go back to school. I am here to learn as well.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by jesuscare4me: 2:27pm On Dec 21, 2015
Why should that presenter cross her leg and why is omotola name been mention severally on this tread
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by peterjero(m): 2:34pm On Dec 21, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Maybe not an engineer in that sense but he's a wrencher.

I respect that.

Jay Leno is an inspiration. He's a tv star and not an engineer but he wrenches so we have something in common. I respect that.

https://m.youtube.com/user/JayLenosGarage
That's what I'm talking about.

1 Like

Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by Chibzee2: 2:40pm On Dec 21, 2015
Couldn't watch the show, was on the road all through but I would say from the promo clip that it's a new and welcome development in this part of the world. Thumbs up @Denn and Co. Hope the full episodes get to be uploaded on YouTube so people don't miss out entirely. I must try watch the next episode. #Goodjob.

1 Like

Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by peterjero(m): 2:50pm On Dec 21, 2015
This call by Nairalanders to make it more Nigerian is uncalled for, that's why I hate Nigerian inventions they only see Nigeria, top gear, fifth gear, car and driver have world audience so they think international. Thus is been aired on DSTV so viewership isn't restricted to Nigeria even if it's of Nigerian origin. I want an international standard show full stop and I know they will improve.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by fishly(f): 5:33pm On Dec 21, 2015
Na wa for people.

First they said it was a TopGear copy copy. When the show started and it was about Nigerian cars, they now concluded that it was not up to TopGear standard.

What do you guys want?

If you are so good at making car shows, why not cough out the money and time and make yours.?

At least you have the 'wrenching expertise'

Some people are ready to pull others down just because they are not up to par on efforts.

Arm chair governors and presidents

1 Like

Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by LordReed(m): 5:49pm On Dec 21, 2015
holacorp:

Mr Lordreed i am certain that you failed to comprehend my initial post. This claim is evident in your last sentence above.. nairaland is full of smart as well as dumb people please don't let me believe that you are among the 'later mentioned' (no pun intended) you can't criticise me by quoting me indirectly. when u talk of how fast a car is you must mean power and touque and if that's too complex to understand for anyone then the person should go back to school. I am here to learn as well.

And don't let me count you among the NL smart-asses. Your initial post was mentioning performance test to display raw performance figures to which I am pointing out that these figures do nothing for the non-motor enthusiasts unless it can be made out in real world experience. Is a performance test done on a road trip or done on machines? If you don't understand my point you can always ask for clarification, I will oblige you.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by LordReed(m): 5:55pm On Dec 21, 2015
peterjero:
This call by Nairalanders to make it more Nigerian is uncalled for, that's why I hate Nigerian inventions they only see Nigeria, top gear, fifth gear, car and driver have world audience so they think international. Thus is been aired on DSTV so viewership isn't restricted to Nigeria even if it's of Nigerian origin. I want an international standard show full stop and I know they will improve.

Don't get it twisted, making something Nigerian flavoured doesn't negate its international standards or appeal. Top Gear on BBC was/is a very British show but guess what there is the American version and iirc an Australian version as well. Making something uniquely yours and making an international standard product are not mutually exclusive goals.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by holacorp(m): 6:55pm On Dec 21, 2015
LordReed:

And don't let me count you among the NL smart-asses. Your initial post was mentioning performance test to display raw performance figures to which I am pointing out that these figures do nothing for the non-motor enthusiasts unless it can be made out in real world experience. Is a performance test done on a road trip or done on machines? If you don't understand my point you can always ask for clarification, I will oblige you.

My comment is for those who know about cars ie the car enthusiasts as they are called.... there is no need for this red-herring agenda you are pursuing with vigor and restlessness. if you don't know about cars please don't comment, if you know comment wisely. and i don't understand your point beyond you making incoherent assertions. Please do me the favour of making me understand. then i ll applaud you......doyen of knowledge.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 21, 2015
LordReed:

Don't get it twisted, making something Nigerian flavoured doesn't negate its international standards or appeal. Top Gear on BBC was/is a very British show but guess what there is the American version and iirc an Australian version as well. Making something uniquely yours and making an international standard product are not mutually exclusive goals.

You're exactly on point and it's s shame that you had to explain it.

I don't need to watch a Nigerian show on AMG vehicles as an example. That topic has already been flogged to death on other international shows and most even before some of the cars even see's daylight.

Denn wasn't and frankly isn't still clear yet on what the show is about and who it's marketed towards.

PS: It's also interesting to note that some feel that unless you have glowing accolades for a post then one shouldn't post. Ummkay.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by fishly(f): 7:18pm On Dec 21, 2015
EgunMogaji:

You're exactly on point and it's s shame that you had to explain it.

I don't need to watch a Nigerian show on AMG vehicles as an example. That topic has already been flogged to death on other international shows and most even before some of the cars even see's daylight.

Denn wasn't and frankly isn't still clear yet on what the show is about and who it's marketed towards.

