Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? (20592 Views)

Top 5 Nigerian Soups And Their Health Benefits. / Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by DaJoneZ(f): 1:46am On Jun 10, 2009
Ok my dad's friend recently had an acute Myocardial Infarction

and was told to rule out Palm oil from his diet. My dad's friend doesn't have a wife as she died some years back, so I cook for him as well as cooking for my family, he enjoys eating garri and soup alot, but is there a way to still cook soup without using palm oil?

I made vegetable soup using Olive oil the other day, and it didn't taste any different from the one I'd normally cooked with palm oil, but then what about other soups?, as palm oil has a distinctive taste to soups.

All suggestions are welcome!  smiley

1 Like

Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by Diva1(f): 4:54am On Jun 11, 2009
Substitute for vegetable oil,
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by ifyalways(f): 8:10am On Jun 11, 2009
A friend gave me Carotino red oil .Used it for my egusi,dont like it anyway  undecided
Its cholestrol free and vit. rich.
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by Shentz(f): 9:20am On Jun 19, 2009
how did you right like that
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by bubblegum(f): 9:29am On Jun 19, 2009
hmmm,not sure
but it depends on wat u wanna cook
i guess vegetable oil is ok
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by ifyalways(f): 2:18pm On Jun 19, 2009
*Shentz*:

Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by TOYOSI20(f): 6:38am On Jun 20, 2009
*Shentz*:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Have u tried Extra Virgin Olive Oil, its real light, and has a nice flavor to it as well, smiley
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by zenatta: 3:11pm On Jul 04, 2009
Its not that I hate Palm Oil but I want to cut it out of my cooking. I am a wannabe health freak. Cos I want to see the 'redness' in my soups Olive Oil and such 'white' oil is out. I use plenty of tomatoes and red peppers instead. The resultant sweetness disturbs me but dont know any better yet. Also I keep my diet simple like african soups once a week.
when I go overboard, I eat rice with the spread mallam gives me when I buy suya, yeh thats me
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by zenatta: 6:42pm On Jul 06, 2009
Truth is nothing can replace palm oil. some foods are like that. But how about doing away with it totally. I have been knwn to make some soups without PO. It all started when one day I mistakenly picked up what I thought was veg oil to cook my stew. It was days later I realised my mistake, pot of stew had been eaten and appreciated

The soup without PO will definitely not taste the same but it'd grow on you.
It all has to do with our taste buds, which can be trained
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by Akinagirl(f): 2:16am On Jul 07, 2009
subsitute palm cream/oil with cassava leaf
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by zenatta: 10:39am On Jul 07, 2009
@ Akinagirl
Cassava leaf and fufu
abeg o its am here in Nigeria. I will, I must lose weight so I keep away from cassava leaf.

@topic
was just discussing with my friend. she is Togolese. I mention her country to butress my suggestion. According to her, indigenes cook with all kinds of oil yuk! (1) Palm kernel oil (might not be the same since its not pressed, don't know, won't like). There are two types of this, a whitish one and the dark one. (2) Coconut oil, mind you, this is worse than PO in saturated fat
How about the cream you get from banga. Will it be bad for him.
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by zenatta: 10:47am On Jul 07, 2009
There are soups that do not need oil. Groundnut soup does not. I have never made cassava leaf, it may also not need oil but pls boil cassava up to required time. Ask your Cross River friend; I hear there is a delicacy they make that does not require PO. I eat pepper soups alot cos of the non oil thing, not even a drop of Olive oil.
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by feasy1(m): 10:48am On Jul 07, 2009
How happy will i be if there could be a readily available substitute for Palm Oil. I lived somewhere on the other side of the Atlantic for 6 months and palm oil was not available, here i am again 18 months after living in the "desert" and missing palm oil badly.

Any one got a tested replacement??
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by Akinagirl(f): 7:24pm On Jul 07, 2009
Pepper soup, don't need oil. Use plenty of vegetables and fish, if you are not too keen on meat. With a lot of pepper.
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by spikedcylinder: 11:46am On Jul 10, 2009
Personally, I'm not a fan of palm oil and I have found out that if you wrap your mind around it, lots of soups and stews that people use palm oil for can go without.

