Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,752 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. (3136 Views)

Brunei BANS Christmas And Threatens Muslims Celebrating It With Prison / [photos] Meet Sultan Of Brunei's Wealth, The World’s Most Lavish Spender / CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by publicenemy(m): 8:28pm On Dec 21, 2015
Oil-rich Brunei has banned public celebrations
of Christmas, including sending festive
greetings and the wearing of Santa Claus hats.
Muslims seen celebrating Christmas and non-
Muslims found to be organising celebrations
could face up to five years jail.
However the country's non-Muslims, who
comprise 32 per cent of the 420,000
population, can celebrate Christmas in their
own communities on the condition that the
celebrations are not disclosed to Muslims.
Imams have told followers in the tiny Borneo
nation to follow a government edict last year
banning celebrations that could lead Muslims
astray and damage their faith, according to the
Borneo Bulletin.
"These enforcement measures are … intended
to control the act of celebrating Christmas
excessively and openly, which could damage
the aqidah (beliefs) of the Muslim
community," the Ministry of Religious Affairs
said in a statement explaining the edict that
was published in the Brunei Times.
The statement said non-Muslims disclosing or
displaying Christmas celebrations violated the
penal code which prohibits propagating
religion other than Islam to a Muslim.
The Borneo Bulletin quotes imams saying in a
Friday sermon that lighting candles, putting up
Christmas trees, singing religious songs,
sending Christmas greetings and putting up
decorations are against the religious faith.
"Some may think that it is a frivolous matter
and should not be brought up as an issue," the
imams are quoted as saying.
"But as Muslims … we must keep it (following
other religions' celebrations) away as it could
affect our Islamic faith," they said.
Before Christmas last year officials of the
Ministry of Religious Affairs visited businesses
and asked owners to remove Christmas
decorations and to stop staff wearing Santa
Claus hats and clothes.
Brunei's rulers do not enforce the harsh
Islamic orthodoxies of countries like Saudi
Arabia.
There are no sanctions for women who do not
wear headscarfs and while the sale and public
consumption of alcohol is banned, foreigners
are allowed to import and drink it behind
closed doors.
But Brunei's Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, one of
the world's richest men, last year ordered the
introduction of sharia, the strict legal code
based on the injunctions of the Koran,
prompting boycotts and protests at hotels he
owns in the United Kingdom and the United
States, including the Beverly Hills Hotel.
The laws, which include amputation of hands
and feet for theft and whipping for adultery,
were to be phased in over three years.
But their introduction appears to have been
delayed without public explanation, according
to foreign observers in Brunei.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3369213/Brunei-BANS-Christmas-threatens-Muslims-celebrate-five-years-prison-Christians-organising-celebrations-warned-jailed.html
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by dunkem21(m): 8:32pm On Dec 21, 2015
angry
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by crownprince102: 8:35pm On Dec 21, 2015
Islam does not in anyway support victimizing others........
The prophet even signed a treaty of peace with the unbelievers.
Muhammed's uncle was not a muslim till dealth yet he live in peace with Muhammed

4 Likes

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by Barywhyte(m): 9:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
The greatest news for the planet earth is that our little old planet is not under Islamic rule. Thank God the united states and other western nations are not Islamic countries

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by thorpido(m): 9:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
crownprince102:

Muhammed's uncle was not a muslim till dealth yet he live in peace with Muhammed
Words like these contradict the actions.What are we to believe?

Anyway...........'And the light shinneth in the darkness and the darkness comprehended it not'.

9 Likes

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by ratchy: 9:09pm On Dec 21, 2015
crownprince102:

please don't start what you can't finish oooo

5 Likes

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by abduljabbar4(m): 9:24pm On Dec 21, 2015
grin
thorpido:
Anyway...........'And the light shinneth in the darkness and the darkness comprehended it not'.

And so what if you dont believe? Who are you? I dont know what these nairalanders see themselves as
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by abduljabbar4(m): 9:27pm On Dec 21, 2015
The title itself is misleading. According to the details, christians are still allowed to celebrate.
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by Brightology2(m): 9:29pm On Dec 21, 2015
D most cheapest commodities dis period are women. Kme n see d begging all in d name of christmas money
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by philGeo(m): 9:59pm On Dec 21, 2015
thorpido:

They are educating you and you are here confusing yourself.
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by thorpido(m): 10:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
philGeo:
They are educating you and you are here confusing yourself.
Do you even know what education is?

