Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. (32356 Views)

JAMB - The Way Forward / An Insight Into Studying Abroad: A Nigerian Perspective / An Insight Into Studying Abroad: A Nigerian Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by GoldEnyong(m): 6:05pm On Dec 30, 2015
I have copied you loud and clear. I can now understand
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by bonechamberlain(m): 6:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:
Bullshit.
I repeat again, Bullshit.

Banning the use of ATM cards abroad ain't the solution to Naira's problem.
You can't send Western union out from Nigeria to other countries, when Nigerians abroad get low on cash and decides to steal, Una go say them dey bring us bad name.
Another bullshit.
Who are you gonna deceive with that pile of steaming shiit you just wrote.
I have a degree in Marketing.
You're making Nigerians look uneducated.
Have you heard of Pegged Exchange Rate ??
It's a type of Exchange Rate regime where a currency's value is fixed against either the value of another single currency.
In a fixed exchange-rate system, a country’s central bank typically uses an open market mechanism and is committed at all times to buy and/or sell its currency at a fixed price in order to maintain its pegged ratio and, hence, the stable value of its currency in relation to the reference to which it is pegged. The central bank provides the assets and/or the foreign currency or currencies which are needed in order to finance any payments imbalances.
The last large economy to use a fixed exchange rate system was the People's Republic of China which, in July 2005, adopted a slightly more flexible exchange rate system called a managed exchange rate. The European Exchange Rate Mechanism is also used on a temporary basis to establish a final conversion rate against the Euro (€) from the local currencies of countries joining the Eurozone.
Jamaica, United kingdom and the United States of America also used the method.

I wish i can see you face to face so i can seize your degree and send your ass back to primary school

the policy might be good, but the first thing a responsible govt should do is to support production, ensure. steady power supply, create an alternative for does abroad on how they can use their money, Nigeria is not in a good shape for this kind of policy, buhari wants to climb a 15 steps ladder by skipping 13 steps.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by bonechamberlain(m): 6:15pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:
Bullshit.

You can't send Western union out from Nigeria to other countries, when Nigerians abroad get low on cash and decides to steal, Una go say them dey bring us bad name.
Another bullshit.
It's a type of Exchange Rate regime where a currency's value is fixed against either the value of another single currency.
In a fixed exchange-rate system, a country’s central bank typically uses an open market mechanism and is committed at all times to buy and/or sell its currency at a fixed price in order to maintain its pegged ratio and, hence, the stable value of its currency in relation to the reference to which it is pegged. The central bank provides the assets and/or the foreign currency or currencies which are needed in order to finance any payments imbalances.
The last large economy to use a fixed exchange rate system was the People's Republic of China which, in July 2005, adopted a slightly more flexible exchange rate system called a managed exchange rate. The European Exchange Rate Mechanism is also used on a temporary basis to establish a final conversion rate against the Euro (€) from the local currencies of countries joining the Eurozone.

I wish i can see you face to face so i can seize your degree and send your ass back to primary school

the policy might be good, but the first thing a responsible govt should do is to support production, ensure. steady power supply, create an alternative for does abroad on how they can use their money, Nigeria is not in a good shape for this kind of policy, buhari wants to climb a 15 steps ladder by skipping 13 steps.

am sure this can never make naira strong against the dollar as long as we export almost nothing only oil.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Lousymouth(m): 6:17pm On Dec 30, 2015
You mean you think and talk stupidly
rottennaija:

You talk stupidity. The president and his economic team took the decisions. If he and his team weren't smart, do you think they would have understood the problem and took actions against? And do you think that their measures will stop there?

You think stupidity
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by munky(m): 6:32pm On Dec 30, 2015
[quote author=Enangson post=41483221]Nigerians should also be ban from schooling or embarking on any kind of trip abroad so as to boast the economy.[/quote

You are a very big fool.

1 Like

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by feaworaoja007: 6:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
[color=#770077][/color]I listened to a phone conversation btw a popular politican and an unknown guy sometine ago online and it has led me to believe that these kinda policies are targeted @ certain group of people that make their livng via "Import" and ssales of products. In Nigeria.
That being saiid,this poliicy wont affect the politicians And their families but will go a long way .In widening the gap btw tthe "haves and the have-nots" as a post sometine ago narrated it here on nairaland.
This policy will ensure. That average. Nigerians do not get the type of. Quality education or interaction they need to break out of a certain social class.
This policy's tantamount to slavery!
Afterall,is it ther money!
We .Should have the right to spend our legally earned money hoowever we want!
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by SmooshCHN: 6:49pm On Dec 30, 2015
Of course it's a good policy on the long run. I school in china and guess what, it's not Lagos where you can just come out to start working as a foreigner of selling stuffs anyhow especially being a student. Money is needed. It's not funny at all. It's not our fault we strive to get better education or chase higher degree by the way I've schooled in Nigeria's Uni. I totally believe something can be done concerning the Students or Non-working Nigerians abroad without the CBN imposing this hardship on us. It's hardship internally and externally especially with the STARING FACT that Niageria is not yet a major producing or exporting country apart from crude oil which is fast becoming a joke. Internal revenue is still sub-par. Production and exporting can only balance this. The #50,000 limit imposed on us in 2015 can be dropped to #30,000. Diasporans suffering wont fix low income or boost it either if there is no production or exporting asides Cruse Oil. It's a good move only when a country can sustain itself in terms of food, communication and technology services of which Nigeria is not yet one.

