Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Buhari Declares Free Higher Education - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Buhari Declares Free Higher Education (52359 Views)

Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC / Apply For The 2018 Nigeria Higher Education Foundation Scholars Program / List Of Top 25 Universities In Africa In 2017 Ranked By Times Higher Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by LANDOS4RE4: 8:34pm On Dec 22, 2015
May God help them to do it. Shout positive change.
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Nobody: 8:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
bigval:
free education is not the way forward now, we need to improve the quality of our education, maybe at a subsidized Rate.
I think tertiarty education is free in China, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Turkey, venezuela, for their citizens. It is not free in the US neither is it subsidized but all you need to attend university is interest and admission letter... Grants and loans are available without any criteria. One of Bernie Sanders campaign promise in the US is free tertiary education. So what is amiss in a president promising free STEM education? Must we criticize everything? Are we sick?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by DandysonRB: 8:57pm On Dec 22, 2015
The government schools all over the nation couldn't be compared to the Private owned schools all by Price differential, if free education goes to higher institutions mostly to sectors where practical/physical equipments are needed to aide their studies and yet there isn't internally generated funds to finance them, isn't this going to lead to further crippling of the academia sector in our nation because just infantry primary schools owned by govt have been ignored into the hands of PTA.
Common Politicians be realistic with us, we're not in Wonderland like Alice.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Nicepoker(m): 8:58pm On Dec 22, 2015
texazzpete:
The IPOB wailers are everywhere on this page. Crawling like maggots, insulting their betters.

Totally expected.
where are they going to generate revenue to fund the programme if implemented. Its free for benefiting individuals but not free for government

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 22, 2015
erusen:
really u must be joking.do u know the number of unemployed people in nigeria.so u want us to get knowledge and not apply it.sorry

Lemme break it down.

Education is important than employment because if Education is terrible and Illiteracy is high, thats a problem in itself,

Employment is not the only solution to unemployment... Entrepreneurship is an option.... But formal education has no replaceable option....
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Nobody: 9:07pm On Dec 22, 2015
what exactly does he want to achieve with thos policy? Let him tell us.
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Charly68: 9:08pm On Dec 22, 2015
The change has come...Awolowo concept of politics & economy ...God bless baba .The money is there but in the hands of the few...all the billion swindled by Dasuki & his acolytes is enough to implement this laudable project.
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by erusen: 9:10pm On Dec 22, 2015
Freemanan:

Lemme break it down.

Education is important than employment because if Education is terrible and Illiteracy is high, thats a problem in itself,

Employment is not the only solution to unemployment... Entrepreneurship is an option.... But formal education has no replaceable option....

and how can u motivate nigerians to get education without jobs availabity.In my state Edo state majority of all youths have formal education,many are graduates but have no jobs.Education for the purpose of education is just dillusional

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by fishmonger: 9:13pm On Dec 22, 2015
Our educational system needed to b reformed from p1 to 400l as d case may b. Graduate shd empowered to b employer of labour than bcom employee.
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Fulaman198(m): 9:23pm On Dec 22, 2015
What are all the haters and back biting f00ls going to say now?
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Ghost01(m): 9:26pm On Dec 22, 2015
meforyou1:
promises upon promises. All unrealistic. N5K for unemployed youths. No way. Free meal for school children. No way. And now promise of free education? All buhari advisers will rot in jail.
It actually is possible. The 5k is for some unemployed persons who the govt consider vulnerable. Free lunch for school children is also possible -- some states have such programmes in their public schools already. As for free education, all they need do to tick that box is to eliminate tuition fees for students in the sciences, technology and education in federal universities. Shikena!
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by BABANGBALI: 9:28pm On Dec 22, 2015
hopelink1:
I go use faces rob your head
he be like say you wan do Christmas for hospital ward
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by kings09(m): 9:28pm On Dec 22, 2015
U nailed it but all diz politicians knw d solutions n won't apply dem cos they wnt to continue 2 hv youths they can always use 2 perpetuate their selfish political interests
Joe4lv:
What a marvelous plan for the future though I know how much will go into this project especially free tuition fee for science, technical students in our tertiary institutions.

But,I think we as a nation should leave behind tribal sentiments and religious bigotry and think towards being a great nation. Invest in Aba made stuffs and have quality standard of international acceptance and help market those products abroad. China started like that and today the world depends on them.

Mechanise agriculture in the north and encourage agric processing plants all over the north with channels created for exportation to help generate income for the nation.

All these will create jobs instead of making tuition free and have junk of graduates in the already laden unemployment market with no industries to work in.

we are poor,yes! but we don't free education but subsidized ones with the hope of getting employed or having a policy to support our ideas as youths.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Nellypy: 9:31pm On Dec 22, 2015
Y this man keep on making empty promises. Apc call him to order b4 i loose my temper
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 22, 2015
erusen:
and how can u motivate nigerians to get education without jobs availabity.In my state Edo state majority of all youths have formal education,many are graduates but have no jobs.Education for the purpose of education is just dillusional

Chief, the goal of education is not to get a job. THATS JUST WRONG. The goal of education is to acquire knowledge and skills on different aspect of life. Using it to get a job is secondary.

