Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,950 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ (15043 Views)

Buhari Dressed In Army Uniform In Zamfara Today / Army/Shiites clash:The untold story-Daily Trust / Soldiers And Shiites Clash In Zaria, Seven Killed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by crosbreaka: 12:19pm On Dec 26, 2015
‘How I lost 5 family members in Army/Shiites clash’

By Uthman Abubakar

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt3trimju747sg.ed573ec8.jpg[/img]
[size=5pt]Malam Abubakar Zaki (left) lost his son-in-law, Buhari Bello Jega, and his grandniece, a 1.5 year-old Fatimah-Batula in the Zaria army-Shi’tes clash[/size]

Malam Abubakar Zaki lost two daughters, a niece, a grandniece and a son-in-law’s in the Army/Shiites clash in Zaria. Daily Trust interviewed him and he spoke of his grief, his thoughts on the tragic incident, and more. Excerpts:

Daily Trust: You are said to have lost two daughters and a number of family members during the Army/Shiites clash in Zaria two weeks ago. How many exactly did you lose?

Malam Abubakar Zaki: I lost five members of my family, actually. A’isha, my niece, who was the daughter of my late elder brother - he died, leaving her under my care as her uncle and guardian; my two daughters, Nusaiba and Fatimah; my grandniece, one-and-a-half-year-old Fatimah-Batula, who is the daughter of A’isha and my son-in-law, Buhari Bello Jega, who is a lecturer at the University of Abuja, who is the husband of A’isha. They add up to five.

DT: How did you receive the news of their death?

Zaki: With complete submission to the will of Allah. We believe that one day, everyone must die. It is only the cause of death that differs. I received the tragedy as a trial from Allah. They were killed unjustly and in a very brutal manner by soldiers. They never committed any offence. I have a strong belief that they are martyrs.

Nusaiba is a 200-level student at the University of Abuja, and her younger sister Fatima had just gained admission into the College of Education in Zuba. Some other family members, however, survived.

DT: When was the last time you saw your daughters, and other family members alive?

Zaki: Saturday, before the tragic Sunday. They left home in Gwagwalada in the evening and set out for Zaria, reaching by nightfall. They went for the change of flag ceremony, which is an annual event.

However, after news broke of the clash, and I was speaking to one of my daughters at about 6:00pm, she told me ‘Daddy, forgive us, as it will be hard for us to meet. I was shot in the stomach, and Aisha has been shot in the head.’

Buhari Jega, my in-law, was shot first and Fatima called my younger brother Abdullahi, who had escaped unhurt, to tell him people were being shot. He asked about her location and told her to stay quiet and out of sight. That was their last communication.

DT: Since the tragic incident, there have been expansive assortment of criticism and responses from Nigerians and even sections of the international community. How do you see them?

Zaki: Various individuals and organizations, especially human rights organizations, have expressed heartfelt sympathy, and condemned in very strong terms the killings, while maintaining that the killings were unnecessary. Killing of innocent disciples of Malam Zakzaky on the flimsy reason that they refused the Chief of Army Staff passage, shocked the entire nation, and even the international community.

Every citizen has a right to be protected and if he commits any offence or crime, he has a right to be arrested and brought before a court of law where he should be sentenced accordingly, not to be killed extra-judicially. Even the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) sympathized with us, and condemned the action of the Nigerian Army.

DT: Are you confident that justice will be served?

Zaki: We rest our case in Allah, to judge between truth and falsehood, and He will ensure justice. We are used to setting up of committees to do this or that. We have never seen the result of any of that. Even the committee set up during the administration of Goodluck Jonathan in respect of the killing of three children of Malam Zakzaky and 31 of our members last year, has borne no fruit to this day.

DT: Many Nigerians have expressed concern that the Shiite movement shows tendencies of extremism, perhaps growing to constitute security threats...

Zaki: There is no record whatsoever to show that Shiites pose security threats, or ever killed anyone. In fact, Malam Zakzaky has been applauded as a man of peace.
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/-how-i-lost-5-family-members-in-army-shiites-clash/126137.html#MvsRIs0vWKKt7QKR.99
Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by INTROVERT(f): 12:20pm On Dec 26, 2015
sad
Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 26, 2015
RIP to them.
Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 26, 2015
Life goes on.,

1 Like

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by ShowYourCertificate: 12:24pm On Dec 26, 2015
Crime against humanity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by shepherd77: 12:37pm On Dec 26, 2015
Sad.

1 Like

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by mysteriousman(m): 12:38pm On Dec 26, 2015
Sad RIP buhari

5 Likes

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by sotall(m): 8:59am On Dec 27, 2015
ok
Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 27, 2015
I don't know why any belief system will actively promote violence

1 Like

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by elderstan(m): 9:02am On Dec 27, 2015
Very sry, shiit will dan danna kudan su angry grin

RIP to the death

1 Like

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Slimbideb: 9:02am On Dec 27, 2015
5 family! Inalilahi wahina illahe rojihun

2 Likes

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Pascal181: 9:02am On Dec 27, 2015
Sad but educate ur family members not 2 sopot any evil association/movement going foreward.

4 Likes

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by repogirl(f): 9:07am On Dec 27, 2015
Pascal181:
Sad but educate ur family members not 2 sopot any evil association/movement going foreward.
can you tell us the evil this association did?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by PLANETMARS(m): 9:07am On Dec 27, 2015
religion of piss cry

3 Likes

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by sorextee(m): 9:08am On Dec 27, 2015
Why una go confront soldiers?? That means u guys were prepared for what happens next.. undecided.. u go see man carry him wife, and kids comot, say dem dey do procession, then end us losing them all. It's so pathetic.. I dont know what/who u guys believe in..