1 Like

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Amberon: 6:50pm On Dec 30, 2015
we can make the bet right here on NL. the winner gets it all and loser gets Nil. I don't bail on my promises. You'll be disappointed to see yourself lose.
Atmmachine:

Ok.
Let's watch out and see.
I wish i knew you in real life, we would have placed a bet that $1 will be 400 naira by 2016 December even with the ban placed on Atm card usage outside Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by SmooshCHN: 6:52pm On Dec 30, 2015
bonechamberlain:

am sure this can never make naira strong against the dollar as long as we export almost nothing only oil.
God bless your understanding. Imagine a student abroad needs to extend his residence permit, by now he'll be deported cos there's no money. If only Nigeria can support itself without any help then this is a good move but for now, Nigeria is still young and can't endure such hardship.

1 Like

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by bfatoba(m): 7:03pm On Dec 30, 2015
OP, your point is absolutely rubbish, you fail to account for the amount of international students and business people that operate and live in Nigeria... you have no business sense and your write up is so one sided... Nigerians abroad came in third for the most amount of money sent back home this year and it wasn't in Naira. I forgot the exact amount but if you look up the thread, you can find the amount. The amount is in the Billions of Dollars and that does not include the amount of fraudulent money that enters Nigeria unaccounted for. An estimate of that amount shows that Nigeria made almost trillions of dollars from fraud, this fiscal year.

those particular students you claim, will all start working in Ghana or wherever in the world and will begin to send back more money than invested in them. thats just the simple truth. your write up is biased and uneducated and you need to sit down and rethink your points.

The CBN's initiative with regards to the BVN is not to cut of fraud at home with the politicians or what have you?, its to make fraudulent money going into Nigeria more traceable. so that next time, other governments will be able to see that, "Nnamdi or Shola" who looks like this and has these biometric was responsible for the fraudulent act.

BVN is the equivalent of a social Insurance number, in countries where such exist and because Nigeria is a member of the G20, such information will be shared with other G20 member who are complaining about loosing money to Nigeria's Fraudulent ways. I'm sure eventually the people will find a way around these new measures so it's just a matter of time as no system is perfect.

But now your biometrics is joined to your sim card, which is joined to your bank account, which is joined to your Nepa bill, or National ID. which means at any moment, anyone who is technologically savy can triangulate your whereabouts, to +/-5meters.

I got a little carried away there, but the write up is bogus, more money goes into Nigeria, than comes out...

you can still withdraw from your Naira card abroad, but there are limits though, I think you can only withdraw $300 per day.

3 Likes

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Infinitikoncept(m): 7:06pm On Dec 30, 2015
LivingDiamond:
After careful reading of the op's points, i can say dats a very good write up..But i think what we are facing now is just the results of profligacy and lack of vision of our past and ever present leaders...Think of billions in cash dats been transported abroad frm our economy, it sickens me weneva i hear of our leaders spending in dollars in our country.. No 1 cares abt our Naira again, all dey flaunt abt is d num of dollars u have @ hand...Hopefully, wth more policies coming on from ds administration, tins will get better because d system has been deeply rotten to be healed overnight.
Lets hope for d best to come...
God bless Nairaland
God bless Nigeria @ large..
#Selah

Modified: The poster above me is just ranting and not passing a single message...An example of niggas who flaunts degrees and downpour all what they read in school wth no sense of communication...Tell us why d policy is faulty and give us an alternative way out, but no, he's shouting abt one degree in marketing..Bullshit!
His reference one and two are not related so the whole analysis is in shambles cox comparing deposit bank rate to CBN rate is outta point.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by erico2k2(m): 7:39pm On Dec 30, 2015
bfatoba:
OP, your point is absolutely rubbish, you fail to account for the amount of international students and business people that operate and live in Nigeria... you have no business sense and your write up is so one sided... Nigerians abroad came in third for the most amount of money sent back home this year and it wasn't in Naira. I forgot the exact amount but if you look up the thread, you can find the amount. The amount is in the Billions of Dollars and that does not include the amount of fraudulent money that enters Nigeria unaccounted for. An estimate of that amount shows that Nigeria made almost trillions of dollars from fraud, this fiscal year.

those particular students you claim, will all start working in Ghana or wherever in the world and will begin to send back more money than invested in them. thats just the simple truth. your write up is biased and uneducated and you need to sit down and rethink your points.

The CBN's initiative with regards to the BVN is not to cut of fraud at home with the politicians or what have you?, its to make fraudulent money going into Nigeria more traceable. so that next time, other governments will be able to see that, "Nnamdi or Shola" who looks like this and has these biometric was responsible for the fraudulent act.

BVN is the equivalent of a social Insurance number, in countries where such exist and because Nigeria is a member of the G20, such information will be shared with other G20 member who are complaining about loosing money to Nigeria's Fraudulent ways. I'm sure eventually the people will find a way around these new measures so it's just a matter of time as no system is perfect.