I have watched this thread from the sidelines and i must now talk.

You have been pessimistic about this show right from the start...even before the show aired.

What do you really want EgunMogaji?

Did you even watch it? You said from the start that it was elitist in nature. You already said it was not designed for people like you. Can you let the people it was designed for watch?

With your 'wrenching experience' what positive advise can you render?

1 Like

Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by fishly(f): 7:24pm On Dec 21, 2015
Very flawed arguments.

Because you have watched AMG reviews does not imply that Nigerians don't buy or aspire to buy AMGs.

Not everyone watch TopGear.... Me for example because its seems the show is just about crashing cars or doing stupid things with them. My hubby likes the show though.

If I can get a Nigerian flavoured car show that can show me features of the camry vs the Honda, won't it help my buying decision?
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 21, 2015
fishly:

I have watched this thread from the sidelines and i must now talk.

You have been pessimistic about this show right from the start...even before the show aired.

What do you really want EgunMogaji?

Did you even watch it? You said from the start that it was elitist in nature. You already said it was not designed for people like you. Can you let the people it was designed for watch?

With your 'wrenching experience' what positive advise can you render?

I don't consider you an entity worthy of my time.

Have a nice day.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by fishly(f): 7:31pm On Dec 21, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I don't consider you an entity worthy of my time.

Have a nice day.

You can scamper back into your cave then. Good day too
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by Denn(m): 7:38pm On Dec 21, 2015
Hello all

Please I am taking notes of all criticisms and commendations as I promised earlier.

The only room here is the one for improvement. It can only get better.

Thanks all
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by fishly(f): 7:50pm On Dec 21, 2015
Siena:
Fishly, wind your neck in a tad, and drag your head out of your arse!

When you make this statement:

What audience is the show targeted towards exactly - the Elite? Because that's what your comment suggests.

Every production is put together to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. How this show will be improve and grow will depend largely on how the producers respond towards feedback. If they get all defensive as you and a number of other subscribers here have, then the audience will simply dwindle. There is NO successful production if viewer ratings are poor. I'm sure Denn and the producers know this, and will take all criticism on board, both positive and negative.

Take a look at successful productions, and read critical views. Yes, even Top Gear that was in production for close to 40 years, was criticised, you may notice the format changed several times over it's production run. And it was (and still is) a very successful production with a wide, non-specific audience.

Out of the respect I have for you, I would let that first line pass.

So many people (including you) have commented on this thread. Many (including you also) have offered advice on getting better.

My grouse is with EgunMogaji and his approach. There is nothing wrong with critically reviewing a product or show.

EgunMogaji stated right from the onset, even without watching the show that it was an elitist show.

It was a totally flawed assumption as i watched the show.

The show started with a Beetle, a regular Benz and a 504 then progressed to their new variants in Nigeria.

The host spoke normal Nigerian English and not the forming things we now hear on radio.

At the end, they even talked about our innoson vehicles.

There is definitely room for improvement but not total trampling as egun has been doing

If you want to now support EgunMogaji and his opinion despite his negative attitude, then there is no problem, it is your opinion.

I have aired mine too.

However, if you go vulgar on me again, I would show you how nasty that arse could be.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 21, 2015
Denn:
Hello all

Please I am taking notes of all criticisms and commendations as I promised earlier.

The only room here is the one for improvement. It can only get better.

Thanks all

And I'm certain that you'll get better as Siena suggested by listening to all sides and making adjustments.

I think you're matured enough to note that I offer opinions because I care and because you specifically invited me.

It is in my best interest that the automotive arena in Nigeria develops robustly and a progressive show like yours has the potential to become is a welcomed development.
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 21, 2015
Fishly, I'll apologise for telling you to drag your head out of your arse, that was uncalled for, and out of character for me.

But, my views still stand, and have absolutely nothing to do with EgunMogaji's opinions. I have a mind of my own.

My views are based solely upon the comments viewers posted, responses from subscribers who get all hot and bothered if feedback is NOT positive, and the pre-air introduction. Like a good book, a production MUST be criticised if it is to grow.

2 Likes

Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by fishly(f): 8:14pm On Dec 21, 2015
Siena:
Fishly, I'll apologise for telling you to drag your head out of your arse, that was uncalled for, and out of character for me.

But, my views still stand, and have absolutely nothing to do with EgunMogaji's opinions. I have a mind of my own.

My views are based solely upon the comments viewers posted, responses from subscribers who get all hot and bothered if feedback is NOT positive, and the pre-air introduction. Like a good book, a production MUST be criticised if it is to grow.

Thanks Siena.

That's why I respect you.

Merry Christmas in Advance
Re: Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 21, 2015
fishly:

Thanks Siena.

That's why I respect you.

Merry Christmas in Advance

Thank you. Merry Christmas to you and the family too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The 2020 Toyota Corrolla (Photos) / Ali Bin Alua: The First Person To Own A Car In Kano / The Baale Of Akoka's Car Somersaulted On The 3rd Mainland Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.