Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission (1156 Views)

I'm About Losing The Man I Love And Being Pressured To Marry The One I Never Did / Woman Hides Gala In A Bible To Send To Her Children In The UK / Woman Delivers A Bible And A Baby In Osun State - NTA [PICS+VIDEO] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 26, 2015
I see a few guy (OK... A lot) keep misquoting the Bible about being submissive to the husband. Here I have quoted that scripture and some more of the Bible that seems to be lacking.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

The Bible says submit to one other. The husband to the wife and the wife to the husband

25[b] Husbands, love your wives, [/b]even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. 28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

Are husbands loving their wives? Are husbands willing to die for their lives? Or are husbands dominating and crushing their wives with mental, physical, and emotional abuse?

1 Peter 3:6 Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

Don't treat your women like pack mules and subservient beings. Give them honor and respect. Respect never makes demands. Also if you mistreat your woman, don't expect a blessing. It says so that your prayers won't be hindered. The reason some are in dire circumstances is because they are mistreating their wife.

Proverbs 5:18 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.19 Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; [/b]and be thou ravished always with her love.

Why are you running outside of marriage with this woman and that woman and this girl and that GI l. Be satisfied with your wife at all times.

Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, [b]and cleave to his wife;
8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

Are you cleaving to your wife or what your friends say and think? Are you cleaving to your wife or money? Are you cleaving to your wife or your traditions and superstitions? Are you clinging to your wife or some runz girl?

Ushers pass the collection plates.....

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by johnson232: 6:57pm On Dec 26, 2015
op pls don't misinterprete the holy book...

the issue of submission is very clear in the bible....
u can start from genesis...
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
johnson232:
op pls don't misinterprete the holy book...

the issue of submission is very clear in the bible....
u can start from genesis...

How are direct quotes misinterpretations? Lol

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by donpata(m): 12:54am On Dec 27, 2015
Dont even start Op.. what does it mean to submit as unto God? as a human being, submitting to God is doing his will without questioning. thats y thou we may have grudges, Gods will is always done.

likewise, the Woman could air her opinions. even God said to the israelites, "come let us reason together". at the end though, the husbands will must prevail. of coz there are times God permits what we insist. that is where the man must also "dwell with her with understanding". he could also permit her to have way even if he has a contrary view. however, once he feels his opinion is best, the woman must keep quite.

Christ loved the church and died for it while the prospective members were yet sinners.. husbands must love their wives even when she is a wrong doer. EOD

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 27, 2015
donpata:
Dont even start Op.. what does it mean to submit as unto God? as a human being, submitting to God is doing his will without questioning. thats y thou we may have grudges, Gods will is always done.

likewise, the Woman could air her opinions. even God said to the israelites, "come let us reason together". at the end though, the husbands will must prevail. of coz there are times God permits what we insist. that is where the man must also "dwell with her with understanding". he could also permit her to have way even if he has a contrary view. however, once he feels his opinion is best, the woman must keep quite.

Christ loved the church and died for it while the prospective members were yet sinners.. husbands must love their wives even when she is a wrong doer. EOD

Where does the Bible say not to question? Nowhere. There are several instances with questioning. I see you are stuck on one portion of one verse. Submit unto one another. Submission isn't one sided nor it it mere obedience but love.

God tells the husband several time to love. Love love. Wanting to dominate over a person and to control is not and never will be love. That is just dominance and control.

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by Jimdonnet(m): 7:17am On Dec 27, 2015
naija girls are never submissive.better to marry foreign
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by donpata(m): 12:10pm On Dec 27, 2015
tomyka81:

Where does the Bible say not to question? Nowhere. There are several instances with questioning. I see you are stuck on one portion of one verse. Submit unto one another. Submission isn't one sided nor it it mere obedience but love.

God tells the husband several time to love. Love love. Wanting to dominate over a person and to control is not and never will be love. That is just dominance and control.
dont misinterprete me pls.. a question for u is
1. "do u question God or give him advice on what to do?"
2 . when God excercises dominion over mankind, does it mean he does not love us?
3. or when a parent dominates his child and dictates many of his ways does it mean he hates the child?
4. then, what does it mean for a Woman to submit to her husband as unto God?
5. the man is the head of the Home. if u have a head in your office, can u press your opinion on him?
6. Of coz a good head will ask for your opinion but if he does not agree with it will he take it?
7.. if your head in the office gives u a duty to do and u feel there's a better way to do it. u suggest but he insist u use his method will u stubbornly use yours cos yours is the best?
now u c that its not abt the head being super human. its just that he leads and is responsible and will b held accountable for whatever decision or action done by whoever is under his authority.
so it is with the husband and wife.