But now your biometrics is joined to your sim card, which is joined to your bank account, which is joined to your Nepa bill, or National ID. which means at any moment, anyone who is technologically savy can triangulate your whereabouts, to +/-5meters.

I got a little carried away there, but the write up is bogus, more money goes into Nigeria, than comes out...

you can still withdraw from your Naira card abroad, but there are limits though, I think you can only withdraw $300 per day.
U can't withdraw abroad with your 9ja atm.I'm in such delis now as we speak
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by kenchylala: 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
IbXavier:
By : Apena Ibrahim Adeboye

This is a personal analysis which is subjected to empirically backed criticism.

As at 7th of December 2015, Naira to dollar stood at ₦250 to $1, which was the highest fall of Naira to Dollar in history (Reference 1). As at today 28th of December, 2015, Naira to dollar stands at ₦197 to $1 (Reference 2), this shows there is an improvement.

All the same, have you ever asked why the value of Naira keeps dropping its value, Have you ever imagine if exchange rate of naira to dollar stands at ₦500 to $1, Did you make research on why use of NAIRA ATM abroad was ban ? (Kindly read reference 4 to know why). All these will help us understand the effect of the Ban of Naira ATM usage outside Nigeria.

It’s no news that some Nigerians in Diaspora are working towards protesting against the ban of Naira ATM abroad, especially those studying. With due respect, it's shameful that some Students who schooled or are schooling outside the country, especially those who offered or are offering business related courses do not understand why the inability to use Naira ATM outside Nigeria will be better off in the long run. Let’s kindly visit Economics as a course before complaining, though I am not an economics expert but I will apply the fair knowledge I have by the grace of God.

Let’s start with a simple analysis, this analysis will focus mainly on those schooling outside Nigeria;

SCENARIO ONE
Schooling Abroad and its effect on Naira. (Nigerians Schooling in Ghana as a case study)
The case study below is used for about 200,000 Nigerians schooling in Ghana, according to statistical fact (Reference 3)
Scenario Effect on Naira & Nigeria economy
1. Average School fees for a student per year ₦400,000_ Naira Out , Nothing In ,
2. Accommodation for about ₦100,000_ Naira Out , Nothing In,
3. Living expense of about ₦300,000 _ Naira Out , Nothing In,
Total expenses incurred by a Foreign trained Nigerian annually _₦800,000 Out, Nothing In.

Cost for 200,000 students per year ₦160,000,000,000 (₦160B)
Total expenses in 4 years ₦640,000,000,000 Out, Nothing In

Note:
Living expenses of 200,000 foreign trained in Ghana alone for a year is about ₦60,000,000,000 (₦60B)

Over 200,000 Nigerian were schooling in Ghana as at 2013.
(Reference 3)
SCENARIO TWO
1. Mr Ade imports phone to sell in Nigeria with about ₦100,000 each.
2. A student who schools in Ghana left this phone to buy the same worth of phone in Ghana.
EFFECT OF SCENARIO TWO
1. ₦100,000 gone out of Nigeria, ₦100,000 worth of Phone Imported (balanced)
2. ₦100,000 worth of phone ignored by student, yet such student took another ₦100,000 out of Nigeria to buy same phone in Ghana without any return to Nigeria. This means Nigeria has lost 100,000 to the Ghana Market despite having such product in Nigeria. Funny enough, if such phone is stolen before such student gets back to Nigeria, it means such student has made Ghana economy ₦100,000 better.

In one semester, an average Nigerian Schooling in Ghana must have spent about 800,000 of Nigerian currency in Ghana. Assuming we have about 200,000 Nigerians schooling in Ghana, it means about ₦160B is spent in Ghana education system within a year without any monetary return for Nigeria. Assuming this 160B is invested in Business , it would have been better because we would get goods in return for such chunk of money going out of the country , bear in mind that there are a lot of Nigerian students scattered around the world, Just imagine how much schooling abroad alone is taking out of Nigerian economy annually, imagine how much money spent on luxurious items , Health and so on in Ghana and other countries, Trillions of Naira. Have you imagined what it would look like if these monies are invested in our educational sector? That by the way.

After schooling abroad, some of the foreign trained do not even think of coming back to create jobs in the country, they rather think of coming back to earn from a white collar job, having used their certificate to bully home trained Nigerian Graduates. Does this really justify the huge amount spent on education outside Nigeria, Though, it’s a fact that knowledge must have been acquired and one can spend as much as possible to acquire knowledge.

As an average Nigerian Schooling outside the country, it’s normal to feel very bad when such news is broken (Ban of Naira ATM abroad). However, it will be a big disgrace to jump up to protest over it without understanding what is being protested about.
The question is simple ,
1. Do we prefer the value of naira to keep falling while we have access to spend naira anyhow outside Nigeria or we reduce the amount of naira going out and maintain a valuable naira.
2. The amount of Nigerians in diaspora are not up to 20% of those in Nigeria, thus , do we suffer those in Nigeria for the happiness of those in Diaspora or those who travel out to flex on vacation.

Imagine you wake up one day to see the exchange rate of naira to dollar standing at 500 Naira to 1 Dollar, Do you think it will be easy for parents to pay fees abroad.

