Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? (22271 Views)

What Will Happen If You Boil Egg Inside Oil Instead Of Water? / History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria / What Is The Meaning Of ACCEPTANCE FEE In Nigerian Higher Institutions...? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Qaisar1: 1:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
Ma sit-down here jare cheesy

Wen conversing with pidgin, you freely xpress yourself & you are easily comprehended by anyone.
#drop_mic

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by youngice(m): 1:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
E concern yoo

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by adonbilivit: 1:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
MemeTroll:
RIP ENGLISH
don't mind d op. he should count himself lucky that pidgin is here as an alternative

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by nasha1(f): 1:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
when u are with friends and family u speak the language u are comfortable with,english,pigin,yoruba,ibo anything dat makes u happy.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by deshysmalls(m): 1:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
English is often seen as a formal language while pidgin on the other hand is used often among students cos of its informal nature and is often used to portray how comfy they are with each other. Any language can be used among students and friends so far its in an informal setting.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by SHAIBULIAR: 1:38pm On Dec 30, 2015
na because pidgin be our lingua franca,while English is our official language

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by CUM4WHAT(m): 1:38pm On Dec 30, 2015
I speak pidgin only among males......... Its fun
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 30, 2015
Afam4eva:
It's not like they can't speak Enlgish. They just feel more comfortable speaking pidgin to people they call friends. The same way students in Ibadan will prefer speaking Yoruba or those in Owerri favouring Igbo.
Abeg 1-orijin 4 you wink
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Tochytee(m): 1:39pm On Dec 30, 2015
Who don hammer with speaking English language

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by slim19(m): 1:39pm On Dec 30, 2015
I even wan stop to dey speak pidgin sef but your English don discourage me

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by obailala(m): 1:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?

In the words of one of my seniors in university ''It is easier to speak'' (and he said this regretfully, as he himself spoke proper English).

Also, pidgin is something of a lingua franca in Nigeria. Go anywhere in Nigeria, and blast pidgin and chances are someone will understand you well....regardless of the tribe.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Godsfavourne(m): 1:42pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?

We, Nigerians will always have problems with speaking English language because it is not natural to us, it is a foreign and borrowed language.

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 30, 2015
adepeter26:
Ma sit-down here jare cheesy
back to ur topic
Wen conversing with pidgin, you freely xpress yourself & you are easily comprehended by anyone.
#drop_mic

With pidgin, am free... As ehh, i kip it rolling
#lobatan

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Brunel(m): 1:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:

Uncle, you sef no sabi speak English well......your post isn't that coherent

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Psalm18: 1:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
Keep being you.
It will pay off someday.
In the corporate world, heck even our civil service as rotten as it is. Sound English is still the official tool for communication.

As for the reasons why, look no further than the dearth of good public schools especially the primary level.
Subeb and ubeb are tools of corruption rather than the purpose for primary school intervention. So these pupils who went to poor public schools cannot get to post secondary schools and suddenly become comfortable with good English.
It's a decay started by the IBB regime and only when we get serious collectively can change come.

Few proposals
1. Make a mandatory percentage for education budget in all states and federal levels

2. Close down our universities for 1 year and holistically build up structures as was done in Ghana.

3. Make teachers package attractive. Let it rival that of politicians who do half of the work and swallow all the money.

4. Stop this asinine policy of sending youth corpers to teach. You cannot give what you don't have. Copper wen speak broken English can only teach with broken English. Rather make college of education attractive again as well teachers training colleges.

As usual with Nigeria, the issue is not so much what policy direction but the political will to make the hard choices.

Who knows maybe you or someone reading maybe the governor of your state. Then you can make a CHANGE.

For now prayer, fast or siddon to look.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by ineedajobfast: 1:45pm On Dec 30, 2015
if you ask me, na who I go ask

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by airsaylongcon: 1:46pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school.

You just gave us reason why they don't speak English. The word is "bothering" not "bordering". And in proper English I'm not sure that sentence is correct. I would think something like "This has been a source of bother..." but as na night school I go wetin I go tok

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by opey112(m): 1:47pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:

Just answer this simple question,English nah my papa language?oga park well.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by RVBC: 1:49pm On Dec 30, 2015
Oga this wan way dey talk no concern me oh!
Am not interested in this topic!
--------------talk true which one sweet pass
-------------to be honest which do you prefer
+++++++Baba calm down enjoy every every
+++++++you need to calm down and speak which you prefer

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by xreal: 1:52pm On Dec 30, 2015
Pidgin english is ours, it's a language that unites Nigeria.
Its a language we can call Nigeria's.