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by lilmax(m): 12:29pm On Dec 27, 2015
Jimdonnet:
naija girls are never submissive.better to marry foreign
are you serious right now or you just joking?
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 27, 2015
[quote author=donpata post=41384447]
dont misinterprete me pls.. a question for u is
1. "do u question God or give him advice on what to do?"
2 . when God excercises dominion over mankind, does it mean he does not love us?
3. or when a parent dominates his child and dictates many of his ways does it mean he hates the child?
4. then, what does it mean for a Woman to submit to her husband as unto God?
5. the man is the head of the Home. if u have a head in your office, can u press your opinion on him?
6. Of coz a good head will ask for your opinion but if he does not agree with it will he take it?
7.. if your head in the office gives u a duty to do and u feel there's a better way to do it. u suggest but he insist u use his method will u stubbornly use yours cos yours is the best?
now u c that its not abt the head being super human. its just that he leads and is responsible and will b held accountable for whatever decision or action done by whoever is under his authority.
so it is with the husband and wife. [/q]

1. Yes I do question God sometimes. If I don't understand,, I ask a question. Please recall the story of Hezekiah in the Bible. God told Hezekiah he would die in a short while. Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and cried out in prayer and God gave him more years. David and his soldiers partook of the table of shewbread which was forbidden of men, only the priest. It matters of the heart a person's intent when questioning or asking for a change or breaking the law.

2. God does exercise dominion over mankind but it is NEVER by force. From what I see on here, men want to lead by force and demand. God gave and still give humans a choice to choose Him. It is called freewill. He beats no one into submission to believe him except a chosen people and at the end of the day, He still doesn't even force their hand like some men do women.

3. Hopefully you aren't dictating to your children but training them up in the way that they should go so when they are old, they won't depart from it. If you only dictate and beat and don't train or teach, when you die, your kids know nothing and are incapable of making good decisions for themselves. The Bible also teaches us to correct with the rod. Correction means that a mistake has been made. If you are dictating your child's every action, there is no room for mistakemistake

4. Back at you.. What does the Bible mean when it says submit, one unto another? You only see the woman submitting. It also says one unto another.

5. I give my opinion to my boss all the time. He can take it or leave it. Sometimes I am right. Proverbs 31 says the heart of the husband does safely trust in a virtuous woman. Therefore a virtuous woman will not tell her husband something that will hurt him. Just as I will not tell my boss something that will hurt him. But yes I tell him my opinion, which is highly valued, all the time. He pays me for my opinion.

6&7 He can take it or leave it but not taking it is to his detriment. You mean to tell me that you would rather go down burning as the head rather than listening and submitting to your wife who will not harm you.

10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.

1[b]1 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.

[/b]12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.

14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.

15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.

16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. SHE considers a field. Some men want to dominate and control everything of their woman. Nowhere does this say, she gives all her money to her husband then asks permission to increase her territory. She has money and consideration a field and because she is trustworthy and will do her husband no harm, she buys it. No husband anywhere objecting to this woman's actions but some kind of way we got the submission twisted to mean power and control of actions. This woman's heart is totally submitted to her husband and her actions follow.

17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.

18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.

19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.

22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.

23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.

24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.

25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by donpata(m): 6:39pm On Dec 27, 2015
@tomyka81.

if u had read my first post carefully, u wont have to write tis long epistle. I challenge u to tell me the particular verse where God said a man should submit to his wife. notice that the whole of ephesians 5 and even 6 is talking abt Christian unity and a peaceful home. vs 21 that u quote out of context is talking abt general Christian Fellowship with other brethren of Christ body. basically, humility is the main point there. but immediatly follows verse 22 which clearly instructs the Woman to submit. here, the man was totally left out. in bibles that normally group verses, u will c that vs 21 is grouped differently from 22. vs 22 forward is more specific abt how a good peaceful christian home should be. every average bible student knows that the inatruction of the bible is for wives to submit and respect, children to obey, and husbands to love and live in understanding with both wife and kids

submitting means subjecting or humbling oneself under another's authority. by your claim of mutual submission in marriage, it means the man should also subject or humble himself under the wife's authority. it means a 50/50 authority; a house with 2 captains. how will such marriage stand. God in his wisdom understands that one must head over the other hence the instruction of God that the woman be under the man.