SUGGESTIONS
1. Students schooling or intending to school abroad should rather think of how government can help in providing a means for students to transfer their school fees and money for upkeep. Though, this should be regulated, but not to protest over the Ban of ATM usage Abroad. NANS Excos and other student activist abroad should get to work on how to get alternatives for students to get money abroad. Who knows , students might be allowed to use Naira ATM abroad but lets consider the effect.
2. Most traveling outside Nigeria , especially within African countries should stop the habit of taking naira out to buy what can be bought in Nigeria , eg Phones , Laptop e.t.c
3. This is also the best avenue to challenge the government to work on the educational sector of Nigeria so that Nigerians will stop wasting chunk of money on schooling outside. In Ghana alone, Nigerians spends about 160,000,000,000 on education. The question is ;
a. How many people come to Nigeria to study or spend such money?
b. How many countries appreciate the monies spent by Nigerians in their economy.
Thus, if government won’t allow free usage of Naira ATM for students, then, they should provide alternatives or better our education system by scrapping JAMB and POST JAMB.

RECOMMENDATIONS TO LEARNED COLLEAGUES
Please let's apply what we learnt in school. When we spend more of our currency to import without Export, the value of Naira will keep dropping. So let’s plead to government to rather work on a policy to support fees payment and up keep money for students schooling abroad, also for business men. Also why are we not thinking of business we can do in abroad , afterwards , we send the little money you earn to Nigerian banks.

CONCLUSION
This literally mean , we are giving out without receiving except from petrol which is our major source of income , NB , price of Petrol is also dropping. If you give out without receiving you must reduce in whatever you have. This is one of the reasons why naira is dropping value. Therefore, ban of Naira ATM use outside Nigeria is a good policy. I don’t care who the governor of Central Bank of Nigeria is but I salute him/her for this. At least , this Policy should be maintained till Naira can be equivalent to about ₦100 – $1 dollars. If buhari Claims to take ₦1-$1, Do we think he will just perform Miracles, these are some of the ways to achieve it. Lets think of what to do so that others will come and spend or invest in our economy, However, there should be a way out for those who genuinely need to use the ATM outside Nigeria (Businessmen, students and likes ) Surely Politicians and those who pay visit to other countries Should be totally BANNED from use of Naira ATM abroad, amount taken out of Nigeria should be regulated.

This write up is not in any way to support any political party but for the betterment of Nigeria. Change and betterment will not occur if we won’t pay the price, ABOVE ALL, THIS IS A TEMPORARY MEASURE FOR THE SAKE OF STABILIZING THINGS. It is mainly geared towards those who spend naira on luxurious stuffs abroad.

Thank you for reading, comments to enlighten me are welcomed.

Reference
Referece 1 https://www.thecable.ng/finally-naira-falls-to-dreaded-2501

Reference 2 http://www.cenbank.org/rates/ExchRateByCurrency.asp

Reference 3 http://www.vanguardngr.com/…/nigerian-students-spend-n100b…/

Reference 4 http://thecitizenng.com/…/banks-blame-atm-card-ban-abroad-…/

Refeerence 5 http://ynaija.com/why-we-cant-reverse-ban-on-atm-card-use-…/

Nigerians should also be ban from schooling or embarking on any kind of trip abroad so as to boast the economy. Whn you leave the main issues n treat d effects, fix our economy, fix power, fix health sector, fix education sector, make 9ja a place like Dubai. After which u apply this
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by IbXavier: 8:56pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:
Bullshit.

Another bullshit.

What a wonderful submission, with due respect sir, maybe you should write to the CBN or President's office to put this into consideration. DO you think they have not thought of all these. if they did not , you can enlighten them. All the same , your last paragraph was is not necessary.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by IbXavier: 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2015
Demmocrats:
Someone should explain to the OP the meaning of the way forward, he never provided a solution for the problem and never thought about some people that read courses that are not offered in Nigeria so what do you want them to do, wait till our government work on our education system.

