Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! (1555 Views)

Florida Shooting, School Security Officer Resigns For Hiding During The Attack / Gambian Vice President resigns as Jammeh remains defiant / The Phone Ugandan President Museveni Uses Will Shock You (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by bigeagleeye(m): 6:08am On Dec 21, 2015
Israeli Vice Premier Silvan Shalom, a veteran politician in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's right-wing Likud party, resigned on Sunday following allegations that he had sexually harassed several women during his career. The decision to step down by Shalom, who also served as the country's interior minister and once held the post of foreign minister, was not expected to affect the stability of Netanyahu's government. Israeli media have reported in recent days that several women have complained that Shalom harassed them. Israel's attorney general on Sunday instructed the police to investigate the allegations. "I have decided to resign my position as minister and member of the Knesset (Israel's parliament)," Shalom said in a statement, adding he was worried about the toll that recent events might take on his family. Shalom is not the first high-level Israeli politician to be forced from office in a scandal regarding allegations of sexual misconduct. Former Israeli president Moshe Katsav left office in 2007 and was later sentenced to seven years in prison after being convicted of twice raping an aide when he was a cabinet minister in the late 1990s, and sexually assaulting two other women who worked for him while he was president. Katsav denied any wrongdoing.
http://news.yahoo.com/israels-vice-premier-silvan-shalom-resigned-state-media-180511088.html

cc: Lalasticalala
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by Nobody: 6:10am On Dec 21, 2015
At least he resigned. Some other leaders will stay there and justify what they did.

1 Like

Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by fluffybaby(f): 6:17am On Dec 21, 2015
In Nigeria, even if you have a video proof of the rape, they will NEVER resign.
Instead they will build biger thrones and higher walls to show the masses that the position is theirs and so shall it remain.
Besides rape does not count as a crime in Nigeria. The penalty is 6 months in jail or 50k compensation to the victims father (if its an underage person) in a regular court. While in a sharia court you get a new wife as reward for rape. If the victim is an unmarried female. If the victim doesnt agree then she gets the cane while the good people of Nigeria blame her for allowing a man rape her and the idiots of Nairaland will say she enjoyed it. Nigeria law is friends with rapists.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by Nobody: 6:31am On Dec 21, 2015
The easiest way to bring a man down is to raise woman against him. All they need to do is shout molest, harass, drug and you are a 'gonner'.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by bigeagleeye(m): 9:59am On Dec 21, 2015
Exactly my point..at the name of any scandal in a developed clan, the person at the centre of the controversy will just resign from public/corporate office. But why is that not applicable in Africa? is a cultural thing or the economy has its bearing also on the matter?
DrLikita:
At least he resigned. Some other leaders will stay there and justify what they did.

1 Like

Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by bigeagleeye(m): 10:01am On Dec 21, 2015
Even with a video proof, I tell you! smiley
fluffybaby:
Instead they will build biger thrones and higher walls to show the masses that the position is theirs and so shall it remain.
Besides rape does not count as a crime in Nigeria. The penalty is 6 months in jail or 50k compensation to the victims father (if its an underage person) in a regular court. While in a sharia court you get a new wife as reward for rape. If the victim is an unmarried female. If the victim doesnt agree then she gets the cane while the good people of Nigeria blame her for allowing a man rape her and the idiots of Nairaland will say she enjoyed it. Nigeria law is friends with rapists.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by fluffybaby(f): 10:04am On Dec 21, 2015
jcmaiah:
The easiest way to bring a man down is to raise woman against him. All they need to do is shout molest, harass, drug and you are a 'gonner'.

Did he deny it? So if your sister or daughter gets rapped you will say she is being used against her attaker? This is why men in Nigeria do not fear to rape our women.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 21, 2015
fluffybaby:

Did he deny it? So if your sister or daughter gets rapped you will say she is being used against her attaker? This is why men in Nigeria do not fear to rape our women.
That a group of people came out to accuse someone of rape doesn't make it true. Until proven guilty we have to consider the fact that its either true or false.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by fluffybaby(f): 10:54am On Dec 21, 2015
jcmaiah:

That a group of people came out to accuse someone of rape doesn't make it true. Until proven guilty we have to consider the fact that its either true or false.

