Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,152 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts (17453 Views)

How To Reduce The Risk Of Food Poisoning / In Kebbi, 71 Schoolgirls Hospitalised Over Food Poisoning / Man Finds Dead Rat In Grilled Full Chicken He Purchased...(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by catchfun: 11:46am On Dec 24, 2015
Christmas is definitely in the air. You only need to go to the nearest market in your neighbourhood to know that a lot of shopping is going on in preparation for the feasting on Friday.
However, as you plan to cook tomorrow, don’t buy meat that has been fattened with hormones and genetically modified feeds.
One of such meat is chicken. Nutritionists say that when it comes to buying a healthy chicken, it is better to buy organic farm animals.
Organic or free-ranged animals are fed only with naturally grown feed and plant sources. Also, organic animals cannot be given hormones or medical pills. These animals are treated differently from factory-farmed animals.
Organic farm animals include cows, pigs, chickens, and turkey that are fed only grass and other organic feeds. Nutritionists say that such meat reduces ones risk of food poisoning and infections.
According to them, organic animals are usually very healthy because they are fed with naturally grown foods.
Explaining why they are better than factory-reared animals, nutritionist and dietician, Dr. Segun Alonge, says that since free-ranged chickens are not fed with antibiotics, artificial hormones, or the bovine human growth hormone, otherwise known as rbGH, and they do not eat genetically modified foods nor have their genes modified, they contain natural nutrients that are safe for the body.
Alonge notes that organic beef, poultry and more also contain no pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, chemical or synthetic fertilisers, nitrates, nitrates or preservatives that can harm the body.
He adds, “It’s not filled with toxins, chemicals, and drugs. All meat contains fat. And much like your body, fat on animals is where toxins are stored. Hence, growth hormones and antibiotics fed to cows and chickens end up in their fat.
“Eating organic meat and poultry decreases your risk of being exposed to residues of pesticides and synthetic chemicals, such as DDT, PCBs, dioxin, and more, which end up concentrated in animal fat. Such chemicals can contribute to a number of health problems, including excess weight gain and other infections.”
Also, studies show that animals, especially poultry fed with grass, contain higher levels of conjugated linoleic acid and omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
The American Nutritionist Society, in a report titled ‘Go Organic’, states that grass-fed animals, otherwise known as free-ranged animals, have two to four times more omega-3 fatty acids than meat from grain-fed animals.
It states,“ Omega-3s are called “good fats” because they play a vital role in every cell and system in your body.
For example, of all the fats, they are the most heart-friendly. People who have ample amounts of omega-3s in their diets are less likely to have high blood pressure or an irregular heartbeat.
“Remarkably, they are 50 per cent less likely to suffer a heart attack.Omega-3s are essential for your brain as well. People with a diet rich in omega-3s are less likely to suffer from depression, schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder (hyperactivity), or Alzheimer’s disease.”
The ANS notes that since organic animals are reared under ethical and conducive conditions, their meat is less likely to be infected when compared to infection rates in factory-raised animals.
“Factory-farmed animals live in feedlots that prevent normal growth and development. Infections spread faster among animals that are grown in a caged environment. The chances of spreading infections in organically raised animals is minimal because they get to experience the outdoors grazing on grass and wandering freely on the farm,” it adds.
Factory-farmed animals could also make you sick. Alonge states that to reduce your chances of contracting food-borne diseases through meat, buy and eat organic animals
.Lalasticlala,seun
http://www.punchng.com/avoid-hormone-fed-chicken-this-christmas/

3 Likes

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Kingzy4pep(m): 1:06pm On Dec 24, 2015
Never expected that I will occupy this FTC position because you guys are just too fast in typing your comments.... But today, I made it.

I'm using this opportunity to wish all nairalanders a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous 2016.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Elipsis: 1:06pm On Dec 24, 2015
In summary, local chicken is better than Agric fowl.

Street has taken over grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by godoluwa(m): 1:06pm On Dec 24, 2015
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by ismyheal75: 1:06pm On Dec 24, 2015
Really?
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by WisdomTank: 1:06pm On Dec 24, 2015
#TeamGoatMeat nothing concern me and chicken this Xmas season. Lol..