with due respect sir , government can always provide a way out for students and genuine business men and not those who go out to flex, anyone who want to flex should do so in Nigeria.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Kingnonny(m): 9:10pm On Dec 30, 2015
Please, Op don't tell me this rubbish. How could unresponsive govt like ours expect the innocents citizens to suffer they lack directions and I'll vision leadership. For how long will you expect us suffer just for things to get better. The government should first get the economy in good condition or better still make sure all those areas that permit money to leave the country without return is addressed. Think of foreign education, why the rush to travel abroad for school is the education system here OK, is it by anyway the caused by the citizens, then why do expect the citizens who are looking for better education to suffer because I am a Nigerian. In the other hand you want people to stop shoping abroad Cos no money is coming in when shopping is done abroad, who do you blame for that. Guy, our Govt has failed us and this current policy is just an indication that this govt don't have anything better to when it comes to our dear poor economy. Do you tell your child to stop having fever cos he's having malaria or to treat the actual cause of the main problem which is malaria and was caused by many factors you could fixed. OK the government just want to achieve a good economy by managing expenditure without any way of making money or creating some kind of opportunities to boost the aggregate economy. Govt should create in Nigeria those things our people go outside to pay for. With all these banning and without any way bring people back home that's just a big time bomb that can never be avoided.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Kingnonny(m): 9:12pm On Dec 30, 2015
Please, Op don't tell me this rubbish. How could unresponsive govt like ours expect the innocent citizens to suffer they lack directions and with ill vision leadership. For how long will you expect us suffer just for things to get better. The government should first get the economy in good condition or better still make sure all those areas that permit money to leave the country without return is addressed. Think of foreign education, why the rush to travel abroad for school is the education system here OK, is it by anyway the caused by the citizens, then why do expect the citizens who are looking for better education to suffer because I am a Nigerian. In the other hand you want people to stop shoping abroad Cos no money is coming in when shopping is done abroad, who do you blame for that. Guy, our Govt has failed us and this current policy is just an indication that this govt don't have anything better to when it comes to our dear poor economy. Do you tell your child to stop having fever cos he's having malaria or to treat the actual cause of the main problem which is malaria and was caused by many factors you could fixed. OK the government just want to achieve a good economy by managing expenditure without any way of making money or creating some kind of opportunities to boost the aggregate economy. Govt should create in Nigeria those things our people go outside to pay for. With all these banning and without any way bring people back home that's just a big time bomb that can never be avoided.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Kingnonny(m): 9:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
Please, Op don't tell me this rubbish. How could unresponsive govt like ours expect the innocent citizens to suffer, they lack directions and with ill vision leadership. For how long will you expect us suffer just for things to get better. The government should first get the economy in good condition or better still make sure all those areas that permit money to leave the country without return is addressed. Think of foreign education, why the rush to travel abroad for school, is the education system here OK, is it by anyway the caused by the citizens, then why do expect the citizens who are looking for better education to suffer because I am a Nigerian. In the other hand you want people to stop shoping abroad Cos no money is coming in when shopping is done abroad, who do you blame for that. Guy, our Govt has failed us and this current policy is just an indication that this govt don't have anything better to when it comes to our dear poor economy. Do you tell your child to stop having fever cos he's having malaria or to treat the actual cause of the main problem which is malaria and was caused by many factors you could fixed. OK the government just want to achieve a good economy by managing expenditure without any way of making money or creating some kind of opportunities to boost the aggregate economy. Govt should create in Nigeria those things our people go outside to pay for. With all these banning and without any way bring people back home that's just a big time bomb that can never be avoided.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by IbXavier: 9:15pm On Dec 30, 2015
Infinitikoncept:

His reference one and two are not related so the whole analysis is in shambles cox comparing deposit bank rate to CBN rate is outta point.

Reference one and two are just to show where i got the exchange rates i quoted from.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Kingnonny(m): 9:16pm On Dec 30, 2015
Please, Op don't tell me this rubbish. How could unresponsive govt like ours expect the innocent citizens to suffer, they lack directions and with ill vision leadership. For how long will you expect us suffer just for things to get better. The government should first get the economy in good condition or better still make sure all those areas that permit money to leave the country without return is addressed. Think of foreign education, why the rush to travel abroad for school, is the education system here OK, is it by anyway caused by the citizens, then why do expect the citizens who are looking for better education to suffer because I am a Nigerian. In the other hand you want people to stop shoping abroad Cos no money is coming in when shopping is done abroad, who do you blame for that. Guy, our Govt has failed us and this current policy is just an indication that this govt don't have anything better to when it comes to our dear poor economy. Do you tell your child to stop having fever cos he's having malaria or to treat the actual cause of the main problem which is malaria and was caused by many factors you could fixed. OK the government just want to achieve a good economy by managing expenditure without any way of making money or creating some kind of opportunities to boost the aggregate economy. Govt should create in Nigeria those things our people go outside to pay for. With all these banning and without any way bring people back home that's just a big time bomb that can never be avoided.

1 Like

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Kingnonny(m): 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2015
Please, Op don't tell me this rubbish. How could unresponsive govt like ours expect the innocent citizens to suffer, they lack directions and with ill vision leadership. For how long will you expect us suffer just for things to get better. The government should first get the economy in good condition or better still make sure all those areas that permit money to leave the country without return is addressed. Think of foreign education, why the rush to travel abroad for school, is the education system here OK, is it by anyway caused by the citizens, then why do expect the citizens who are looking for better education to suffer because I am a Nigerian. In the other hand you want people to stop shoping abroad Cos no money is coming in when shopping is done abroad, who do you blame for that. Guy, our Govt has failed us and this current policy is just an indication that this govt don't have anything better to offer when it comes to our dear poor economy. Do you tell your child to stop having fever cos he's having malaria or to treat the actual cause of the main problem which is malaria and was caused by many factors you could fixed. OK the government just want to achieve a good economy by managing expenditure without any way of making money or creating some kind of opportunities to boost the aggregate economy. Govt should create in Nigeria those things our people go outside to pay for. With all these banning and without any way bring people back home that's just a big time bomb that can never be avoided.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by kayalla(f): 9:23pm On Dec 30, 2015
so we re like going back to the stone age of carrying cash, i know that in Nigeria water ever goes up never comes down and whatever comes down never goes up. they had better fix this problem now before it gets out of hand. did they think of the implications of this before they chose it as last option?
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Infinitikoncept(m): 9:27pm On Dec 30, 2015
IbXavier:

Reference one and two are just to show where i got the exchange rates i quoted from.
Then you ain't in the know. The rates you quoted ain't corresponding ones. CBN is different from commercial banks rate. As at the time commercial was #285 during Xmas period CBN was still operating below #200 which has been their rate for more than eight months ago
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by duwdu: 9:29pm On Dec 30, 2015
IbXavier:

As at 7th of December 2015, Naira to dollar stood at ₦250 to $1, which was the highest fall of Naira to Dollar in history (Reference 1). As at today 28th of December, 2015, Naira to dollar stands at ₦197 to $1 (Reference 2), this shows there is an improvement.

