Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,897 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? (22268 Views)

What Will Happen If You Boil Egg Inside Oil Instead Of Water? / History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria / What Is The Meaning Of ACCEPTANCE FEE In Nigerian Higher Institutions...? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by yemoxyl(m): 1:58pm On Dec 30, 2015
Because we are NIGERIANS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by liciouspee(f): 1:59pm On Dec 30, 2015
plaetton:
It is social engineering.

Pidgin English is a fragmented language.
A fragmented language nurtures a fragmented mind.
A fragmented mind creates a fragmented reality.

It was all a very very deliberate, carefully choreographed scheme to prevent the native peoples, today's Nigerians, from nurturing the flexibility of verbal expression that nurtured deep thoughts and critical thinking.

Pidgin , being a bad facsimile of a language, also engenders a facsimile of critical thinking.

There a well documented correlations between the complexity of language and the level of civilized achievements in the areas innovation, architecture, arts, literature, etc.

I guess what I am trying to say in so many words bis that pidgin English, although it looks harmless, was one of the Trojan horses that is part of our colonial legacy.

It was designed to make us stupid by limiting how far and how deep we can think and express our thoughts.
Ah! Haba! Abeg bros or sista no vex bt d grammer 2plenty. Pls ehn type or write or speak in simpler tenses

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Adex097: 2:00pm On Dec 30, 2015
Who English help!! here in Uniben, we eat and chew pidgin. if care is not taken, we fit vex write ham for exam and still make an A. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 30, 2015
The OP is only preaching policy of assimilation.. let him be...
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by cold(m): 2:04pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering(bothering) me since I was in secondary school. I am now a in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give [b]a [/b]lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?
Your whole grammatical construction is too pedestrian. Too Nigerian-ish. You don't have the clout to criticise the inadequacies of others. In any event,if you must,you need to ensure all your Ts are crossed and your Is dotted. Just saying.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by gabinogem(m): 2:05pm On Dec 30, 2015
mvem:
.....pidgin or Nigeria Creole will soon be officially recognized...its becoming an identity
I concur. Pidgin is recognise oooh. We do have news in Pidgin English, there's wazobia fm, thus Pidgin is well accepted.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by tobidipity(m): 2:06pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
Yes any language, is pidgin a language. Lets face the truth. I know i cant be perfect in speaking english.

yes mister. pidgin is a language.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by LOVEGINO(m): 2:06pm On Dec 30, 2015
Carry d english go find wrk na.
#Deythere
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by plaetton: 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2015
xreal:
Pidgin english is ours, it's a language that unites Nigeria.
Its a language we can call Nigeria's.

Ours is quite different from Ghanaians, Liberians and co.
Speaking pidgin english doesn't mean you can't express yourself fluently in the Queen's english.

Pidgin english is 'informal' informality here is best described in the French vocabulary/context.
Pidgin english unconsciously brings familiarity compared to the certified english.

You can't pass through Nigerian higher institution without being a pro in it.

Wrong on all counts.

Pidgin English restricts your free expression of thoughts, not enhance it.

Language, by it's very nature, is made of rules that must be obeyed for coherent expression.
The human brain learns language by identifying and obeying these rules.

Pidgin is a lazy cop out from the rules of language.
A subversion of the rules of language is a subversion of the mind.

Like every lazy shortcuts in life, it produces a distorted and fragmented thought patterns.

Pidgin is lazy language that corrupts the thinking pattern.

The op has confirmed why most of our graduates are incapable of articulating coherent thoughts and lack creativity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by chrisxxx(m): 2:08pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?
Bros English is so difficult especially if it is not your first language. It has a lot of rules and when u don't abide you speak tautology. You can hardly be comical with it and that is why Oyibo jokes most times to us are dry.
A critical review of your write up shows several grammatical errors. By the time someone corrects you nineteen to the dozen it will become difficult for you to use the language. It is so full of landmines.
I can pick over five errors in your write up. Please I am not saying I am good. My aim is to elucidate on why most of us prefer pidgin.
It is easier communicating in pidgin since nobody would say you are wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by kunle75(m): 2:11pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?

Its a borrowed language to us,its alien to us,its not our language........simple.

thanks
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by keionzi(m): 2:12pm On Dec 30, 2015
My friend once asked me, why do I always like forming English teacher for them;abi I think sey dem no sabi speak? My brother since then, I always speak pidgin English when am with them. But immediately a girl enters, everybody will switch to Queens English.

Who ever could speak pidgin English with you, no matter how fluent they are with good English is really free and relaxed with you.... Albert Einstein
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by plaetton: 2:13pm On Dec 30, 2015
Idrismusty97:
And English is?

A rich complex language.

Try writing a poem, a novel, a scientific journal or any work of literature on pidgin.

It is a caricature language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by musicwriter(m): 2:13pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:

Pidgin is not for those who didn't go to school but need to communicate. Everybody unless fools speak pidgin in Nigeria. Former president Obasanjo speaks pidgin fluently, Patrick Obiahgbon speaks pidgin fluently, Adams Oshiohmole speaks pidgin fluently, pastor Chris Okotie speaks pidgin fluently, pastor Enoch Adeboye speaks pidgin fluently. This is to name a few. And all these people are more educated than you.

Do you know English language itself is a broken French and German?. English only became an official language in Britain in 1362. Before this it was a creole language like Pidgin is today!.

Pidgin is a creole language that "evolved" from our contact with English people. Just like English language itself evolved as a creole language from French and German.

Pidgin English is the only thing Nigeria benefited from Britain, and should be made our national language like the British did in 1362, cause Pidgin is the only universal language we have in Nigeria.

The challenge to Africa today is how to get people like you to understand you're actually not educated, and that those who can switch between English and Pidgin are.