5 Likes

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by thorpido(m): 10:22pm On Dec 21, 2015
abduljabbar4:
grin

And so what if you dont believe? Who are you? I dont know what these nairalanders see themselves as
You should have asked yourself this question before quoting me.What difference does your statement make?
Wisdom should have told you that if you had it.

5 Likes

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by RealAdewole(m): 10:22pm On Dec 21, 2015
crownprince102:

Does this explained y iran shia are attacking nigeria

1 Like

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by crownprince102: 10:56pm On Dec 21, 2015
RealAdewole:
Does this explained y iran shia are attacking nigeria
are u using the action of a group of people to judge a whole religion?
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by crownprince102: 11:01pm On Dec 21, 2015
thorpido:

lol....... I know Adolf Hitler and Charles Taylor to be christians.

Does that mean Christianity teaches brutality?
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by ajoguegbe(m): 11:02pm On Dec 21, 2015
Christmas-that time of the year when Muslims feel seriously intimidated. Corporate organizations, government and individuals forget we are not a "Christian Nation" and throw fun fair and decorations everywhere to honor the prince of peace. The celebration is very important this year as we have had so many turmoil: Boko Haram, Shite, Biafra, etc; we need the Prince of peace to bring peace. If I were born a muslim, I would have long converted as a sensible person and possibly relocate as death threats will be the response of the blood -sucking religeon

12 Likes

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by crownprince102: 11:05pm On Dec 21, 2015
ratchy:
please don't start what you can't finish oooo
Give me a verse of the holy quran and hadith that promotes violence.

If u can't, we dont have business
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by thorpido(m): 11:15pm On Dec 21, 2015
crownprince102:

You haven't said anything relevant to the Op.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by crownprince102: 11:21pm On Dec 21, 2015
thorpido:
You haven't said anything relevant to the Op.
i guess asked u a question?

Is that the answer?
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by muaa(f): 11:27pm On Dec 21, 2015
All I see is nothing but inferiority complex

1 Like

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by Agimor(m): 11:28pm On Dec 21, 2015
Ignoramous country.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by abduljabbar4(m): 11:34pm On Dec 21, 2015
thorpido:
You should have asked yourself this question before quoting me.What difference does your statement make?
Wisdom should have told you that if you had it.

Chief
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by LadyExcellency: 11:36pm On Dec 21, 2015
crownprince102:

As if he had a choice.

You think Mohammed was the strongest of the men of Archery in his time?

1 Like

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by suxkill: 11:37pm On Dec 21, 2015
OK,so no be only seun sabi ban?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by Omololu007(m): 11:39pm On Dec 21, 2015
crownprince102:

please are you telling me adolf hitler was fighting to christianisecheesy countries like france,britain,russia etc or before charles taylor armies killed,,,they do shout IN JESUS NAME before they kill abi?

5 Likes

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by Omololu007(m): 11:42pm On Dec 21, 2015
Thank God that islamic countries are not the super powers of these world,,if countries like USA,UK,france,russia,china,germany etc where to be islamic countries....a lot of we christians for don die

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by harcole: 11:45pm On Dec 21, 2015
Is the Muslim faith so fragile that a mere celebration could sway it?

1 Like

Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by crownprince102: 12:32am On Dec 22, 2015
LadyExcellency:

As if he had a choice.

You think Mohammed was the strongest of the men of Archery in his time?
the treaty was signed as a result of plea from the unbelievers in makkah who feels the islamic community had grown beyond their imagination.

Reply my comment next time if only you are with fact.
Re: Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. by crownprince102: 12:41am On Dec 22, 2015
Omololu007:
please are you telling me adolf hitler was fighting to christianisecheesy countries like france,britain,russia etc or before charles taylor armies killed,,,they do shout IN JESUS NAME before they kill abi?
just hear urself.......... Does the sayings of a person actually tells what's in his inner mind?

I've seen pastors who raped church members and said it was an order from Jesus christ. Was it?

Name someone who fought to islamize other countries and provide a verse in the holy quran and hadith the support his conquest.

Thanks as u reply in advance.

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS Muhammadu Buhari- POISONED IN AMERICA "Pics INSIDE / Igbo Quit Notice: IWA To File Preventive Complaint At ICC, Collect Evidence / Boy Sprayed Money For Dressing & Talking Like Nnamdi Kanu On His Graduation Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.