All the same, have you ever asked why the value of Naira keeps dropping its value, Have you ever imagine if exchange rate of naira to dollar stands at ₦500 to $1, Did you make research on why use of NAIRA ATM abroad was ban ? (Kindly read reference 4 to know why). All these will help us understand the effect of the Ban of Naira ATM usage outside Nigeria.

It’s no news that some Nigerians in Diaspora are working towards protesting against the ban of Naira ATM abroad, especially those studying. With due respect, it's shameful that some Students who schooled or are schooling outside the country, especially those who offered or are offering business related courses do not understand why the inability to use Naira ATM outside Nigeria will be better off in the long run. Let’s kindly visit Economics as a course before complaining, though I am not an economics expert but I will apply the fair knowledge I have by the grace of God.

Let’s start with a simple analysis, this analysis will focus mainly on those schooling outside Nigeria;

SCENARIO ONE
Schooling Abroad and its effect on Naira. (Nigerians Schooling in Ghana as a case study)
The case study below is used for about 200,000 Nigerians schooling in Ghana, according to statistical fact (Reference 3)
1. Average School fees for a student per year ₦400,000_ Naira Out , Nothing In ,
Total expenses incurred by a Foreign trained Nigerian annually _₦800,000 Out, Nothing In.

Note:
Living expenses of 200,000 foreign trained in Ghana alone for a year is about ₦60,000,000,000 (₦60B)

(Reference 3)
SCENARIO TWO
2. A student who schools in Ghana left this phone to buy the same worth of phone in Ghana.
EFFECT OF SCENARIO TWO
2. ₦100,000 worth of phone ignored by student, yet such student took another ₦100,000 out of Nigeria to buy same phone in Ghana without any return to Nigeria. This means Nigeria has lost 100,000 to the Ghana Market despite having such product in Nigeria. Funny enough, if such phone is stolen before such student gets back to Nigeria, it means such student has made Ghana economy ₦100,000 better.

In one semester, an average Nigerian Schooling in Ghana must have spent about 800,000 of Nigerian currency in Ghana. Assuming we have about 200,000 Nigerians schooling in Ghana, it means about ₦160B is spent in Ghana education system within a year without any monetary return for Nigeria. Assuming this 160B is invested in Business , it would have been better because we would get goods in return for such chunk of money going out of the country , bear in mind that there are a lot of Nigerian students scattered around the world, Just imagine how much schooling abroad alone is taking out of Nigerian economy annually, imagine how much money spent on luxurious items , Health and so on in Ghana and other countries, Trillions of Naira. Have you imagined what it would look like if these monies are invested in our educational sector? That by the way.

After schooling abroad, some of the foreign trained do not even think of coming back to create jobs in the country, they rather think of coming back to earn from a white collar job, having used their certificate to bully home trained Nigerian Graduates. Does this really justify the huge amount spent on education outside Nigeria, Though, it’s a fact that knowledge must have been acquired and one can spend as much as possible to acquire knowledge.

As an average Nigerian Schooling outside the country, it’s normal to feel very bad when such news is broken (Ban of Naira ATM abroad). However, it will be a big disgrace to jump up to protest over it without understanding what is being protested about.
The question is simple ,
1. Do we prefer the value of naira to keep falling while we have access to spend naira anyhow outside Nigeria or we reduce the amount of naira going out and maintain a valuable naira.
2. The amount of Nigerians in diaspora are not up to 20% of those in Nigeria, thus , do we suffer those in Nigeria for the happiness of those in Diaspora or those who travel out to flex on vacation.

Imagine you wake up one day to see the exchange rate of naira to dollar standing at 500 Naira to 1 Dollar, Do you think it will be easy for parents to pay fees abroad.

SUGGESTIONS
1. Students schooling or intending to school abroad should rather think of how government can help in providing a means for students to transfer their school fees and money for upkeep. Though, this should be regulated, but not to protest over the Ban of ATM usage Abroad. NANS Excos and other student activist abroad should get to work on how to get alternatives for students to get money abroad. Who knows , students might be allowed to use Naira ATM abroad but lets consider the effect.
2. Most traveling outside Nigeria , especially within African countries should stop the habit of taking naira out to buy what can be bought in Nigeria , eg Phones , Laptop e.t.c
3. This is also the best avenue to challenge the government to work on the educational sector of Nigeria so that Nigerians will stop wasting chunk of money on schooling outside. In Ghana alone, Nigerians spends about 160,000,000,000 on education. The question is ;
b. How many countries appreciate the monies spent by Nigerians in their economy.
Thus, if government won’t allow free usage of Naira ATM for students, then, they should provide alternatives or better our education system by scrapping JAMB and POST JAMB.

