Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,356 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

How To Write Magnetic Headlines - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Write Magnetic Headlines (430 Views)

7 Types Of Post To Write That Increases Blog Traffic / 10 Powerful Headlines To Drive Targeted Organic Traffic To Your Website (WATCH) / 5 Amazing Ways To Write Interesting Blog Post Topics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Write Magnetic Headlines by KoboUP(m): 4:26pm On Dec 25, 2015
You spend hours writing exceptionally good content, but how much time do you spend focusing on crafting the perfect headline? Chances are not enough time.

The most important part of writing an article is the headline. The same principle applies to blog posts, book chapters, and so on: The title is where your focus should be. You should begin and end every article with the question: “Would this make me want to read on?”

If not, don’t publish until you’ve got a catchy headline. Concentrate on this, and you’ll get more readers, more buzz, and more love. The better your headline, the better your odds of beating the averages and getting what you’ve written read by a larger percentage of people.

How to write Magnetic headlines
Too often the headline is the most neglected part of writing an article. People just gloss over it without taking much time to consider it.

I sometimes deliberate over titles for 30–60 minutes before settling on one that works. And I often go back and change them. This is what it takes to write a good headline.
If you need some help concocting catchier headlines, here are a few simple tricks.

Use numbers
There’s a reason why so many copywriters use numbers in their headlines. It works.

Do an experiment: Go to the grocery store, and scan the magazines in the checkout lane. Look at the front-page article headlines. It doesn’t matter if it’s a fitness magazine or a tabloid; many of them will be using numerals to start off the headline.
There aren’t really any rules (as far as I know) regarding what numbers work best, but people typically only remember three to five points. That said, sometimes a really obscure number like 19 or 37 can catch people’s attention.

Use interesting adjectives
Here are some examples:
•Effortless
•Painstaking
•Fun
•Free
•Incredible
•Essential
•Absolute
•Strange

Use unique rationale
If you’re going to do a list post, be original. For example consider the following:
•Reasons
•Principles
•Facts
•Lessons
•Ideas
•Ways
•Secrets
•Tricks
If possible, never use things. Please, for the love of Pete, don’t use things. You can do better than that.

Use what, why, how, or when
These are trigger words. I typically use “why” and “how” the most, because I’m often trying to persuade or enable someone. Typically, you’ll use either a trigger word or a number. Rarely does it sound good to do both.

Make an audacious promise
Promise your reader something valuable. Will you teach her how to learn a new skill? Will you persuade her to do something she’s never done before? Will you unlock an ancient mystery?
What you want to do is dare your reader to read the article. Without over-promising, be bold. Be seductive (in the most innocuous way possible, of course). Be dangerous. And then deliver what you promised.

Conclusion
The difference between creating a great headline and a mediocre one is huge. When you write a blog post, you should know if it will be a hit based on the headline. And sadly, even if the content sucks, you know the post will still do well because of the headline.

If you really want to hit a home run with your blog posts, spend as much time crafting the headline as you do writing the post.

http://www.standontech.com/2015/12/how-to-write-magnetic-headlines.html

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Your Payapal Account Has Been Limited / USA Google Adsense Up For Sale / How Can I Get Music For My Music Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.