i am not married but am someone who will inquire my wife's opinion on virtually everything i will do if possible. however, based on bible instruction, if we dont get to agree on something, i have the veto Power to take the final decision i believe is best. that is the right God gave me as the man. also, if my wife offers an opinion that i feel is more superior to mine, hers of coz will b taken. if again i dont accept her position but simply decide to still take and use it, it is a priviledge to her and not a right. the man is the one with the right to veto anything in the interest of the family. the right is God given by virtue of being the head.

u claim U can question God and no place in scrpture says u can't. really??
"What sorrow awaits those who argue
with their Creator. Does a clay pot argue
with its maker? Does the clay dispute with
the one who shapes it, saying, 'Stop,
you're doing it wrong!' Does the pot
exclaim, 'How clumsy can you be?' isa 45:9
u can of coz ask God abt things u dont understand or plead for mercy, but that still depends on whether God wants to answer u or have Mercy. thats the case with david and hezekiah u were quoting out of context. remembr david and uriah's wife? remember davids pleas for the son to survive? remember God refused? God can hear us out but at last, he still has the veto Power. thats how the man is to the Woman. Plus, u made it seem like a virteous Woman cant ever give a wrong or inferior advice. GUY, park well abeg. go do more research bros.

point is, the man that loves his wife as Instructed will give her a democratic home not an authoritarian one. in the end though, the bulk stops at his table. FINAL DECISION IN A GOOD CHRISTIAN HOME IS A RIGHT TO THE HUSBAND BUT A PRIVILEDGE TO THE WIFE.
Honestly, u cant convince me otherwise with regards this. thus, if you no gree, go jump inside lagoon. EOD smiley
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by TV01(m): 7:03pm On Dec 27, 2015
tomyka81:
I see a few guy (OK... A lot) keep misquoting the Bible about being submissive to the husband. Here I have quoted that scripture and some more of the Bible that seems to be lacking .
No misquoting - Christian wives are to be submissive to their husbands;
Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife,
Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
Titus 2:5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands
1 Peter 3:1 Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands
1 Peter 3:5 For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands,

Per the bold, the bible lacks nothing, and you have committed blasphemy & sacrilege by adding to it. You have been warned angry

tomyka81:
Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

The Bible says submit to one other. The husband to the wife and the wife to the husband
No it does not - please show us where it says what you have posted above undecided

tomyka81:
Are husbands loving their wives? Are husbands willing to die for their lives? Or are husbands dominating and crushing their wives with mental, physical, and emotional abuse?
Who is suggesting the above? The truth remains, wives are to submit to their husbands.

tomyka81:
Don't treat your women like pack mules and subservient beings. Give them honor and respect. Respect never makes demands. Also if you mistreat your woman, don't expect a blessing. It says so that your prayers won't be hindered. The reason some are in dire circumstances is because they are mistreating their wife.
Again, no one has said the above is the norm, biblically mandated or an outcome of submission.

tomyka81:
Why are you running outside of marriage with this woman and that woman and this girl and that GI l. Be satisfied with your wife at all times.
Is this abut infidelity or submission?

tomyka81:
Are you cleaving to your wife or what your friends say and think? Are you cleaving to your wife or money? Are you cleaving to your wife or your traditions and superstitions? Are you clinging to your wife or some runz girl?
What has this to do with biblical submission?

tomyka81:
Ushers pass the collection plates.....
Nothing for you. Fail. Next you will be preaching mandatory tithe

Blasphemer.

TV

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by Nobody: 1:41am On Dec 28, 2015
TV01:

Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife,
Titus 2:5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands
1 Peter 3:5 For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands,

Per the bold, the bible lacks nothing, and you have committed blasphemy & sacrilege by adding to it. You have been warned angry

No it does not - please show us where it says what you have posted above undecided

Who is suggesting the above? The truth remains, wives are to submit to their husbands.

Again, no one has said the above is the norm, biblically mandated or an outcome of submission.

Is this abut infidelity or submission?

What has this to do with biblical submission?

Nothing for you. Fail. Next you will be preaching mandatory tithe

Blasphemer.

TV

Lol wow I showed and quoted directly where in Ephesians it says submit to each other .... Wow reading and researching is fundamental lol
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by TV01(m): 1:18pm On Dec 28, 2015
tomyka81:
Lol wow I showed and quoted directly where in Ephesians it says submit to each other .... Wow reading and researching is fundamental lol
Don't attempt to "lol" it away. You are a deciever. You said this;
tomyka81:
Where does the bible state what you posted above? You have added and twisted what the bible says. Further, you omitted or misrepresented all the scriptures that clearly state that a wife should submit to her husband.

