Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,801 members, 7,813,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder (1307 Views)

F-1 Visa Application. Please I Need Assistance. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / K-1 Visa, Administrative Processing, Received Phone Call From Embassy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by tmangrenadier: 7:39am On Dec 29, 2015
Hi guys. I am about to complete my Bachelors degree in Chemistry in the U.S and moving towards graduate school. I wanted to visit my family once during the summer before I am to begin graduate school next august. My visa has expired since 2013 but I have been in school. How tough is the visa interview in Nigeria for candidates who had their bachelors program in the U.S? I appreciate all feedback.

Thanks.
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by NaLaugh: 11:28am On Dec 29, 2015
tmangrenadier:
Hi guys. I am about to complete my Bachelors degree in Chemistry in the U.S and moving towards graduate school. I wanted to visit my family once during the summer before I am to begin graduate school next august. My visa has expired since 2013 but I have been in school. How tough is the visa interview in Nigeria for candidates who had their bachelors program in the U.S? I appreciate all feedback.

Thanks.

I don't imagine it should be "tough" if you adhered to all visa limitations during your bachelors.

If you've violated the rules, e.g non-renewal of visa (if required) then expect a steep process.
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by tmangrenadier: 4:29pm On Dec 29, 2015
Thank you for your feedback. It is my understanding that the F-1 visa expiration is no big deal as far as I was in school. My other question is, do you think my visa process will be steeper? because at some point during my bachelors, I participated in the Diversity Visa lottery when Nigeria was still eligible.

Thanks.
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by tmangrenadier: 6:04am On Dec 30, 2015
NaLaugh:

I don't imagine it should be "tough" if you adhered to all visa limitations during your bachelors.

If you've violated the rules, e.g non-renewal of visa (if required) then expect a steep process.

Thank you for your feedback. It is my understanding that the F-1 visa expiration is no big deal as far as I was in school. My other question is, do you think my visa process will be steeper? because at some point during my bachelors, I participated in the Diversity Visa lottery when Nigeria was still eligible.
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by NaLaugh: 7:26am On Dec 30, 2015
tmangrenadier:

You would want to inquire directly from official sources, whether or not the non-renewal is an issue.
If it is, then make sure you take careful steps to address it officially before leaving the country, or you might have troubles returning.

Your past DV lottery application will have zero effect on any other visa application.
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by tmangrenadier: 4:50pm On Dec 30, 2015
NaLaugh:

You would want to inquire directly from official sources, whether or not the non-renewal is an issue.
If it is, then make sure you take careful steps to address it officially before leaving the country, or you might have troubles returning.

Your past DV lottery application will have zero effect on any other visa application.

Thank you for your answers. I appreciate it a lot!!

1 Like

Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by cozybunch: 7:02pm On Dec 30, 2015
tmangrenadier:

Thanks.

I do have a huge concern thou. Even when you are in school, you need to keep up with your immigration status. Being in school is one thing, being legal and keeping your immigration requirements is other.

Whoever tells you that it does not matter is not saying the truth. In their minds you have over stayed your immigration requirements. Yes you can even proof that you ' ve been in school all these why, but you will be asked why did you not renew your visa status.

It is a big concern if asked.

Good Luck.
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by ttmacoy: 2:43pm On Dec 31, 2015
The is a difference between the visa expiration date and the duration of status.

If he has been within the duration of his F1 status then he will be fine even if the visa has expired.

If he is outside his duration of status i.e. stopped full time education then he will have issues.

cozybunch:

I do have a huge concern thou. Even when you are in school, you need to keep up with your immigration status. Being in school is one thing, being legal and keeping your immigration requirements is other.

Whoever tells you that it does not matter is not saying the truth. In their minds you have over stayed your immigration requirements. Yes you can even proof that you ' ve been in school all these why, but you will be asked why did you not renew your visa status.

It is a big concern if asked.

Good Luck.
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by cozybunch: 2:56pm On Dec 31, 2015
ttmacoy:
The is a difference between the visa expiration date and the duration of status.

If he has been within the duration of his F1 status then he will be fine even if the visa has expired.

If he is outside his duration of status i.e. stopped full time education then he will have issues.

Perfectly do understand that. Not withstanding, it is still a concern. He has to prove his student status which would've been avoided if he renewed it.

If he goes home without sorting it out here, it becomes difficult with the consulate office in Nigeria. Little things that matters, could matter a lot.

Good Luck.

Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by tmangrenadier: 9:33pm On Dec 31, 2015
[quote author=cozybunch post=41520134][/quote]

Thanks for the replies. I understand that it would have been easier to renew before now. However, I am not leaving until i have been accepted into a graduate school and I have registered for classes and whatnot. That way, I will have a more compelling grounds for issuance of visa. Do you think that sounds reasonable?
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by cozybunch: 1:38am On Jan 01, 2016
[quote author=cozybunch post=41520134][/quote]

I do understand, perfectly in tuned on how it works. He still will have issues with renewal

Good Luck
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by cozybunch: 2:05am On Jan 01, 2016
tmangrenadier:

Thanks for the replies. I understand that it would have been easier to renew before now. However, I am not leaving until i have been accepted into a graduate school and I have registered for classes and whatnot. That way, I will have a more compelling grounds for issuance of visa. Do you think that sounds reasonable?

Well still tricky. Do that thou, but apply for FOIA. Is freedom of information with uscis. With that you will have true or real time situation on your student status.

Good Luck
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by tmangrenadier: 2:18am On Jan 01, 2016
NaLaugh:

I applied for a phd program in chemistry. Normally, the tuition is waived for phd students and even health insurance. Do you guys think i would have to show bank statements as I normally would if i did not have any school financial help?
Re: Masters F-1 Visa For A U.S Bachelors Degree Holder by NaLaugh: 4:32am On Jan 03, 2016
tmangrenadier:

I applied for a phd program in chemistry. Normally, the tuition is waived for phd students and even health insurance. Do you guys think i would have to show bank statements as I normally would if i did not have any school financial help?

Honestly, I don't know. I'm a citizen, so I didn't attend college as an international student, where such proof of finances may apply.

I would recommend compiling all questions you have and emailing the immigration/education authorities in charge of those.
That way, you'll have definitive answers.

It helps to source opinions from forums like this, but at the end of the day, they're just opinions and can lead to missteps.

(1) (Reply)

Migrating To Togo / The Most Distinctive Taxis From Around The World (photos) / Pls How Can I Get An Australian Work/student Visa 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.