For instance, as long as I can remember, I haven't put palm oil in yam pottage. My friends and even my mum think its weird but after I've garnished the pottage with shrimps, mushrooms, carrots, green peppers etc, palm oil can be completely avoided.  I mean, yam just has as much sugar, why add palm oil again? smiley
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by bsanya(f): 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2009
u can use groundnut oil instead
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by bsanya(f): 1:02pm On Jul 10, 2009
bettre still u can use melon @ least it contain oil
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by shesi(m): 1:03pm On Jul 10, 2009
hmm   , interesting. i'm quite suprised. it seems you make soups differently in nigeria. i didn't know that. well in ghana, no recipe for making soup involves any type of oil.

the way we make palm oil soup is cook the palm nuts, pound it to seperate the red stuff from the nut, and then add water to the red stuff and pass it through a sieve. you take the resulting solution and use it to make your soup. to actually make the soup, they cook the meats and fishes and whatever else first, and then add the palm solution last and let it boil.

this is kinda how they make palm oil itself too except they just boil the palm solution nothing else is added.

anyway, so you let the soup boil and boil and after a while, the palm oil rises to the surface. in your case, when the oil rises to the surface, fetch it off. and continue to boil. It is the extremely high bad cholestrol in this oil that rises to the surface his doctor is worried about. continue fetching the oil off from the surface like that until there is not much left.

What you are left with is pure palm residue at the bottom. paste-like kinda. complete with the taste and everything of palm oil soup but not much of the dangerous cholestrol level in the palm oil (certainly no more than any other type of oil out there) plus this is not oil, it mainly the palm fruit itself at this point. you can dilute this further with water until you get the consistency you want. basically he'll be eating palm soup. not palm oil soup.

btw, how do you guys make soup? i'm curious now.
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by zenatta: 2:04pm On Jul 10, 2009
@spikedcylinder

how refreshing your view is.
@ post
As long as you fix your meals with vegetables, leafy and otherwise, one tends not to miss some very unhealthy food choices. PO should not be and end all. Spices also help when one has to forgo a food type. Its all in the taste bud and one's  level of conciousness- the choice b/w healthy and unhealthy food.
but I am uncomfortable when I label PO as unhealthy because I know it is one of the major source of tocotrienols.
For those who do not have dietary rules, I have heard a doctor on Tv say it is ok  to add about five cloves of garlic for when PO is used to even out the cholesterol content and I do just that and more, ginger and basil .
@shesi
thank you so much for that banga cream/paste idea. I have wondered if I could that with other seeds when cooking. But is it not calorie-laden as most African foods?
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by DarkNight1(m): 3:06pm On Jul 10, 2009
I've seen cholesterol free palm oil on sale. That should allay the health fears, if used in moderation.
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by PurestBoy(m): 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2009
What about ororo like Elliot or Red Label? My sister used that last night and the meal was too gbasky!!
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by sley4life(m): 11:13pm On Jul 10, 2009
olive oil
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by mamagee3(f): 5:42pm On Jul 11, 2009
Water. grin
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by slimfine(f): 6:49pm On Jul 11, 2009
it depends. I will substitute olive oil mixed with paste tomatoes for red color in egwusi soup and ogbono but for bitter leave soup, I really don't know if this would work. or you could try cooking the palm oil for a while to get a clearer color there by lessening its cholesterol. best of luck
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by Winnergal(f): 7:19pm On Jul 11, 2009
reduce the amount of palm oil used-a tea spoon- and substitute the rest with sun flower oil . . .
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by ikeyman00(m): 11:44am On Jul 12, 2009
well not an expert here

why not use minimum amount of palm oil doe
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by Shridhar: 8:23am On Jul 13, 2009
Do give a try to the following if its available;

1. COTTON SEED OIL
2. GROUND NUT OIL

Both of the above have lesser cholesterol preferably " Cottonseed oil" which are helpful in the case of M.I. Patients.

SIDS//
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by sley4life(m): 12:13am On Jul 15, 2009
g.oil
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by ssosisi: 5:02am On Jul 18, 2009
If you live here in the USA,the Ola Ola palm oil sold at African food stores has no cholesterol(but doesn't taste the same )
It's not too bad though.

alternatively some extra virgin olive oil and some tomato for the red color.
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 30, 2009
use coconut oil lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by Fhemmmy: 5:50pm On Sep 01, 2009
Veggie Oil
Re: What Can I Use To Replace Palm Oil In Soups? by Pataki: 12:14am On Sep 02, 2009
Nothing replaces palm oil for me. Back in my earlier bachelorhood days, I use palm oil. These days, I use groundnut oil. Depends on me mood though and what I have available at the moment and whether I got visitors (females) coming to visit moi.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Health Benefits Of Eating More Vegetables / Ofe Nsala Soup: How To Prepare Delicious Ofe Nsala Soup With Goat Meat / The Official Nairaland Kitchen Pt. 2!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.