Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad (2076 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Why Do So Many Nigerians Dislike Rich Pastors? / Divorce Rates Amongst Born-again Christians Compared To Other Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by acuton: 12:05pm On Jun 11, 2009
welcome comments on this topic. Many strong believers get backslided after traveling abroad. Please why? how CAN WE ENCOURAGE THEM to get back to faith,
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by PastorAIO: 12:16pm On Jun 11, 2009
Because their born againism is a social phenomenon totally dependent on their context. Once the context changes the bornagainism changes too.

Mass hysteria is a local phenomenon.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by jagunlabi(m): 12:19pm On Jun 11, 2009
Well said.
Pastor AIO:

Because their born againism is a social phenomenon totally dependent on their context. Once the context changes the bornagainism changes too.

Mass hysteria is a local phenomenon.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by acuton: 12:27pm On Jun 11, 2009
Many Christian you taught will ignite revival abroad due to their deep christian when they are still in Nigeria got backslided infact some of them do not go to chuch again especially in Europe.
Some of such people are following part that are not biblical such to get settled abroad and never get their way back to God. God have mercy.

Some of them immediately they get many to white woman or man . they will forget about God.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by acuton: 12:29pm On Jun 11, 2009
Many Christian you thought will ignite revival abroad due to their deep christian when they are still in Nigeria got backslided infact some of them do not go to chuch again especially in Europe.
Some of such people are following part that are not biblical. so as to get settled abroad and never get their way back to God. God have mercy.

Some of them immediately they get many to white woman or man . they will forget  about God.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by REALTRUTH1: 12:50pm On Jun 11, 2009
at Poster: How many people are actually born again in Nigeria including pastors? U re the one calling them born again in Nigeria because they appear the way you want them appeared and ultimately you gave them the approval as being born again,,,Most christians in Nigeria re just simply religious people,,they do whta the sect or church they belong to ask them to do and that makes them born again,,
If the number of pastors we have in Nigeria re actually bron again,,,the whole world would have been transformed by gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ,after all it took just 12 Disciples and Jesus to spread the Gospel in their days, a lot of people re suffering from identity problem and therefore they don't have what we call self willed or self determination to define their personality and persons,,,
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by JJYOU: 12:59pm On Jun 11, 2009
wbb
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by PastorAIO: 12:59pm On Jun 11, 2009
REAL TRUTH:

at Poster: How many people are actually born again in Nigeria including pastors? U re the one calling them born again in Nigeria because they appear the way you want them appeared and ultimately you gave them the approval as being born again,,,Most christians in Nigeria re just simply religious people,,they do whta the sect or church they belong to ask them to do and that makes them born again,,
  If the number of pastors we have in Nigeria re actually bron again,,,the whole world would have been transformed by gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ,after all it took just 12 Disciples and Jesus to spread the Gospel in their days, a lot of people re suffering from identity problem and therefore they don't have what we call self willed or self determination to define their personality and persons,,,
qft

How many can actually tell you what it means to be born again, even. You'll get soundbites like when you accept christ as your personal saviour then you're born again. And you learn to string a load of nonsense syllables together really fast then you are spirit filled.

It used to be funny, but now it's so utterly pathetic.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by MERCADO(m): 1:11pm On Jun 11, 2009
well, to me, i can stay long on bed with a woman, depending on the woman in question. this is because i love sex very well. if i come accross of a girl that enjoy sex very well, indeed, i will definately stay long there. but if reverse is the case, then , i will quickly get up. inshort, my staying long on bed with awoman is depending on the type of woman i am dealing with. to cap it up, i can't date a girl who doesn't likes sex very well,for if i found later, it can make me to leave her.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by beewhyfocs(m): 1:15pm On Jun 11, 2009
How do you know they all backslided? There are exceptions in all cases. Any change in environment can reveal the real contents in people's character. Some dont even need to travel abroad before it is manifested. I have been a christian before I left Nigeria and I am still one now. So there are exceptions because I still have a lot of friends that are still maintaining their faith in christ.