You're a total disgrace to educated people!. Western education has fooled YOU!.

Everybody please see below videos. Only 4 minutes.

The origin of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaSxhcns7Y
How languages evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDKsHm6gTA

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by aybynature: 2:17pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:
You're very wrong for this.
I'm very confident about my spoken English, i live in America and i see Nigerian University girls as being unable to speak good English.

I got some Nigerian girls phone numbers, They speak polished Queens English, i was Amazed, even them girls that grew up and spent all the lives in the village, They speak good English with no accent.
They were the ones asking me why i still have the Igbo accent after spending many years in America.

Don't try to tarnish the images of my Naija guys.
You think Americans speak good English ??
You will hear them say "Where is you going" "Is you mad ??" I could of done my home work " "Wanna" "Gonna" "I finna go buy some bread" Now tell me if that's a good English.

You probably have been too busy to notice that the words "gonna" and "wanna" have now been included in the dictionary as English words. please check, confirm and understand before arguing.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by otipoju(m): 2:17pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:
I'm very confident about my spoken English, i live in America and i see Nigerian University girls as being unable to speak good English.

I got some Nigerian girls phone numbers, They speak polished Queens English, i was Amazed, even them girls that grew up and spent all the lives in the village, They speak good English with no accent.
They were the ones asking me why i still have the Igbo accent after spending many years in America.

You will hear them say "Where is you going" "Is you mad ??" I could of done my home work " "Wanna" "Gonna" "I finna go buy some bread" Now tell me if that's a good English.

My brother,majority of American english speakers do so horribly. I hate it when I have to dilute mine so that I can communicate well with them oo.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Atmmachine(m): 2:19pm On Dec 30, 2015
aybynature:

You probably have been too busy to notice that the words "gonna" and "wanna" have now been included in the dictionary as English words. please check, confirm and understand before arguing.

What dictionary ??
There are many types of dictionaries.
You're talking about urban dictionary where bling bling is also added.
Urban dictionary ain't no dictionary.
Go get yourself a dictionary.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Fynestboi: 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2015
See as piddgin they look... undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Khd95(m): 2:27pm On Dec 30, 2015
My broda,i dy faya pigin like ak47grin

dat one no mean say i dy slack for english oo,when conditions demand for english,i can still hold my ground,besides pigin na baba,best way to communicate wit folks in d hoodgrin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by aybynature: 2:27pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:

What dictionary ??
There are many types of dictionaries.
You're talking about urban dictionary where bling bling is also added.
Urban dictionary ain't no dictionary.
Go get yourself a dictionary.

Let's use the most recent edition of whatever kind of dictionary you consider a standard dictionary. What type of dictionary would you recommend?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Atmmachine(m): 2:31pm On Dec 30, 2015
aybynature:

Let's use the most recent edition of whatever kind of dictionary you consider a standard dictionary. What type of dictionary would you recommend?
Go get Oxford and search for wanna, gonna and bling bling.
Tell me if you see these words in it
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by bossto(m): 2:32pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:

lol
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by aybynature: 2:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:

Just what I expected and was waiting for "Oxford." That's where I found it though...attaching a screenshot soon, meanwhile, you should thank me.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by possibilita(m): 2:38pm On Dec 30, 2015
Freedom to speak n d simplest is pidgin.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by aybynature: 2:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:

There you go...its not something new, I wonder why you're yet to know this though, cos its been there for a couple of years now.

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by kinz77: 2:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
I will be better to make it official language
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
plaetton:
It is social engineering.

Pidgin English is a fragmented language.
A fragmented language nurtures a fragmented mind.
A fragmented mind creates a fragmented reality.

It was all a very very deliberate, carefully choreographed scheme to prevent the native peoples, today's Nigerians, from nurturing the flexibility of verbal expression that nurtured deep thoughts and critical thinking.

Pidgin , being a bad facsimile of a language, also engenders a facsimile of critical thinking.

There a well documented correlations between the complexity of language and the level of civilized achievements in the areas innovation, architecture, arts, literature, etc.

I guess what I am trying to say in so many words bis that pidgin English, although it looks harmless, was one of the Trojan horses that is part of our colonial legacy.

It was designed to make us stupid by limiting how far and how deep we can think and express our thoughts.

Summary of this epistle pls? undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by plaetton: 2:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
adepeter26:

Summary of this epistle pls? undecided

Pidgin is a language of the conquered people, mentally and culturally conquered people.

It makes us stuuupid.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 30, 2015
[quote author=pretydiva post=41482841]Who English help undecided[/quote

NNE. I tire ooo... I know some Pple that can speak English to any extent Buh can't write a sentence in English..

the poster must be an Igbo man cos Na we de carry English for head like say we de sell gala. other tribes speak their native languages....

end time English with end time post.

you shud go and collect end time award from end time Soyinka for speaking nice English
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 30, 2015
plaetton:

Pidgin is a language of the conquered people, mentally and culturally conquered people.

It makes us stuuupid.

From your own perspective?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by martineverest(m): 3:05pm On Dec 30, 2015
U must be a fool for calling pidgin a language for illiterate.i went to uniben, where pidgin English is the most widely spoken language. We sometimes interact with pidgin with our lecturers. What will say to students that speak their native languages in universities? Pidgin is also a native language of 'bendel' people. Low self esteem Dey worry op.... Pidgin English our own brand of English.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by PencilBox: 3:08pm On Dec 30, 2015
cheesy
MemeTroll:
RIP ENGLISH
grin
MemeTroll:
RIP ENGLISH

grin lwkm! U nailed it. May its soul rest in pieces cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Renovation of toilets in OAU Hostel (Photos) / Which Universities Offer Marine Engineering In Nigeria? / Auchi Poly Cut Off Marks 2019/2020 (JAMB & Departmental)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.