Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,433 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) (30007 Views)

El-Rufai Kneels To Greet Oba Akiolu During Courtesy Visit In His Palace / Nnamdi Kanu Disobeys Court Order,Appears In The Presence Of More Than 10 People / Nnamdi Kanu's 'I LOVE BIAFRA' Wristband As He Appears In Court Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by emamos: 6:09am On Dec 27, 2015
Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu, has blamed some officials of the Lagos State Government as well as traditional rulers of the Ibeju-Lekki area of responsibility for the crises besetting the community, especially the deadly conflicts over disputed land.

Oba Akiolu spoke earlier today when he appeared at a coroner’s inquest at the Lagos State High Court in Ikeja. The inquest is mandated to investigate the causes of crises in the Ibeju-Lekki community culminating in several deaths. One of the more recent deaths was of Tajudeen Disu, chairman of the Lekki Free Zone that oversees development in the disputed land area.

Giving testimony at the inquest, Oba Akiolu criticized state government officials, saying their greed had fueled the crises. He declared that some state government officials were insincere and blinded by their greed, leading to actions that were against both good conscience and the interests of the residents of the community.

In addition, Oba Akiolu stated that some traditional rulers in the Ibeju-Lekki area were only concerned with their selfish financial interests. He accused them of cutting deals over land rather than focusing on planning for the larger community along and seeking the interests of their people.

The Oba’s testimony suggested that some staff of the Lagos State Ministry of Lands and Survey were engaged in rackets to issue certificates of land ownership. He praised inhabitants of the community for resisting the hijack of their communal land by greedy officials who have sold most of the land without helping to resettle the displaced residents. Even so, Oba Akiolu criticized the inhabitants for using the wrong methods in their fight, noting that they lacked exposure and were therefore easy to manipulate.

“The land belongs to the dead, the living and the unborn,” Oba Akiolu stated in his testimony to the coroner, Justice Adesuyi Olateru-Olagbegi. He added that the selling off the communal land had indigenous members of the community into strangers on their own land. He dared any of the local rulers to oppose his position on the issue, stating that they were too preoccupied with cutting deals in order to obtain cash largesse from business owners interested in acquiring land in the area, but with no concern for peace with the inhabitants

http://saharareporters.com/2015/12/26/oba-lagos-appears-court-inquest-land-dispute-accuses-officials-local-rulers-greed

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by emamos: 6:10am On Dec 27, 2015
.Lagoon...Eko o ni baje

3 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by DickDastardly(m): 6:12am On Dec 27, 2015
The Lagoon Monarch cheesy

92 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by emamos: 6:15am On Dec 27, 2015
DickDastardly:
The Lagoon Lagos Monarch cheesy

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by temitemi1(m): 6:36am On Dec 27, 2015
Oba of lagoon cool

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by GreatUniben: 6:36am On Dec 27, 2015
when did selling of land to strangers who sis to settled peaceful becomes an offense

4 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by ckmayoca: 7:10am On Dec 27, 2015
Civilization. In the oldies cases are settled in the palace now the kings goes to court like every other.

28 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:21am On Dec 27, 2015
Oba in court? I tot oba ba le ohun gbogbo ni?

10 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 27, 2015
ckmayoca:
Civilization. In the oldies cases are settled in the palace now the kings goes to court like every other.
The traditional thing should be scrapped already.

I can't, as a king, be answerable to any other authority in the land of my ancestors.

Very soon Obas would be arrested and bailed too.

I'd rather give it all up.

17 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by BALLOSKI: 7:57am On Dec 27, 2015
This oba is blunt and fearless!

I kind of like him...

15 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by NakedEve: 8:02am On Dec 27, 2015
Igbo trashy warlords. Is this the beginning of the woes of the Lagoon warlord?
lol.
I know you guys will take him to ICC for hate speech if Osinbajo n Buhari bleeps up this time with Namadi Kunu.
Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by sweatlana: 8:54am On Dec 27, 2015
Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 27, 2015
Nnamdi Kanu tried to be like Oba of Lagos but he landed himself in jail

19 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 27, 2015
BALLOSKI:
This oba is blunt and fearless!

I kind of like him...
He was a Policeman na.
Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by brunofarad(m): 8:55am On Dec 27, 2015
Oba in Court?
Sounds strange

3 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by FuckTheMod: 8:55am On Dec 27, 2015
The king has declared!

Let any barger try him and get drowned in the
LAGOON angry grin

3 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by Slimbideb: 8:55am On Dec 27, 2015
The aggrieved party should have forget the land tho and accept defeat
Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by elderstan(m): 8:56am On Dec 27, 2015
grin grin grin
Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by Omotayor123(f): 8:56am On Dec 27, 2015
Wtf!!! shocked
Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by eightsin(m): 8:56am On Dec 27, 2015
Seen... next

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by aminho(m): 8:57am On Dec 27, 2015
if i was not from the north my home will be the south west i love Yoruba people die

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by gurunlocker: 8:57am On Dec 27, 2015
awon ti lagoon
Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by sotall(m): 8:57am On Dec 27, 2015
angry angry angry
Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by itsIYKE(m): 8:57am On Dec 27, 2015
Oba lagoon
Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by akpumping7720(m): 8:58am On Dec 27, 2015
showing respect to the constitution of the land

3 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by akpumping7720(m): 8:59am On Dec 27, 2015
itsIYKE:
B
for Basketmouth
Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by SeunWedsLinda(m): 8:59am On Dec 27, 2015
I'm new to Nairaland.
I won't beg for "likes" like some people do.

5 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by anonimi: 9:00am On Dec 27, 2015
ckmayoca:

NOT civilization.
Rather democratization and modernization, which is not such a bad thing as it recognizes EQUALITY of all before the LAW.
I hope that we will see more of such progress.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Appears In Court Over Land Dispute (Photo) by naptu2: 9:01am On Dec 27, 2015
It's a coroner's inquest.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chuka Egwu, Sam Egwu's Son Weds As Saraki, Umahi, Ekweremadu Attend / Mala Buni Of Yobe Appointed CTC Chairman Of APC / Court Acquits 19 Men Accused Of Being MASSOB Members After 15 Years In Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.