Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,290 members, 7,850,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:11 PM

Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? (6042 Views)

10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree / Students Caught In PDA At Babcock University To Be Punished - School Memo / Redeemers University To Suspend 22 Students For Not Attending Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by Nezan(m): 2:41pm On Jun 11, 2009
Nosa-Henry:

I can see where your 3rd class is coming from, there are series of inconsistencies in your statement that it will not take any judge with minimal experience one second to throw out your case.
Go and upgrade yourself and move on with your life.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by loftihopes: 2:47am On Jun 12, 2009
hello
my first post must have come across as sloppy . i was racing against time to make the post and so i didnt have the time to read over it and edit.
i want to know if a nigerian court can be fair and do justice.
so far justice seems to be "done" when the plaintiff is "a name" e.g a politician.

to clarify.
I started the programme 12 years ago i.e 12 academic years.
the class of grade is not the issue.
the issue is the time drain and the consequences from this loss.
if the university or department had done its part i should have recieved the result i'm recieving now,june 2009,in 2004.
But the department didnt do its part and nobody in the department even admits that its their fault that i've lost so much time.
They make it seem like i was "unserious" and lucky for them the have "poor grades " to corroborate their misgotten points.

The issue is not about me not checking my result or gpa,
after all to make a 3rd class u were doing sth. wrong along the way.
but in 2003 i completed my thesis , acting on available information and acting on the information i recieved i deemed myself a graduate and

asked for my cgpa from the exam officer in 2004 expecting to pick up the result the same year.

in 2004, when i asked for my result from the exam officer,the last computation of my result by him,was 5 years behind,i.e 1999!!

now here is a full time staff who stopped working on my data 5 years back - was that my fault?!

u can blame me for not following up on my result but understand that were talking about an information system here not a student's performance.
while processing of my data had ceased, oustanding courses i was owing in ,were being posted every semester ! this gave a notion of

seriousness on the part of the department.

ok. it was a mistake ,humans arent perfect. my scores will be gathered and processed .right? take it easy.
i took it easy. the dense clerk , took it easy too. so by august 2004, he was still
looking for my scores in files.it turned out that my scores that were not processed were in files in the department,some courses that were

regarded as missing,were
really in long forgotten files. some outstanding courses were "just" discovered,
and some courses were never "seen".

now this is 2004? either i take jamb in 2005 or i stay put for 2 semesters and complete this programme again.
i chose the later ,rather than put up with another nigerian university system and 1st degree again.
i retook 2 semesters to address courses that were missing and 3 oustanding courses.
. 2005 was 7 years down.
the HOD promised heaven and earth,the exam officer swore to compute my result immediately the last lecturers turned their result sheets.the

assurance coming was undoubtable.
march, 2005 : programme complete. the department had all of 2005 to compute my result.
what happened.i was expecting to go for NYSC in 2006.
what happend?
the ridiculous happened?
2006,march passed me by.
the department had exceeded its previous foolishness.
all of my results were completely missing this time.

The exam officer and hod lied,they said the senate was rejecting my result,
the truth didnt come out until 2007 -
the senate chairman - told me the senate had never seen my result before!
who's lying here.
the truth spilled out.
the exam officer had been requested to submit my "raw" scores since 2006 or so.
and he didnt know where my raw scores were .
remember that in 2004,it took a freaking 7-8 months to gather this data.
This data was lost again.or was i sabotaged?
finally, my result was recommended for approval,last year,december.

so in a nutshell,its coming 5 years late or 6 sessions late.
and to crown it all i'm no more eligible for NYSC ,i'll have to settle for exemption.
this is the consequence of a massive hearmorrhage of time.

I shake hands with mates holding down jobs.
doing their postgraduate degrees.