So lets not also conclude that the women were used to destroy him until proven so. Dont you think? For all we know he may be a rapist and those women are victims fighting for justice too.
There are 2 sides to this story. So I wont pick sides.
So far I do not see where it is said he denied it.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by bigeagleeye(m): 11:27am On Dec 21, 2015
@fluffybaby & @jcmaiah..both of you are on point now..so why the seeming quarrel? abeg make we enjoy our monday morning with a cup of coffee, no cause for fight and if we must fight, then we must all be seen to be fighting injustice and oppression in all forms! cool
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by fluffybaby(f): 12:56pm On Dec 21, 2015
bigeagleeye:
@fluffybaby & @jcmaiah..both of you are on point now..so why the seeming quarrel? abeg make we enjoy our monday morning with a cup of coffee, no cause for fight and if we must fight, then we must all be seen to be fighting injustice and oppression in all forms! cool
Ok grin grin
I am not quarreling at all.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by Flygeriansteve: 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2015
fluffybaby:
You are wrong. Section 358 of the Criminal Code Act prescribes a punishment of imprisonment for life, with or without caning for rapists upon conviction. The main challenge is that the definition of rape implies unlawful carnal knowledge of a woman, without her consent... It is usually hard to prove that there was no consent esp where the rapist is in a sexual relationship such as marriage etc with the raped. Thus the victim is put on the spot and asked to prove that she did not consent; why she may not have screamed, whether she leads a promiscuous life, coupled with the pervasive albeit erroneous belief that when a woman says no, she may actually mean yes. Notwithstanding, the max sentence for rape is imprisonment for life.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Dec 21, 2015
bigeagleeye:
Exactly my point..at the name of any scandal in a developed clan, the person at the centre of the controversy will just resign from public/corporate office. But why is that not applicable in Africa? is a cultural thing or the economy has its bearing also on the matter?
I honestly don't know. I think it's greed. In my opinion, African leaders have the mentality that certain positions belong to them and their family. They won't step down when they commit crimes, they won't step down when their tenures are over and worst of all, they won't even do the right thing when they are there. Instead they just remain there and steal. I think the biggest issue is the finding the source of this greed.
I also think that when an African leader has been directly involved in the fight for independence or the fight for improving the country in some way s/he thinks s/he deserves to be on the throne forever. In his/her mind, if it wasn't for him/her you wouldn't be free. That's true but it doesn't mean you should be there forever.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by fluffybaby(f): 3:52pm On Dec 21, 2015
Flygeriansteve:
You are wrong. Section 358 of the Criminal Code Act prescribes a punishment of imprisonment for life, with or without caning for rapists upon conviction. The main challenge is that the definition of rape implies unlawful carnal knowledge of a woman, without her consent... It is usually hard to prove that there was no consent esp where the rapist is in a sexual relationship such as marriage etc with the raped. Thus the victim is put on the spot and asked to prove that she did not consent; why she may not have screamed, whether she leads a promiscuous life, coupled with the pervasive albeit erroneous belief that when a woman says no, she may actually mean yes. Notwithstanding, the max sentence for rape is imprisonment for life.

I know all these, how many rapists caught in the act have gotten this sentencing and howmany were encouraged by the police to settle out of court?
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by Flygeriansteve: 4:25pm On Dec 21, 2015
fluffybaby:

I know all these, how many rapists caught in the act have gotten this sentencing and howmany were encouraged by the police to settle out of court?
I don't have info on numbers but I know several rapists are facing the music. Awareness is needed for victims to come out with their stories and employ the services of qualified female lawyers or women rights protection agencies to plead their case. Usually the rapist is someone in a position of trust and knowing the stigma victims face from even relatives, it is not surprising that some victims choose to sweep rape under the rug and our irresponsible police advise so. Most of the injustice with rape stems from the fact that are not reported
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by bigeagleeye(m): 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2015
Usually the rapist is someone in a position of trust and knowing the stigma victims face from even relatives, it is not surprising that some victims choose to sweep rape under the rug, it is really unfortunate! Such is so prevalent and I think it carries a good percentage of rape cases, like even the one under review here! But in fairness, we still have other cases of inducement (unconscious most times) and seduction (conscious) from ladies who get carried away without counting the cost! Women/ladies some times send signal along routes that they don't intend tolling! (Maybe only men may get the picture of that better).
But anyhow it is, RAPE by any man is a sign of weakness and penchant for wickedness!
Flygeriansteve:
I don't have info on numbers but I know several rapists are facing the music. Awareness is needed for victims to come out with their stories and employ the services of qualified female lawyers or women rights protection agencies to plead their case. Usually the rapist is someone in a position of trust and knowing the stigma victims face from even relatives, it is not surprising that some victims choose to sweep rape under the rug and our irresponsible police advise so. Most of the injustice with rape stems from the fact that are not reported
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by ifyan(m): 5:46pm On Dec 21, 2015
DrLikita:

I honestly don't know. I think it's greed. In my opinion, African leaders have the mentality that certain positions belong to them and their family. They won't step down when they commit crimes, they won't step down when their tenures are over and worst of all, they won't even do the right thing when they are there. Instead they just remain there and steal. I think the biggest issue is the finding the source of this greed.
I also think that when an African leader has been directly involved in the fight for independence or the fight for improving the country in some way s/he thinks s/he deserves to be on the throne forever. In his/her mind, if it wasn't for him/her you wouldn't be free. That's true but it doesn't mean you should be there forever.