Please let's apply what we learnt in school. When we spend more of our currency to import without Export, the value of Naira will keep dropping. So let’s plead to government to rather work on a policy to support fees payment and up keep money for students schooling abroad, also for business men. Also why are we not thinking of business we can do in abroad , afterwards , we send the little money you earn to Nigerian banks.

CONCLUSION
This literally mean , we are giving out without receiving except from petrol which is our major source of income , NB , price of Petrol is also dropping. If you give out without receiving you must reduce in whatever you have. This is one of the reasons why naira is dropping value. Therefore, ban of Naira ATM use outside Nigeria is a good policy. I don’t care who the governor of Central Bank of Nigeria is but I salute him/her for this. At least , this Policy should be maintained till Naira can be equivalent to about ₦100 – $1 dollars. If buhari Claims to take ₦1-$1, Do we think he will just perform Miracles, these are some of the ways to achieve it. Lets think of what to do so that others will come and spend or invest in our economy, However, there should be a way out for those who genuinely need to use the ATM outside Nigeria (Businessmen, students and likes ) Surely Politicians and those who pay visit to other countries Should be totally BANNED from use of Naira ATM abroad, amount taken out of Nigeria should be regulated.

This write up is not in any way to support any political party but for the betterment of Nigeria. Change and betterment will not occur if we won’t pay the price, ABOVE ALL, THIS IS A TEMPORARY MEASURE FOR THE SAKE OF STABILIZING THINGS. It is mainly geared towards those who spend naira on luxurious stuffs abroad.

Reference

This write up makes perfect sense, thank you for doing this, OP!

Actually, and as far as I am concerned, anybody - particularly individual, private Nigerians - who wants to do any personal business abroad - including ordinary schooling - should by themselves source for the foreign component of the funds that will be required to undertake such a venture. After all, such people are relatively elite and could afford it (that is, are richer than the average Nigerian,) that's why they could produce the money anyways.

So, why rob poor Peter to pay rich Paul? In other words, why release the limited resources we have in the form of incoming earnings in foreign currencies to few, already rich individuals to spend on themselves abroad, instead of using such earnings to buy/bring in machinery and other goods that are not available locally, develop our industries and infrastructure, and by extension provide education and other resources to our teeming populace, to mention just a few?

Mehn, the policy should not be temporary; this opportunity should be used to permanently steer the society towards realizing that, if we want to truly develop internally, we should not be reaping/spending where we are not sowing/earning. Period.

P34c3
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Phobia1: 9:32pm On Dec 30, 2015
ironheart:
can you explain like the op did?
ahaha see knockout! o xplain ti laja!

1 Like

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by solidways: 9:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
Sorry I'm not trying to be rude, but that wasn't a good analysis.

The question we should ask ourselves is, how come all this is not happening when SANUSI was the CBN governor. That's the direction we should all look into now. Long before a lot of people going to school in Ghana was born, people has been traveling abroad to go to school. Although we don't have ATM or internet banking then, but people exchange naira to dollar and take it abroad to pay for whatever they want to pay for.

smithsammy:
Good analysis.

Cc:
Lalasticlala
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by solidways: 9:41pm On Dec 30, 2015
Sorry I'm not trying to be rude, but I disagree with you to some extent.

The question we should ask ourselves is, how come all this is not happening when SANUSI was the CBN governor. After the new CBN came on board, he reverse a lot of SANUSI policy and started his own which is creating problem for us now. You didn't see anything wrong with that or criticize him, rather you are blaming it on people using their ATM abroad. People cannot do business again because the cbn governor doesn't know how to handle his own job.

IbXavier:

SCENARIO ONE

Note:

(Reference 3)
SCENARIO TWO
EFFECT OF SCENARIO TWO

The question is simple ,

SUGGESTIONS

CONCLUSION

Reference

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by IbXavier: 10:06pm On Dec 30, 2015
With due respect to all, I read most of the comments and i am happy with some while i notice that some people did not actually understand the spirit of my post. Like i stated , i am not an economics expert , i just used the little knowledge i have to do the analysis , Pardon me for any Blunder, all the same , i believe i made a significant level of sense. Actually , i schooled in Ghana , that was why i focused on the educational sector using Ghana as a case study.

No one is saying Nigerians should suffer , In my post , i equally advised that government should provide an alternative for those schooling abroad and genuine business persons, also our education system should be worked upon to reduce the amount of Nigerians going out to school , this will also encourage foreigners to come and school in Nigeria. there are equally other Aspects that are taking huge chunk of money away from Nigeria. Those taking money out to flex should invest it in Nigeria .

As others also stated , Government should also provide infrastructure to promote investment in Nigeria. That is it. i am sure the money going out of Nigeria to other countries will be more than 10 trillion Naira , though we also have money flowing inwards , however this policy will help prevent politicians and co who waste money abroad, provided the policy is not bias

IbXavier:

All the same, have you ever asked why the value of Naira keeps dropping, Have you ever imagine if exchange rate of naira to dollar stands at ₦500 to $1, Did you make research on why use of NAIRA ATM abroad was ban ? (Kindly read reference 4 to know why). All these will help us understand the effect of the Ban of Naira ATM usage outside Nigeria.