I agree Getting a sexy job is now the ultimate aim of every student but that further shows how underdeveloped our orientation is. Education is for knowledge and self development... That comes first before job creation or anything.
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by cardoctor(m): 9:39pm On Dec 22, 2015
Why now? I could have had that in my school days.
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by akanbiaa(m): 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2015
LaurelP:
Promises and more promises.
Yet we see nothing
How will you see something when budget is just about to be passed?
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by christconscious: 10:07pm On Dec 22, 2015
Another promise.....non of the promised has been fulfiled yet....Buhari whether I like or not you are my president and I owe you my prayers to God to guide and protect you which is biblical and my civic duty but it is left for you to count your teeth with your tongue.
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by mubitechnology: 10:07pm On Dec 22, 2015
I just hear a new word dasukalize, but the promise of free education for tertiary institution I just hope they got it will .
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by wexyee: 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2015
meforyou1:
promises upon promises. All unrealistic. N5K for unemployed youths. No way. Free meal for school children. No way. And now promise of free education? All buhari advisers will rot in jail.
nairaland admit small kid now adays see livin proff ode. Wen did they do the budget? Wawa wait mey 2016 come now. Wailers wail witout reasoning

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 22, 2015
U sure say dhiz buhari no hiqh for katsina weed shaa?......wat of arts students??.......
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by daviscoal(m): 10:48pm On Dec 22, 2015
So, what next after that? Where is it leading us? How is he going to provide jobs for graduates who are already on the street talkless of the ones he's planning to offer free education?

Is the number of unemployed graduates in Nigeria not enough? Pls let's reason.

Just like Fela has said "na craze man be that o"

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Fulaman198(m): 11:00pm On Dec 22, 2015
toposi4naija:
U sure say dhiz buhari no hiqh for katsina weed shaa?......wat of arts students??.......

What does arts do for a nation? The world is great all due to engineering and innovations in science and technology.
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Emmytech1(m): 11:05pm On Dec 22, 2015
Hve we 4goten 31 december?
More promise ahead.
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by BABANGBALI: 11:11pm On Dec 22, 2015
hopelink1:
I go use faces rob your head
he be like say you wan do your Christmas for hospital
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 22, 2015
Fulaman198:

What does arts do for a nation? The world is great all due to engineering and innovations in science and technology.

Arts students..... Abeq help me answer dhiz quy......
......coz m' worried with dhiz quy's situation..... Can technology and science students aqitate for independence........ If not for arts.....dem for don padlock ur mouth.... Sell yhu go Uruguay
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 22, 2015
Fulaman198:

......coz m' worried with dhiz quy's situation..... Can technology and science students aqitate for independence........ If not for arts.....dem for don't padlock ur mouth.... Sell yhu go Uruguay
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by LADIbaba(m): 11:21pm On Dec 22, 2015
I think at this stage, funding the university and other higher learning institution should be of utmost priority rather than granting free education to the already populated tertiary institution.
The Countries that do this free education, lack students in these programs not infrastructure.
Its like putting the cart before the horse.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Fulaman198(m): 11:32pm On Dec 22, 2015
toposi4naija:

......coz m' worried with dhiz quy's situation..... Can technology and science students aqitate for independence........ If not for arts.....dem for don't padlock ur mouth.... Sell yhu go Uruguay

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit condescending it is not my intention. However, it is my belief that people who partake in the maths and sciences can easily do arts, however, they choose not to, because typically speaking, Sciences and Maths are more rewarding from a salary PoV and worldwide usage PoV.

The simple fact is that those who studied STEM fields don't realise how much power they have. The internet you are using is due to Maths, sciences and advancements in technology. The same goes for the Smartphone that you use on a daily basis, or a tablet if you have one. Technological advancements, Medical advancements are going to continue as humans continue to advance themselves further and further.

Keep in mind that building weapons (military aircraft, the avionics within a jet fighter, and the computer systems) requires a lot of math and physics. The head-mounted gear found inside of a jet plane to automatically shoot down another plane has a lot of high level computer science and physics algorithms (collision physics).

Everything is built around math and science. I can't over-emphasize it enough. Most people take it for granted and don't understand how important it is for a country to progress. It's the reason why India has the 3rd largest GDP in the world today. They have a plethora of engineers and scientists. Nigeria does as well, but many are abroad.....U.K., Saudi Arabia, United States, etc.

Buhari is doing the right thing, and only a f00l would condemn him for it (not talking about you really, just the ethnic bigots found in this thread).
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Fulaman198(m): 11:33pm On Dec 22, 2015
LADIbaba:
I think at this stage, funding the university and other higher learning institution should be of utmost priority rather than granting free education to the already populated tertiary institution.
The Countries that do this free education, lack students in these programs not infrastructure.
Its like putting the cart before the horse.

I agree that's equally important, but you forget one thing. Buhari is recovering a lot of stolen funds from corrupt former government officials. Nigerians should be thanking him, instead some f00ls are bad-mouthing him.

EDIT: Keep in mind Buhari recently laid off a lot of non-progressive people working at these universities. I believe that a reformation is in plain sight. The main is definitely a visionary. He has done more than Jonathan has done in just a few months.
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Cityguy: 11:34pm On Dec 22, 2015
quid:
Nice mirage.
Honestly
Re: Buhari Declares Free Higher Education by Cityguy: 11:36pm On Dec 22, 2015
ORACLE1975:
Next
As in 'next lie'? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FUTO Confirms Identities Of Students That Died During Foursome Sex / Father Wants To Beat His Daugher Because She Doesn't Know Mathematics...( Pic) / Top 10 Slowest Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.