However, to answer the question, I would say that most western and european countries are filled with this liberal ways of life that an average Nigerian christian could find difficult to properly live with if not sure of whom he or she is. As well, you might have to travel several miles before you find a church up here unlike in Nigeria where almost every street junction has a church. As such quite a number of people decide not to bother with church thing as their western counterperts do. The result of this is the gradual sliding back in what you believe which eventually become obvious backsliding. This shows that christians are not really designed to grow in isolation and as such God encourages us not to forget the company of believers.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by JJYOU: 1:29pm On Jun 11, 2009
i read somewhere here yesterday there are no good churches in naija so how come you have born again in naija church?

thankfully God users and religous folks are not every where but there are more Godly and God fearing people here in england of course they dont go to church 3 times a week like naija

what about people who became christians in the west? nigeria dont have a monopoly on Christianity. if you can stand your ground it is actually easier being christian here than naija
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by ogajim(m): 6:08pm On Jun 12, 2009
Anyone that tells you they "backslided" due to western influences is a LIAR, they were never born again in the first place, I can understand if they said it was harder to maintain your status as a born again Christian (due to a lot of influences that are unavailable in Nigeria) than that nonsense. Circumstance made those people to claim born again status and different set of circumstances also forced them to abandon it when they came out west. I can't say I was born again while in Nigeria but mine happened when I left home so to each his own, of those Nigerian churches claiming to export the gospel to the west, what percentage of their congregation in the west is actually local? (less than 2% and not up to 10% that they love so much) so those claims has to be looked at closely.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by PastorAIO: 12:56pm On Jun 15, 2009
ogajim:

Anyone that tells you they "backslided" due to western influences is a LIAR, they were never born again in the first place, I can understand if they said it was harder to maintain your status as a born again Christian (due to a lot of influences that are unavailable in Nigeria) than that nonsense. Circumstance made those people to claim born again status and different set of circumstances also forced them to abandon it when they came out west. I can't say I was born again while in Nigeria but mine happened when I left home so to each his own, of those Nigerian churches claiming to export the gospel to the west, what percentage of their congregation in the west is actually local? (less than 2% and not up to 10% that they love so much) so those claims has to be looked at closely.

Obviously circumstances has a lot to do with profession of faith. I wonder what in this world is not a function of circumstance.

For example a rich man who is happily married will profess great love for his wife. If one day he loses his money and suddenly finds he is constantly arguing with his wife would we say that when he professed love that he wasn't actually in love because true love survives all circumstances.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by ogajim(m): 1:36pm On Jun 15, 2009
A Christian is a Christian regardless of the circumstances as no condition is permanent. Human beings will come up with all kinds of excuses as to why something is the way it is with them, it's like observing a kid behaving badly in public and the parents' excuse of "you know these children born overseas are different from us raised back home" instead of admitting they dropped the ball at some point.
I think the west provides a better atmosphere to practice Christianity for a whole bunch of reasons, you don't need to receive or bribe anyone as a way of life for instance. Those with women "problems" will have a hard time obviously due to the way of life out west. Every case is different I think.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by Jatador: 1:45pm On Jun 15, 2009
When they get abroad their eyes open and they see only by the works of your hand shall you prosper and not by magicians. . .
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by ogajim(m): 1:49pm On Jun 15, 2009
LOL

That too, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that if you have to move from a $5 an hour burger flipping job to a $50 an hour office job, you need some training/education and not just prayer.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by tpiah: 3:04pm On Jun 15, 2009
because they saw things they hadnt seen before.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by bawomolo(m): 4:59pm On Jun 15, 2009
They probably weren't really believers anyway.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by JeSoul(f): 5:05pm On Jun 15, 2009
bawomolo:

They probably weren't really believers anyway.
Speaking from personal experience aren't we? smiley
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by manmustwac(m): 9:48pm On Jun 15, 2009
when they reach here dem open eye. They realize that u don't have to pray to get things done

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by posakosa(m): 11:49pm On Jun 15, 2009
manmustwac:

when they reach here dem open eye. They realize that u don't have to pray to get things done

G B A M!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by acuton: 10:33am On Jun 16, 2009
hum!
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by guruno1(m): 8:34am On Jun 22, 2009
simply they lack conviction

christainity without purpose and direction

thanks you

Victor Chidi O.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by acuton: 3:09pm On Jun 22, 2009
you guys are really saying the truth, more comment pls
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by tpia5: 1:16am On Nov 20, 2013
"more comment" and then everybody stopped posting.

i wonder why.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by cold(m): 1:53am On Nov 20, 2013
That's because as soon as they cross the shores to the other divide they discover they've been living a terrible lie foisted on them by a dysfunctional society where you're indoctrinated to believe prayer solves everything,from health issues to safe driving & everything in between. A society deeply entrenched in squalor & demeaning poverty but some smart alecs try to convince you to give even the little you have with the hope of tripling or even quadrupling it. You're made to believe you can never be successful in life without accepting a certain god in your life,amongst a whole load of other bullshitt one is fed with.
Then you cross to the other side,& it's a whole new world. A functional system where everything works as it ought. Running water,steady electricity,smooth wide roads,security of life & property & top notch medical facility.You suddenly discover you don't have to dissipate your energy supplicating to an imaginary friend to achieve anything in life. Merit stays ahead of mediocrity. Suddenly the wool falls off their eyes,they see the truth for what it truly is. That is when they 'backslide' to use your words. Some continue to pretend in order not to rock the boat whilst others just come out of the closet & admit they've been duped for the better part of their lives but never again.
Furthermore,keep in mind that this religion you cling to so tenaciously was given to you by these same Europeans. So if they have ditched it,they must know something you don't. Food for thought