To be clear, nowhere does the bible state that a husband is to submit to his wife. You then introduced a host of unrelated issues to try and buttress your case.

Blasphemer - not only should you try reading and researching, you should give up twisting and sneaky misrepresentation.

TV
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 28, 2015
TV01:

Don't attempt to "lol" it away. You are a deciever. You said this;

Where does the bible state what you posted above? You have added and twisted what the bible says. Further, you omitted or misrepresented all the scriptures that clearly state that a wife should submit to her husband.
V

I am really just hoping that this is a vision problem and you aren't truly illiterate... Ephesians 5:21 please read. I Posted it earlier. This scripture proceeds the infamously quoted and misapplied one. You call me a deceiver and blasphemer, however you have singularly misfocused on a scripture because you didn't read. You also failed to read all the other scriptures quoted verbatim. I don't reason with the unreasonable. Continue on doing what you are doing, treating your wives how you treat them. The scripture is crystal clear about what happens when you mistreat your wife and deal harshly with her. Your prayers will be hindered. If you are so sure of your self ignore the post and rock on. I don't argue about what I know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by TV01(m): 5:40pm On Dec 28, 2015
tomyka81:
I am really just hoping that this is a vision problem and you aren't truly illiterate...
Shut your mouth - you indentured ignoramus

tomyka81:

Ephesians 5:21 please read. I Posted it earlier. This scripture proceeds the infamously quoted and misapplied one.
Keep silent - where does the bible state what you claimed below?
tomyka81:

tomyka81:
You call me a deceiver and blasphemer, however you have singularly misfocused on a scripture because you didn't read.
I rightly called you both those things - and I'm wrong only if you do not actually call yourself a Christian.

tomyka81:
You also failed to read all the other scriptures quoted verbatim.
Nope, you failed to apply all the other marriage related submission scriptures I posted or answer the charge I made against you in question 2;
TV01:

tomyka81:
I don't reason with the unreasonable. Continue on doing what you are doing, treating your wives how you treat them. The scripture is crystal clear about what happens when you mistreat your wife and deal harshly with her. Your prayers will be hindered. If you are so sure of your self ignore the post and rock on. I don't argue about what I know.
The same ruse; you claimed to be exploring submission (& love). Yet you mis-stated submission and then went on too accuse people of "maltreating their wives" to make your point. Firstly, that is disingenuous. And secondly, the two are separate issues and should be treated as such.

And how do you know how we treat our wives? Add accuser to that list.

TV

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by TV01(m): 5:41pm On Dec 28, 2015
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Love And Submission by donpata(m): 5:50pm On Dec 28, 2015
tomyka81:

I am really just hoping that this is a vision problem and you aren't truly illiterate... Ephesians 5:21 please read. I Posted it earlier. This scripture proceeds the infamously quoted and misapplied one. You call me a deceiver and blasphemer, however you have singularly misfocused on a scripture because you didn't read. You also failed to read all the other scriptures quoted verbatim. I don't reason with the unreasonable. Continue on doing what you are doing, treating your wives how you treat them. The scripture is crystal clear about what happens when you mistreat your wife and deal harshly with her. Your prayers will be hindered. If you are so sure of your self ignore the post and rock on. I don't argue about what I know.

"He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool and ignoramus. "

u think u know but u are either dumb to understand, mischievious, or completely arrogant to learn.. read my last post carefully. there is no logic in havin a president submitting to the authority of a prime minister and a prime minister submitting under the authority of the president simultaneously. Common sense which u are extremely bereft of requires that one must be superior to the other in authority for things to work well. the guy quoted more than five scriptures which says women are to submit. u keep dwelling on one verse that was totally talking of general Christian Fellowship. I again challenge u to state any verse that says men should obey/submit to their wives.

U also display unrivalled foolishness by insinuating that anyone who believes in the scrptural instruction for wives to submit is an oppressor. submission is not slavery. only a foolish man will misinterprete submission to mean oppression as u are doing. submission/respect and love by are essential for a Christian home to thrive. God gave the man the major responsibilty of love and the Woman, submission. if my wife is submissive, i am going to love her more, not subject her to slavery as in ur books.

this roadside bible student, humble yourself and learn. else, drop the scripture that states clearly a man should submit to his wife's authority. i also wanna learn. otherwise, parkwell bros.

(1) (Reply)

Pls House: Is There Any Way To Correct My 2 Year Old Girl K Leg / IS IT OKAY TO GET DOWN WITH MY EX-HUSBAND FRIEND AS A PAYBACK? / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.