Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,945 members, 7,810,617 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Help Needed With My Benz Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Needed With My Benz Car (1287 Views)

A Kenyan Converts Nissan Fuga Car Into A Mercedes Benz Car / New Benz Car Burnt In Kano State (Pics) / Please Help Problem With My Benz C 200 2008model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed With My Benz Car by oieda: 2:19pm On Dec 24, 2015
Model - Mercedes Benz 220 v boot

Problem -
The car just goes off on its own when in motion or static at random times.
The spark plugs are okay. The relay is okay. Even tried direct connections instead of using the relay. Same problem

Gurus in the house please help

Cc Siena
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by ivoryhouse(m): 2:21pm On Dec 24, 2015
Run diagnostics (scan) and bring the codes here. It will be good to furnish us with car details, year of manufacture, engine size, etc
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by oieda: 2:44pm On Dec 24, 2015
ivoryhouse:
Run diagnostics (scan) and bring the codes here. It will be good to furnish us with car details, year of manufacture, engine size, etc

Okay sir. Just a moment
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by Denn(m): 3:45pm On Dec 24, 2015
oieda:

Okay sir. Just a moment

Hello.

How do u intend to run a scan on a w124? A v booth?
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by Denn(m): 3:52pm On Dec 24, 2015
Fuel, Air, Spark

Check to ensure your fuel pump is good.

Is the car an injector or carb? If carb, get it cleaned up with carb cleaner off the engine...not just spraying whilst running.

Check your throttle. Get it cleaned and adjusted to allow idle

Check for vacumm leaks. Spray little bursts of carb cleaner all around the carb and hose joints.

Is it an ignition system with contact set or a breakerless system?

There is a wire called 'the green wire'. Hope it is not damaged and fully secure.

Ensure your ignition control unit by Bosch is still OK. No water ingress etc

Do you have an air filter in place? Ensure the air filter is clean and in place. If not, it could have sucked in a whole universe of gunk.

Your spark plug wires must be okay and securely connected.

Kindly revert after troubleshooting with these steps. A picture of the engine bay would help a lot

3 Likes

Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by lonelydora: 3:43am On Dec 25, 2015
Car specification needed.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by BOUNTYDOG(m): 8:49am On Dec 25, 2015
If your v boot uses the small brain box,and has green wire connected to ur ingnition cup.mostly seen in most manual carb engine,
Then change the brainbox,no let any kazeem use u trouble shoot and make sure u get a good brainbox not more than 4k.

Thank me later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by oieda: 10:49pm On Dec 25, 2015
Thank you Denn bountydog
I'd look into all of those. I will also send a picture of the engine bay

Ivoryhouse and lonelydora I'm no so much of a car guru I may just send a pic. Thanks.
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by oieda: 1:36pm On Dec 27, 2015
Pictures

Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by oieda: 1:27pm On Jan 02, 2016
Denn:
Fuel, Air, Spark

Check to ensure your fuel pump is good.

Is the car an injector or carb? If carb, get it cleaned up with carb cleaner off the engine...not just spraying whilst running.

Check your throttle. Get it cleaned and adjusted to allow idle

Check for vacumm leaks. Spray little bursts of carb cleaner all around the carb and hose joints.

Is it an ignition system with contact set or a breakerless system?

There is a wire called 'the green wire'. Hope it is not damaged and fully secure.

Ensure your ignition control unit by Bosch is still OK. No water ingress etc

Do you have an air filter in place? Ensure the air filter is clean and in place. If not, it could have sucked in a whole universe of gunk.

Your spark plug wires must be okay and securely connected.

Kindly revert after troubleshooting with these steps. A picture of the engine bay would help a lot

Please check out the pictures I added.
cc bountydog lonlydora ivoryhouse

Thanks again
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by PapiWata: 1:40pm On Jan 02, 2016
The symptoms you are describing could be brought about by degradation of the insulation used on the electrical wiring loom of many Mercedes Benz cars manufactured between 1992 and 1996, when your W124 car was manufactured.

You may in the end have to replace the ENTIRE wiring harness for your engine to solve this problem. To verify whether or not the wiring harness of your car has been replaced before you bought the vehicle, look under the hood (bonnet), where the wires go into the battery compartment on the left side as you face the engine from the front. If you do NOT see a label that reads "Delphi", then the wires have NOT been replaced, and you will need to do so in order to solve the problem the car has now, and to prevent a host of other issues that will certainly crop up as further deterioration of the wiring insulation occurs over time.
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by Denn(m): 1:51pm On Jan 02, 2016
oieda:

Please check out the pictures I added.
cc bountydog lonlydora ivoryhouse

Thanks again

This is why it is good to upload pictures.

Your car is a newer model w124 with the modern m111 engine.

It is an injector and not a carb.

PS: Papiwata is right. MB opted for what is called 'biodegradable wiring harness' at a point. These wires break down after exposure to heat. You can replace the engine wire harness then replace the shorted components.
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by oieda: 9:33pm On Jan 02, 2016
PapiWata:
The symptoms you are describing could be brought about by degradation of the insulation used on the electrical wiring loom of many Mercedes Benz cars manufactured between 1992 and 1996, when your W124 car was manufactured.

You may in the end have to replace the ENTIRE wiring harness for your engine to solve this problem. To verify whether or not the wiring harness of your car has been replaced before you bought the vehicle, look under the hood (bonnet), where the wires go into the battery compartment on the left side as you face the engine from the front. If you do NOT see a label that reads "Delphi", then the wires have NOT been replaced, and you will need to do so in order to solve the problem the car has now, and to prevent a host of other issues that will certainly crop up as further deterioration of the wiring insulation occurs over time.

Thank you sir. Will look into this
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by oieda: 9:34pm On Jan 02, 2016
Denn:

This is why it is good to upload pictures.

Your car is a newer model w124 with the modern m111 engine.

It is an injector and not a carb.

PS: Papiwata is right. MB opted for what is called 'biodegradable wiring harness' at a point. These wires break down after exposure to heat. You can replace the engine wire harness then replace the shorted components.

Thank you sir. Will look into this.
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by PapiWata: 10:29am On Jan 03, 2016
oieda:

Thank you sir. Will look into this

You are welcome. Kindly alert me if my suggestion gets your car running, so that I can forward my banking details to facilitate your consultancy fee payment, bearing in mind that naira remittances can no longer be accepted due to the falling exchange rates.
Re: Help Needed With My Benz Car by oieda: 10:59am On Jan 03, 2016
PapiWata:

You are welcome. Kindly alert me if my suggestion gets your car running, so that I can forward my banking details to facilitate your consultancy fee payment, bearing in mind that naira remittances can no longer be accepted due to the falling exchange rates.

grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Help,help, Help! Was I Duped? Mercedes Lovers / Honda Eod Or Tiny Light/big Daddy Camry...please Help..gazzuz And Sienna Etc / Nissan Pathfinder 2001 Model at 650k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.