Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? (37536 Views)

All Teachers To Write Professional Exams In October – TRCN / Masters In Electronics And Telecoms Vs Masters In Control And Instrumentation. / CIS Professional Exams 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by collele(m): 4:27pm On Dec 25, 2015
I am a medical sales rep in one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in Nigeria and I desire to rise up to the level of National Sales Manager..Pls which certification courses do u think I should do to get to that level....God's willing I will purchase a form for my MBA next year...

cc; xfire
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 25, 2015
You're very funny! Why seek counsel on Nairaland, where the vast majority might not have an ND. Seek professional counsel. Some Nairaland members are secondary school students. Just decipher what they post. For me, go for professional exams and become Chartered, before Master's. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by pete26(m): 4:35pm On Dec 25, 2015
NavierStokes:

A masters degree is your best bet in oil and gas at the moment. Gone are the days from the "great crew change" when there was a large knowledge gap and companies were pushing people up the ladder to full up top positions.
For a "millenial" an advanced degree would better position you for those "sterling" positions otherwise inaccessible.
Thanks bro
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Jchi9876: 4:39pm On Dec 25, 2015
adeaks:

Audit

if by big four you mean Akintola, Pwc and Kpmg these firms are basically pro experience with academic qualifications inclined.

To get management and executive positions in these companies since they are operational in Nigeria from info available to me from insiders in Deloitte and PWC most especially you must have reached the highest level in ICAN however for average and growing employees with basic experience they would choose the applicant with a solid higher academic degree and Intl experience compared to otherwise
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by ttmacoy: 4:44pm On Dec 25, 2015
There is no one size fits all. It depends on your chosen career path and your goals.

I hear people go on and on about professional certificates but in my opinion many people doing professional certification in Nigeria do not really understand how it works and are just doing it to follow the crowd eg doing certifications with no relevant experience to back it up. This is not the right approach.

Professional certifications are designed to complement relevant experience but many people do it because they heard Mr XYZ did ABC and got a job paying xx amount so they rush to do same ignoring the fact the guy probably had considerable experience to back up the certificate.

My advise research what is required in your chosen field. A master's degree may be needed at first and then as you have a few years experience consolidate with a professional qualification. In some cases a certification may be required instead of a masters. It's not a case of certificate is better than masters or vice versa. They both serve different purposes.

brianromel:
Dear Nairalanders

I have been battling with this question for a while.

For one who is currently working g and wants to climb the cooperate ladder. Which of the two is the best option to achieve this goal.

I have had a lot of people saying it's better to have certification via professional exams like pmp ican and the rest.

While for the cooperate climb up, others say it's better to have a masters. Because most companies consider that more before the promote.

But which of the two is the better option to help one via for better positions in a company.

4 Likes

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by NavierStokes(m): 4:46pm On Dec 25, 2015
saxywale:

Your post is confusing. A graduate can never be a roughneck, atleast in developed countries like the US, Canada, Norway or scotland e.t.c He would enter the control room or supervisory position straight. Or be in an office controlling those on the field with occasional field visits.
The grad with MSc has an opportunity to rise to management. But the guy with high school diploma and all his certificates would spend all his career on the field drilling, a very tough job with no career advancement.

A job roles of a driller is different to than of a drilling engineer. Highest position a driller can attain: Tool pusher; Highest position a drilling engineer can attain: CEO

Just as you can't compare someone with a Masters in corrosion/materials engineering to a NDT technician(even on the highest level+plenty certificates).

True nowadays most companies even require at least an MSc to get you started, Exxon Geoscientist's are required to have at least an MSc, Statoil requires an MSc and a lot of them. Like my earlier position, If one just needs a job, then a certification will be fine, buta top job can relatively easily be accessed with an advanced degree.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by ttmacoy: 5:06pm On Dec 25, 2015
All depends on what you want to do. As an accounting graduates if your goal is finance or banking a masters in finance may be a better route than an accounting qualification. I am a n accounting g graduate with CIMA qualification and I work as a consultant where an MBA is more relevant than the accounting qualification.