Check out my signature for your POP ceiling, Wall Screeding and Pillar design

1 Like

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Nwogbe: 1:06pm On Dec 24, 2015
OK.
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
TFC Mr Biggs and Chicken Republic sef
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by khaz(m): 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
To all Muslim brothers nd Sisters. .. I say: Happy Eid el Maulud celebration. ... May Almighty Allah continue to bless us all... Nd increase us in Faith!

11 Likes

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Kelklein(m): 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
All those scientific 'jargons' explained above by the experts still don't answer the question

'How do we identify a hormone-fed chicken?'

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Toeyoursea(m): 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
For real Mehn ? shocked
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Joeyy(m): 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
How can one identify hormone fed chickens?

2 Likes

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by osch10: 1:08pm On Dec 24, 2015
Like seriously? kissLike seriously?
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by destinychildolu(m): 1:08pm On Dec 24, 2015
HOW many local chickens can We produce?

1 Like

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Psalm18: 1:08pm On Dec 24, 2015
Very true.
Eat organic products if you can..

Agric chickens as we call the ones raised with antibiotics have been shown to cause antibiotic resistance when consumed by humans.

The dangers of this is therefore, you may fall sick and antibiotics prescribed for you won't work.
Or after surgery, you don't heal from infections easily due to antibiotic resistance.
Cows and other meats are no exception.

2 Likes

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by abumeinben(m): 1:08pm On Dec 24, 2015
Fawoh wey we dey chop since we small...wey we dey feed with rice, eba, groundnut, dawadawa, coke....make sense fawoh o....now one group go come out from northern Russia in the name of expert, go con say our fawoh get epilepsy..

Bekiafu o

4 Likes

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by dontali(m): 1:09pm On Dec 24, 2015
We hear,
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by pat077: 1:09pm On Dec 24, 2015
if i hear.... Say make i no chop my broiler.
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by ladyF(f): 1:09pm On Dec 24, 2015
Let us stop this animal brutality, it's just not fair.

We need more #TeamVeg

Guess who is here again grin grin grin
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by goshen26: 1:09pm On Dec 24, 2015
Ok
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Pavore9: 1:10pm On Dec 24, 2015
Am off chicken, Rabbit meat it is!

1 Like

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by iteleaye(m): 1:11pm On Dec 24, 2015
Op, please dont kill my joy... Why dis topic no commot 5months ago, now wey i don file my belle for 2mrw, u come dey advice me... I CHOOSE to IGNORE... grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by 3rdlegxxx(m): 1:11pm On Dec 24, 2015
Fattened Chicken, oooooo just when i was thinking of eating the best chicken all through this christian, now this, i would pretend i was never here and never read this.. angry grin
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by iykebest1(m): 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
Chicken na chicken
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by plainmirror(m): 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
Therfore I should prepare my Xmas stew with okuko-igbo akwaya?

Op you and that expert can't refuse a well spiced 'inorganic' chicken lap.

grin

3 Likes

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by NobleAngell(f): 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
Stories that touch.
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Psalm18: 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
Kelklein:
[color=red] All those scientific 'jargons' explained above by the experts still don't answer the question

'How do we identify a hormone-fed chicken?'[/red]

Buy from rural farmers or raise your own chicken.

Or simply when you go to the market, ask for local chicken.
You can also identify agric chicken( which this article also calls hormone fed) by sight.
Most times,not always they look plumby and slow.

2 Likes

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Tundiano(m): 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
K
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by Onegai(f): 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
So how does one know an organic-farmed chicken? Are all the chickens sold in markets not from agric farms?
Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by killercute16(m): 1:13pm On Dec 24, 2015
How can we identify them physically?

1 Like

Re: Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts by miqos02(m): 1:14pm On Dec 24, 2015
ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Contemporary Step-by-step Guide To Food Export Business / Craziest Animal Meat You've Eaten? / Where To Buy Peppery, Tasty And Crunchy Kuli Kuli In Lagos State Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.