Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike (15265 Views)

Electricity Firms Push For 100% Tariff Hike Again!!! / NLC To Declare Nationwide Strike Against Electricity Tariff Hike, Fuel Scarcity / Accept Electricity Tariff Hike As Painful Pill – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by emamos: 6:55am On Dec 24, 2015
The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) wednesday rejected vehemently the increase of electricity tariffs announced this week by the Nigerian Electricity Regulation Commission (NERC).
At the meeting of the Central Working Committee (CWC) of the NLC held at the Paschal Bafyau Labour House, it said after exhaustive deliberations, the union “noted the discordant tunes coming out from different quarters, including government on fuel subsidy removal and pump price increase”.NLC further noted that in other countries, products prices are falling as a result of the continuing crash in the price of crude oil in the International market. In our country CWC is shocked that we are canvassing for price increase.

According to the NLC President, Mr. Ayuba Wabba and General Secretary, Dr. Peter Ozo-Eson, the NLC, they said, “Re-affirmed its opposition to any price increase. It therefore resolved to mobilize Nigerian to resist any increase.”
They observed that “there have been discordant tunes from State Governors on the issue of the National Minimum Wage. Whereas, at one moment, they deny that there are plans to reduce the minimum wage, at another moment, they threaten to sack workers or reduce the minimum wage;
“The National Minimum Wage of N18,000 has been rendered valueless by the mindless devaluation of the Naira and rising inflation. Moreover, it is legally due for a review;
“It is a national law which no governor can unilaterally review. Oppose any attempt by any governor to reduce or tamper with the minimum wage
Mobilise all members of the Congress to any state that reviews downward the minimum wage or resorts to laying off workers.”

The NLC contended that “a 45% upward increase in electricity Tariff at this point in time with the challenges in the economy, which have adversely reduced the purchasing power of ordinary Nigerians and slowed down businesses, including manufacturing, is not justifiable.
“The electricity distribution companies have continued to exploit Nigerians by estimated billing systems for the majority of consumers, while deliberately refusing to make pre-paid metres available.
“It is clear therefore that the 45% Tariff increase is an additional heavy burden on consumers and will have a telling effect on business especially manufacturing,” they stressed.
NLC demanded “that prepaid metres be made available free to all consumers, and expressed disappointment over the plan by government to re-introduce toll gates on our highways and roads.
“Recalling the enormous public resources expended in the past on the construction and demolition of toll gates, CWC observed that the proceeds from toll collection were never effectively deployed for the maintenance of roads, but lined the pockets of favoured collectors. Convinced that proceeds from any new toll collections will suffer the same fate, CWC disagrees with the planned re-introduction of toll gates,” the NLC submitted.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nlc-rejects-electricity-tariff-hike/228771/

3 Likes

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by xreal: 6:57am On Dec 24, 2015
where is the electricity?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by fromnigeria(m): 6:58am On Dec 24, 2015
The move is protest. NLC self.
Them no sabi change... Protest protest since i was born undecided

2 Likes

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by oluseyiforjesus(m): 6:59am On Dec 24, 2015
Uncle Fashola let's hear ur own side of the story. Meanwhile this Fuel scarcity could be a blessing in disguise; some pple have been Mark 4 death on their way to celebrate xmas but the fuel scarcity stop them. Let somebody shout Hallelujah.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by dominique(f): 7:37am On Dec 24, 2015
BRF over to you.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by iteleaye(m): 7:39am On Dec 24, 2015
On a normal day, if the power supplied to my area was good, i would have said, make NLC consider am, but seeing the diabolic situation of power here, abegiii!!! NLC scatter everything, i get nothing to lose... Na kuku fold i dey fold my cloth now, so e no go pain me tongue tongue

Walk the walk with this lovely high rise prada boot...

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by Realdeals(m): 7:39am On Dec 24, 2015
No more monthly service charge. Pre-paid meter is the deal

1 Like

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by Demmocrats(m): 7:40am On Dec 24, 2015
NLC further noted that in other countries, products prices are falling as a result of the continuing crash in the price of crude oil in the International market. In our country CWC is shocked that we are canvassing for price increase.

