Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,288 members, 7,836,274 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats (4151 Views)

Magnus Abe Wins, As Appeal Court Sacks All PDP Senators In Rivers State / Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today / Anxiety In Wike’s Camp As Tribunal Delivers Judgement Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by kcmichael: 12:18pm On Dec 22, 2015
The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja will today Tuesday the 22nd December 2015 deliver judgement on the Rivers State House of Assembly Seats.
Although some of the Lawmakers elected on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party had their elections upheld by the Rivers State National and State Assembly election petition tribunal last October, there are strong indications that the Appeal court will Nullify almost all the Assembly Seats.
Since last week the Appeallate court upheld the Earlier Judgement of the Rivers State Governorship election petition tribunal which ordered INEC to conduct a fresh election in Rivers State, Most of the Lawmakers seems to have gotten the signs of what await them from today.
The court will deliver judgment on the Appeals file by various Parties in Rivers State House of Assembly Seats before the End of today.
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by NgeneUkwenu(f): 12:21pm On Dec 22, 2015
if the Court sacks all of them today! The Fg will declare state of emergency, because WiCked cannot govern alone!
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by kolnel: 12:24pm On Dec 22, 2015
Ok
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 22, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
if the Court sacks all of them today! The Fg will declare state of emergency, because WiCked cannot govern alone!
I'm getting confused. Election petitions used to terminate at Court of Appeals except for Presidency. Now who goes to Supreme Court and who stops at Appeals Court.
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:59pm On Dec 22, 2015
kITATITA:

I'm getting confused. Election petitions used to terminate at Court of Appeals except for Presidency. Now who goes to Supreme Court and who stops at Appeals Court.

Lawmakers stops at Appeal court.

Governors stops at Supreme Court

1 Like

Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by gsport: 1:06pm On Dec 22, 2015
Pdp is dead what remains is burial

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 22, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

Lawmakers stops at Appeal court.

Governors stops at Supreme Court
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by NgeneUkwenu(f): 1:07pm On Dec 22, 2015
kITATITA:

Before it was like that until the PDP started losing appeals, and they selfishly amended the constitution to pave way for appealin up to the Supreme Court in the case of governorship petition.

So as it is now, The Presidential and governorship petitions terminates at the Supreme Court, while the rest stops at the Appeal court.

4 Likes

Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by ajigin: 1:11pm On Dec 22, 2015
HOW I WISH SO!
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 22, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Before it was like that until the PDP started losing appeals, and they selfishly amended the constitution to pave way for appealin up to the Supreme Court in the case of governorship petition.

So as it is now, The Presidential and governorship petitions terminates at the Supreme Court, while the rest stops at the Appeal court.
Perhaps it was motivated by Justice Salami situation. Thanks dear.
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by dustmalik: 1:54pm On Dec 22, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
I may be misunderstanding the situation as it could be. But here is my limited knowledge of the situation in case the nullification of the 23 lawmakers is upheld today. If i understand it correctly, a state house of assembly can't perform legislative functions if it can't form a quorum. A quorum suggest 2/3 of the total members. So, if the 23 lawmakers are sacked today, can the house still seat and perform legislative duties, given that 2/3 can't be achieved anymore?
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by Mc4larin: 1:55pm On Dec 22, 2015
Y
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by Okanokan(m): 2:14pm On Dec 22, 2015
Waiting patiently for the judgement, Particularly that of Victor Ihunwo, who lacks what it takes to be a called a parliamentarian, Complete Bench Warmer!

1 Like

Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by Demdem2: 2:14pm On Dec 22, 2015
dustmalik:

I may be misunderstanding the situation as it could be. But here is my limited knowledge of the situation in case the nullification of the 23 lawmakers is upheld today. If i understand it correctly, a state house of assembly can't perform legislative functions if it can't form a quorum. A quorum suggest 2/3 of the total members. So, if the 23 lawmakers are sacked today, can the house still seat and perform legislative duties, given that 2/3 can't be achieved anymore?

The house if majority of them is sent packing won't be able to form a quorum. It's expected that the HOR will resume that responsibility from abuja.

1 Like

Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by dustmalik: 4:33pm On Dec 22, 2015
Demdem2:

The house if majority of them is sent packing won't be able to form a quorum. It's expected that the HOR will resume that responsibility from abuja.

I see. But will Wike still remain the governor? By the way, has this happened before in Nigeria?
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by drshrewd: 5:13pm On Dec 22, 2015
its official those thugs have finally been sacked angry

1 Like

Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by ddippset(m): 5:25pm On Dec 22, 2015
drshrewd:
its official those thugs have finally been sacked angry
seriously?
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by Demdem2: 5:45pm On Dec 22, 2015
dustmalik:

I see. But will Wike still remain the governor? By the way, has this happened before in Nigeria?

Wike remains Governor until he exhaust all his appeals at the supreme court when he will be expected to vacate that seat.
Am not aware of any precedence like this because the kind of election that held in rivers had never been experienced before anywhere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by Buharidick: 6:02pm On Dec 22, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

pls save yo self of the hypocrite. the amendment follows Justice Salami connivance with Tinubu that led to the judicial fraud and the follow up in the sokoto state governorship election tribunal. go to school and read well u see the beauty of the cases ending at the supreme. come to think of the conflicting judgments given by the COURT OF APPEAL in Jimi V. Ambode against Wike v. Dakuku on card reader. Also, the case of Ortom of Benue and Kogi states senatorialelections where d senators elections were nullified because of none holding of primary election, but it held differently in benue where there was no governorship primary election. when the case get to the supreme court, the court will harmonize some of these bad judgment and take a decision across board.
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by babdap: 6:02pm On Dec 22, 2015
[quote author=kITATITA post=41238902]
I'm getting confused. Election petitions used to terminate at Court of Appeals except for Presidency. Now who goes to Supreme Court and who stops at Appeals Court. [/quote Governorship n presidential election ends @ Supreme court while legislatures election ends @ Appeal court.
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by Buharidick: 11:40pm On Dec 22, 2015
Demdem2:

pls, when u talk about quorum it has to do with the members elected and not the suppose members of the assembly. whoever that losses his seat is not going to b counted when the issue of quorum is to be determined. the members whose elections were upheld will seat and d quorum will b 1/3 of them.
Re: Tension As Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Rivers State Assembly Seats by sweatlana: 3:45pm On Dec 23, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Sanwo - Olu Visits Burnt Mother's House In Surulere / Ushering In 2021 With Renewed Hope - Segun Showunmi / Abia 2023: My Alleged Plan To Dump APGA Criminal Falsehood — Sir Udensi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.