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by cold(m): 1:58am On Nov 20, 2013
Oops! I just saw a comment by bawomolo & discovered something wasn't right that was when i looked at the date..sigh
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by tpia5: 2:38am On Nov 20, 2013
yes, sometimes you see his posts on some of these old threads.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by tpia5: 2:39am On Nov 20, 2013
cold: That's because as soon as they cross the shores to the other divide they discover they've been living a terrible lie foisted on them by a dysfunctional society where you're indoctrinated to believe prayer solves everything,from health issues to safe driving & everything in between. A society deeply entrenched in squalor & demeaning poverty but some smart alecs try to convince you to give even the little you have with the hope of tripling or even quadrupling it. You're made to believe you can never be successful in life without accepting a certain god in your life,amongst a whole load of other bullshitt one is fed with.
Then you cross to the other side,& it's a whole new world. A functional system where everything works as it ought. Running water,steady electricity,smooth wide roads,security of life & property & top notch medical facility.You suddenly discover you don't have to dissipate your energy supplicating to an imaginary friend to achieve anything in life. Merit stays ahead of mediocrity. Suddenly the wool falls off their eyes,they see the truth for what it truly is. That is when they 'backslide' to use your words. Some continue to pretend in order not to rock the boat whilst others just come out of the closet & admit they've been duped for the better part of their lives but never again.
Furthermore,keep in mind that this religion you cling to so tenaciously was given to you by these same Europeans. So if they have ditched it,they must know something you don't. Food for thought

sounds like you've wanted to offload this for a while.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by Nobody: 8:00am On Nov 20, 2013
cold: That's because as soon as they cross the shores to the other divide they discover they've been living a terrible lie foisted on them by a dysfunctional society where you're indoctrinated to believe prayer solves everything,from health issues to safe driving & everything in between. A society deeply entrenched in squalor & demeaning poverty but some smart alecs try to convince you to give even the little you have with the hope of tripling or even quadrupling it. You're made to believe you can never be successful in life without accepting a certain god in your life,amongst a whole load of other bullshitt one is fed with.

Well said....The average white british man is not religious. He prefers to work rather than pray for work. about 36% of british dont believe in religion or God in the UK. Yet, their country is better organised with world class education and social services

When a thinking Nigerian goes to the UK and find that he has been sold a lie, of course he will adapt to a better structure that he will find in the UK. Nigeria has churches and mosques everywhere but no progress. Nigeria is one of the most religious counties in the world yet we are corrupt and backwards.....

Sorry but you christians can keep your born again nonsense to yourselves. Japan, the UK, Sweden, Norway etc which are some of the best countries in the world were not developed by christianity or prayer but by hardwork, secularism, progressive thinking and patriotism.

A word is enough for the wise

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 20, 2013
tpia@:

sounds like you've wanted to offload this for a while.

Are you a mind reader or just silly?

Which is it?
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians ´´Born Again´´ Get Backslided When They Travel Abroad by nora544: 11:18am On Nov 20, 2013
I have many friends from nigeria and when they come in my country and we go to church they see the difference between this new churches in nigeria and the churches we have here.

I remember when they ask me why our pastors and priest didnot preach about tithing and sowing seed but preaching about love each other, don't give up when you have a hard time God will help you and when god see that you work hard you will have success.

A real christian life is not how much you can tithe but it is about the love you can give to other people like helping the poor, helping the people who need it, give your time when you go to a home for old people and when you make something with them.

They cannot beliefe that at the end of every sunday mass the priest or pastor tell the churchmembers about the offering they get last sunday and what they will do with it.

They see when you work hard you will have a good life, and they see that they don't need to sew seed that they get perhaps rich and that God is no money printing machine like nigerian pastors preach. The only person who get rich are this fake man of God.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Religion And Doubts- We Are All Athiests / Zahid Khan's 32 Sins Of The Prophet OF ISLAM / The Name JESUS Mysteriously Written By Unseen Hand In The Sky

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.