Ours is quite different from Ghanaians, Liberians and co.
Speaking pidgin english doesn't mean you can't express yourself fluently in the Queen's english.

Pidgin english is 'informal' informality here is best described in the French vocabulary/context.
Pidgin english unconsciously brings familiarity compared to the certified english.

You can't pass through Nigerian higher institution without being a pro in it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by manny4u(m): 1:52pm On Dec 30, 2015
Wetin ds one dy talk sef? For your mind now na you sabi speak grammar pass, abeg make I hia word.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by femi4: 1:52pm On Dec 30, 2015
Even at work, na pidgin. We only speak English when having official meetings or during Presentations

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Idrismusty97(m): 1:53pm On Dec 30, 2015
Of all the many things happening in the world this is what is bothering you? To chat with friends on a more personal level the Pidgin English is preferable, In fact English is only used on strangers or for official purpose, Even when toasting girls we used Pidgin. English no be my papa language.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Larryfest(m): 1:55pm On Dec 30, 2015
So now na crime to converse for pidgin or weytin dis op dey talk sef,just because u ar fluent in speaking English dosnt mean u shud crucify d pple who aint dat fluent in it an btw peeps do relate in pidgin nt because dey cnt speak English or something,its just dat pidgin is actually more sweeter. Excpt am on an official duty or surrounding or scoping a babe(dats if she hsnt bitten more dan she can chew which will definitely lead to me putting her in her place) NO English....Pidgin all d way

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by plaetton: 1:55pm On Dec 30, 2015
It is social engineering.

Pidgin English is a fragmented language.
A fragmented language nurtures a fragmented mind.
A fragmented mind creates a fragmented reality.

It was all a very very deliberate, carefully choreographed scheme to prevent the native peoples, today's Nigerians, from nurturing the flexibility of verbal expression that nurtured deep thoughts and critical thinking.

Pidgin , being a bad facsimile of a language, also engenders a facsimile of critical thinking.

There a well documented correlations between the complexity of language and the level of civilized achievements in the areas innovation, architecture, arts, literature, etc.

I guess what I am trying to say in so many words bis that pidgin English, although it looks harmless, was one of the Trojan horses that is part of our colonial legacy.

It was designed to make us stupid by limiting how far and how deep we can think and express our thoughts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by liciouspee(f): 1:56pm On Dec 30, 2015
Joeself1:
most of them only interact in pidgin among themselves, that doesn't mean they can't speak in English .....when it is official and compulsory, they will speak English, and when they are among their peers,nah pidgin fit do am pass grin
I think i'll agree with u on dat my broda. To be frank,me cnt speak pidgin wella bt once in awhile i gat to try so as to feel nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Olukayodeorator: 1:57pm On Dec 30, 2015
Next time, it is bothering not bordering.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by mvem(m): 1:57pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:

.....pidgin or Nigeria Creole will soon be officially recognized...its becoming an identity

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by keionzi(m): 1:57pm On Dec 30, 2015
Read and receive sense.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Idrismusty97(m): 1:58pm On Dec 30, 2015
plaetton:
It is social engineering.

Pidgin English is a fragmented language.
A fragmented language nurtures a fragmented mind.
A fragmented mind creates a fragmented reality.

It was all a very very deliberate, carefully choreographed scheme to prevent the native peoples, today's Nigerians, from nurturing the flexibility of verbal expression that nurtured deep thoughts and critical thinking.

Pidgin , being a bad facsimile of a language, also engenders a facsimile of critical thinking.

There a well documented correlations between the complexity of language and the level of civilized achievements in the areas innovation, architecture, arts, literature, etc.

I guess what I am trying to say in so many words bis that pidgin English, although it looks harmless, was one of the Trojan horses that is part of our colonial legacy.

It was designed to make us stupid by limiting how far and how deep we can think and express our thoughts.
And English is?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Renovation of toilets in OAU Hostel (Photos) / Which Universities Offer Marine Engineering In Nigeria? / Auchi Poly Cut Off Marks 2019/2020 (JAMB & Departmental)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.