SCENARIO ONE

Note:

(Reference 3)
SCENARIO TWO
EFFECT OF SCENARIO TWO

The question is simple ,

SUGGESTIONS

CONCLUSION

Reference

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by bodmas1000: 10:13pm On Dec 30, 2015
I want appreciate your courage to put this up for criticism and also for revealing your perspective. I enjoyed all the intellectual arguments that is prevalent in the comments that followed your post. However, I wish to let you know that I have reservations about your post like many other Nigerians. I strongly believe the fact that you don't seem to have been chanced to study outside Nigeria, your views lack objectivity and as a result it is one sided. A lot of Nigerians travel to foreign countries to study on scholarship. Guess what? Most of them are sponsored by foreign bodies. I know more than 80 who have benefitted but am sure there are thousands of Nigerians or even millions that have benefitted and are still benefitting. These people return to Nigeria spending the savings from their stipends here in Nigeria. Infact majority spend some of their hard earned foreign currency in the this country by assisting folks and family. So, it's quite pathetic that your argument was based on what is spent abroad not what is coming in. You don't know why we study abroad. Do we care to improve our system? Everyone blames the government, what have we done as an individual to effect change in our society? Nothing but blaming and blaming. We need massive orientation to help Nigerians know that it's our collective duty and not that of the government alone. People will continue to go out to compete where excellence is celebrated for as long as our system celebrates mediocrity. Let me also educate you that cashless policy cannot stand if such restrictions are placed on debit cards. Why are we acting confused? At this current age and time where everyone is talking about cashless policies and banks are making life easier for their customers, we are making life difficult for our customers. I know people from UK, USA, Canada, South Africa who use their cards here. I wonder why we have to make life difficult for some of our citizens because they make less than 20% of the population? What affects one Nigerian should affect all that is what is ideal and what we should encourage. The only way out is to reduce the limit of what u can spend and not outright cancellation. The government should think of Nigerians who study without sponsorship and the fact that they have to travel with a lot of money in cash which sometimes are not allowed depending on the amount.
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by Commentator333: 10:15pm On Dec 30, 2015
IbXavier:

SCENARIO ONE

Note:

(Reference 3)
SCENARIO TWO
EFFECT OF SCENARIO TWO

The question is simple ,

SUGGESTIONS

CONCLUSION

Reference

Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by erico2k2(m): 10:19pm On Dec 30, 2015
IbXavier:

with due respect sir , government can always provide a way out for students and genuine business men and not those who go out to flex, anyone who want to flex should do so in Nigeria.
So cos U can't flex anyhow abroad U see it as wastage? Guy try pray make baba God bless you so U can take ur family on xmas trip to the US. on a cruise trip
Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by IbXavier: 10:24pm On Dec 30, 2015
bodmas1000:
I want appreciate your courage to put this up for criticism and also for revealing your perspective. I enjoyed all the intellectual arguments that is prevalent in the comments that followed your post. However, I wish to let you know that I have reservations about your post like many other Nigerians. I strongly believe the fact that you don't seem to have been chanced to study outside Nigeria, your views lack objectivity and as a result it is one sided. A lot of Nigerians travel to foreign countries to study on scholarship. Guess what? Most of them are sponsored by foreign bodies. I know more than 80 who have benefitted but am sure there are thousands of Nigerians or even millions that have benefitted and are still benefitting. These people return to Nigeria spending the savings from their stipends here in Nigeria. Infact majority spend some of their hard earned foreign currency in the this country by assisting folks and family. So, it's quite pathetic that your argument was based on what is spent abroad not what is coming in. You don't know why we study abroad. Do we care to improve our system? Everyone blames the government, what have we done as an individual to effect change in our society? Nothing but blaming and blaming. We need massive orientation to help Nigerians know that it's our collective duty and not that of the government alone. People will continue to go out to compete where excellence is celebrated for as long as our system celebrates mediocrity. Let me also educate you that cashless policy cannot stand if such restrictions are placed on debit cards. Why are we acting confused? At this current age and time where everyone is talking about cashless policies and banks are making life easier for their customers, we are making life difficult for our customers. I know people from UK, USA, Canada, South Africa who use their cards here. I wonder why we have to make life difficult for some of our citizens because they make less than 20% of the population? What affects one Nigerian should affect all that is what is ideal and what we should encourage. The only way out is to reduce the limit of what u can spend and not outright cancellation. The government should think of Nigerians who study without sponsorship and the fact that they have to travel with a lot of money in cash which sometimes are not allowed depending on the amount.

Thank you sir for your well constructed response , Actually , i schooled in Ghana , i understand how some Nigerians lavish money there , that was why i focused on Ghana. moreso i also recommended it that government should provide alternatives for those schooling abroad , however the amount they can spend should be regulated in other to reduce excessive spending. we are insinuating almost the same thing.
once again , Thank you sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

UNILAG School Fees Increased From ₦‎16k To ₦‎100k - Pamilerin Adegoke / FUTA Expels Six Students Who Attacked A Female Student / Western Delta University Lecturer Rocks Students Wig In Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 227
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.