There is no one size fits all answer.

kingphilip:
I'm an accounting graduate and I think being an ICAN professional does a he'll lot of good more than the master's degree in the corporate world in doing the professional exams you'll be more exposed in your field due to the fact that you do more of the advanced parts of your course and keeps you upgraded in more field than one giving you more experience in many fields unlike in master's where you are streamlined to just a field in your profession.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by ayokunlei(m): 5:11pm On Dec 25, 2015
saxywale:

Your post is confusing. A graduate can never be a roughneck, atleast in developed countries like the US, Canada, Norway or scotland e.t.c He would enter the control room or supervisory position straight. Or be in an office controlling those on the field with occasional field visits.
The grad with MSc has an opportunity to rise to management. But the guy with high school diploma and all his certificates would spend all his career on the field drilling, a very tough job with no career advancement.

A job roles of a driller is different to than of a drilling engineer. Highest position a driller can attain: Tool pusher; Highest position a drilling engineer can attain: CEO

Just as you can't compare someone with a Masters in corrosion/materials engineering to a NDT technician(even on the highest level+plenty certificates).

well said.kudos
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by GentleNaaz(m): 5:32pm On Dec 25, 2015
sahm4u2nv:

Mine us Soil Science and Land Management ( 2nd Class Lower )
Serving presently
Its more advisable u go for MSc in ur field

1 Like

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 25, 2015
NavierStokes:

True nowadays most companies even require at least an MSc to get you started, Exxon Geoscientist's are required to have at least an MSc, Statoil requires an MSc and a lot of them. Like my earlier position, If one just needs a job, then a certification will be fine, buta top job can relatively easily be accessed with an advanced degree.
You are correct.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Dec 25, 2015
To get to the Top, ur Masters degree is required so as ur some certifications,
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by kclee(m): 6:24pm On Dec 25, 2015
kclee:
We need more experience hands to share more light on this

My first ever comment that entered front page....
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by PastorOla1: 6:35pm On Dec 25, 2015
IN NIGERIA SHA NA PROFFESIONAL EXAM BETTER O.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Alagba007: 7:03pm On Dec 25, 2015
brianromel:
Dear Nairalanders

I have been battling with this question for a while.

For one who is currently working g and wants to climb the cooperate ladder. Which of the two is the best option to achieve this goal.

I have had a lot of people saying it's better to have certification via professional exams like pmp ican and the rest.

While for the cooperate climb up, others say it's better to have a masters. Because most companies consider that more before the promote.

But which of the two is the better option to help one via for better positions in a company.

Hi Brainromel,

The answer to your question is not straight forward, all depends on your industry of interest.

If you are in IT/Telecom industry, my advise will be for you to get as much certification as possible in the industry with work experience to go side by side. Certification is cheaper and valuable. but if you want to work globally for any company and anywhere. You may need an advance degree from a reputable Engineering/Science school oversea. The MSc will provide you with t exposure and help you think outside the box which is more difficult when you are in the box (My box here is the limitation you have being in Nigeria).

In the Oil & Gas industry you have lot of people with advance degree (Msc & PhD) not everyone, I think here emphasis is placed on advanced degree not very sure though (Guys from the Oil & Gas industry are free to add or remove). but my take here is that if you want to competitive when there are limited position (Most especially at the top), you want to have the same or better qualification compared to people competing for the same position.

I do not have the conclusion for other industry, but my advice for you is if you already gaining experience in the industry you like, is to t gain a minimum of 3 or more years of experience before going overseas for study! Nothing can be substituted for experience ...

Finally, never use a company to plan your career, things can change for the company pretty quickly (Industry based approach is better).
A way to get a view into the existing trend for a future position in your industry. Is to look at a number of present opening for your planned "future positions" in that industry and get a baseline of criteria required for the position.