Are we the only nation in the world that majority of there income is through Oil, why are we the only Nation suffering, even during the Oil boom some ijiat Governors refused to pay minimum wage of 18,000 now the price of Oil is slashed we are still hearing the same story from our Governors, why are few Nigerians controlling resources meant for millions, why can't our leaders change this country for good.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by FagsamPHP(m): 7:40am On Dec 24, 2015
k
Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by passionate88: 7:40am On Dec 24, 2015
Strike looms
Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by ichommy(m): 7:40am On Dec 24, 2015
I just dey look, They increase the tariff & no adequate power supply. Aboki this Change no complete again!

1 Like

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by mideactive: 7:40am On Dec 24, 2015
U'r only Wasting ur time,buhari won't giv u ppl bribe.NLC has lost it's integrity during d 2011 subsidy battle btwn d govt.n Nigerians.they're even makin matters worst by collectin bribe from state governors 2 avert worker strike.no one 'l ever take NLC seriously,in fact they are part of the corruption we want Buhari to help us crush..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by Seun360(m): 7:41am On Dec 24, 2015
APC scamm3d nigeriand. Useless Party.

7 Likes

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by eleko1: 7:41am On Dec 24, 2015
undecided who take dis useless"club" serious sad undecided?all dey knw is to bark like starved bingo sad

2 Likes

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by kolnel: 7:42am On Dec 24, 2015
The abolition of fixed charges makes it desirable
Or how do you describe paying 750 mandatory on an imaginary light every month
Nlc should fight a better fight

10 Likes

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by stanech: 7:42am On Dec 24, 2015
scam change
Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by ratchy: 7:42am On Dec 24, 2015
Seun360:
APC scamm3d nigeriand. Useless Party.
wailers are coming in oooooo

1 Like

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by chinchum(m): 7:42am On Dec 24, 2015
No point, they should rather fight hard to ensure prepaid meters are distributed at no cost, and the value can be recouped over the years. There are no service charges any longer on the prepaid meters.

6 Likes

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by TechWalker007: 7:42am On Dec 24, 2015
Buhari and Fashola have not invest one naira on power infrastructure since assuming office but they want to increase tariff.

The problem of power supply is that there's no power to supply, but the APC government is thinking how to collect more for power not supplied.

The removal is a deception, I did a calculation with the new tariff and without fixed charge, I realized it's about 20% increase from what it was.
It's a scam they're presenting us.

Awon Ole..

The juju that they used on Nigerians will soon expire.
Last last, they will be stoned by Nigerians in public.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by Ijaya123: 7:43am On Dec 24, 2015
The hike should be expected but I think the over 60% increase is way too much. A marginal increase would have been ideal. The hike has eroded the gains of removing the fixed charges.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 24, 2015
Make NLC go siddon jare, if dem don bribe dem finish now, we no go hear anytin again.

2 Likes

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by emmabest2000(m): 7:43am On Dec 24, 2015
Whatever...

3 Likes

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by philtex(m): 7:44am On Dec 24, 2015

1 Like

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by yougos(m): 7:44am On Dec 24, 2015
We should stand our grand on this.

3 Likes

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by dennisworld1(m): 7:44am On Dec 24, 2015
prices are suppose to reduce. Naira will keep crashing
Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by LMAyedun(m): 7:44am On Dec 24, 2015
ratchy:
wailers are coming in oooooo
May God rule your life the way the present Nigeria Petroleum Minister is ruling the Oil sector.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by Olajoy: 7:44am On Dec 24, 2015
our corrupt NLC ? FG gat their password.

1 Like

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by OutOnBail(m): 7:45am On Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of low life idio.ts. They've never spoken out against APC's ineptitude in resolving this itching fuel scarcity. NLC and APC are synonymous to the word "Joke"

1 Like

Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by emjoe1: 7:46am On Dec 24, 2015
k.
Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by gift1108(f): 7:46am On Dec 24, 2015
If only they will stand by it coz I have lost interest in all this talk talk
Re: NLC Rejects Electricity Tariff Hike by Bibby25(m): 7:46am On Dec 24, 2015
Naija my country,na only Naija we dey pay for service wey them no render to us,no stable electricity still them dey increase tariff....I hope this our so call CHANGE no go turn to somfin else sha...

God help us.......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Will Run For Ekiti Governorship In 2018 – Segun Oni / Jonathan’s My Transition Hours An Elementary Book Of Fiction – Borno Gov / Chris Nehikhare: PDP Isn't Not Responsible For Damaged Ize-Iyamu’s Billboards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.