IN the future i pray for the best,but u can't rule out the fact that the labour market is saturated and employers have more stringent criteria to cut

down on the teeming pool of over qualified hungry applicants.Age is one of them . A lie could have evade the radar of a hawk eyedinterviewer

but an nysc exemption certificate will counter whatever fabrication i come up with - not that i'm intending to lie.

then i read cv on public systems.

a ridiculously long programme like a decade plus bsc is good reason to make a paper plane of that cv and throw it out of office window.

the universities image will remain unaffected thru all these.
what about my family.they hurt too. they bear some pain because of this delay.
A parent sending the child of to school in 2009 will budget that by 2013/2014 he'll be thru.
what if that original budget gets extendedby 1 year ! it hurts but its bearable.[2015]
what about a 7 year stretch [2022 ] why,the department lost his data!!
and to crown it all the department and the school think its nothing and try to put the blame on the student!?
defaming him ? if i schooled outside this country i wouldnt be still talking of a first degree 12 years after i started d programme!

then the expenses on the first degree, I've travelled every year for 4 years,
i\ve incurred some avoidable expenses and spent some bucks i could have used for sth. else.
its nothing, but budgetting 3 moths a year, making 2 trips some years and
pumping money like [50k] a trip
into the transport industry just to go "follow up" and "pursue" the processing of your result puts u on a treadmill when you are not

"working".
i've been doing this since 2006.
N1b too much!!!
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by OmoNaijaUK(m): 6:34am On Jun 12, 2009
Well, if U think you have points, U can take them to court of law. However, b4 U discuss it with your lawyer (who will be assigned the job), I will advise that U first discuss it with any mature lawyer in your family or friend family (or anybody who has some key knowledge about law and court cases)and examine the possibilities of winning the case before U invest in it. Your own lawyer needs money, he may not tell you the truth and will always give you[b] fake [/b] assurance in order that you may employ him for the job.

Be careful, so that you dont have double losses.

Best wishes,

Omo Naija, UK
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by shesi(m): 8:45am On Jun 12, 2009
@OP

dude you have to sue ASAP. don't let anybody talk you out of it. cus this is shyte. if you can prove even half of what you've just written, i say you have a very solid case.

sue them. if not for you personally, for the sake of future students. this is exactly why the legal system was invented. people should not be allowed to get away with stuff like this.

if the university is smart, they will settle before this even gets to court.

they've really wasted your time. meanwhile, they are probably still going about their business the same way and probably don't even remember your name.

as to what you do next, keep your head up mehn. someone tripped you at the start point but the race is not over by any means. some stumble in the beggining, others in the middle, and some at the end. that you stumbled in the beginning doesn't mean much. it does if you don't get up and continue. but i see you got up. good luck.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by Theblessed(f): 10:31am On Jun 12, 2009
No, you can't win! You see, there's no justice in Nigeria besides, the University would draw from all their resources (money, their status, contacts e.g some of the Big Wigs they know and who knows someone else and, whose almamater the University is - I mean, Judges, Barristers, senator etc) baby,  don't even think of it as they would stop you before even you could consider it.  Don't bother!
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by Nezan(m): 11:17am On Jun 12, 2009
grin angry
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by femimat(m): 11:18am On Jun 12, 2009
sue kee? for this nija? better pray to God for help!
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by cliveland: 12:02pm On Jun 12, 2009
@ poster

ur new post seems to ve clarified some doubts earlier created, however some pertinent issues have come up for answers, am taking my time to give u this advise as i ve been there before and incidentally am a lawyer, i mean i together with some other then undergraduates law students as we were then sued our school and won, the school settled out of court to save face;

1. u began ur program 12years ago?
2. u supposedly completed d course in 2003 when u wrote ur thesis?
3. u were told that results could not be found since 1999? in writing or verbal
4. in 2004, u were "asked" to either re-apply thru jamb or spend extra 2 semesters to "complete" ur programme, from which option u u took d extra 2 semesters. did u seek counsel then? no i supposed!!! was the advise in writing or verbal[/b]5. Hod & exam officer promised to get ur scores/results?? [b][was this in writing/verbal]??
6. completed 2 extar semester in 2005?
7. same scenerio occured missing again!!!! missing results
8. Hod & exam officer claimed the senate rejected ur results b4, this only came out in 2007? so what was their earlier promise for?
9. senate chairman, said senate never seen ur result b4? in writing or verbally?
10. exam officer has since 2006 been "requested" to send in ur raw scores? by whom? was request in writing or as usual verbal?[/b]11. results was finally recommended for approval in december 2008? [b]by whom?? which results

u see its so easy to win a case but yet its so easy likewise to be defeated even b4 u start!!!