Stop this nonsense of polishing Africa continent bad.

If you think you are holy then vye for a political post and make your country good.

We Nigerians are one of the greatest hypocrite ever in human existence
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 21, 2015
ifyan:

Stop this nonsense of polishing Africa continent bad.

If you thick you are holy then vye for a political post and make your country good.

We Nigerians are on of the greatest hypocrite ever un human existence

I have not told a single lie here. Please direct your anger elsewhere. I am not 'polishing Africa continent bad'; whatever that means.
I was addressing someone who asked me a question. Maybe you shouldn't comment until you have read everything.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by ifyan(m): 6:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
DrLikita:

I have not told a single lie here. Please direct your anger elsewhere. I am not 'polishing Africa continent bad'; whatever that means.
I was addressing someone who asked me a question. Maybe you shouldn't comment until you have read everything.

Because of your reply to bigeagleeye.

You see we have a big problem which I pointed out.

Why did you conclude that I am angry.

Africana our problems is not our leaders but we ourselves.

Thank you
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 21, 2015
ifyan:

Because of your reply to bigeagleeye.

You see we have a big problem which I pointed out.

Why did you conclude that I am angry.

Africana our problems is not our leaders but we ourselves.

Thank you

We are corrupt as well. I don't doubt that and I am not saying that we aren't. However I believe that we are 'corrupt' because we don't have institutions that are strong enough to punish corruption.
Lets face it, most of our institutions do no work properly. We have leaders who refuse to build strong institutions for selfish reasons so we are left with weak institutions that give people the opportunity to manipulate the country/government, commit crimes, and get away with it.
How many people actually get arrested for crimes here? Mostly those who can't afford to get away with it. In our country crime is very profitable. The probability of getting caught is quite low and the probability of getting charged to court is even lower if you are in a position of authority or you can afford to bribe your way through.
I believe that corruption starts from the top and not the bottom.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by Flygeriansteve: 6:15pm On Dec 21, 2015
bigeagleeye:
Usually the rapist is someone in a position of trust and knowing the stigma victims face from even relatives, it is not surprising that some victims choose to sweep rape under the rug, it is really unfortunate! Such is so prevalent and I think it carries a good percentage of rape cases, like even the one under review here! But in fairness, we still have other cases of inducement (unconscious most times) and seduction (conscious) from ladies who get carried away without counting the cost! Women/ladies some times send signal along routes that they don't intend tolling! (Maybe only men may get the picture of that better).
But anyhow it is, RAPE by any man is a sign of weakness and penchant for wickedness!
The inducement argument is a big one. Whether a woman by reason of how she dresses or behaves can invite rape. I personally think to be honest, this is true. A woman can make herself susceptible to rape by her own action.

On the other hand if the argument is about what should be, then I strongly think that a woman should be free from rape and even sexual harassment regardless of what she wears or how she behaves. In some cases ive heard, the inducement justification was just plainly ridiculous. How can a 24 old rapist accuse a 13 yr old of seducing him?

In any case, rape is despicable and any culprit should not be absolved of culpability because of any inducement if that inducement is not outright consent.
Re: Israel Vice Premier Resigns - Details Will Shock You! by bigeagleeye(m): 10:19pm On Dec 21, 2015
The difference we desire for our generation will speedily come when @ifyan and @Drlikita are both resolute to see ds matters from angles that are different from their gender defense! We all have d tendency of swift action against tenets that don't concur with our natural instinct!
The challenges of the continent Africa are imminent and can't be overemphasised! That's @Drlikita's point and I guess that is in response to my worries about why our own clan can't brace against wrongdoings of people who hold public trust!
@ifyan is trying to discourage what he thinks is the penchant of African youths for looking&talking down their leaders and continent!
So I ask, which one of the two views is wrong? For me, the answer is none of the above! Both views are driven by same passion and possibly same goal! wink
On behalf of all other Nigerian youths, I celebrate you both and I guess you need to know it is imperative for the greater good as the big picture always! smiley smiley
So now both of you should please subtly take us back to the point of discuss without attacks or personal arguments! cool

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

London Terror Attacker: Khalid Masood Was Born Adrian Russell Ajao-Nigerian Dad? / Mankind Has Made Contact With An Alien 'galactic Federation'(Pics) / The U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Is Practicing For War With Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.