Hope this helps. Good luck! in what ever decision you make.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 25, 2015
sheunsheun:
I ve bin wondering if a person who possess a professional certificate also starts from level 8 in a FG parastatal
nope, starts from level 10 especially ICAN, personally I think professional certificate is better to get, no one's got luxury of time trying to get Masters from those hungry lecturers.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Dec 25, 2015
tosyne2much:
Bro, I'm studying Office Management at the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti
Haaaaaaa
U dey try!
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by sheunsheun(m): 8:53pm On Dec 25, 2015
VenusBetty:
nope, starts from level 10 especially ICAN, personally I think professional certificate is better to get, no one's got luxury of time trying to get Masters from those hungry lecturers.
Wow, how about pmp, hse nd stuff
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by adebayo742(m): 8:57pm On Dec 25, 2015
For me, i'll go for Professional course because it give more experience and intellectual skill works........ after the professional exam then I'll go for Master exam!!!

1 Like

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by pete26(m): 10:14pm On Dec 25, 2015
saxywale:

I agree with U. Which school and in which country will u advice for a masters degree in petroleum engineering.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by tosyne2much(m): 10:23pm On Dec 25, 2015
IHate9ja1:
Haaaaaaa U dey try!
Bro, why you talk so ? cheesy
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:44am On Dec 26, 2015
tosyne2much:
Bro, why you talk so ? cheesy
I was there!
Are you from Ekiti?
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 26, 2015
pete26:

I agree with U. Which school and in which country will u advice for a masters degree in petroleum engineering.
Herriot watt-scotland
RGU-Scotland
Imperial-England
Norway- UofS
IPS-Nigeria
UofA- Canada
University of Texas at Austin,USA
Texas A&M University,USA
University of Houston,USA
UND-USA
KFUPM-Saudi
You might want to look at Russia too.
Basically, most university or college located in a town/city where exploration and drilling is active.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by incrediblestev: 7:40am On Dec 26, 2015
If you are a young lad in I.T, you had better concentrate on getting professional I.T certifications first before venturing into masters program.... That I can assure you.... Nobody gives a damn about MSc in I.T especially when you are not experienced or skilled enough.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Deesquare01(m): 8:06am On Dec 26, 2015
Wow... Am still an undergraduate... Bt I learnt a lot 4rm pple's comment hia

Pls wot cgpa must 2 attain 2b eligible for Msc??... Or d so calld professional courses said.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by tosyne2much(m): 8:47am On Dec 26, 2015
IHate9ja1:
I was there! Are you from Ekiti?
Of course. I'm from Ijero Ekiti

1 Like

Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Emmaesty(f): 10:26am On Dec 26, 2015
Deesquare01:

Pls wot cgpa must 2 attain 2b eligible for Msc??... Or d so calld professional courses said.
Some schools accept not less than 3.0 for Msc.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by foriz4u(m): 10:28am On Dec 26, 2015
brianromel:

Thanks bruv.

I didn't know this was a common problem.

Hopefully someone with more experience can shed light on the matter and advice us properly
get both while u can.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by pete26(m): 11:24am On Dec 26, 2015
Deesquare01:

To be on the safe side just get second class upper (3.5 and above) cos most top schools require that, or else u'll have to do a PGD first. Just try and secure a 2:1. Goodluck
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 26, 2015
tosyne2much:
Of course. I'm from Ijero Ekiti
Wow
I finished from Cohest Ijero Environmental dept (hnd)
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by DKOKO3(m): 2:02pm On Dec 26, 2015
Personally, I think the two is good. The organisation you work for determine which comes first.

But if you're in academic line, Masters is highly needed and if otherwise, Professional masters would be considered as it directly relate to them.

Thank you.
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by tosyne2much(m): 2:06pm On Dec 26, 2015
IHate9ja1:

Wow
I finished from Cohest Ijero Environmental dept (hnd)
Wooow that's wonderful bro cheesy
Re: Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? by dbshaywhy(m): 9:01pm On Dec 26, 2015
Woah, wat a nice n educative thread, pls am a polytechnic student, studing pure and apply chemistry, wil resume for hnd II session by january. I av bn wishing to work in an oil firm like chevron, shell, e.t.c. Wat wil b ur candid advice to next step in ma career?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Investment Can I Start Up With 500k As I Just Lost My Job / AIT Sacks 300 Staff Nationwide / What Can You Teach People For FREE To Kickstart There CAREER

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.