7 Likes

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by repogirl(f): 9:08am On Dec 27, 2015
Wickedness of the highest order...... I guess these kids also threatened the COAS life?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by kelechiodo(m): 9:14am On Dec 27, 2015
Too bad
Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by pagorino(m): 9:15am On Dec 27, 2015
eya .... r.I.p 2 d dead.. may God comfort him n d rest of d family.
Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Nobody: 9:19am On Dec 27, 2015
his daughter was ma coursemate kai fine girl

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 27, 2015
hmmn
Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Nobody: 9:25am On Dec 27, 2015
Sad news
Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by ajbabs(m): 9:31am On Dec 27, 2015
Too bad. I know Yoruba people will never engage in anything like this. Just shout too much sef, everybody will have taken to his or her heel ( mi o le wa ku oooo). They don't want to die when it is unnecessary.
RIP to the dead.

3 Likes

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by APCLyingBastard: 9:32am On Dec 27, 2015
Why say "died"?

People die from car accidents, natural disasters, etc.

They were killed by men of th Nigerian Army.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Ginaz(f): 9:41am On Dec 27, 2015
I'm not saying anything but what about all those people bokoharam killed? What about their pains and some who lost family members? They should sit down joor, Death affects all but let God be the judge one day.

They didn't sympathize with none of those people killed by boko boys but expect me to feel sorry for them? God is watching us all.

1 Like

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 27, 2015
Jolllyjoy:
Life goes on.,
Yes my dear. I don't know who to blame self.
Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by APCLyingBastard: 9:49am On Dec 27, 2015
Jolllyjoy:
Life goes on.,

And with it more killings

1 Like

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Erukulele(m): 9:51am On Dec 27, 2015
As a muslim, i condemn the action of the Nigeria Army and share the agony of loosing muslim brothers and sisters to such magnitude but religion is not an excuse to break law and order neither does it make extremism legal. I can't imagine how the country will look like if all the congregations in Nigeria are blocking the road in procession annually, i mean the sunni muslims, the catholics, the anglicans, redeem, covenants, deeper lifes, the ROF, the aborigines, Amork, ecks, just to mention a few, definitely our country would be in pandemonium througout the year. More importantly as our nation is fighting terrorism and religion extremism, every congregation must be modest in celebrating any event to avoid heating up the polity. No person, group or religion is above the law. The holy prophet never encourage creating inconvenience for others in the name of religion. May Allah grant paradise to all the muslims who lost their lives.

14 Likes

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by APCLyingBastard: 9:51am On Dec 27, 2015
sameer1212:
Yes my dear. I don't know who to blame self.

You can't be serious.

With statements like this we give impunity and immunity to soldiers mowing dow defenceless civilians

1 Like

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by Nobody: 9:52am On Dec 27, 2015
Having watched the video of this incidence, I tell ya', all Zakzaky/shiite Muslim followers at that road blockage deserve nothing but horrible death.

I am extremely happy that Nigeria Army didn't allow some stupid religion miscreants to dictate where and what roads COAS ought to have taken. It was a well deserved death. I love Nigeria Army and i have decided to join Nigeria Army as a result of that reaction to the stupidity and impunity of Zakzaky followers.

As expected, the stupid international community came out with their filthy and hypocritical opprobrium. Thank God is not new to us in Africa any more; we know better now.

Where was this so called International community when US and UK killed millions of people in Iraq and of course Afghanistan? Where was the same International community when US police killed and still killing US citizens on Broadway light simply cos "They put their hands down or in their pockets? Where are the International community when US police are killing and brutalising African-Americans for flimsy excuses? Can International community community out to tell us the numbers of Black US teenagers that had been shot dead this year alone by mere police men despite their lives were not as threatened as those of Nigeria Army.

In US/UK, you ll be shot by mere police if you carry any form of weapon after few warning. British police is more tolerant but In US, police kill at will. If you doubt me, go on YouTube and see US police crimes. US citizens have not tagged their police as pigs. Police mem are called pigs in US. The same country will come out to condemn a better country.

I can't just imagine a whole Army chief turning back from that government road even if it's private, it means Nigeria is finished. Go and try the same in UK or US and see what you ll get....

I ll implore Nigeria Army to do the same again if anybody try that nonsense again. Christians and Muslims should speak amd encourage their followers to respect Federal and state laws but i am very sure that Christians will never constitute such public nuisance going by their precedent.

In the same Zaria, my younger brothers and sisters were all out on that very day; doing their individual thing such as School runs and Nigeria Army didn't kill them. Why? Cos they didn't step beyond their boundary under the pretence of one stupid Zakzaky/shiite religion.

Kudos to Nigeria Army.
God bless Nigeria Army for the job well done.
God bless Nigeria.

21 Likes

Re: ‘How I Lost 5 Family Members In Army/Shiites Clash’ by WhoDeyThere(m): 9:53am On Dec 27, 2015
R I P to the dead. Thank God it was not Viviangist forming family member here.

madam Viviangist God bless ur hustle.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Justice Ayo Salami Heads NJC Corruption Cases Monitoring Committee / Tinubu: Abdulmalik, Olonisakin, Buratai, Others Visit Lagos, Meets Lagos Speaker / This Crazy Mansion Is One Of The Wonders Of Anambra Young Billionaires (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.