in cases as urs u need a lot of documentary evidences,letters, paper documents, exams slips, signed course/exam forms, cos nobody was there when all this started and ensued till date, naijas bigest problems is that we never seek advise when we "assume" or think something might be going on or moreso about to happen cos we never intend to pay fees to professionals except the policeman who may detain u if u dont cooperate.

answer the above questions n would see where we
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by maxtop(m): 12:08pm On Jun 12, 2009
I think you have a good case but i doubt if justice will prevail.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by loftihopes: 5:22pm On Jun 12, 2009
@ cliveland
thanks for your honest viewpoint as a lawyer - i can see how complicated it could get.
I got into school via ume in1998 - i still have the jamb admission letter.
I of course have a copy of my bsc project,with the date and my supervisors signature and date.
I have copies of the letters i wrote to the Vice chancellor and deputy vice chancellor in petition last year.
I have my course forms - up to 2005- about 2 are missing.
my school fee reciepts are complete .
The request for the submission of raw scores by the senate chairman was official and in writing but i don't have a copy of it.
My parents were involved too.
My dad travelled down to the school 3 consecutive times in 2005 because of this result issue.
And were are all human let reason a bit:
what would keep a student for 6 years awaiting his result , 6 years after he wrote his bsc thesis!!! is it unseriousness.
also, if a student is unserious the information system should be quick to detect such a one and react in time whether to warn,place on probation or suspend,
only a responsive system can administer discipline but where it fails to do so
then the system is itself dead.

i don't know but , other students have suffered a similar fate but the matter has been hidden some what, i heard of a student who completed her program in 2004 but is yet to proceed for youth service.
Nigerian university ,when rusticating erring students universities give the affair undue publicity.
i'd like to give my issue the same publicity too-by making an abridged post of my plight in nigerian dailies and putting the universities name upfront.
i've actually been denied admission on the basis of age - age policy twice - i deleted the mails from my inbox.
the option to take jamb was'nt a suggestion from the HOD or anybody it was my own private contemplation.
the approval of my result took place this year,2009, My last course form is dated
2005 - why this discrepancy between when i completed the programme ," a second time" and when my result was approved?
secondly is the university operating outside the bounds of time itself?
meaning it can dally as it likes? then why do they penalize students for lateness-sometimes so severely?
lateness in paying school fees attracts a late registration fine.
lateness in submitting assignments attracts a fine.
lateness in registering a course attracts penalties.
if students can be bound and punished for lateness
why then should the university not practice what it preaches by issuing some ones result to him in TIME?
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by MUZBO(m): 7:14pm On Jun 12, 2009
You can sue but, successfully? that could be hard. They should have these law professors and SANs that would make you wish you hadn't. They'd also probably have alumni as the Judge anyway and don't expect he or she 'll recluse himself/herself.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by vislabraye(m): 1:32am On Jun 13, 2009
I hope you'll be successful in suing.Such things can makes make some one bitter. By the way, you didn't mention the name of the school or your department, I feel you. What some of these schools do would make you feel like bombing the buildings. I have heard a lot of things about schools. Missing results, inconsistency- in 100 level you might have a 5 in a course, then in 400 level it will change to 2. Worse case scenario, a person's profile just gets missing.

