Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,106 members, 7,811,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example (13178 Views)

Ifa The Foundation Of Yoruba Land / Ifa: The Question Is, Are You Showing Appreciation? / Ifa The True Religion Of Yorubas, What You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example by PastorAIO: 7:30am On Jul 30, 2022
But you can serve the Ori of other. people.

Ifa. can. tell a man that if he wants to. prosper he should go and feed the Ori of his wife. This happens a lot. or the ori of a. child.

Meanwhile Babalawo. can help a devotee to serve his Ori. A person that wants to feed his Ori can call his friends to help him to do so.

I don't even know what you. mean when you say 'worship'. Do you mean offering of ębo?

FOLYKAZE:

Yoruba religion system is a home abode for every form of theism including atheism. The only form that breaks away or fail to fall into Yoruba religion system is monotheism because many other Gods are present.

One Ori is a deity. This deity is personal to oneself and does not need other people to gather and worship on your behalf. Orisha are been worshipped unlike Ori by more than one person. Orisha is worshipped among family, society, group and village. This cannot be the case of Ori.

However, the fact you should note here is that there is more than one deity pesent in Yoruba religion system. Deities here are infinite. This is mega-polytheism just like hinduism.

Every individual are knoted to Ori and at least one Orisha. The fact that most people dont worship their orisha doesnt mean they should ne written off.

Irunmole is a Deity. Irunmole mean Irun-Imole. Irun is irinwo which is 400 while Imale are primodial spirits. They are what you call Orisha today. The english word for Orisha is god/deity. This shows that there are more than one god been worship which makes Yoruba religion system a polytheism

1 Like

Re: Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example by PastorAIO: 7:33am On Jul 30, 2022
lawani:

Egungun is ancestor worship which existed in Yoruba land thousands of years before the birth of Alaafin Sango but he may have added some innovations to it though but the same name is what they call it among the Igbowho may have disconnected from the Yoruba for up to five thousand years if not more.

There is a distinction between Egungun Ara Orun. and Egungun Alaso.
Re: Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example by lawani: 7:36am On Jul 30, 2022
FOLYKAZE:

Olodumare is God just like the other Irunmoles are God.

Olodumare is one of the Irunmoles. 401 is more than one hence Orisha system is polytheism.

Everyone is supreme in their own domain. Eledumare is the supreme of ALL just like Brahman.

Ori is the supreme in ones life.

Egungun is supreme to Ori.

Orisha is supreme to Egungun.

Eledumare is supreme to ALL.

Ori, egungun and orisha are Gods. Stop mistaken deity as a separate thing from god. They are same thing.

If you want to say Olodumare is also a mere irunmale, you may be right but I will still insist he belongs to the highest species of irunmale just like we are the highest specie of living things. There are all sorts of irunmales. Ants, trees, dogs horses and etc just like all sorts of living things but Olodumare is special by chairing a council of 401 irunmales totalling 401 highest ranking irunmale. A king does not rank as other people and the fact that Olodumare does not need to rise from his throne to do anything by himself does not mean he is the same as an orisa, eegun and etc. What do you now want to call that personnel if not God?. The residual attribute that separates Olodumare from Orisa or Egungun is that Olodumare will never be incarnated on Earth. If he is incarnated, then another irunmale obviously has taken the title. Isn't it?.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example by lawani: 7:44am On Jul 30, 2022
PastorAIO:
But you can serve the Ori of other. people.

Ifa. can. tell a man that if he wants to. prosper he should go and feed the Ori of his wife. This happens a lot. or the ori of a. child.

Meanwhile Babalawo. can help a devotee to serve his Ori. A person that wants to feed his Ori can call his friends to help him to do so.

I don't even know what you. mean when you say 'worship'. Do you mean offering of ębo?

Yes I wanted to say that because if you offer sacrifice to a specific Ogun, then you are worshipping or propitiating the head of that individual. The worship of any Orisa is the worship of Ori since that is a person that existed. It is the Oris that become exceptional that emerge as orisa or prominent Egungun. All ancestors are Egungun and the Egungun institution is to communicate with the ancestors.
Re: Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example by lawani: 7:49am On Jul 30, 2022
PastorAIO:

There is a distinction between Egungun Ara Orun. and Egungun Alaso.

Okay it will be the Egungun Alaso that was introduced by Alaafin Sango. Would it be of the type that perform all sorts of magic, used for ceremonies and etc?.
Even the first Oba of the Oyotunji claim he invented a new way of communicating with the ancestors using Ifa. I myself do not use the ikin or opele to generate odu. I use other means, so innovation is without limit.
Re: Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example by PastorAIO: 9:55am On Jul 30, 2022
lawani:

Yes I wanted to say that because if you offer sacrifice to a specific Ogun, then you are worshipping or propitiating the head of that individual. The worship of any Orisa is the worship of Ori since that is a person that existed. It is the Oris that become exceptional that emerge as orisa or prominent Egungun. All ancestors are Egungun and the Egungun institution is to communicate with the ancestors.

Innovation is not bad per se but we should supplement hypothesising with practical experiments. When you come up with a theory, first try it out and if you do and it works then you can report the results to the rest of the world. However if you are going to just theorise blindly then there is no end to human imagination. You'll end up saying the most outlandish things and if anyone follows your theories in practice they may end up hurting themselves seriously.
Re: Traditional Monotheism-The Yoruba example by lawani: 10:53am On Jul 30, 2022
PastorAIO:

Innovation is not bad per se but we should supplement hypothesising with practical experiments. When you come up with a theory, first try it out and if you do and it works then you can report the results to the rest of the world. However if you are going to just theorise blindly then there is no end to human imagination. You'll end up saying the most outlandish things and if anyone follows your theories in practice they may end up hurting themselves seriously.

That is how I work and everything I say I practice. Everything I say or believe is also in.progress, in motion, not cast in stone and etc and will be discarded immediately I find something better. I have discarded a few notions in the past ten years that were not adequate. No one gets it all together at once.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Possible For A Born Again Xtian To Bcom A Successful Lawyer? / How To Increase Your Faith – By Rev. Kenneth E. Hagin / Why Africans Are Religious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.