If you can find a very good lawyer or you have some sort of connection, it would be very help for you. I feel you still stand a chance of winning depending on what you can provide. As long as u are not fighting the Federal Govt., in that case the case is a s good as dead.If you were in a civilised country, this case would automatically yield millions
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by cliveland: 11:29pm On Jun 14, 2009
@poster

while am trying to piece ur plight together, it will help if u always edit ur write-ups b4 u post dem plss no offense intended, back to ur response to my last post, u see legally if u can obtain/grab a copy of any letter/correspondence thru whatever means its ok do it btw ur dept n senate or hod n exam officer laying any kind of blame on either person except u get it, d letter requesting the raw scores if u can lay ur hands on it would really help, cos i believe it would somehow refer to ur petition/case, if ur are really serious about suing start building ur case, 4 d records gather any form of lines on the main players, "ur exam officer n hod' if possibly tape future conversation with them,at this point,what they made ur life go thru, it cannot be equated to any financial bargain but i know it would swell ur heart to know u ridiculed the entire institution, n would still get a financial bargain to it, dont let any1 frighten u, like i said i n colleagues of mine did it n won, i can boastfully say none of us were from a notable family at that time but we recorded a landmark cos our schools lawyer in d case was an SAN n wellknown too, for the records just becos an SAN is handling a case doesnt mean he'll win, dy loose, n i mean loss woefully, not blowing my trumpet but i ve dismissed a case filed by an SAN, n at the time i got the file it was almost settled that he had won.

simply put principles of law's like a straight jacket however, how u wear it is d deal, its always a twist n turn, if i may ask can u paste ur written pertition here, want to know if u refered to ur lost years n d fact that u were left with no choice than do the extra years to bridge ur scores.

d spirit in war isnt ur strength but ur weakness, access them, which in ur case are d loopholes u created n d amount of evidence u can pile against ur school.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by grantefe(m): 9:46pm On Jun 15, 2009
I hope you'll be successful in suing.such things happen in our edutional system everyday'its happening to my friend rite now',and just for the seek of deterrance to other universities in Nigeria you should go on with your suit.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by loftihopes: 5:55pm On Jun 16, 2009
this thread is kinda dying out.
@cliveland
my department was Accounting , faculty of business.
wouldnt like to post the name of the school name but it's a federal university.
so if i'm to sue to court its gonna be a federal court that will handle the matter.
I don't really mind losing the case - the lawyer fees and so on. I can only afford a year at most.
after all , if i don't go court - i will still lose. just wanna have the experience.
And i intend to appeal unfavorable judgement at higher courts.I prefer to lose the money than slink away
as if nothing happened.
I'm talking with the department involved in posting graduates on NYSC and I will have to apply for exemption.
That may speak against me at a job interview where "age" is a factor.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by loftihopes: 6:07pm On Jun 16, 2009
@cliveland
i have a letter of admission from a school in malaysia contigent on my presenting my result (Bsc in accounting)
. I lost the admission ,which was into another bsc programme (Computer science). I have this letter which i photostated and presented to the senate chairman,to spur him into hastening the approval of my result.
The admission lasped,it was one of a kind admission and i was to be exempted from doing a foundation year.
i still have copies of correspondences with the school in my email box.
if i had picked up the admission in 2007,i'd be completing the programme this year,2009.
That's gone too.
I have a copy of the letter d the VC requested to write explaining my situation when i met him on the issue last year october.
I have a copy of letters i wrote in april last year to the VC ,copying the deputy VC .
the request for my raw scores was a memo in the hands of the senate chief, he didnt give it to me.
that's all i have.
wonder how well a case i can build up with these.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by ROBOCOB(m): 9:44pm On Jun 16, 2009
Dude, get a known lawyer like Festus Keyamo, N1bil is way too much. Come down to the millions.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by cliveland: 12:25am On Jun 17, 2009
CALL ME ON 0702-991-3487 lets arrange a meeting and formally appraise all the issues.

this forum's like dat, when am issue isnt above women, sex, obsenity stuff, u'd expect less comments/advise.

hope to hear from u soonest.
Re: Suing My University To Court: Any Hope Of Justice? by dominonboi(m): 3:43pm On Jun 18, 2009
Big nawah for the Nigerian Universities with their carefree acts, they never think about the career of their students all they know is how to increase their tution fee at the beginning of every session. I think is high time for the Greatest Nigerian Students to be fighting for their right.(But not in illegal way)

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Direction On How To Get To Unilag From Oshodi / Federal Govt Expose Main Reason Schools Will Resume Till Next Year. / Urgent: I Need Names Of Cheap Universities In U.k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.